PDA

View Full Version : Tipping your healer as a thank you.

MeliCat
01-05-2010, 07:21 AM
The person who is mentoring me says it's polite to tip the party healer after a particularly hard dungeon or after a raid.

So I've kind of been doing that - for Shroud I just post it. As I don't know who I post like 1000 plat to any clerics, FVses or bards in the party. (Although I've had an FvS return it saying they didn't want my plat as they would feel crappy as they only used SP.(

Occasionally in dungeons they won't accept plat but I'll give them SP pots if I have them and they will probably accept that (I'm a barb.. it's not like I need them :) )

So... for long time players particularly,
1) Do you tip your healers?
2) If so how much?

I'm a barb but I don't really have my con items yet so I think I'm more squishy than I should be... :(

Kaervas
01-05-2010, 07:27 AM
I'm not a long time player but:

1) Yes - indirectly

2) Four things:

I give them a level appropriate wand part way through the dungeon run if it looks like they need it
I pass them any chest-pulled SP potions unless I'm on a character that also needs them
I take care of my own health between fights with wands/potions
I don't get injured needlessly, to the best of my ability

Those four things are better than any amount of plat given at the end of a dungeon run

Anneliese
01-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Usually the best part you can do to tip a healer is to bring your own stuff - so that he doesnt need tipping.

This mainly consists of clickies and buff&removal-pots - if you dont get damaged - he doesnt need to cast.

Some self healing is also nice, but for a barbarian this can get expensive once you leave the early levels - usually too expensive to heal up fully.

If you feel the quest is really tough for your party, and that only the clerics wand/scroll/pot healing keeps you from failing - give him a wand/pot/scrolls/etc - this is really hard to quantify, because it depends on the specific situation.

Kriogen
01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
I appreciate the tought, but I reject those things. I don't 'work' in games. I'm not taxi-driver or waiter or some sort of personal servant. I don't want 'tipping'.

Be a strong and durable Barb that chops super fast and has a couple of backup pots/clickies. Be prepaired and don't be zerging idiot.

Just be a good player with solid build. Thats all. If you do your part good, healer will be 'jobless' anyway.

MrWizard
01-05-2010, 07:55 AM
i think all you have to do is play a healer and one hand washes the other.

It is the people who are bad players who really soak the healer, and their is never a return on that.

angel_dragon
01-05-2010, 08:02 AM
I play tank types alot and a healer can be your frinde. as for tipping I tip the one that keeps me alive. I have seen runes were the bard dose more healing then the healer. I do keep planty of cure pots and remove pots to help. But as for restinsies you can not get the time from pots that a toon spect for resitances can give. The tips I give are 1000 plat to 10,000 plat pinding on how good the healer dose.
Mana pots pulled from chests.
I do not give wands as most healers do not want them at the higher levels.
I also run a cleric and he dose always love tips just no wands as he has planty to spear, and it takes to long to reset them.

dkrypt
01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
I'd like to see extra-squishie aggro-drawing HP-losing SP-draining players show a little more love to the healers which make their lives possible.

OTOH, I'm enough of a noob to not really be able to tell the difference between when someone is drawing aggro correctly as they should (and paying the price in HP) versus when they're just a poorly designed/played toon.

Heal 'em all, let the GM sort 'em out.

Khazeous
01-05-2010, 08:09 AM
When I thank people I do it by saying "thanks". Tipping, to me, is for situations where the cleric went beyond just their role and really did something to make them stand out. It's not something you do because they did what their role requires them to do.

If a quest was particularily hard or I know I got reckless and the cleric got strained on her resources, I'm more than willing to give up from my supply of spare cure wands I've accumulated.

Another thing is asking for resources. If you absolutely need some wands or cash to buy some, feel free to ask, but it's by no means something you're entitled to get just because you're the healer.

Ash
01-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Four things:

I give them a level appropriate wand part way through the dungeon run if it looks like they need it
I pass them any chest-pulled SP potions unless I'm on a character that also needs them
I take care of my own health between fights with wands/potions
*I don't get injured needlessly, to the best of my ability

Those four things are better than any amount of plat given at the end of a dungeon run

#4.5 - Don't be stupid ;)

Logicman69
01-05-2010, 08:10 AM
On my Cleric, I generally wont accept a tip in most cases. You don't tip the sorc for laying down firewalls, CC, and buffs... so why should my healer be any different. I have had people replace mana pots for me when I use them though. I find this to be more welcome than plat.

When I'm on my tank, I try to be as self-sufficiant as possible. On my monk I will also try to help heal as much as I can (Healing Curse followed by the MCL Finisher) and use my Monk buffs to reduce spell point cost as often as I can.

rimble
01-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I just carry mnemonic pots that I loot, and even choose them as quest rewards instead of loot some times. If a quest is anticipated to possibly dip into their resources (maybe a solo Cleric Shroud for example) I'll give a pot or two in advance. Or if a quest ended up being more difficult than expected and they had to dip into their resources I'll give them a pot or two afterward. It also depends how the healer plays. Alot of them waste spell points on unnecessary Blade Barriers, and in that case it usually just comes down to my mood (to be clear, Blade Barrier rocks, but some characters throw it down EVERY encounter and things often are only alive long enough for one or two passes through it, that seems wasteful to me). If I don't have any pots to give then I usually don't give anything. I probably would if it was a truly harrowing quest, but I can't remember the last time something like that has happened.

