PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the tomes...

taurean430
12-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Could someone be so kind as to elaborate on the tomes mystery I haven't found answers to yet? I've noticed that at level one you can 'eat' two tomes, and again at level 7. Is that all that can be done regarding tome usage?

Lleren
12-30-2009, 01:41 AM
At level three you can eat any number of +1 stat tomes
At level seven you can eat any number of +2 stat tomes

There are also +3 and +4 stat tomes. I do not know the required level on those.

Only the highest +X tome you have eaten for a stat gives you its bonus to that stat.
The stat bonus from tomes does help you qualify for feat minimum requirements.

taurean430
12-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Thank you for responding, I do appreciate it. The big question for me at this point in my game is whether there will be a chance to 'eat' some of these +4 tomes, and what the level requirement would be to attempt to do so. I'm looking for ways to increase certian key stats on my character to make up for the weaknesses that are becoming more evident as I level and face tougher opposition.

Lleren
12-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Well, as I understand it +3 and +4 stat tomes come from the higher end Raids.

I would suggest not planning on getting them for any stat on a character build unless you have one already in your hands.

taurean430
12-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Due to my lack of knowledge while picking an alignment; I'm in the awkward position of being in possesion of items I cannot use due to my typical choice of chaotic good for my character. I have an offer pending where I can get perhaps two of these tomes. I just don't want to give up my loot and then find that I can't use them at all. This has already happened one time with buying a +2 Dex tome from the AH, and I am still very much missing the plat that it cost.

Lleren
12-30-2009, 02:28 AM
Ah, that explains things, good luck finding the info you need. Never have had one of those tomes in my hot little hands to check the new minimum level on them.

Rawum
12-30-2009, 02:34 AM
+3 and +4 tomes are found in the higher level raids and bind to your character when you pick them up. The min level for them are 11 and 15 respectively.

There is also a very very very small chance that the jester is extra kind to you for giving him coins and that his kindness will take the form of a tome.

As far as increasing stats you will be able to find up to +6 stat items, use enhancements to increase some stats based on race and class, and in time craft items that even higher + stats.

EDIT: 1 more way of increasing stats is you get to choose 1 to increase by 1 point every 4 levels (4, 8, 12, 16 and 20) as part of the level up process.

taurean430
12-30-2009, 02:42 AM
I understand what's being said insofar, It seems I may be communicating my question poorly however. What I am trying to learn goes something like this:

I am level 14 overall. I have in my possesion through trading, a +4 tome. If I have used two lesser tomes at level one; and again used lesser tomes at level 7, will I be able to 'eat' it and increase the stat I'd like?

I've learned painfully through in game money use that I cannot use the +2 tome that I got at level 7. So I gave up on the idea. That was until I read that there are better ones out there; and was fortuitious enough to have someone interested in my loot I cannot use and willing to exchange loot for tome or tomes. I really don't want to repeat the pain of being broke and farming things to sell on the AH forever ( it seemed ) just to find out that I can't use what I worked for.

I hope that's a bit more clear... Help?

Rawum
12-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Hopefully i understand the question. If not i'm sure we can figure out what you are asking and get you the appropriate answer.

Tomes give an 'inherent' bonus to stat abilities. This bonus will stack with base stats from build points, items, and enhancements but not with other inherent bonuses to the same stat.

If you eat a +2 str tome and then a +4 str tome only the +4 will be shown and effectively add to your total stat.

You can eat a +2 str tome and then a +4 cha tome and have both values be effective.

taurean430
12-30-2009, 03:18 AM
I wasn't aware of the 'inherent' status of the bonuses. Thank you for that.

In reference to what I am asking. It seemed there was a level requirement on tomes when I started with them. And also a limitation on the number you could have. I bought +1 to all stat tomes twice when I started at level one. Then at level 7 used tomes on individual stats. In between those levels I could not access tomes in the DDO store, nor was I able to use a +1 tome when I found it in a quest.

So, the stats I want to increase have an inherent bonus of 2. The tome I am looking at is a +4 tome. I'm thinking that I'll net an increase of 2 points on the stat in question by 'eating' it. But I remain guarded about this because of my experience trying to get and use tomes and the game not allowing that in the past. This was why I posed my question in such a way as to find out if there were level requirements.

To further elaborate, the tome I have is still conditional on our agreement for a time yet. Naturally I came here for answers before going any further with the deal.

Rawum
12-30-2009, 03:34 AM
There shouldn't be a limit on the number of tomes that you eat at each level as long as you are of the min level.

For the last toon that i created i used a +1 tome for almost every stat once i reached level 3. There may have been a limit on tomes purchased from the ddo store that i'm not aware of but mine were all either purchased or looted in game.

If you have already eaten a +2 tome of a certain stat then the +4 will give you a total increase of 2 as you suspected. You can mouse over the stat on your character sheet to see the inherent bonus that that stat already benefits from.

I believe the min level for +4 tomes is 15 and are bound to character except for the few given by the festivult jester.

taurean430
12-30-2009, 03:47 AM
There shouldn't be a limit on the number of tomes that you eat at each level as long as you are of the min level.

For the last toon that i created i used a +1 tome for almost every stat once i reached level 3. There may have been a limit on tomes purchased from the ddo store that i'm not aware of but mine were all either purchased or looted in game.

If you have already eaten a +2 tome of a certain stat then the +4 will give you a total increase of 2 as you suspected. You can mouse over the stat on your character sheet to see the inherent bonus that that stat already benefits from.

I believe the min level for +4 tomes is 15 and are bound to character except for the few given by the festivult jester.

Thank you very much for answering this for me. I now see the reason the +2 Dex tome did nothing was because of the inherent bonus already being at two at the time I used it. What a painful lesson that was. It also seems that tis +4 tome must have been the work of the jester. Interesting how that works...

Again, thanks! I repped ya for putting up with me.

Rawum
12-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Happy to help, though i'd be far happier if the jester gave me one of those tomes......

Kiralyn2000
12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
In between those levels I could not access tomes in the DDO store...

Just to clarify this.... The DDO store will not show you an item if:

1) you already have it, and can't use another
(ex: if you've unlocked an adventure pack, it won't be in the store anymore because you *already have it*. Or, if you have a Copper Sigil Of Leveling on your character, the store will show you the Silver one, not the Copper.)

2) you don't meet the requirements for it.
(ex. Until the recent "anyone can buy tomes" change, you couldn't see +1 Tomes until you were level 3. And you couldn't see +2 Tomes until you were lv7. Or, you can't see/buy the Veteran Characters upgrade until you've gotten a character to level 4 the regular way.)

Thailand_Dan
12-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I now see the reason the +2 Dex tome did nothing was because of the inherent bonus already being at two at the time I used it. What a painful lesson that was.

Don't feel too bad. I ate a +3 CON tome I got out of reaver, once. When the same tome showed up on my 20th completion, for some reason, I thought it was a STR tome. Well, after the num, num, num, I realized my mistake. It hurts more now with TR, but oh well.