PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting free to play players a waste of my VIP time?

apacheizm23
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Is there anyway to introduce into the game where one can distinguish free to play players from VIP players? I been playing this game allot less lately but I have heard allot of talk about how hard it is getting groups together especially at the early levels with all the True Res players trying to grind out XP Etc..I have had players tell me to hurry up and get up to there level cause they cant find any decent groups or people to run with because A) they suck. B) there all free to play.

One example I felt for myself was recruiting players to my group then only for them and I to find out that they don't have the content etc And such. 2 much time wasted in sending PM's to people 2 then find out they don't have the content or some other lame excuse. I have spoken to quite a few VIP players and they all have had the same experience and have complained that the XP Grind of True Res is that much harder because of all the NooBs/Free to Play Yadda Yadda.

Its in the Khyber forums as how many errr bad players/ruined runs there has been since the new Unlimited FREE TO PLAY,Buy a 90 minute Vale package etc..

Discuss here. Share you're experiences here...

Impaqt
01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Being F2P or ViP is no magical indication of How good the player is.

If your LFM has the quest selected, it tells the F2P Players that they need to buy the content if they want to join that group.

Cyr
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Perhaps the OP needs a refresher on how you can play the game atm.

You can subscribe monthly and be a VIP. This will let you enter any quest without buying it, but tells you nothing about the quality of the player. There are plenty of new VIPs who are just as bad as the worst F2P players out there.

You can be a F2P and never have spent a cent on the game. This category is most likely as a percentage to have new players in it. Note there are plenty of VIPS/Premium players who also have F2P accounts and some decent f2P players. Not as many statistically though.

Lastly, you can not subscribe but have spent money on the game and be a Premium player. This type of player could own every adventure pack and be a former subscriber for three years...or he could have just spent his first five dollars on the game. There is NO way to know even if you knew if they were premium.

So problem is that there are 3 payment models and none of the 3 really give you a clear indication of how long someone has played (although they could statistically could point in one direction) nor their quality of play. A more useful indicator would be a time account has been played (not active, but actual in game time). This at least would give a way to weed out very new players, super casual players, or if you are a vet hating noob vets...not that it would give you a clear indicator on the noob factor or not since noobs are always noobs no matter how long they play.

So...

/not signed

carlosjuero
01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I bow down before your Elite VIPNess... not.

The level of 'participation' monetarily in the game has absolutely no bearing on whether a player is good or not. In fact, the elitism tends to make some crappy VIP's stick together and perpetuate the idea that there are no good players. You waste your time sending tells? Did you put up an LFM with the quest you are going to do? Pretty sure that most F2P's will see the little red icon saying they don't have content if they pick up a group that way. If you are just blindly sending tells to folks.. well, then thats your choice right? If the person doesn't have the content you have 2 choices - move on, or ask if they would consider buying it with their TP. If you act decent to others, they will act decent back (for the most part).

You know what? I hope Turbine does intstitute a VIP/F2P/Premium flag.. that way its easier to avoid elitist VIPs (sorry, I don't mean to clump all VIP's into that group but since the OP is clumping all F2Ps in a single group..)

Letrii
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Don't forget, F2P people could have done favor grind and bought every pack without spending a cent.

Lagin
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
If your LFM has the quest selected, it tells the F2P Players that they need to buy the content if they want to join that group.
Could this be the smoking gun?
Is this why we get please share when inviting unknown players into the lfm we put up?
They are looking for a free ride?
This is a question, not a retort.

PolarisNC
01-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Could this be the smoking gun?
Is this why we get please share when inviting unknown players into the lfm we put up?
They are looking for a free ride?
This is a question, not a retort.

I don't think so. I'm Premium, and don't have much content yet. "Share" won't get me into quests I don't own - for that I'm pretty sure you'd have to use a Guest Pass.

Before anyone asks, yes: "Guest Pass, Plz" is a hanging offense.

ArkoHighStar
01-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Oddly, before the game was launched, people in beta said the game wouldn't make it 2 months. There has never been a time people didn't state the game was dying. I will add you to the list who think it was dying but have no proof. We did manage 3+ years despite the naysayers.

but was it growing like it is now, not really, we were at best stable at worst slowly losing players.

zorander6
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
removed

jcoffey
01-13-2010, 07:37 AM
DDO is only growing because it is free,with this economy being so bad of course free will win.

gordgray
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Is there anyway to introduce into the game where one can distinguish free to play players from VIP players? I been playing this game allot less lately but I have heard allot of talk about how hard it is getting groups together especially at the early levels with all the True Res players trying to grind out XP Etc..I have had players tell me to hurry up and get up to there level cause they cant find any decent groups or people to run with because A) they suck. B) there all free to play.