Caine52184
01-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I’m usually the one healing but when I do tip it's 1k -10k plat (really depending on how the quest or raid goes), and/or scrolls or pots which is probably on the high side to some people but I have the cash and I appreciate a good cleric. Like myself..most clerics refuse tips but really appreciate the fact that they were offered one when and if they use their our resources.

I prefer a smart player over a tip any day.

Tumarek
01-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Don't want tip on an anvrige mission. Just doing what i'm should do.

If I'm burning scrolls and pots it is welcome, but no must. I'd rather have heal scrolls or pots then money.

But much more important then tipping is selfhealing. Nothing makes a healer more happy then an UMD user whipping out his own healscrolls and helping out.

Kirachan
01-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't tip healer, and I don't get tipped on my cleric either.
In a pug I rarely bother to use any resources with my cleric (not that I have many), so why should anyone tip me, and on my other chars I assume the same for the pug's healer.

Sir_Chonas
01-05-2010, 08:57 AM
I give all SP pots I pull (sometimes passing up other end rewards) on my fighters to give to healers or casters that stay with me for more than 1 quest.

shenthing
01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I play a cleric and a rogue and I'll be rolling up another cleric soon. People (a lot of whom have a pretty recent join date such as myself) seem to think that it is just fine to run through a stack of scrolls or mana pots when you are not doing a quest that really needs them.
When I have a rough run on something and the cleric is chugging pots and wands and scrolls, I try to give them at least something for their troubles. When I run my cleric, I have to keep an eye on how many heal scrolls I've got and my mana pot usage. If I have a bad hound run, I don't expect anything because I know I will potentially be using any number of pots and scrolls and its figured into my expenses, but if I run something like weapon shipment and have to drink 3 freakin pots because there's some fool in the party, a little compensation is nice.
One place you don't want to be is on a cleric's permanent ignore button.

Mithran
01-05-2010, 09:05 AM
If my guild is pugging out the last spots for healers for a raid like VoD, then I'll typically give each of the healers either 10k pp or a stack of Heal Scrolls. I do this before we even leave the starting point for the run through the Subterrane. If I'm having problems attracting a healer for a party, I'll offer compensation in the LFM ad, but most people know that I'll also play my own healer, if needed, and are more willing to play their healers for me.

The problem with tipping healers when a raid goes well is that they usually don't use many resources of their own in those cases. Far better is to tip the healers who stick with a party or raid when it has been a very tough run.

chodelord
01-05-2010, 09:15 AM
good thing I don't play a healer

I wouldn't use any wands, scrolls or mem pots that other party members didn't give me. If the group fails oh well...how hard is it for a healer to find a group?

Aeneas
01-05-2010, 09:20 AM
When tipping it pays to know how much those scrolls and wands the cleric or FvS is using cost them at the store.

Considering that most healers won't have earthshaking haggle scores, they're probably paying nearly full price for everything.

For those of you tipping 1000 plat, try to keep in mind that 1000 plat is roughly equal to 1 raise dead scroll and 1 heal scroll. Tip accordingly.

Anneliese
01-05-2010, 09:22 AM
When tipping it pays to know how much those scrolls and wands the cleric or FvS is using cost them at the store.

Considering that most healers won't have earthshaking haggle scores, they're probably paying nearly full price for everything.

For those of you tipping 1000 plat, try to keep in mind that 1000 plat is roughly equal to 1 raise dead scroll and 1 heal scroll. Tip accordingly.

1000 plat is more like 5-6 heal scrolls and raise dead scrolls have a plat value of 0.6125K plat.

But its a very good suggestion.

Mithran
01-05-2010, 09:27 AM

I wouldn't use any wands, scrolls or mem pots that other party members didn't give me. If the group fails oh well...how hard is it for a healer to find a group?

I'll infer from this line of reasoning that you tip the healers in materials before the run or when they run out of mana, knowing in advance the amount of resources they will expend upon you.

stainer
01-05-2010, 09:39 AM

I keep reading your post and wonder if there is any way I can guarantee that I never group with you. That is an awful attitude. What you are saying would be the same as a rogue that didn't disable traps unless someone provided tools. Fighters that wouldn't tank unless someone gave them a sword. Really bad world view there, Vern. Oh, I see your rep box. You carry your attitude everywhere.

Wow. I don't play a healer, but I sure love it when someone pulls a +2 holy burst of pure good dwarven axe and offers it to my dwarf fighter. I tend to do the same with the stuff I pull. I am 42, but I remember learning something about this kind of thing in kindergarten. You get what you give. Giving healers/wizzies/sorcs/FvS mana pots or wands only benefits you. Its not like you are going to vend them for a ton of money.

Alishandra
01-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I play a cleric and I have learned to heal and buff, who needs what and what things will cost me. I don't accept tips save for mana potions from the barb who is simply going to vendor them. He also gets all those giant axes and such I pull. I am there to heal you, and crowd control a bit. I can fight but am not built for it as much. If you can use a box item I got here you go, the broker dosent need it and it keeps me from getting killified by that giant. I get that sp potion to keep said giant from bashing in your skull, it all works. After a real early point you don't need that much money.

muffinlad
01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I play several Clerics, and Favored Souls, as we as non-healing characters, so I can see tiping from several perspectives-

A) I am a healer, playing with guildies or folks I have teamed with several times before.

