PDA

View Full Version : new social panel suggestion

prettychaos
12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
with multiclassing being a common thing and clerics/fvs who melee etc perhaps a new addition should be added to the lfm. something along the lines of you can select from a variety of party roles which you believe you fit into and lfms can advertise for these instead of advertising for a class and not getting what you want. such roles you could pick from such as the obvious healer, dps, crowd controller, spell dps, etc or things like intimi tank and trap monkey etc.

the system we have atm should still be there but this little addition might make it less frustrating to end up with a battle cleric when you NEED a dediciated healer, i'm all for battle clerics and the like but this would allow them to make their role clear to a party when they join instead of having to announce it and that way you can get another cleric/fvs who is a dedicated healer too.

just a little thought thats been niggling at my mind when you lfm for something and don't get what you need

and yeah i realise you can easily type into the box we need a healer, but from what i see no one reads those and mostly people blindly join any lfm thats lit up for them and then comes the which quest? etc remarks but i guess thats a whole other issue...

DireWolverine
12-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Qui ipsos custos custodiat?

In other words, who enforces the roles? I can select any I want, so I can put my Wizzie in as a Tank. Hey, I've got Mage Armor, Shield, Pro. Evil, Cat's Grace for AC; Fort on my robes, plus Spearblock/Axeblock/Hammerblock items; and Protection from Elements; so I can soak damage with the best of them, right?

This system would, in fact, wind up being no better than what we already have. Sorry... /not_signed.

prettychaos
12-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Qui ipsos custos custodiat?

In other words, who enforces the roles? I can select any I want, so I can put my Wizzie in as a Tank. Hey, I've got Mage Armor, Shield, Pro. Evil, Cat's Grace for AC; Fort on my robes, plus Spearblock/Axeblock/Hammerblock items; and Protection from Elements; so I can soak damage with the best of them, right?

This system would, in fact, wind up being no better than what we already have. Sorry... /not_signed.

yes you could put your wizard as a tank but frankly if i see a wizard tank gives me a heads up on thats not what i want since i want a caster not a self buffing melee which is exactly what this idea was about, getting an idea of peoples play style and not judging them on their class

if a wizard wants to be a tank? so be it, i don't need to accept them to doom my party or get angry at them and boot them for not being what i expect of a class

kaidendager
12-31-2009, 08:16 PM
yes you could put your wizard as a tank but frankly if i see a wizard tank gives me a heads up on thats not what i want since i want a caster not a self buffing melee which is exactly what this idea was about, getting an idea of peoples play style and not judging them on their class

if a wizard wants to be a tank? so be it, i don't need to accept them to doom my party or get angry at them and boot them for not being what i expect of a class

I believe you actually proved his point.

Additional information is always nice, but as far as the varied roles are concerned a simple tell will often let people know. From the group leader's perspective it would be advisable to include specific desires in the description. We have the tools to discern said information already as well as the class information that you deemed critical.

DDO has very murky definitions of such roles anyway: 'Tank' being the obvious example. I just don't see this system as solving anything, but rather forcing bad players to check off roles that good players can get frustrated over in-quest.

prettychaos
12-31-2009, 08:26 PM
From the group leader's perspective it would be advisable to include specific desires in the description.

well i did mention the specific desires being written in the description but as i said people don't read those a large percentage of the time

kaidendager
12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
well i did mention the specific desires being written in the description but as i said people don't read those a large percentage of the time

That is unfortunate. I would say I am lucky then that I have not come across such people with frequency. I understand your issues with the social function (I certainly have my own). I don't see 'roles' as rectifying this problem however as it would be just as simple for someone to check whatever role is needed if they did not concern themselves with the needs of the party.

Fair enough though, I understand your idea.

Memnir
12-31-2009, 08:51 PM
This idea would lead to more LFM chaos than it would alleviate.