PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new F2P group

RedSpectra
12-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone,
I have a group of real life friends who I play Guild wars with, and I’m trying to get them to come over and try DDO. One of the things that they have concerns about is the micro transactions model. They are used to the guild wars model of paying, in which you pay one flat fee and you have access to all areas in a section. I don’t think they would be willing to grind out a lot of points, but I do think they would be willing to pay some money if it goes a long way.

Questions:
How long does it take to gain a level? We play probably about 5ish hours a week, if that. How long would it take us to get to 20?
When do you have to start buying adventure moduals? What should I buy? Do the following adventures look good to recommend to my gtoup?
Would the following list get us up to level 20, without grinding the same quest over and over and over and over? I have’t played DDO since 2006, so I’m having trouble remembering these things!

Level 1-5: free quests, STK: 250 points
Level 6-10: Free quests, Tangleroot,Sorrowdusk: 950 points
Level 11-15: Demon sands, Gianthold: 1800 points
Level 16-20: The Vale of Twilight. The Devils of Shavarath: 1350 points

Sigils 740
Total points spent: 5090

Thanks!

DasLurch
12-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Questions:
How long does it take to gain a level? We play probably about 5ish hours a week, if that. How long would it take us to get to 20?
When do you have to start buying adventure moduals? What should I buy? Do the following adventures look good to recommend to my gtoup?
Would the following list get us up to level 20, without grinding the same quest over and over and over and over? I have’t played DDO since 2006, so I’m having trouble remembering these things!

Level 1-5: free quests, STK: 250 points
Level 6-10: Free quests, Tangleroot,Sorrowdusk: 950 points
Level 11-15: Demon sands, Gianthold: 1800 points
Level 16-20: The Vale of Twilight. The Devils of Shavarath: 1350 points

Sigils 740
Total points spent: 5090

Thanks!

Your chart would definitely get you to 20. There is currently a lot more XP in the game than is needed to cap a character. My only sugguestion would be to swap out the Sorrowdusk quests Delera's Graveyard. Better XP for your lowwer levels. At 9 you can start to head out into the Demon Sands.

That said I'll try to answer your other questions....

1) It can take anywhere from 2-3 hours or 2-3 weeks to gain a level depending on playstyle and how fast you are trying to level. Your first 2-3 levels will go by quickly. After that, it depends on the quests, party make-up, party skill, etc, etc, etc.

2) As to how long it takes to get to level 20, I can't really say. If you are just trying for level 20, you could problably do it in 3-4 weeks with about 5 hours playtime a DAY. Once again it depends on all the things listed above. Being in an expierienced guild/group helps a ton.

3) Will you have to grind stuff over and over? More than likely at some point. Especially at higher levels. There are some benefits to that though. You will need multiple rewards at some point to craft in the Vale area. You will want to just quest for gear at other times to improve your characters. Other times you will be out hunting in the slayer areas. Most likely you will want to run many of the quests to max out your XP gained though by completing them on N/H/E, and thus getting favor.

4) The Modules you selected are pretty good ones. I mentioned before the only real change I'd make. As to when you should "buy" them, I'd say when you are ready to run them. Once you purchase them, they are your for as long as the game is running. You will also have access to them on all servers. The only ones that are "MUST BUY"'s are the Vale and Gianthold so far. The Devil Battlefield is also the only real option for high end content still. (Dreaming Dark be damned :) ) You also may want to look at the last part of the Necropolis chain. There are some decent quests out there, but it's also one of the best slayer areas in the game (the best IMO).

Hope that helps some, and enjoy!

Executie
12-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Sigils are only 10 TP each at the moment, might want to jump on that.

Kiralyn2000
12-28-2009, 08:36 AM
And you also have a reasonable chance of finding the lower level ones in quests. (Copper is dead simple. Silver's harder. And based on what I've read here, Gold and Platinum are..... well, problematic to find. :)

MichaelBerea
12-28-2009, 10:53 AM
First, welcome! I think you and your friends would have a lot of fun in DDO.

Buying $50 of Turbine Points will let you play indefinitely if you are careful in how you spend them, especially if you catch a sale or two. After 50-60 hours playing you might end up spending an extra $20 for character perks or fresh content for an alt but you definitely would not need to do so to level up and raid. Having real-life friends to play with is a big advantage here because you do not have to stick to the easiest quests and you do not have to min/max characters using real-life cash.

I second the Delera’s Tomb recommendation. It is my favorite adventure pack in the 1-10 level range. STK, Tangleroot and Sorrowdusk are fun but I enjoy Delera’s more. Plus the gear and xp from Delera’s are unmatched for that level range.

You might also consider the Sharn Syndicate in the levels 1-5 range, especially if it goes on sale. I found the quests somewhat different from most quests in most rpg’s and so a refreshing change. The favor is very nice, getting you enough Coin Lord favor to have an extra bag slot much sooner than if you just stick to f2p Coin Lord quests. The gear and xp are also good, especially if you only have 1-2 friends available. But it is not everyone’s favorite, possibly because it is fairly short and too easy for a large, balanced group.

Reading the Lost Quest Guide might help you decide which packs would be most fun for you and your friends. It offers a detailed understanding of each quest. It might also help you determine how long it would take you to do them. And for me at least it makes quests go much faster because I’m not constantly lost.
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=122192

Sirgog wrote an excellent review of all of the adventure packs which includes advice at the end on which to buy if you are on a budget.
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199945