- I will use whatever supplies are needed to achieve victory.
-Tips are nice, but not expected, and I may refuse them if I didn't use any resources.

B) I am a healer, playing in a pug, or with people I barely know.

- I will use Wands to bolster healing.
- I will use any wand, pot, or scroll given to me by the party to help the party during the adventure, and I make a note of the giver.
- I will expect that Neut. Poison (non-raid), blindness (non-raid) and remove curse (non-raid) will be taken care of by the player-note above, if someone has given me the means to cure you, I will.
- I will use all my mana to help you in any way I can.
- I will normally tell people before the quest what I expect to do, and what I expect them to do.
- I do accept tips, before or after quest. I don't use the tips to buy a new Wisdom item or tome, I use them to buy pots/wands/scrolls (depending on level).
- Tips do make me treat you better. I am human, and my influence can be bought. I tend to favor the generous.
- Not tipping does not make me treat you worse. I won't stake you in the heart because you feel you don't have to tip.

As a Non-healer-

- I always carry my own Neut. Poison, remove Curse, Remove Blindness, and Best Heal Pots that I can. I also try to carry Heroism, Rage and Barkskin, depending on build and class. I try to find a remove fear item for every character, so I can use that to help the party as well.
- When playing a melee, I tip clerics. from 1k pp to 5k pp typically, with 2k pp the average. I have tip'd more on rough runs when others failed to do so.
- I typically give out pots or wands I find during a quest to the healer.

That is pretty much the "Mostly positive" code I work from...and most of my toons are listed if that offends anyone.

muffinlad

aradelothion
01-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Eve since I saw the light and switched to being a WF wiz (lvl12 atm), I noticed very few clerics healing me anyway :p Still, I've always had an inventory tab dedicated to pots of all kinds, including anti-debuffs, and freely hand stuff like remove blindess/disease/etc when needed, and I generally donate my tokens (Invasion) and ores (Sovereign) to the healer. No plat or sp pots tho, as I'm short enough on those (blew my farmed TP on adventure packs a few days before the sp superstack sale/price bug ><)

Rheebus
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Let's imagine a PUG member being needlessly damaged, time and again.

I try to offer some technical assistance by saying, "please stop running ahead of everyone else, getting hit, and expecting us to heal you."

The player in question replies, "screw you, this is how I play."

I simply cut off the flow of healing.

Then, the player either adjusts his/her style or spends the quest in my pocket.

Tips are wonderful, but never expected. If I want to expend resources to help us through, I will. If not, I won't. :)

Gnorbert
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm of the mind that a PLAYER (not healer specifically) who turns out to be the total hero of the quest and is truly responsible for the successful completion of the quest, is the one who deserves some extra loot or a tip.

I've never been tipped on my barb when I use haste pots to kill things faster when we have no arcane in the group. I've never been tipped for disarming traps on my rogue, thus allowing everyone to get more loot from an extra chest or two.

Tipping or extra rewards are earned by exceptional players that really shine in a quest. The irony is that in most cases that person is someone who doesn't need the extra resources as they are far richer than I. However, I do still carry extra wands to pass off in case the quest turns out harder than I thought. It is not from a "tip the healer" frame of mind though... it's more simply from a "ensure we complete the quest" mentality.

I save my extra stuff for newer players whom I really enjoyed playing with instead.

Shamurai
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Here's what I do:

1) Carry 50-100 CSW pots to top myself off
2) Carry 1-2 Wands (for my Pally, and UMD Fighter/ Rogue) to top myself off
3) When I was lvl 7-9 on my highly aggressive new toon.. I gave the healer 2-3 Raise dead scrolls in case I oopsied and aggroed more then I could kill. (and didn't ask for them back when they didn't need to use them)
4) My Melee toons pass all mana pots to the healer
5) Same for wands above my 1-2 for self healing.

Kronik
01-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I'd say Tips are not needed unless you see a cleric really using a lot of resources to keep your party alive and healthy. Most quests do not require much more than a clerics mana pool, but there are some that can get very expensive.

My tip for you is to pay attention to everyone in the group and give props where props are due. I've seen many a good players get overlooked and underappreciated becasue people lose focus on whos doing what. You may feel obligated to tip a Cleric, when in fact the caster has spent far more on mana pots.

Kalari
01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
The person who is mentoring me says it's polite to tip the party healer after a particularly hard dungeon or after a raid.

So I've kind of been doing that - for Shroud I just post it. As I don't know who I post like 1000 plat to any clerics, FVses or bards in the party. (Although I've had an FvS return it saying they didn't want my plat as they would feel crappy as they only used SP.(

Occasionally in dungeons they won't accept plat but I'll give them SP pots if I have them and they will probably accept that (I'm a barb.. it's not like I need them :) )

2) If so how much?

I'm a barb but I don't really have my con items yet so I think I'm more squishy than I should be... :(

Yes but after the quest. Sometimes people get roped into feeling they have to give a healer something just to get them into parties. That to me is a sure sign you may get a bad healer. Any healer worth a damn goes in wanting to succeed and will use their sp first then resources if necessary. And if there is more then one healer type you would be surprised at how many times its the bard or even a rogue or ranger healing. And many times I had given out wands, potions and money up front only to have the healer completely not use anything and barely do any healing at all.