One example I felt for myself was recruiting players to my group then only for them and I to find out that they don't have the content etc And such. 2 much time wasted in sending PM's to people 2 then find out they don't have the content or some other lame excuse. I have spoken to quite a few VIP players and they all have had the same experience and have complained that the XP Grind of True Res is that much harder because of all the NooBs/Free to Play Yadda Yadda.

Its in the Khyber forums as how many errr bad players/ruined runs there has been since the new Unlimited FREE TO PLAY,Buy a 90 minute Vale package etc..

Discuss here. Share you're experiences here...

times are hard some people don't have mom and dad paying for the game. also do your self a favor don't wine so much it's A GAME and if you can't handle the F2P go to LOTOR!. I was F2P for a month then I went all in and payed for a Year worth. There are to many ways in the game to not invite NooBs!!!!!!!!!!!! prejudice O also your VIP was not paying DDO to keep it only for VIPS so if you don't wont F2P on then pay all of there monthly bill to DDO and that should solve your problem.

Zippo
01-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Being F2P or ViP is no magical indication of How good the player is.

While you are right. It still allows them to be able to join the group without purchasing it and has been seen by others as well as myself even when it is spelled out some still can't be bothered to read.

Letrii
01-13-2010, 08:11 PM
While you are right. It still allows them to be able to join the group without purchasing it and has been seen by others as well as myself even when it is spelled out some still can't be bothered to read.

A solution I advocate is not allowing anyone without access to the listed quest to join the party. I mean this as the game preventing you from joining, not the party leader.

Strakeln
01-13-2010, 09:13 PM
A solution I advocate is not allowing anyone without access to the listed quest to join the party. I mean this as the game preventing you from joining, not the party leader.
/signed

Zippo
01-13-2010, 09:26 PM

I can agree with that.

Arculea
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Hm, to only allow people who have the necesary AP into the group might be a problem...
after all sometimes people who don´t have the AP get paid a guest pass to be able to take part in the quest/s (and often it wouldn´t make sense to apply the guest pass beforehand as the group might still be waiting for other people to join).

Maybe a better idea would be, to have all people who don´t have the necessary AP, get marked in the group window (for example with a red circle), so that everyone in the group can see at a glance, who has and who hasn´t the necessary AP (so that the leader can decide afterwards, what to do with them, kick them, buy guest pass, tell them to buy the AP or whatever ;) ).
This would also lessen the impact on the game when quests are accidentally flagged as P2P (one such example would be"Hiding in plain sight"....despite being F2P it is marked as P2P in LFM, probably because it is the flagging quest for gaining entry to the restless isles)

lyeman
01-13-2010, 10:08 PM
/signed

I don't mind teaching new people, I really don't, but I don't see why I should be forced to deal with them in every group I put together. Every now and then, I like to actually finish a quest; the whole experience things kind of helps with leveling.

Letrii
01-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Hm, to only allow people who have the necesary AP into the group might be a problem...
after all sometimes people who don´t have the AP get paid a guest pass to be able to take part in the quest/s (and often it wouldn´t make sense to apply the guest pass beforehand as the group might still be waiting for other people to join).

Maybe a better idea would be, to have all people who don´t have the necessary AP, get marked in the group window (for example with a red circle), so that everyone in the group can see at a glance, who has and who hasn´t the necessary AP (so that the leader can decide afterwards, what to do with them, kick them, buy guest pass, tell them to buy the AP or whatever ;) ).
This would also lessen the impact on the game when quests are accidentally flagged as P2P (one such example would be"Hiding in plain sight"....despite being F2P it is marked as P2P in LFM, probably because it is the flagging quest for gaining entry to the restless isles)

They could make guest pass into an inventory item you hand to the player after purchasing in store, they activate and then could join party.

BossOfEarth
01-16-2010, 04:35 AM
...and I find out that they don't have the content etc And such. Select the Quest you're forming the group for. That way, the F2P players can't join your group. Instead we get a big advertisement about the DDO store. It's also nice for the F2P groups because getting invited to an untagged group is a waste of our time too. And also, it makes buying the pass easy.

So, please select the quest when you form a group.