PDA

View Full Version : Cleave & Greater Cleave worth it?

ivar415
12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Building myself a little Human Paladinette, going with the standard Longsword and board. It´s supposed to be my 100 point dash quest solver.
Now I´m wondering how exactly does the whole Power Attack & Cleave thing work out in these early quests.

100 Point Dash
The Store House’s Secret-6
Heyton’s Rest-6
The Collaborator-12
The Cannith Crystal-6
Durk’s Got a Secret-12
Garrison’s Missing Pack-12
Information is Key-12
Stealthy Repossession-9
The Kobold’s New Ringleader-12
Bring the Light-6
Recover the Lost Tomb-9
Total: Quest-11 Favor-102
I guess I´ll be able to comfortable hit those mobs with a Paldin6/Fighter2. Or should I really bother with the extra Fighter levels, which are mainly for providing the Cleave then Improved Critical feats.

Well that may be too much information, but I guess I just want to know if Cleave & Greater Cleave are another example for feats nobody uses, like Combat Casting or Power Critical.

Forbbidenone
12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Power attack is a build favorite.
Cleave is nice but not essential. (personally)
Great Cleave is in my experience not worth it given the already impressive area Cleave hits.
Also Whirlwind attack is pretty much a waste.

S&B is a slow way to finish quests, you wont need much healing given the AC. But killing will be slow.

Angelus_dead
12-29-2009, 08:48 PM
I guess I´ll be able to comfortable hit those mobs with a Paldin6/Fighter2.
That does not make sense: You won't make it to level 8 from just those quests. You'll hardly make it to level 3.

Well that may be too much information, but I guess I just want to know if Cleave & Greater Cleave are another example for feats nobody uses, like Combat Casting or Power Critical.
The answer to that is yes. It's debatable how much better Cleave is than those two examples... it is low power, but there are rare situations where it can be a big help.

If you simply want to earn 100 favor and then forget the character, then you won't want a generally good build, because your objectives are so divergent. Forget about the normal goals like Power Attack, and just make an elf cleric with weapon focus and one barb level.

ivar415
12-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Ah, I see you got confused about the 100 Favor dash.

This character will be leveled normally to level 8, as I can´t be bothered with the silver sigil grind. Then I´ll try to dual client, grinding the above quests(or others if I get too sick of those) with this char while inviting disposable characters on the main account to earn the favor.

As I´m going with Hunter of the Undead, I kinda wondered if taking 2 fighter levels for the above feats is worth the missing two Paladin levels for Turn Undead.

Also wondering if buying the Catacombs Adventure pack wouldn´t be a bad idea for a Undead Hunter Pally. Will I be able to quickly breeze through these with Turning left and right?

Symar-FangofLloth
12-30-2009, 05:58 AM
Turning pretty much sucks as a cleric, especially if you're doing things above normal difficulty.
I don't know if paladins ended up with full or half turning levels, but either way, your turns are better spent using any of the enhancements you can get. Although I'd guess the AoE light damage one would work in a few places in catacombs fairly well.

ivar415
12-30-2009, 07:11 AM
I dimly remember reading that Paladin & Ranger spells generally work with the full class level. I hope this includes the turning ability.
The Sacred shield I cheaply got + the enhancement would boost it permanently for 3 levels. So at lvl8 I´m dishing out lvl11 turnings on the level 1-3 quest elite mobs. That should help with the boneheaded riffraff, I hope.

Very much suspecting the Eternal Rest (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Seek_Eternal_Rest) spell doesn´t stack with the Sacred shield. :(

Cyr
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Ah, I see you got confused about the 100 Favor dash.

This character will be leveled normally to level 8, as I can´t be bothered with the silver sigil grind. Then I´ll try to dual client, grinding the above quests(or others if I get too sick of those) with this char while inviting disposable characters on the main account to earn the favor.

As I´m going with Hunter of the Undead, I kinda wondered if taking 2 fighter levels for the above feats is worth the missing two Paladin levels for Turn Undead.

Also wondering if buying the Catacombs Adventure pack wouldn´t be a bad idea for a Undead Hunter Pally. Will I be able to quickly breeze through these with Turning left and right?

If you are doing a 100 TP favor grind with an alt on a separate account as the main runner then you most certainly should bother buying that toon sigils on the running account (particularly when they are sale for 10 TP/sigil). This is a simple time/benefit equation and if you are going to get anywhere near enough TP to make this worthwhile to do it would be time saving to have your runner be as powerful as possible so that each run is less time.

ivar415
12-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Neat. Wasn´t aware this still is going on. I´m having trouble finding even a damn copper sigil ATM.