So im for tipping if you feel the healer went out of their way and they accept it. Or if they made the run smooth, but I learned my lesson long ago about giving anything up front and I tend to try to pass things in chests to especially if I have no use for them or healers can use them (rez scrolls pots) if they are working hard.

As for my barb shes a warforge so the same go to arcanes if your keeping me up you will be compensated. And my healers and arcanes never take anything up front after a quest sure but never before.

unionyes
01-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I used to have a couple of higher level clerics, and have been casually leveling one up lately.

I don't often tip the cleric, and very rarely will I give them cash. On my cleric, I always refuse to take cash or items except in the following circumstances (in these circumstances I will also 'tip' the cleric, although I don't view it as tipping as much as paying for my own silly play).

1. When leveling up, especially in a zerg to complete type of group at low and mid levels, before the Heal spell at least makes it fairly manna efficient to heal a lot of damage. For example, a group of level 3's decides to tackle Tangleroot on hard for the huge xp. There will be a lot of damage taken, and the cleric will be using wands to supplement what is not a lot of manna at that level. This is especially true if the other wand using classes don't pull any of the weight. In this case, I usually give a wand or two to help defray the cost. I look at it as 'we could slow down, play smarter, and take less damage, but we are in a hurry and having fun but why should one person in the party have to buy a bunch of wands to mitigate it'.

2. At high levels, in a pug that doesn't seem to know what they are doing. In this case, I don't feel that the cleric should have to pay the costs of all those Rez and Heal scrolls that we are going through because we don't know our way through the quest. I usually carry some helpful items, and if not and I know we are going into a rough quest or raid I stock up in case they are needed.

On my own clerics, however, I act a little differently. In the zerg leveling groups, I don't use a lot of my own resources. Frankly, if they want to zerg they should be capable of dealing with the damage, and if not they can pony up a wand or two. I will use manna and a suitable amount of wands, but as soon as I start to think about mailing plat to my cleric I pull back and reduce the resources I expend. In the higher level groups, I use resources until I start to think that I am maybe spending too much then I stop. If someone slides me over some scrolls, thats great. If not, then we fail.

techwench
01-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll tip (or at least try to) tip anyone in the party if they're contributing a lot and it looks like they're also consuming a lot.

Stuff I tip healers with:

raise dead scrolls
resurrect scrolls
cure serious wands
cure serious scrolls
sp potions
5-10k plat
stuff in chests that I can't use

Stuff I tip other casters with:

5-10k plat
sp potions
greater ____ potions

Stuff I tip melee and other non-casters with:

5-10k plat
remove ____ potions
cure serious potions
haste potions

gwlech
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I usually carry a stack of 100 HEAL scrolls on all of my toons (CSW wands on the lower ones) and hand them out accordingly during or before the quest.

fognozzel
01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Still being relatively new I don't have excessive funds laying around (though by no means destitute) so I have never tipped in Plat. I will give up any mana pots I come across in the quest or give up some that I have in inventory on characters that carry them. There was one time running on my Rog/Mnk in VoN 1-4 at level that I went and bought something like 20 heal scrolls, 6 raise dead, and three or four CSW wands for the cleric in the group. It had gotten kinda ugly in #3 with the beholders and the Cleric mentioned running low on supplies. He was doing a really good job (all things considered) and was very appreciative.

I guess my thing with tipping is giving 1k plat or even 10k to a vet that has 5 million plat between his/her characters seems kinda silly. Course, you never know who has that kind of funds and who doesn't, so I would say if you're a healer type who is low on supplies/funds don't hesitate to mention it. Some may see it as begging or 'that's your job', but I think I speak for a lot of players that would have no problem sparing what they can to help out the one keeping them alive - just don't want to give it away to someone who doesn't need it.

Fenrisulven6
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't get injured needlessly, to the best of my ability

Thank you. Stupid tactics means I have to waste mana on heals instead of getting to play around with cc and burst dps.

For the OP, when I'm not on my cleric, I pass the primary healer a few max cure wands if we're doing elite. If it looks like he used up resources to get us completion, I throw him any mana pots I have on me.

Memnir
01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I tip my healer by trying to be as self-sufficient as possible and passing them wands or scrolls I find in chests. I pass them plat only if something in the group has gone horrifically wrong and the healer has obviously had to burn through a gross amount of resources in order to keep people up.

Schmoe
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't generally tip. There have been a few rough groups where the cleric was nearly out of spell points long before the next shrine, and in those cases I gave the cleric my mnemonic potions. I figure a cleric with SP greatly helps our chances of success.

That being said, I'm relatively new and haven't yet encountered quests where clerics are burning multiple heal scrolls, etc. I think in those cases, everyone should probably pitch in a little.

underpants
01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
As a healer I only want something if I join a public group begging for a healer and expect me to play in "healbot" mode. If all the fun I get to have is to stand back and heal a bunch of strangers sure I want 20% of the treasure just like a restaurant.

If you are in my guild or people I play with regularly I don't want anything in return for my services in fact I will give away stuff I don't need.

