PDA

View Full Version : So, why is it again...

ZexionII
01-07-2010, 09:27 AM
That turbine decided to turn the Infernal Wound of the Cornugon (aka horned devil aka Sally) into a straight up curse?

Let me quote the original ability that curse is based on:

Infernal Wound (Su): The damage a horned devil deals with its tail attack causes a persistent wound. An injured creature loses 2 additional hit points each round. The wound does not heal naturally and resists healing spells. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a DC 24 Heal check, a cure spell, or a heal spell. However, a character attempting to cast a cure spell or a heal spell on a creature damaged by a horned devil’s tail must succeed on a DC 24 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured character. A successful Heal check automatically stops the continuing hit point loss as well as restoring hit points. The check DC is Constitution- based.

So, basically whenever a person is healed when under the effect of the Infernal Wound, the healer gets to make a DC XX Heal skill check, and if suceeded, not only heals in the process, but also removes the curse.

This would be cool functionality to add, if you ask me, adding some bonus (other than slightly increased HP heal from a rest) to the healers who didn't super-minmax from day one, and actually cared to take the very healer-like Heal skill, who most people deem as worthless these days. Of course, to not screw over the many healers who probably do not have the skill, you could always leave the option to remove the wound with a Remove Curse, this would just be a nice little bonus for HEALers playing up the HEALing aspect of their character by actually taking the HEAL skill.

Impaqt
01-07-2010, 09:32 AM
That turbine decided to turn the Infernal Wound of the Cornugon (aka horned devil aka Sally) into a straight up curse?

Let me quote the original ability that curse is based on:

So, basically whenever a person is healed when under the effect of the Infernal Wound, the healer gets to make a DC XX Heal skill check, and if suceeded, not only heals in the process, but also removes the curse.

This would be cool functionality to add, if you ask me, adding some bonus (other than slightly increased HP heal from a rest) to the healers who didn't super-minmax from day one, and actually cared to take the very healer-like Heal skill, who most people deem as worthless these days. Of course, to not screw over the many healers who probably do not have the skill, you could always leave the option to remove the wound with a Remove Curse, this would just be a nice little bonus for HEALers playing up the HEALing aspect of their character by actually taking the HEAL skill.

Its not the Healer that needs to make the Heal Skill Check. Its the Player Effected by the Curse. THe Cleric or FvS just needs to make a Caster Level Check on their Heal Spell.

its a Rather Confusing Description because its Talking about the Heal Skilland the Heal Check witch dont seem to be the same thing at all.... (At least according to the note about the Heal Check being CON based)

Letrii
01-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Its not the Healer that needs to make the Heal Skill Check. Its the Player Effected by the Curse. THe Cleric or FvS just needs to make a Caster Level Check on their Heal Spell.

its a Rather Confusing Description because its Talking about the Heal Skilland the Heal Check witch dont seem to be the same thing at all.... (At least according to the note about the Heal Check being CON based)

Not true, unless character is using heal skill on himself. And the caster level check doesn't remove curse according to the previous rules, it just lets that spell heal normally.

Dungnmaster001
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM

The check isn't con based, the DC of the check is con based (i.e. if the devil's con increased the DC would be higher)

Impaqt
01-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Unless someone comes up withan example of how this could reasonably work in the middle of combat, I say the devs did the right thing.

Schmoe
01-07-2010, 11:35 AM
And the caster level check doesn't remove curse according to the previous rules, it just lets that spell heal normally.

That is technically correct. The caster level check allows the cure spell to work normally. However, the Infernal Wound is removed by a cure spell. So in effect, the caster level check does remove the curse.