PDA

View Full Version : Q about discardded ring in the Collaborator

Desdemonte
01-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I did the collaborator with my new sorcerer on Korthos and got this discarded ring- it gives +1 power (=+10 spell points). I thought- cool I can get another one for the other finger and get 20 extra spell points. No go- I put 2 of them on and only got the 10. Is it normal for 2 items of the same type (rings) not to stack?

thanks,
D

SolarDawning
01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Bonuses of the same type do not stack, with very few special exceptions.
If you had two bonuses to your spell point pool from two different items, the highest applies.

oberon131313
01-04-2010, 10:43 PM
DDO has very specific rules about stacking, and that is namely that like bonuses don't stack. Both rings are Power I, which absolutely won't stack. If you had a Power I item and a Power III item, you'd get the benefit of the Power III item, and the Power I item would be useless.

You will see the same thing as you go along, with spells like Bull's Strength being an Enhancement bonus and not stacking.

There are a few things that break these rules, like Dodge bonuses will stack as long as they are not the same item (2 Chattering Rings at +3 dodge each only nets +3 dodge, but a Chattering Ring and the Chaosguards will give the +3 from the ring and the +2 from the bracers, for a total of +5)

A good rule of thumb, though, is that the bonuses won't stack if they have the same name.

DireWolverine
01-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Items that provide the same bonus don't stack.

Let me explain a bit further: Spell-point bonuses from items don't stack, period, you just get the highest one you have equipped. It does no good to have multiple Power items (unless they provide a further benefit).

Bonuses of the same type - like 'enhancement bonus' - don't stack. Exception: Dodge bonuses to AC stack, always. Exceptional bonuses (high-level items) stack, but only if they are of different numerical values - i.e., +1 Exceptional Strength and +2 Exceptional Strength will give you +3 Strength, but +2 Ex Str and +2 Ex Str will only give you +2 Str.

Racial and class bonuses to the same skill or stat stack; they do not, however, count towards feat prerequisites (so using Halfling Dex and Rogue Dex to get to 17 Dex won't let you take Improved Two-Weapon Fighting).

Matuse
01-04-2010, 11:23 PM
As a sorcerer, you should be getting 20 points for 1 ring.

Guildmaster_Kadish
01-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Items that provide the same bonus don't stack.

Not exactly. See below.

Let me explain a bit further: Spell-point bonuses from items don't stack, period, you just get the highest one you have equipped. It does no good to have multiple Power items (unless they provide a further benefit).

That isn't quite true--items with "Power" won't stack with other items with "Power," or "Wizardry," or "Magi," or "Archmagi." But that isn't because they provide the same bonus (extra spellpoints), it's because they have the same type of bonus. In this case, I'm pretty sure the type is "Enhancement." However, those will very much stack with "Exceptional" bonus types, which can be found on Shroud crafted items.

Bonuses of the same type - like 'enhancement bonus' - don't stack. Exception: Dodge bonuses to AC stack, always. Exceptional bonuses (high-level items) stack, but only if they are of different numerical values - i.e., +1 Exceptional Strength and +2 Exceptional Strength will give you +3 Strength, but +2 Ex Str and +2 Ex Str will only give you +2 Str.

Correct. Also, Amplification bonuses work the same as the exceptional bonuses, except for the Finger Bone Necklace, which has some very odd stacking issues that depend on when you equip it (if you equip it before you equip other healing amplification items, the 10% doesn't multiply with the other items' bonuses; if you equip it after you equip other healing amplification items, the 10% will apply in a multiplicative fashion).

Racial and class bonuses to the same skill or stat stack; they do not, however, count towards feat prerequisites (so using Halfling Dex and Rogue Dex to get to 17 Dex won't let you take Improved Two-Weapon Fighting).

Important to note that while they stack with each other, they do not stack with themselves. For example, Ranger Dexterity enhancements will not stack with Rogue Dexterity enhancements. Also, while these bonuses (of the 'feat' type) and most other bonuses don't apply for feat prerequisites, Inherent bonuses (and only Inherent bonuses) do; they come from tomes.

So, to reiterate: bonuses of the same type don't stack, with a few notable exceptions: Exceptional, Amplification (including healing and % reduction effects, but not % damage increase as seen on potency and efficacy), and Dodge. For the first two, bonuses of like levels do not stack. For Dodge, bonuses from the same item do not stack.

DireWolverine
01-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Not exactly. See below.

I was trying for the Reader's Digest version... ;)

That isn't quite true--items with "Power" won't stack with other items with "Power," or "Wizardry," or "Magi," or "Archmagi." But that isn't because they provide the same bonus (extra spellpoints), it's because they have the same type of bonus. In this case, I'm pretty sure the type is "Enhancement." However, those will very much stack with "Exceptional" bonus types, which can be found on Shroud crafted items.

Ah. I didn't know there were Exceptional Spellpoint bonuses. Thanks for the tip. :)

Correct. Also, Amplification bonuses work the same as the exceptional bonuses, except for the Finger Bone Necklace, which has some very odd stacking issues that depend on when you equip it (if you equip it before you equip other healing amplification items, the 10% doesn't multiply with the other items' bonuses; if you equip it after you equip other healing amplification items, the 10% will apply in a multiplicative fashion).

That's... pretty odd. Must be something off about the coding on that item, I'd guess.

Important to note that while they stack with each other, they do not stack with themselves. For example, Ranger Dexterity enhancements will not stack with Rogue Dexterity enhancements. Also, while these bonuses (of the 'feat' type) and most other bonuses don't apply for feat prerequisites, Inherent bonuses (and only Inherent bonuses) do; they come from tomes.

The 'stacking with themselves' is moot, since if you take (for example) Rogue Dex I, Ranger Dex I won't even show up as an option to take any longer. But yeah, probably important to include if you want to make it a full treatise on the subject...

So, to reiterate: bonuses of the same type don't stack, with a few notable exceptions: Exceptional, Amplification (including healing and % reduction effects, but not % damage increase as seen on potency and efficacy), and Dodge. For the first two, bonuses of like levels do not stack. For Dodge, bonuses from the same item do not stack.

Thanks for the further amplification of my amplification. Guess I gave the 20% and you did the 40%, huh? :)

Guildmaster_Kadish
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
I was trying for the Reader's Digest version... ;)

Thanks for the further amplification of my amplification. Guess I gave the 20% and you did the 40%, huh? :)

LOL fair enough. I've got chronic wordiness, and I haven't yet found a cure. ;)

Desdemonte
01-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the great responses everybody. Very helpful.

ddaedelus
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
D&D, the only language more complicated than English. :D

Visty
01-05-2010, 11:03 AM
it even says in the description that it doesnt stack

Desdemonte
01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
it even says in the description that it doesnt stack

oops- my bad. At least I learned a lot from the responses here though....