PDA

View Full Version : Spell Component Bags

Diarden1
12-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Turbine. There's a serious problem on your innovation end.

You have developers who decided that a Soul Gem bag and Hireling Folder was more important than a spell component bag. How many Hirelings does one need to be irritated by the amount of bag space they take up. How many people need to store Soul Gems? How many casters and healers use up 8 to 12 spaces within their backpacks to store their spell components?

Lets get real. Stop wasting your time with idiotic ideas and do things that really matter. Lets get some spell component bags in here.

markusthelion
12-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree to certain extent that spell components space could be a problem, but since I don't play a sorc or wiz I really have no say. However I do play fighters, rangers, and barbs and I can say that components probably take up no more space than wep's on my guys (mostly twf'ing). I mean I carry around 25-30 different axes most of the time and that could be prevented as well. The idea may be crazy but I say if there are component bags, why not let their be wep bags as well, everyone could use more space. ;)

Cedwin
12-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Yes, a weapons bag, and we need a clothing bag for all of our armor and outfits as well. Oh and a cookie jar for our cakes and cookies. Also can we get one big bag to put all of our little bags in?

Runehammer
12-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Acually they had mentioned adding a spell component bag way back before F2P but as I recall there was some problem with using the components while they were in the bag.

Syrovi
12-28-2009, 02:16 PM
/signed

I constantly have a shortage of space.
A spell component bag and a potions bag will do nicely. I ALWAYS have 20 to 30 slots filled with potions and then 5 to 10 with spell components.

Superspeed_Hi5
12-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I thought they could not add this due to the fact that the bag would require you to remove the component prior to casting the spell. Which would eat up time. I seem to recall some coding issue where if components were in the bag the spell would not recognize that it was avaialable and read missing spell components.

ddoer
12-28-2009, 02:21 PM
/signed

Letrii
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
We don't have bags due to limitation of the code, until they figure out how to allow spells to use the components from bag, you won't see them.

JOTMON
12-29-2009, 07:45 AM
I hate to say it....

Eschew Materials
Cooldown: 1 seconds
Usage: Active (Toggle)
While this metamagic feat is active, normal material components are not required,
but spells consume 2 additional spell points.

mmm cookie jars........

Bah... Hireling folders but no Scroll folder, is DDO saying casters are incapable of organizing their scrolls?
Seriously even if we can't use them directly from the folder at least let us store the various scrolls.

/signed

shenthing
12-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Agreed, we need spell components bags. Also, the weapons toolbar in your inventory should also be available for rings and a cookie jar would be nice but I seriously dont expect it anytime soon.

Flasharte
12-29-2009, 01:14 PM
When i played PnP most DM's would require you to explain how and where you carried all your inventory. Keeping your stuff organized and fitting it all in the space provided is part of the challenge of the game.

but yea, i agree i wish we had scroll cases, potion pouches, comp bags, and a donkey to carry it all, cause its not the most entertaining challenge of the game.

I especialy wish it when i invite a cleric to join a pug and she says " im not playing now im just doing my inventory"

Atenhotep
12-30-2009, 06:40 AM
I especialy wish it when i invite a cleric to join a pug and she says " im not playing now im just doing my inventory"

That's called a brush off.

We use it when people send us invites assuming we can't read the Social Panel our own.

Tin_Dragon
12-30-2009, 03:45 PM

You have developers who decided that a Soul Gem bag and Hireling Folder was more important than a spell component bag. How many Hirelings does one need to be irritated by the amount of bag space they take up. How many people need to store Soul Gems? How many casters and healers use up 8 to 12 spaces within their backpacks to store their spell components?

Lets get real. Stop wasting your time with idiotic ideas and do things that really matter. Lets get some spell component bags in here.

/signed,

And this sure as heck isnt the 1st, or the 100th time someone's asked. Really, enough is enough.

Mirta
12-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Yes, yes, and for the millionth time yes.

