PDA

View Full Version : What's the best whopper you heard on Advice chat?

Djeserit
12-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I just read I guy who claimed to a quadruple assassination.

Actually he was explaining to a new player that quadruple assassinations are a great way for a rogue to get out of a large group.

I'm sure there are even much better one's out there.

Which is the best you've heard?

* I'm talking actual lies and fish-stories, not just dumb advice (which is 90% of that channel).

stainer
12-29-2009, 09:30 AM
ACK - I got neg rep because of this. Sorry to offend! I was trying to be funny and did so poorly evidently.

Krag
12-29-2009, 09:33 AM
"I just solo'd yer mom"

And the reply certainly was:
"I know your parents too. Nice guys."

Draccus
12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Maybe not in general chat, but in voice chat, while I was playing my sorc, I had a rogue go all ga-ga over the "fact" that he assassinated the red-named boss in Hide in Plain Sight.

The truth was much less exciting anyway. While the group was gathered below the platform buffing and discussing tactics, I simply climbed the boxes, jumped up and casted a max, emp, ext FW on the bosses and dropped down. After all but the final guy died, I told the group to come up. Hazadil was at about 10% health. I hit him with a 450 hp disintegrate while he rogue was sneaking around behind him.

I got the white skull but apparently he got the kill with his uber red-named assassinate ability that's only available to F2Ps ;)

Cedrica-the-Bard
12-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Advice chat: "Jump is a useless spell, Cure Light Wounds is a far better spell choice for a Ranger."

:eek:

Lithic
12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Advice (or maybe general): You should use TP to get hirelings from the store, there are better things to spend your ingame plat on than hirelings.

Demoyn
12-29-2009, 10:36 AM
ACK - I got neg rep because of this. Sorry to offend! I was trying to be funny and did so poorly evidently.

There will always be over-sensitive people in the world. Don't give in to them.

Ingo
12-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Someone on Ghallanda was saying you could combine 100 Festival Twigs and 500 Coal in the Stone of Change to create a firewall clicky. Got a few bites until someone counted up inventory slots for holding the unstackable twigs.

PopeJual
12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I like the bits where I see people tell new users that they can kill someone that is very hard for new players (like the secret Troll in Redfang's lair) with "/death ray" - useable only once per character level.

I've also seen people suggest typing "/death ward" for the secret bonus to saving throws.

ddoplayer064
12-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Gave ya a +1 to balance out the over-sensitive prag that gave you a neg

Ash
12-29-2009, 04:08 PM
there Will Always Be Over-sensitive People In The World. Don't Give In To Them.

+1

Ash
12-29-2009, 04:09 PM

+1

For trying to fix the issue ;)

yes it was poorly worded funny

Rylex_Night-Shield
12-29-2009, 04:10 PM
I think perhaps the worst whopper I ever heard someone tell was as follows...

(new player) /advice "I have a Jeweled Scroll Case in my inventory. What does it do?"
(newb player) /advice "That's a rare drop for magic user to put scrolls they collect into. However, it's currently bugged"
(new player) /advice "is it valuable?"
(newb player) /advice "It is, but only after they fix it in the next update. You can sell it for a million gold easy in the AH. Otherwise, just hang onto it until the update fixes it"
(new player) /advice "wow, thanks a lot. I was thinking about starting a wizard so it'll be great to have now".

I ask the newb guy why taunt a new player like that with lies? He said he didn't know what I was talking about. I said that it's a leftover from Korthos village storehouse quest. He then tells me that isn't true because he found his in a chest in Sacrifices out on the island. So, he was hanging onto it too for the update. I guess trying to explain to him that it's junk was pretty pointless too...

Ash
12-29-2009, 04:10 PM

two minutes apart is my post lag i guess

well now he got double bumped :P

twix
12-29-2009, 04:11 PM

same

Horrorscope
12-29-2009, 04:13 PM
"ALT-F4 brings up the Advanced Skills List".

sotnaszehcnas
12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
I've been playing ddo since the waaaay back to the OG beta and in Tempest Spine, I have heard this phrase repeated often (even to this day :) ) near the end of the poison corridor - "If you pull that lever, you could get a +5 Mithral Fullplate!" And watch some poor soul fry to a crisp by a double dose of fire.
Now, I've never fell for it, just sounded too good to be true. Have to admit, it is funny to see who falls for it (I like to say it during guild runs :D ). But only then, :rolleyes: .

hydra_ex
12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I like the bits where I see people tell new users that they can kill someone that is very hard for new players (like the secret Troll in Redfang's lair) with "/death ray" - useable only once per character level.