Strakeln
01-05-2010, 01:35 PM
(speaking from end-game perspective)

I have learned to only tip *after* the quest, unless it's a friend or guildie. I used to tip before the quest, the thinking being that they'd make the extra effort to keep me up... but after being burned a few times by clerics leaving before the quest started, I've had to switch to post-quest tipping.

When I tip (something I only do after a resource-intensive quest), I try to give 10kpp-20kpp to each healer. Remember that mana pots are between 8kpp and 10kpp a pop off the auction (on Khyber, at least), so that's really only like giving them 1-2 mana pots.

Any guildie/friend clerics always receive help in form of scrolls/pots/money if they're at all in need, even if I'm not questing with them at that moment. I'll eventually run with them, and healers always remember who tips. ;)

Zlingerdark
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
It doesn't matter to me whether you are the cleric, fighter, or rogue. If I see that we are all doing our jobs to the best of our abilities, as we all should be doing, then there is really no need to tip anybody because everybody participated in the success of the quest. I never understood the mentality of tipping a cleric over that of the rogue disabling traps, or the fighter dispatching throngs of mobs.

What does need to happen with a good playing group is the sharing of the loot, or passing appropriate loot to the character most likely to benefit from the loot.

If a healer, or any character for that matter performs beyond the normal call of duty, usually in the form of keeping my squishy rogue hide alive while incapacitated, thus saving me from a death, then I will certainly offer a genuine, "Thanks!" And in the back of my mind will do my best to return the favor when the time comes. Hopefully in the form of keeping the way clear of traps, and unlocking doors that lead to chest full of loot.

I would never beg for a healer in a group, because I have basically learned to be as self-sufficient as I can, but as a new player I do not have access to tons of plat. I do not buy wands, pots, or scrolls as I could hardly afford them to be effectively stocked. I have to basically farm them via barrel crashing. I have saved numerous scrolls, and pots this way and have basically banked them for future use. Mainly, to give them to some character that can use them, or more importantly actually WANT them. I have tried giving them away before, but I must really be a perpetual lowbie as it was apparent that they were not good enough even to vendor trash.

Anyhow, that is my low angle view of tipping in general. I rather use the term sharing, as that is what we all should be doing with our resources during the quest. I think it is silly to rely so heavily on consumables, when a properly lead party should not need to consume but a modest amount of heal pots, or the occasional remove whatever ailment that cannot be removed otherwise.

Kalari
01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
It doesn't matter to me whether you are the cleric, fighter, or rogue. If I see that we are all doing our jobs to the best of our abilities, as we all should be doing, then there is really no need to tip anybody because everybody participated in the success of the quest. I never understood the mentality of tipping a cleric over that of the rogue disabling traps, or the fighter dispatching throngs of mobs.

What does need to happen with a good playing group is the sharing of the loot, or passing appropriate loot to the character most likely to benefit from the loot.

If a healer, or any character for that matter performs beyond the normal call of duty, usually in the form of keeping my squishy rogue hide alive while incapacitated, thus saving me from a death, then I will certainly offer a genuine, "Thanks!" And in the back of my mind will do my best to return the favor when the time comes. Hopefully in the form of keeping the way clear of traps, and unlocking doors that lead to chest full of loot.

I would never beg for a healer in a group, because I have basically learned to be as self-sufficient as I can, but as a new player I do not have access to tons of plat. I do not buy wands, pots, or scrolls as I could hardly afford them to be effectively stocked. I have to basically farm them via barrel crashing. I have saved numerous scrolls, and pots this way and have basically banked them for future use. Mainly, to give them to some character that can use them, or more importantly actually WANT them. I have tried giving them away before, but I must really be a perpetual lowbie as it was apparent that they were not good enough even to vendor trash.

Anyhow, that is my low angle view of tipping in general. I rather use the term sharing, as that is what we all should be doing with our resources during the quest. I think it is silly to rely so heavily on consumables, when a properly lead party should not need to consume but a modest amount of heal pots, or the occasional remove whatever ailment that cannot be removed otherwise.

Just wait till your raiding. I agree for most normal quests its not even really all that necessary unless the party was really rough on the healer. It happens believe me and not always with a cleric, my bards got offered tips after I jumped in and did the healer role when we could not find a cleric and trust me its appreciated to have someone pass her a scroll or potion to cover what I had to use.

But raids are a whole nother story and many raids especially new ones are going to require consumables. So many players can and will tip at the end if they see the cleric/favored soul chugging pots to keep the raid from falling apart. Not saying you have to change your mentality though just saying their is a reason people do give these things out willingly.

Zlingerdark
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Just wait till your raiding. I agree for most normal quests its not even really all that necessary unless the party was really rough on the healer. It happens believe me and not always with a cleric, my bards got offered tips after I jumped in and did the healer role when we could not find a cleric and trust me its appreciated to have someone pass her a scroll or potion to cover what I had to use.

But raids are a whole nother story and many raids especially new ones are going to require consumables. So many players can and will tip at the end if they see the cleric/favored soul chugging pots to keep the raid from falling apart. Not saying you have to change your mentality though just saying their is a reason people do give these things out willingly.