We don't have bags due to limitation of the code...

Code is only as limited as the developers who write it. Maybe we just need some new developers.

KillEveryone
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure if this particular suggestion for spell components has been put out but...

A backpack tab that will only hold the spell components. It could scale to how many components that your caster can actually use incase you multiclass a caster and would be able to use more than 9 different components. The tab could automatically be in your backpack when you have/are a caster class.

It doesn't really need to be a separate bag like a gem bag and since components are able to be used from the backpack then this should be much more doable.

There is plenty of space on the other 3 sides of the backpack storage window to allow for more tabs.

honkuimushi
12-31-2009, 07:20 AM
As people have said, it's a tech limitation. If you've ever used the quivers in game you may have noticed that it can only pull from the top stack when your current stack runs out. You can't put ammunition in quivers on your hot bar and switch. It makes quivers much less useful. Also, when you flag for Tor, if you don't take the relics out of your collectable bag, he can't see them. A similar issue is involved in spell componant bags.

Last I heard they were still working on them and I await the results eagerly. But I don't expect it anytime soon. They may have to redesign bags from scratch to get them to work.

Merlocke
12-31-2009, 08:13 AM
/signed

Arwinja
12-31-2009, 08:23 AM
I truly do think this would be a great asset. making it a different inv. slot sounds like a good idea, maybe make it a favor/Quest line reward for the Twelve?

I know that it would probably comflict with other rewards and/or the Coin Lord Favor rewards (more inventory slots...) but it seems feasible.

erethizon
01-04-2010, 03:55 AM
That's called a brush off.

We use it when people send us invites assuming we can't read the Social Panel our own.

Actually there have been more times than I can count in other games where I declined to join a group solely because I did not have the space to carry the loot I would have gotten in that group. Limited inventory space is my biggest complaint of the vast majority of RPG's I have played.

And while I know it is a “waste” of a feat, I take eschew materials for all my pure casters. If there were a feat that gave me an extra bag I would take that too. Anything that makes it easier to play without having to worry about how much space is in my pack makes the game more fun and that is the best feat of all.

Krag
01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
I agree to certain extent that spell components space could be a problem, but since I don't play a sorc or wiz I really have no say. However I do play fighters, rangers, and barbs and I can say that components probably take up no more space than wep's on my guys (mostly twf'ing). I mean I carry around 25-30 different axes most of the time and that could be prevented as well. The idea may be crazy but I say if there are component bags, why not let their be wep bags as well, everyone could use more space. ;)

/signed

Kaervas
01-04-2010, 05:01 AM

I'd prefer if each player had a certain number of weapon slots that actually physically held the weapons inside them, causing them to take no inventory space, and seamlessly switch.
When changing between weapon sets, no actual transfer of weapon/shield/ranged weapon to and from the inventory would occur.
As an example with 4 weapon slots, A through D, you could place a sword and shield in A, a pair of vorpal axes in B, a greatsword in C, and a bow in D. None of these would take up any inventory space (they would still count towards encumbrance). When you switch between any of these 4 sets, there is no clutter. The weapons you are currently stowing away do not just fall to the first available slot in your backpack mingling with the chest loot you just pulled.

If anyone played Icewind Dale II, you'd know the kind of system I am talking about.

The primary downside is that each set is standalone, so if you have a certain offhand weapon/shield that you wish to use in multiple sets, you must switch the mainhand weapons the normal way (by just dragging 1h weapons onto your hotbar/manually equipping them from the inventory window).

