PDA

View Full Version : max dex bonus question please help!!!!

a1ic3
12-30-2009, 11:29 PM
ok ermm..... i have a +3 superior devotion I tower sheild...i am a lvl 12 paly... with 14 dex including a glove with +3 dex....ok i have a +5 fp armour bonus is 13 max dex bonus=1(caps ur dex to ac)

s for my +3 superior devotion tower sheild sheild bonus= +7 .... max dex bonus =2

ok i go down to inventory and i hover my mouse over to AC i only got 1 dex bonus and 7 sheild bonus

my question is shouldnt my sheild giv off 9AC including dex bonus my dex is 14 so 2 mod ...but instead i get 7 sheild bonus instead of 9

im still new to the game so explain in words a newbie can understand....thx alot for your help....

DDO RULES

7-day_Trial_Monkey
12-30-2009, 11:33 PM
You only get your dex bonus once. And it's the lowest allowed between your armor and shield that you get.

Hadrian
12-31-2009, 05:43 AM
You only get your dex bonus once. And it's the lowest allowed between your armor and shield that you get.

This is right, but it sounds like the original poster is a little confused about what the max dex bonus actually means.

You are not granted this bonus as a result of holding the shield or wearing the armor. It is a limitation on your armor class granted by dex modifier. If wearing no armor, your dexterity modifier is added directly to your armor class.

If you wear anything that limits the maximum bonus to armor class that you can receive in this way, the lowest limit that you have will cap your dex bonus there.

So the shield does not grant 7 armor + 2 dex bonus. It grants 7 armor and limits your max dex bonus to 2. The full plate that you wear limits your max dex bonus to 1, which overrides the limit from the shield.

Kaldais
12-31-2009, 11:01 PM
ok ermm..... i have a +3 superior devotion I tower sheild...i am a lvl 12 paly... with 14 dex including a glove with +3 dex....ok i have a +5 fp armour bonus is 13 max dex bonus=1(caps ur dex to ac)

s for my +3 superior devotion tower sheild sheild bonus= +7 .... max dex bonus =2

ok i go down to inventory and i hover my mouse over to AC i only got 1 dex bonus and 7 sheild bonus

my question is shouldnt my sheild giv off 9AC including dex bonus my dex is 14 so 2 mod ...but instead i get 7 sheild bonus instead of 9

im still new to the game so explain in words a newbie can understand....thx alot for your help....

DDO RULES

You are confused by the numbers displayed by item information. I get confused about the new list as well.

Here's a simple explanation.. You only get an AC increase by AC type. IE Shield gives you Shield AC, Armor give you Armor AC. The Max Dex Bonus is actually not a bonus but a penalty, it limits the maximum allowed Dex bonus you can get with your Dex by having that shield or armor, since it's a penalty, the lowest number takes affect.

Example: You have 18 dex using +1 Tower Shield and +1 full plate, and you did not take any fighter Tower shield or armor mastery enhancements.

Your AC should look like this.

10 Base AC
5+1(shield enchantment) Shield AC
9+1(armor enchantment) Armor AC
1 Dex AC (You would normally get 4 from 18dex, because of the max dex penalty, you only get 1 from your dex.)