Oh, I do not doubt the truth of that. Having to basically solo most quests first, because I need to crawl and most groups simply do not, I try my best to make it through the dungeon without losing a single HP. Although it rarely happens, I do learn some basic dungeon tactics to reduce the amount of damage I sustain. I have no choice but to chug down a pot here and there, just to make it to the next rest shrine.

I have not done raids yet, as I am clearly still a newbie-lowbie, but I think the validity of my desire to take as little damage to begin with, and ample knowledge of the quest should be able to lead me through with the fewest resources consumed. Now if raids are meant to be "consumables required" to complete, I find that disheartening. I understand a raid is usually an intense massive group event. Sounds chaotic to me! However, I got to believe that if the raid was done with the mind of preserving SP and consumables, and still have the entire party survive it would be best.

But I am really a dungeon crawler and not a zerger, so I tend to rely heavily on environmental tactics to reduce the mobs ability to damage me or take me out, and improve my ability to single-handedly wipe an entire mob of monsters. When I am in a group I tend to fight differently as most folks run madly towards the next way-point, and sneaking around doesn't allow me to keep up effectively. So I basically chase/follow the person who seems to be leading, and wait for opportunistic sneak attacks to help the DPS, or keep mobs off of casters.

I know I have no clue as to what tactics are require for the higher level quests, and certainly none in the area of raids. But I will stand firmly in my belief that it is possible with the right group cohesion, (which I imagine is rare!) that the party could make it without relying heavily on clickies. If that is not the case, then I would put blame of the DMs for devising a scenario that requires the use of something other than what the normal abilities of the characters, and their typically equipped gear provides. I can understand needing up to 10 critically used pots (whatever they may be, cures, removes, buffs, etc.) but to go beyond that seems excessive to me!

Samadhi
01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
The closest I have to a "main" is a FvS whom I rarely accept donations on. If I do - then you know it was ugly.

As for typing others when I'm playing a different class, I will, but not just because you used resources.

For example:
1) Dungeon was hard but I could tell minimal resources were used - no tip.
2) Healer used a pile of resources because of poor skill on their part (most often by ridiculously over-healing so that they are out of mana before it even gets rough) - no tip. Since I play a healer or bard fairly often, I do feel that I am an experienced judge on this. Over 50% of the time I see clerics going through major resources, it is something on their end.
3) Healer used a pile of resources because of poor DPS from melees or other issues outside of their control. At this point, I might fund the entire run, because I have the finances to do so so why not - the healer did their part and moreso. The only exception might be someone I know. Then I am less likely to donate because, quite frankly, I have probably used the same healing them before.

adamkatt
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Ill only tip a healer as i see fit. A healer that starts a quest already asking for funds will not be partin with me.

techwench
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Ill only tip a healer as i see fit. A healer that starts a quest already asking for funds will not be partin with me.
Yeah...this, too. People who don't ask or don't think they're entitled to something before even starting usually get far more from me - I have a big beef with entitlement issues (this obviously doesn't count for guildies and/or real life friends/family...double standard applies to them).

Caine52184
01-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Nothing irritates me MORE than a cleric entering a quest and immediately states that they need scrolls/wands etc because being a cleric is SOOO expensive :rolleyes:. They get nothing from me except a comment next to their name on my friends list. How ridiculous is that? How are you going to walk in a quest demanding money for resources that you havent used yet or demanding money just because you're a cleric!? :rolleyes:..im getting irritated just thinking about it lol :mad:

MeliCat
01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
(speaking from end-game perspective)

I have learned to only tip *after* the quest, unless it's a friend or guildie. I used to tip before the quest, the thinking being that they'd make the extra effort to keep me up... but after being burned a few times by clerics leaving before the quest started, I've had to switch to post-quest tipping.

When I tip (something I only do after a resource-intensive quest), I try to give 10kpp-20kpp to each healer. Remember that mana pots are between 8kpp and 10kpp a pop off the auction (on Khyber, at least), so that's really only like giving them 1-2 mana pots.

Any guildie/friend clerics always receive help in form of scrolls/pots/money if they're at all in need, even if I'm not questing with them at that moment. I'll eventually run with them, and healers always remember who tips. ;)

YEah...it's end game stuff I'm now interested in... thanks for this. Also for the cost of stuff which angel_dragon mentioned.

And thanks for all the other great advice and opinions in here from everyone... very much appreciated. (Thank you muffinlad for some of your comments particularly)

I have pots for self sufficiency stuff but I think my twitching needs a bit more work (I'm going to start a thread on that - although I suspect a lot of that comes down to experience) and as I said, I prob need a few more items to make me less squishy (working on it... also something I should thread for advice on... only so many slots... what to put where,etc,etc).

I have noticed the healers who overheal. It does seem very wasteful. And I also appreciate all the buffs I get from casters.

I may carry some rezz and CSW scrolls/wands too from now on to hand out - although for a CHA 6 toon that could be expensive. :) :D (Good thing I was given a ring of theives recently).

ghettoGenius
01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
The best gift you can give my healers is to play smart! That said, as a casual player Im not loaded so I'd happily accept any wands, scrolls, pots or plat you might want to offer. Just dont go broke on my account. As a healing class I know the inherent risks (read costs lol) associated with my class.

MylesMDT
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Last night I was with a group running Invaders. There was an annoying player, kept running off from the group, monopolizing the cleric, and talking non-stop on voice chat.

