PDA

View Full Version : Noobie Ranger/Fighter question

DogSoldiers
12-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Hello,

Fairly new to the game but am loving it. I am still making and deleting characters trying to figure out what I want to start off with (it has been over two weeks and I have only gotten 1 character off the noobie island).

One silly question I have- If I were to make a Ranger and then add a level or two of fighter- what would I lose (if anything) by using heavy armor?

Not sure if it matters- but I was thinking of making a TWF Tempest human or dwarf ranger- and do not know if I would be making my character worse by wearing plate armor.

Many thanks!

PS- As I said I still do not know what to play- I joined the VIP program and now have open the 32 point builds- so if anyone has a good suggestion for a good melee build that can solo and not be horrible later- I am all ears (or eyes) :)

Hadrian
12-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Nine levels of ranger grants evasion. If something is based on a reflex save, such as traps or most evocation spells, a successful save negates all damage that would be taken while a failed save takes full damage.

Evasion is only active in light or no armor. Medium and heavy armor "turns off" evasion.

DogSoldiers
01-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Thank you Hadrian.

Now I am more confused on character creation. Instead of Ranger/Fighter do you think it is better to go Ranger/Monk?

IanW09
01-01-2010, 01:20 AM
If you dont know what you're doing - and I dont expect you to, being new and all - stay pure.

The key for rangers solo'ing IMO is simply that cure wands let you heal up after fights, so save your plat and buy them in the Marketplace or an the AH.

When you party, put up a LFM and put 'noob going slowly, no zerging' in the advert, as you wont learn anything from zerging.

Hadrian
01-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Thank you Hadrian.

Now I am more confused on character creation. Instead of Ranger/Fighter do you think it is better to go Ranger/Monk?

Ranger/monk is very popular, but making a complicated multiclass requires some trade-offs and specialization and usually some specific gear. I wouldn't suggest you try to go with an armorless ranger/monk as a first build as they are some of the most gear-dependent characters in DDO. They also tend to have their creation attribute points spread thin, which is a problem for 28-point builds.

You need some knowledge of how you like to play the game in order to make something you know you'll be happy with. You should get a feel for how you would like the character to work by playing the game for a bit and see if that sort of thing is for you. Staying pure as the poster above suggests is good advice, although taking fighter for the extra feats won't kill you. Just expect to wear light armor.

DogSoldiers
01-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks very much for the great responses Hadrian and Ian.

Hmm. Thinking about a pure Warforged Two Handed Weapon Fighter now. I do have the 32 point builds unlocked (so many rerolls and being a VIP)- Heavy STR and CON- and using the racial heavy armor.

I like playing the heavy armor wearing axe melee in MMOs- so I should go with what I like I suppose :)

BARBWIRENROSES
01-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I just joined yesterday an was a wondering how to go about planning out a character? Pretty much a beginner with the computer online game thing so was wondering if there is a mentor / type or help site as to walk a rookie through the steps? Thank you for any and all input on this topic

DogSoldiers
01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
I just joined yesterday an was a wondering how to go about planning out a character? Pretty much a beginner with the computer online game thing so was wondering if there is a mentor / type or help site as to walk a rookie through the steps? Thank you for any and all input on this topic

Hiya Barbwire- I have been using this as a guide:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=147492

Not sure if that is what you mean.

abull74
01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Use this, http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/
It is easy to use and a great tool

I AM THE FPOON!!!