PDA

View Full Version : scroll use best practices?

DANTEIL
01-04-2010, 05:58 PM
So, my wiz has accumulated quite a few scrolls, which are almost never used except for inscribing to the spellbook. However, there have been times when SP is low or when the necessary spell has not been memorized that I've tried to pull out a scroll and use it. My success at doing so, however, has been very inconsistent -- especially if it is in the heat of battle. Sometimes, putting the scroll in my active hand and then double-clicking seems to work, while other times I end up watching my toon flailing about trying to use the scroll as a quarterstaff rather than actually activating the damn thing.

So I'm curious to know: How are we supposed to use them? What are the mechanics of using a scroll, I mean? I know that seems like a doofus question, but since I don't want to waste the scrolls I have, I haven't had the heart to experiment in-game.

Also, does it matter, in terms of what you do, if the scroll has a self-buff versus a enemy-damage type effect? For instance, even as I'm thinking about it now, I'm wondering if maybe I'm supposed to click on the target first and then double-click on the scroll. If so, that would be really obvious and stupid of me :)

Freeman
01-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Drag the scroll to an empty slot on a toolbar. Clicking once will equip the scroll, and clicking while it is equipped will use the scroll on whatever is targeted.

DANTEIL
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Drag the scroll to an empty slot on a toolbar. Clicking once will equip the scroll, and clicking while it is equipped will use the scroll on whatever is targeted.

Ah okay.. so maybe it is the whole 'targeting' thing that I'm missing some of the time. I never have auto-targeting on, so it's likely that the waving of the scroll in the air happens when nothing has been selected. Okay now I really do feel noobish. :) Thanks.

Kaldais
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Keep in mind the casting level of a scroll is the minimum required to use the scroll with a minimum stat required.

A 10th level wizard using a fireball scroll is casting that fireball at level 5 with int of 13.

Scrolls are also disruptable.

Freeman
01-04-2010, 08:51 PM
keep In Mind The Casting Level Of A Scroll Is The Minimum Required To Use The Scroll With A Minimum Stat Required.

A 10th Level Wizard Using A Fireball Scroll Is Casting That Fireball At Level 5 With Int Of 13.

Scrolls Are Also Disruptable.

Ftfy ;)

Kaldais
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Ftfy ;)

:p