I've also seen people suggest typing "/death ward" for the secret bonus to saving throws.

Those are the 2 best tricks I've heard yet.

stainer
12-29-2009, 04:32 PM
two minutes apart is my post lag i guess

well now he got double bumped :P

I had 29 rep before my mess up and now I have 34. My little green box is important to me. Thanks!

Demoyn
12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
I had 29 rep before my mess up and now I have 34. My little green box is important to me. Thanks!

I'd negative rep you if I could just for surrendering to the crybabies. If you changed your post back I might think about giving you positive rep, though.

Demoyn
12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
+1

Thanks... that almost counteracted the negative rep I got for the same post. :)

stainer
12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
I'd negative rep you if I could just for surrendering to the crybabies. If you changed your post back I might think about giving you positive rep, though.

Its copied in the post right below it. If I was really worked up about it I would ask them to change it.

malicia
12-29-2009, 05:00 PM
<newbie> This evasion feat sounds great, so if i get it on my fighter i will take no damage from a successful reflex save on a spell or trap that requires a reflex save for half damage?
<me> Yes thats right, but you have to be wearing light or no armor to evade, so a Mith BP or Robe for example.
<noob> that is a lie, you can evade in any armor your class has proficiency with
<newbie> so i can still wear a full plate and get it?
<noob> yes!

Ybbald
12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
I thought those boxes were for postcount O_O
No wonder mine hasn't been going up

karnokvolrath
12-30-2009, 05:28 PM
The other day i heard this one and thought it was funny.

(Trade) (name) Want to Trade +1 dex tome for Royal Guard Mask.

Now that just ....
http://yovia.com/blogs/boldcityinnovation/files/2009/10/double_whopper_with_cheese_menu_labeling.jpg

EDIT - That evasion myth has been running rampant on Argo. Also someone tried telling someone the other day that evasion always works and had nothing to do with saving thows *boggle*

Rapthorn
12-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Didn't happen in advice chat, but I encountered someone in a Tempest Spine raid that was talking about seeing a ranger in a previous quest using a vorpal bow and he wanted one. A few of us tried valiantly to inform him that vorpal bows do not exist and we received an in-depth detailed account of him watching this ranger vorpal things with his bow... "The mosters glowed blue when they died and everything"

I even tried explaining about slaying arrows but to no avail...

so I did what any reasonable person would do...

/facepalm

/sigh

/squelch

Memnir
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
"Khopesh is a waste of a feat - long swords are just as good in every way. I've done the math on this!"

...sigh.

karnokvolrath
12-30-2009, 05:53 PM
"Khopesh is a waste of a feat - long swords are just as good in every way. I've done the math on this!"

...sigh.

I dont even respond to that one anymore, bastard sword commonly get the "dude these are totally the uberest" quite often. :)

karnokvolrath
12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Biggest whopper ever though...came on guild chat the other day :)

Guildie - Guys i only got like two hours, i got a date tonight.

DasLurch
12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Biggest whopper ever though...came on guild chat the other day :)

Guildie - Guys i only got like two hours, i got a date tonight.

That is awesome!

I'm a big fan of the "you can see how many times you've died on each character by using the /death count command. I usually see it pop up after every new mod/update a few times.

MeliCat
12-30-2009, 11:13 PM
That Fred would suck my brains out.

?

?????

The things people tell new players...

whoamilol
12-30-2009, 11:18 PM
a certain warforged wizard harasser said, "Protip: If you reach level 10 with fewer than 10 deaths you can get a special title. Check your /Death Count"

7-day_Trial_Monkey
12-30-2009, 11:37 PM
"My bow user has awesome dps."

toughguyjoe
12-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Extra Ketchup extra pickles hold the Onions hold the tomato....

Oh wait. What?

deadmanet
12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
<newbie> This evasion feat sounds great, so if i get it on my fighter i will take no damage from a successful reflex save on a spell or trap that requires a reflex save for half damage?
<me> Yes thats right, but you have to be wearing light or no armor to evade, so a Mith BP or Robe for example.
<noob> that is a lie, you can evade in any armor your class has proficiency with
<newbie> so i can still wear a full plate and get it?
<noob> yes!

Ran into that one just the other day. The noob would not listen, even pulled a qoute straight from the compendium where it says light or no armor, but he insisted that since the in-game description didn't say it, it wasn't true. Finally, /telled the newb and explained how it really works, and just let the noob believe he gets evasion in regular 'ole FP. What else can ya do? *shrug*