At the end chest, he gained my respect. After all the aggravation, he gifted the cleric a +1 Wisdom Tome that he pulled from the chest.

Wow. That was a great gift. He was still a pain to the rest of us, but that gained him some respect.

Lagin
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Healers are my friend!
I always help healers with cash or scrolls. (you mean you dont keep 50 heal scrolls on you?)

Guildmaster_Kadish
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
If my guild is pugging out the last spots for healers for a raid like VoD, then I'll typically give each of the healers either 10k pp or a stack of Heal Scrolls.

New plan to become rich:

Drop guild.
Join party.
Get money.
Reinvite myself via sigil.
Rinse & repeat as needed!

;)

Good to see ya back after your short break, Brut!

Cyr
01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
T
2) If so how much?

1) Sometimes. When you play long enough you see when the healer is using resources above and beyond the call. If it is due to them being a noob and blowing all their mana on comet falls versus harry then no, if not then yes.

2) In kind for how much above and beyond they had to go. Mana pots are the best tips. In Epic runs I tend to ask what resource expenditure was and chip in for that (to casters or healers). Most other quests just do not require that much resource expenditures besides raids at level or above level.

Horrorscope
01-05-2010, 06:45 PM
The only thing I think to myself that I would like a tip on is paying for a Raise Dead I would use on you.

adamkatt
01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah...this, too. People who don't ask or don't think they're entitled to something before even starting usually get far more from me - I have a big beef with entitlement issues (this obviously doesn't count for guildies and/or real life friends/family...double standard applies to them).

I deff argee with the guildy part! If i think it was a hard quest i make it a point to ask cleric and casters if they need and or want any sp pots/cash from me.

jingseng
01-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm of the mind that a PLAYER (not healer specifically) who turns out to be the total hero of the quest and is truly responsible for the successful completion of the quest, is the one who deserves some extra loot or a tip.

I've never been tipped on my barb when I use haste pots to kill things faster when we have no arcane in the group. I've never been tipped for disarming traps on my rogue, thus allowing everyone to get more loot from an extra chest or two.

Tipping or extra rewards are earned by exceptional players that really shine in a quest. The irony is that in most cases that person is someone who doesn't need the extra resources as they are far richer than I. However, I do still carry extra wands to pass off in case the quest turns out harder than I thought. It is not from a "tip the healer" frame of mind though... it's more simply from a "ensure we complete the quest" mentality.

I save my extra stuff for newer players whom I really enjoyed playing with instead.

Precisely.

Look, thanks for the heals and everything, but did you remember to tip you intimitank for his gear damage and keeping mobs off you? How about your ranger for properly using bane ammo and killing mobs before they ever reach your group? Your wizard for spell components, like the stoneskin he cast on you? Your rogue for using the highest combination of +skill gear to make absolutely certain you can even continue the quest on elite? Or for unlocking the shrine room so you don't HAVE to go to wands and so forth?

How come you didn't tip me when I used my own wands and potions to take the burden off you? Or when i disengaged my own mob to pull stuff off of you while you ran about willynilly? Or when I gave you barkskin and didn't have to?

Try and remember: we group so that each player contributes their abilities to become more than the sum of the parts. To suggest that one role deserves (or frankly, as many would suggest, requires) some sort of extra compensation or incentive in the form of a "tip" is nonsense, and suggests one of two things:

1) that healer isn't needed, and should have been replaced with a pocket cleric hireling

2) that healer could have done this quest on his or her own, and probably should have.

Because let's be real - what many are suggesting isn't a tip at all, but a system of mandatory subsidy to another player. And that's bs.

If healing the group isn't your contribution, and receiving DR in the form of a tank and DPS output isn't the contribution you receive, then you could have soloed. By all means, please do so. I would like to know how well that goes on a higher level quest that is run level appropriate, and certainly on a raid.

One time where I went out of my way to "tip" someone (and who didn't receive tips from the rest of the group) was a paladin... because he spent his own cash money getting turbine pots to make sure we finished the quest. Everyone benefited by getting good loot - including our rogue that couldn't detect or disarm anything - but he paid for that success.

Final words: Kipling Vranch and wavecrasher manifests. FREE cure mod wands (which are apparently some of the most used wands by healers). Although the last time I mentioned that in a party, my healer laughed and said he'd rather buy cure serious wands as being cheaper. Remember, for a game that everyone stresses is about teamwork, it's odd to complain that one class deserves greater compensation. If using consumables to get the job done is burdensome, then learn how to get gold (eg: pawn shops... and note that the pawn in ataraxia does not give more or even equal gold to house pawns) or, if that's still not your speed, try a different character class.

If the problem is your group is comprised of idiots, the solution isn't tipping: it is leaving the group.

techwench
01-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Look, thanks for the heals and everything, but did you remember to tip you intimitank for his gear damage and keeping mobs off you? (yes because there were many PUGs in which I was the closest thing to a tank and know how costly repairs can get) How about your ranger for properly using bane ammo and killing mobs before they ever reach your group? (dunno...I am the ranger, I heal and bane...and even res the cleric with a cake from the store if I do something stupid like...I dunno...draw a beholder back to them and they die :p) Your wizard for spell components, like the stoneskin he cast on you? (yes because buffs and AoE spells and hastes make me happy) Your rogue for using the highest combination of +skill gear to make absolutely certain you can even continue the quest on elite? Or for unlocking the shrine room so you don't HAVE to go to wands and so forth? (yes because even with evasion, traps still hurt like hell if I fail that saving throw)
Yes, I have. ;)

I don't think anyone in this thread ever said that tipping the healer is mandatory. I certainly didn't...in fact, I'd rather drop a healer from my group if they demanded anything up front than submit to their sense of entitlement. But I *do* compensate people all the time if I have the funds, regardless of class (I usually don't have much funds on my alts, but I rarely PUG them, either).