On topic though, I would love a spell component bag, but more importantly I feel that a scroll bag is needed first, even if you cannot use scrolls from inside the thing (which means it's possible to have one with the current tech).
Scrolls are more expensive, you generally don't carry around a thousand of a given scroll like you do for reagents, and when a player takes random inventory item damage it hurts much more losing a scroll even compared to more expensive reagents like Stoneskin's Diamond Dust, especially if you carry certain scrolls that are drop-only, such as Dimension Door.

chubbs99
01-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Oh yay a topic I was thinking of making myself reciently. So sorry for the long post :o

I can remember a time before the bags even existed, and when they first brought them in you had your Red for collectables, and Blue for Gems and everyone got a small bag free (and if i remember right even new characters got them), which was nice at the time. Some time later I quit for a while, came back and seen they had now introduced Quivers into the game... Since everyone at the time know how bad bow dps was I think the only one's who had it were the repeater rogues cause they could go threw a bag of bolts per quest. Downside to the quiver is you couldn't equip from it. I stopped playing again soon after seening that the game was still full of protien (lots of bugs), lagg, and not much in the line of new. Come back again and I see they have a bag for pretty much everything. Just missing a bag for spell components and stray kittens... The latter I'm glad not to see, but no Spell component bag was a little W.T.F?! momment.

I saw someone use the "limitation of code" excuse... but picture this
With the bags we currently have the game is able to access the contents with no user interaction. Quiver auto reload if you have the same item thats currently equipped, I think it even goes to the next item if the first situation is false (atleast I think it use to).
Collecters will take your collectables right out of your bag
Merchants will take gems right out of your bag

so there is some automated access, and granted some modification of the code would likely have to be done so that when you cast a spell requiring component {x} it not only checks your backpack but your components bag too. Infact I know this kind of code would have to be written, those of you who are flagged for shroud likely noticed it too, but when you make your Shavarath Signet Stone it automaticly goes into your bag (if auto gather is on) and the npc doesn't know to check your bag, so you have to pull it out to show her to finish flagging then get to stuff it back in the bag.

Personally I liked the method of solving this problem that casters would get a spell component invintory panel (Bag 0 if you will), this would take very little editing I would think, since spells already check your bags, and assuming the coders remember to start counting at zero this should take little more intigration then making the tab. If Bag 1 is currently coded as Bag 0, well just make it Bag 10 then. If the dev's ever decide to be nice enough to grant us more bag space this allows some room, and I would assume that the code involves loop that checks each bag you have currently anyways.

---

As for comparing weapons to components and crying that they take up so much space. Think about it for a second. A component is usually just a handfull, this is why they come in stacks of 100. A weapon has to be Hung from somewhere on the body to get at it (also why in PnP its a move action to switch weapons unless you drop the weapons, then I believe its a free action). The bags act like bags of holding (Grow in weight but not size), put your armory in a bag and now you get to go fishing for those vorpal amongst your paralizers and elemental situationals, You would need a bag the size of a backpack and just to hold them, and then you likely would be "fishing" do you really expect a mob to stop and wait for you while you try and find the right weapon for the job... atleast in DnD you had component bags, and any good caster would have a few so that their steaming Bull Dung wouldn't get all mixed with their Diamond Dust

dkrypt
01-04-2010, 07:31 AM
/signed

Also, a wand quiver or wands holder of some kind would eliminate some storage frustration too. I would compare such a thing to a missile weapon quiver, which can hold 3000 arrows but zero wands ;)

Lorien_the_First_One
01-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if they followed D&D rules and didn't require us to inventory and buy spell componants for anything other than the "special or expensive" type componants? Honestly the current system is stupid. We are supposed to have a "spell componant bag" and it is assumed we are stocked with all standard ingredients at all times.

KillEveryone
01-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if they followed D&D rules and didn't require us to inventory and buy spell componants for anything other than the "special or expensive" type componants? Honestly the current system is stupid. We are supposed to have a "spell componant bag" and it is assumed we are stocked with all standard ingredients at all times.

It is kinda silly making us buy components since they are bought in huge stacks to make sure we don't run out and they are not really expensive either. Granted, lowbies can't buy stacks of 1000 but they can get enough that even if they use a spell a lot, they will still be able to make more than enough money to cover the cost of the components because they really are not that expensive.