PDA

View Full Version : Advice on starting DDO

Gothmag
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
I've checked out some guides, and looked at the basics, but does anyone have some good advice on what I should do upon starting DDO? I'm DLing the engine now...I'll start free trail, unsure about paying in the future, it'll depend on how much play I'm getting out of it.

Couple Questions..should I expect people to be helpful in game, or rude tards?

Tks!
Gothmag

PS. If anyone's game for helping a newb, I'd appreciate a PM.

Lithic
12-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Your first time in, I'd suggest a hack and slash character. Something along the lines of a high strength fighter, ranger, or barbarian. Note, rangers don't have to use bows, and usually its best they don't.

This lets you run up to a monster, and swing till it's dead. You don't have to worry about which spells do what, about what other people are doing, or what to do about a trap, so this lets you keep up more easily with the inevitable speed groups you may end up joining. After a couple levels and you get the hang of the game, then try out the other classes and playstyles.

As for in game, you are likely to meet 4 kinds of people. Rude newbs, rude vets, helpfull (but often clueless) newbs, and helpfull (though sometimes clueless) vets. Its like any other internet community in such respects. Expect lots of idiots, look for the people worth knowing.

Edit: Since you were asking for help, I'd suggest you post what server you are on, and later what your character name is. If anyone from that server feels like helping you out, they can easily keep an eye out for ya.

Blackbird
12-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Couple Questions..should I expect people to be helpful in game, or rude tards?

Yes. Seriously though, most people will be helpful, but there are always going to be some that are less than polite. There's an advice channel in game that should be set up by default when you start. You can access it by typing "/advice your question" in the chat panel. There are usually at least a few vets in there that can answer your questions. It is hard to give much advice before you start playing, but for your first character, I would recommend you take the battle cleric pre-made build. Once you go through a few of the tutorial quests, then you'll likely have more specific questions that we can help you with.

Gothmag
12-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Tks for the swift reply. I haven't started a Char. yet, as I'm still DLing...picked the slower one, and regretting it, lol!

Any server I should pick..does it matter at all?

Lithic
12-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Tks for the swift reply. I haven't started a Char. yet, as I'm still DLing...picked the slower one, and regretting it, lol!

Any server I should pick..does it matter at all?

Thelanis has the rep for roleplaying if thats your thing. If not, then pretty much any server would do. Orien and Cannith are the newest servers, so they tend to be populated with new players, or vets who are embracing starting over from scratch.

Stormanne
12-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Another thing to do would be search the forums a bit to glean what information you can about the game before you jump in. While the majority of people will be helpful, those that are not in the helpful mood, or are tired of answering the same questions again, tend to be more vocal than those that are helpful. Trust me, I'm one of the ones that hate repeating myself....

Aranticus
12-31-2009, 07:29 PM
read my guides :)

Stormanne
12-31-2009, 07:30 PM

and here is a one stop shop of info, including Aranticus' guides -

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=200595

enjoy and welcome

Demoyn
12-31-2009, 07:58 PM

This is good advice. I'd also like to throw in, though, that you'd be very wise to choose a solid, generic build (no matter what class you like) as a first character. Most of the arguments that arise in these forums come from players that don't actually understand the intricacies of this game and what affects that seemingly minute decisions have on their characters. After your first character you'll understand a lot more about where the bars are set and what's needed to be successful.

CountHenri
12-31-2009, 08:51 PM
From my own experience as a returning player :

1. Make a Cleric
2. Put stat points into Wis, Con & Str in that order (Cleric Turning is useless in game).
3. Put up a 'Looking for more' on the social panel with a 'Healbot wanting others' type comment.
4. Heal people in quests (using Cure type spells - Heal skill is actually useless).
5. Stand back & watch while others kill stuff - remember to heal them :)

This is not a long term strategy build or anything but if you want to be able to stand back and learn the game its a good start. You will be guaranteed people wanting to quest with you (healers are always good) & its good training to use the hotbars.

Once you've got a feel for the game roll a new character and go from there.

IanW09
01-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Odd as this sounds, consider signing up in a Permadeath guild.

Although you will find yourself rerolling frequently, I'd do this for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, PD guilds always have people running low-level content.

Second, PD guilds dont zerg - you wont have people running thru the content leaving you going 'huh'.

Thirdly, players in PD guilds either very skilled or they stop playing PD - you have to be when a concequence of dying is re-running Korthos again :) Therefore, they are good people to learn off.

Finally, PD guilds are usually really good about no-spoilers, so if it is your first time through somewhere, then you should get the full experience.

Ghoste
01-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Generally if you ask nicely, people will respond in kind.

If you come across as whiny and/or bossy, you won't get quite as much help.

There is a small portion of the population that regardless of how you ask will treat you rudely.

First thing to do: roll up a warforged battle favored soul. :D:D:D