I agree with your notion about not always needing a healer - in fact, in all of my LFMs (for normal quests), I never specifically look for a healer and make sure to add a note to be self sufficient (although, this usually ends up getting a healer in the group, sometimes two). But healers sure do help...and I appreciate it. I also appreciate every other member of my group who makes valuable a contribution, and will compensate the people I feel deserve it.

More people just need to group with me. :p

Feylina
01-05-2010, 08:56 PM
This seems to me to be more of a lowbie / newbie issue.

At end game quite often i'll heal a raid, blow 100 heal scrolls and dont expect and rarely recieve a tip. the only real time i see / expect tipping is when i blow through a mem pots. 3k sp (+mem clicky) and scrolls should be more than enough to fulfill my role.

IDK it's just kinda an unwritten rule. i rarely tip end game clerics for scrolls they use and never see tips for the ones i use. Course on the flip side of that people quite often offer out of course to grab some scrolls for the healers.

When i'm on my lowbies though i do tip but only what i deem it appropriate. i can very closely gage what a healer uses in wands and scrolls and at the end i offer to compensate them when i feel they've used more than what i would deem a fair amount.

Keep in mind i do consider that having heal scrolls and wands (level appropriate) and using them is part of their class and role. I would feel not bad at all if a healer had to blow through 1 wand and a couple scrolls, quest appropriate of course and would not even consider tipping them in this case.

idk just the thoughts of a healer.

Kalari
01-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Meh before I go and game I had to respond to the people who go

You dont see me asking for tips for my awesome dps meh meh (yeah I know im paraphrasing but whatever) kinda tipsy so this may come out ranty...

Come on even though I agree that any healer that asks for tips up front is a tool. Youve got to be frigging kidding me on the "I dont give healers stuff because I do my job ****."

Name me one other class outside a caster/ healer type that has to really spend resources. Even when we beg other players to be self sufficient you still get the tools who think "I can make a 700 hp barbarian and someone will be my pocket healer hyuck!"

Its sickening the flip side to each argument and its always from people who dont really play healers or cant do it. No ones saying your contribution with the blade is not worth anything but who do you think keeps your arse up when your swinging away without a care? Who is it that people expect to chug a pot have a scroll or wand for back up?

It sure as hell aint the fighter with his uber gear.

So that whole argument is total bs (since I cant use the word I want without it being filtered)

OP if you feel you want to tip a healer good on you sometimes you help people out sometimes you get burned. But for those who go "I dont tip because its expected for the healer class to do this.." yeah im glad im a guild healer now some people just make me vomit.

techwench
01-05-2010, 09:15 PM
yeah im glad im a guild healer now some people just make me vomit.
And all this time, I thought it was the booze making you vomit. :p

Ingo
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
..., but I think the validity of my desire to take as little damage to begin with, and ample knowledge of the quest should be able to lead me through with the fewest resources consumed.
!

This is effectively tipping - tipping resource consumption in the cleric's and group's favor. :D You're helping the CRL/FVS avoid a cost burden instead of compensating for it.

Same end result by a different, and less expensive, path.

issiana
01-05-2010, 10:30 PM

2) If so how much?

as a player of primarily clerics and FvS these days - althoughi have played all classes equally but i just like clerics the most, i say keep your money :)

why???

well EVERY CLASS IS A HEALING CLASS!!!!

and as such we all have healing costs. so i'd rather you keep your money and actually buy some healing stuff to heal YOURSELF out of fights. I'm more than happy to keep you alive in the fights, but after the fights how about you top yourself up ;)

now why is every class a healing class you ask...

most builds these days are some form of multiclass or pure class that has umd skill built in, so really its only the one trick pony melees that cant wand heal - but then they can drink healing potions *shock horror at the thought*

healing potions to costly you say? well then buy a few heal scrolls/repair scrolls /wands and ask your freindly cleric/ caster to wand heal you up on the way to the next fight. such an action will get you friend listed and gain you a great in game rep far quicker than sending a healer plat afterwards.

The other issue with sending money to the "primary healer" is i have being in many groups as an off healer (aka bard, umd rogue) where my heals where thought to be the clerics and the said useless cleric who did nothing would then have recieved the money for doing nothing and spending nothing -those types of healers wil lthink nothing of taking your money when it cost them nothing in the first place. also in the worse case situation you hand helaer money/wands first and they DC mid quest never to be seen again :(

so in summary - keep yourself stocked up with all sorts of stuff - (theres being posts in the past about what is essential must have potion supplies) and there will be no need for your healer to spend all his/her money keeping a group alive.

FINALLY.....

ALWAYS PLAY SMART TO!

it really can make quests very very easy and cheep to run :)