PDA

View Full Version : Tavern Night

Mysterium
12-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I've noticed a fair number of people interested in roleplaying on Orien, but very little roleplay actually happening. Some time ago, Nomli and I attempted to start a guild for roleplayers, but few people showed interest. Pirate Jake started the "Roleplay" channel, but I am generally the only person using it. As these attempts to organize the roleplaying community have failed, I've decided to take a different approach: tavern nights!

This Friday starting at about 9:00pm central time, I will be hosting Orien's first official tavern night in The Phoenix Tavern - just south of the bank in the Marketplace. This should provide a great opportunity for veteran and newbie roleplayers alike to meet and get to know each other. If there's a good showing, I may make this a weekly event, similar to Thelanis Thursdays.

What: RP Tavern Night
Where: Phoenix Tavern in the Marketplace
When: Friday, January 1st, 9:00pm Central
Why: To provide roleplayers with a place and time to meet and interact in character
How: Show up at the tavern and roleplay

Helpful Tips:

If you haven't already, add some kind of character description to your bio. This should be anything that another character might notice about you on first inspection. This gives other characters something to react to, whereas detailed histories don't provide any in character knowledge for them to work with. Example: "Xeldor wears the holy symbol of the Church of the Silver Flame suspended from his neck by a large silver chain."

Type /joinchannel Roleplay to join the RP channel. This is a great way to communicate with other roleplayers on an out of character basis.

Observe. If you aren't sure how to begin, just sit back and watch the roleplay for a while. Read other character's bios for ideas. If you have any questions, the Roleplay channel is a great place to ask them.

Mavren
12-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Sounds cool, I'll see if I can show up. Good luck :D

Elvenspider
12-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Hello, Mysterium and all of the Orien server!

I'm a semi-new player, having only jumped into DDO in the middle of December. I've noticed quite a few roleplayers here and they talk a lot about rp in the general chat of Korthos/Harbour but there seems to be far more complaining about "not enough rp" than people actually going out of their way to do it. Silliness.

I roleplay, but I'm definitely not considered a hard-core rper in DDO. I save it for my weekly pnp D&D games which sadly are on the same night as your tavern event. I will however join the roleplay channel next time I log in. :)

Mysterium
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey, Elvenspider. I'm a "light" roleplayer myself. Hopefully, we'll get more events like this running in the future at times that won't conflict with your schedule. I think having a serverwide communication channel is going to be key in that.

Cupcake
12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Don't listen to Mavren, he's actually a shrimp rogue in disguise. :D

Mysterium
01-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks to Vaill, Melilot, Shifu, Maverick, Arath, Jaer and everyone else who came out for Orien's first Tavern Night. It was a blast, and I'll definitely be hosting another around the same time next week.

We ended up starting a bit early this time, 8pm central, so I'm going to go ahead and push the next one up to 8pm as well. We'll have a thriving RP scene on this server in no time.

madmartyr72
01-02-2010, 09:09 AM
((Good first attempt at getting the rper's together! Once again, sorry I didn't stay for long but I was suffering from the brown bottle flu really bad and my brain was just mush lol!

MordantPlague
01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Darn it! I wish I could have made it but then again...New Years and what not didn't help.

So...is this something we want to do every Friday?

And has anyone thought to make a Server Wide RP Channel maybe? I think that may help just a bit....

Mysterium
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Based on the interest so far, it looks like we will be doing this every Friday. There is a serverwide RP channel - Roleplay - as indicated in the original post. Hope to see you next week. :D

Mysterium
01-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Due to RL responsibilities, I won't be able to make it tavern night tonight. I'm sure you guys can get things rolling without me, though. Have fun!