PDA

View Full Version : LF Help with multiclass wizard? maybe with rogue?

BuyerSeller
12-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Hello, I have a L14 wizard right now and I am planning to reincarnate him when I get to 20 as a wizard again. I am warforged and plan to stay warforged. Can anyone tell me the benefit of doing 2 rogue/18 wiz ??? Is there a real benefit? what are the pros and cons? I like to solo a lot and would like the best solo character possible. If you feel this is a good combo feel free to give me advice on how to place my stats also. I can use +2 tomes on any stat I need at L7. TYVM!

Noctus
12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
CON:
* loose the Capstone (which is very good)
* less Spellpoints
* less Spell Pen
* reach new spell levels later

PRO:
* can deal with traps. On a level much higher than a normal rogue, as these cant afford to max out INT.
* Evasion

You sacrifice casting power for trapskills and higher survivability due to Evasion Very handy if you dont have another person with trapskills in your group.
Shrinks to only having Evasion as an advantage, if you have a trapguy in your group.

Dragavon
12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
This is a tricky question, as staying pure on a wizard is very good due to the nice capstone wizards have.

I think it depends on your playstyle more than anything else.

If you think you will enjoy playing a wizard with 2 rogue levels and thus trapskills/UMD, by all means do so. It has the potential to be a very good rogue, as well as a great party buffer. You can make pretty hot firewalls too, those dont suffer much from loosing 2 levels wizard.

If you, on the other hand, enjoy using instakill spells, it is a very bad idea to MC like this. You loose very valuable points in caster level, spell penetration rolls, the very good wizard capstone and quite a bit of mana ofc.

BuyerSeller
12-29-2009, 12:18 PM
CON:

* less Spellpoints

* less Spell Pen

* reach never spell levels later

I don't understand reach "never" spells later?

Yes the less spellpoints always suck, but it would not be that much.

From what I have looked at the spell pen would be the same. Since I would get the past life feat that gives +2 spell pen and I can get the +1 spell pen to all - so +3 spell pen. My wizard now at 14 has the greater spell pen feat for +2

I also would have VERY high UMD right? So wouldn't I be able to use rez scrolls and other cool cleric scrolls? The way the game is now and possibly just the times I play, there are times when I am stuck soloing A LOT. I love to solo so that is no big deal. This is another reason I am thinking about doing it.

I also see the level 8-9 spells and they really aren't that spectacular imo. Yes they are OK, but I would be fine with only having one at a time. Ugg, it is such a hard discision lol.

EDIT: Well, I just tested it with my vet status and 32 P build and I started with 2 levels of rogue first and then 2 levels of wizard. I am very disappointed that once I start going wizard with 18 int I only get 6 skill points and training in rogue skills still counts cross training so it takes more. All those nice rogue skills across the board and only a few can be trained now. This is making me re-think the entire process now /cry

JeffreyGator
12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes you need to space out your rogue levels a fair amount.

I'm weird in that my wizards spend a lot of time hitting things so the other advantage I get from 2 or 3 rogue is backstabbinging which works as long as I don't have aggro or the enemy is blind (glitterdust being one of my favorite spells)

My current reroll will take the 2nd rogue level at character level 7 after getting haste. I think my third rogue level is 15 or so and from 16+ I'll have max search, disable, umd and locks. You are right in that umd and search and disable eat through your base int darn quick.

There are other albeit minor skill advantages that the 1rst rogue level give you, tumble instead of feather fall, 1% haggle prices, better jump/swim/balance etc.

BuyerSeller
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Ohhh, so that is my problem I suppose. I should start with rogue, and then level wizard for levels then do rogue again? I didn't know that. That might be good then. I just want 2 levels of rogue, so what level should I do my second rogue level for best effectiveness? Level 7? Like you said you were doing?

I can still do everything with just two levels in rogue cant I?

redraider
12-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Wiz/Rog's rule! You lose very little in going 2 Rog. Great casting. Great trap skills. Damn near impossible to kill. I can't imagine going Wiz without the 2 rog levels. If you want pure casting power, go Drow Sorc. If you want to have the most fun coming up those 20 levels, go WF and rog at 1, wiz to 12, rog at 13, then the rest wiz.

An absolute blast! Hey, who can make the swim in Crucible? That rangers scared! Oh, the Wiz can do it! Those aren't our firewalls, run barbs and fighters, hey, the wiz stayed and killed them all. Wiz/Rog's RULE!

There is a bit of a drop off at end game, but if you build toons alot, you spend months getting to 20 and then play them sporadically at end game while you make new tunes. This game, IMHO, isn't about end game grinding, it's about making your way to 20!

BuyerSeller
12-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Hmm, OK that sounds cool then! I will go rogue 1 then wizard I think until I get L7 spells then the next level after that I will go rogue and then the rest wizard.

LAWPRE
12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I have several Wiz/Rog/Cle or combos thereof in PnP. They get most of their dam by SA on rays (ray of enfeeblement, etc.). However, I am having trouble using this effect in DDO. Is this because it does not work that way in DDO or that I am judging distance wrong or that the mobs are low level and dying before SA takes effect? THX

Noctus
12-30-2009, 12:51 AM
I don't understand reach "never" spells later?

Typo.

Should have been "reach new spell levels later".

corrected.