PDA

View Full Version : What is Dungeon Alert?

BloodSkye
12-24-2009, 06:39 AM
I've seen duneon alerts of green and orange. What do they actually mean? What triggers them?

Riorik
12-24-2009, 06:57 AM
It's the devil. :D

The more enemies in a quest/raid that have seen you, the higher your dungeon alert status goes. Conversely, reducing that number, lowers it. That includes by killing them or even simply once they forget about you if they can't see you for a few minutes. Any given quest/raid may be tweaked so it's not the same X number of enemies for a given threshold. This is because some quests just plain have more/less creatures to fight in them.

I don't remember, offhand, exactly what the penalties are, but subjectively, the key is to not turn your back to them otherwise you end up with things like "harried" which greatly slows your movement and otherwise buffs the creatures stats.

chubbs99
12-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Dungeon Alert is kinda new to me as well, but I've been able to play enough since the EU launch (which brought me back to the game) to get a feel for it, I'm sure someone will have alot more in depth posting but I'll do my best.

Dungeon Alert is a system brought to the game to slow players down and actually play. It triggers by getting mobs attention (aggro), after {x} ammount of total mobs being aggroed you'll see the green alert (I), this is pretty harmless and I've noticed its quiet common on many quests due to the quest being designed before the DA system was introduced.

If you keep Aggroing mobs without killing them you will progressively get Orange (II) and Red (III) these are common in explorer areas when you are trying to run to the quest entrance since afaik the tangleroot series is the only one where you can teleport to the quest.

I think Orange greatly increases the aggro range of mobs, causing ones you normally wouldn't aggro to become aggroed if you don't deal with your "friends." There may be others I'm forgetting but generally you don't stay on Orange long, because its easy to get to Red from there.

I believe at Red Alert level mobs will start slowing you on hit, this effects both run and attack speed I've noticed. Things can get real nasty real quick if you aren't prepaired for it.

Thats a basic break down of the system anyways.
Hope it helps you out.

BloodSkye
12-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks to both of you. Those were both helpful posts.

Strakeln
12-24-2009, 12:20 PM
The worst idea to ever hit DDO, hands down. :(

MrWizard
12-24-2009, 04:11 PM
The thorn in the side of the backs of all players who have done a dungeon a million times and just want to rush through it.

adversely, it is a great challenge (almost impossible) to play the game as intended while slowed 90% in a harried situation while the mobs suddendly go up in level and ability.

Alishandra
12-26-2009, 06:32 AM
How is this fair if you are playing the dungeon as intended and go from no alert to level 4 in one spawn? I was playing catacombs with some people and every time we opened a door to some guys tomb it would leap to level 3 when all the skeletons busted out of the coffins. In the center is a named ghoul who spawns about twenty or so skeleton bowmen. It went from none to level 4 in half a second, everyone died but me because I ran to a choke point and fought super skel from the door, with a sword doing 1 point of damage a hit. A plain old skel should not have 99% damage resitance to a bladed weapon, nor should that alert come on when the dungeon itself spawns fifty guys for you to play with and then amps them up so high any form of CC is useless and all you see is blue shields and SAVE when you try to AoE them.

A small edit, does this affect stealth missions to? I have no stealthers but a high level thief, monk, ranger, could sneak through a dungeon concieveably. However if this affects stealth, ie you get the alert weather they actually detect you or not, whats the point of stealth?

chubbs99
12-26-2009, 07:20 AM
AFAIK as long as your sneak and move silently are high enough that you don't have red foot prints when next to a mob, he shouldn't agro, and therefore shouldn't count towards DA... But knowing how badly the system works it wouldn't supprise me at all.

When I was of level I did the Greymoon / Co6 chain with a group, I remember from long ago that in one of the Co6 missions the easiest way would be to just sneak down the middle of the corridor, and I remember that my old fighter would sneak down the hall way with such low scores he might as well be banging pots and pans but would still make it through. Doing it this time on my monk at the lead of the group with no red feet got to about the shrine and noticed the DA went instantly Red... Yeah that was fun I think 2 people got out alive :P

I can not say if turbine decided to move the mobs around to stop this tactic, or what exactly to cause this, but lesson learned. DA is evil :|