PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing something wrong here?

Jasimine
01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
So my paladin reached level 14. I have 269 spell points right now, which I have no clue if that is average or not. I have a Wizardry II ring and the first two SP enhancements that I needed for KotC II with a Wisdom of 14 after gear at the moment. I've used no tomes or anything else.

More and more when I group with other paladins of similar level I notice that their spell points seem to never go down below 4/5ths of their total max SP's. Myself I am using shrines only slightly less often than casters are since I burn through my mana left and right keeping my combat buffs up. Granted I can stretch them out by not using Angel Skin and Zeal except in boss fights but popping my short term damage buff (Divine something or other, the 1st level one). Now the only thing that makes me wonder about these paladins is because it always seems that my kill count is usually two to three times as high as them. They are all two handed or two weapon style paladins by the way, not sword and board tanks.

So is this seemingly prude use of spell points and suffering in DPS because of it common or am I just teaming with people that don't know what they are doing?

Also, just how many paladins that are speccing for DPS actually put the points into getting the rez enhancements? Or even the first tier of it? Seems like devoting 10 AP points into a rez that will feed off of my emergancy button just to rez someone who can't keep themselves upright with out the cleric baby sitting 24/7 is a generally bad use of AP. Or is this something that is more or less expected of paladins, DPS or Tank, to have? Healers have better raises after all and they don't need to devote 1/8th or more of their action points to use them.

SteeleTrueheart
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
DPS paladins do not take the resurrection enhancements, dont worry if you did not. With a decent UMD score you can use a raise dead scroll on the cleric. The cleric can then raise anyone else that needs it.

269 at level 14 is decent. Dont worry if you burn through your SP and others do not. There is no prize for having SP left by the time you get to the next shrine.

Do you have the Extend Spell feat? I find this helps reduce the cost of Zeal, but really it is insignificant SP savings and is really only used to save buffing time esp during fights.

Soon enough you will be doing shroud and be getting a 150-300SP enhancing items.

However, dont let whether or not kill count or sp use by another player affect your judgement of their play ability. Watch what they are doing in the party instead.

ivar415
01-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Also: Holy Avenger NAU! (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dmg35_gallery/tn_DMG35_PG226b_WEB.jpg)

jkm
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
So my paladin reached level 14. I have 269 spell points right now, which I have no clue if that is average or not. I have a Wizardry II ring and the first two SP enhancements that I needed for KotC II with a Wisdom of 14 after gear at the moment. I've used no tomes or anything else.

More and more when I group with other paladins of similar level I notice that their spell points seem to never go down below 4/5ths of their total max SP's. Myself I am using shrines only slightly less often than casters are since I burn through my mana left and right keeping my combat buffs up. Granted I can stretch them out by not using Angel Skin and Zeal except in boss fights but popping my short term damage buff (Divine something or other, the 1st level one). Now the only thing that makes me wonder about these paladins is because it always seems that my kill count is usually two to three times as high as them. They are all two handed or two weapon style paladins by the way, not sword and board tanks.

So is this seemingly prude use of spell points and suffering in DPS because of it common or am I just teaming with people that don't know what they are doing?

Also, just how many paladins that are speccing for DPS actually put the points into getting the rez enhancements? Or even the first tier of it? Seems like devoting 10 AP points into a rez that will feed off of my emergancy button just to rez someone who can't keep themselves upright with out the cleric baby sitting 24/7 is a generally bad use of AP. Or is this something that is more or less expected of paladins, DPS or Tank, to have? Healers have better raises after all and they don't need to devote 1/8th or more of their action points to use them.

i think i ran with you the other day with my little gimp (callon). the raise dead line is kinda silly as there are other ways to get it (i use a ring of the ancestors).

MarshMadness
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Keep in mind you can find thing that will help you save your sp. Like i just found a pair of gloves for my lvl 8 paladin that has 4 charges of DF that i use. I also normally get alot of bull strength and eagle's splendor wands from turning in colllectibles to someone - i think it's Rodulph (sp). Plus u can get the set on korthos that gives you sp back. With veteran status from what i understand you can have two different sets, so you can have say the pathfinders or protectors as well.

Judo
01-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Keep in mind you can find thing that will help you save your sp. Like i just found a pair of gloves for my lvl 8 paladin that has 4 charges of DF that i use. I also normally get alot of bull strength and eagle's splendor wands from turning in colllectibles to someone - i think it's Rodulph (sp). Plus u can get the set on korthos that gives you sp back. With veteran status from what i understand you can have two different sets, so you can have say the pathfinders or protectors as well.

the divine favor clicky you have doesnt increase with level, the spell does, any pally worth his salt burns threw mana pretty quickly, its there, so use it, my pally has zeal, df, AS, and spams sacrifice constantly, /agree with the umd, easy enough to have at least a 39 end game, enough for no fail on heal scrolls and raise dead scrolls

MarshMadness
01-07-2010, 02:09 PM
the divine favor clicky you have doesnt increase with level, the spell does, any pally worth his salt burns threw mana pretty quickly, its there, so use it, my pally has zeal, df, AS, and spams sacrifice constantly, /agree with the umd, easy enough to have at least a 39 end game, enough for no fail on heal scrolls and raise dead scrolls

Ah no wonder i found those gloves it on the broker....well i guess i'll sell it back. Wish i would have known about the UMD thing earlier i would have skipped heal and put points into that instead. I thought only paladins that mc with rogue used it.

Jasimine
01-07-2010, 06:58 PM
No I don't have Extend yet, I'm actually taking that late in the game. Once I get to were I'm comfortable with my will save with out Force of Personality I'll swap it out. Right now tho having my will save into the 20's is just to nice. It's saving me on hunting down a resist item to put on. Also only failing holds and other such nusences on a one has helped me save my party more than a few times when I start watching everyone stand still from spells.

Glad to know that avoiding that line was not a mistake for my build set up goal. My pally is far from perfect (certin point spread issues from a misunderstanding of feats when I first made her) but she performs very well in the role she has. So I'll keep her trucking till I hit 20 and TR and rebuild her with stats moved around a little to make her even more competitive.