PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the little pet D=!

Sheherazade
01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok here it is:

As Sorcerer/Wizard elitist in all D&D games I played so far I had a little pet that I could choose. Like a little spider/rat/dog/fairy dragon/cat all that stuff. They didnt do too much but they all had their small abilities and raised like 1 or 2 of your skills a bit. (Not to forget that they also leveled up everytime you did)

And most important...you can talk to them..pet them..feed them...beat them up...whatever you want and it was kind of usual to have a pet for almost any D&D game I played so far... Sooooo my question is why arent they here? They are like my main reason to play those mages in D&D games D=!

I hope to see them one day...oh and the druid class =P Im also missing that one XD!

Respectful,
Shehe

p.s. since english is not my first language you can keep any grammar errors or typos that you may find and be a happeh littul trollz =)

CavernDragon
01-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Just remember what happens to you when the death of a pet happens.. Down a level you can go.. all kinds of nasty side effects. I'm an old school PnP D&D player, but for this game I'll pass. Play wizards101 if you want a pet and mount

rezo
01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Next time you are playing your caster brake out your "tamagotchi" or go buy on and there is your pet. Pets in this game die very often and aren't useful that much.:D:D :eek:

Lorien_the_First_One
01-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Just remember what happens to you when the death of a pet happens.. Down a level you can go.. all kinds of nasty side effects. I'm an old school PnP D&D player, but for this game I'll pass. Play wizards101 if you want a pet and mount

You don't lose a level when they die in 3.5:

If the familiar dies or is dismissed by the sorcerer, the sorcerer must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude saving throw. Failure means he loses 200 experience points per sorcerer level; success reduces the loss to one-half that amount. However, a sorcerer’s experience point total can never go below 0 as the result of a familiar’s demise or dismissal. A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for a year and day. A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs.

Sheherazade
01-05-2010, 02:24 PM

No mounts please no... But I see your point of a pet that dies too much and probably is not very useful...but oh well its like your favorite food...You somehow always want it at some point even if it would make no difference =P. (aka Cookies D=)

But would it really be so hard to have it like as passive companion? I miss my little fairy dragon or my pixie (hellhound for evil characters >:) )

But how it seems its only sub optimal in a game like DDO =/

Beasey
01-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Could take an idea boiware used in BG2, add the familiar as an invintory item, just don't allow it to be removed, or even make it a daily clicky, if it dies, it just returned to your bag.

Arculea
01-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Another idea, reflecting the XP hit upon familiar dying would be,
that the wizard (and only he) gets less XP from a quest in which his familiar dies,
just like the whole party would get less XP if a hireling dies.
But instead of -5% as for a hireling just make it maybe -2%
And maybe from level 5 when it can talk to its master it might be used as some kind of advance party, which, for example, has a good chance of detecting traps without triggering them (and could also detect hidden monsters in advance)

bigolbear
01-10-2010, 06:22 AM
unlockable via enhancements (some feats may be required):

iron defenders - this may be what your looking for.

i agree tho mage familiars would be kinda nice to have in game.