PDA

View Full Version : What should low level casters do to improve DC?

PopeJual
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
So, I'm throwing Niacs at mobs because I like seeing that 75 damage number pop up above people's heads. :)

I don't like seeing that little "Save" word pop up above their heads, though.

I can throw Magic Missiles instead, but that's 18-ish damage for me right now at level 4 intead of 75-ish.

What should I do to improve my DC in the early game? I just got level 5 for my Sorcerer about 5 minutes ago and I'm looking for options before I head toward my feat choice at level 6. I can farm out some items on my level 10 Paladin, but I'm still not going to be grabbing up a ton of end game loot to pass on to my little Sorcerer yet.

Superspeed_Hi5
12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
My advice know what you are fighting - Niacs is a ray so it is easily avoided and a reflex save negates damage. making it useless against anyone with a decent reflex save. Sure it does great damage when it sticks but you are approaching that point when its time to swap it out for something more useful.

jkm
12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
2 ways

1. find a low level evocation item (or whatever school niacs is)
2. carry a wand/pots of your casting stat and hit it before you cast.

White_Flare
12-29-2009, 02:50 PM
yea i would have recommended a wizard first if you have never played an arcane caster before just for the fact if you mess up a spell you have to wait 3 days between spell swaps. that way u can try them out, see what works and what doesnt because by the sounds of it now you have MM and your so low level your shooting 1 missle and wasting the SP lol.

TalimirTheWiz
12-29-2009, 05:31 PM
DC = 10 + spell level + stat bonus + feat bonuses

As a 5th level wizard, I have managed to get my primary stat (Int) up to 22 for a base +6 bonus. While you could spend a feat on a spell focus to get a +1 to your DC, I prefer to get the Heighten Spell feat. This allows you to increase the DC of ANY spell you chose (cost more spell points, but heck if it works...).

With a wand of fox's cunning I can boost my stat to 25 (doesn't stack with an item) for net result for Niac's of
10 + 1 + 7 + 2 = 20. This is not too bad and although I still see "save" more than I care to, it does seem to work more frequently.

The nice thing about Heighten Spell is that it will continue to improve as I level.

Just remember, warrior type tend to have low will saves; casters, low reflex. Chose your targets accordingly.

Kaldais
12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
So, I'm throwing Niacs at mobs because I like seeing that 75 damage number pop up above people's heads. :)

I don't like seeing that little "Save" word pop up above their heads, though.

I can throw Magic Missiles instead, but that's 18-ish damage for me right now at level 4 intead of 75-ish.

What should I do to improve my DC in the early game? I just got level 5 for my Sorcerer about 5 minutes ago and I'm looking for options before I head toward my feat choice at level 6. I can farm out some items on my level 10 Paladin, but I'm still not going to be grabbing up a ton of end game loot to pass on to my little Sorcerer yet.

A major part of playing a caster especailly a wizard is to know when and who to cast what spell.
There are 3 saves for enemy. Fort.(Most of your instand killing spells) Reflex(Most of your evocation spells) Will(Most of your enchantment, IE CC spells)
You can get the most out of your spells when you know who to cast what spells on.

Generally speaking, Enemy arcane casters (bards, wiz), and rogues has low Fort save usually 1/3 of melee fighters, use instant kill spells such as finger of death, stone to flesh, Discintegrate, you will rarely fail.
Fighter types has low Will save, usually 1/3 of casters, use CC spells such as hold, hypo, etc.
Divine casters has low Reflex save, and somewhat low fot saves, use evocation spells or instand death.

Kobolds, drows. elves, halflings have high dex, thus bonus reflex save.
Dwarves, giants have bonus to con, thus bonus fort save.
undead have high will save, but low fort save.
Creatures without int score cannot be PKed (oozes)
All living creatures can be fingered unless warded that include oozes.

Boosting your Int or primary casting stat will increase your DC by 1 for every 2 stat point.
Getting Spell Focus will increase your spell DC for that school by 1.
Casting Curse, eneveration, energy drain will lower enemy saves for your next spell.
Heighten metamagic will increase your lower level spells to highest DC spell you can cast at a cost.