PDA

View Full Version : User built or random dungeons

Tiggyr
12-22-2009, 06:47 PM
I thought, not very in depth of course as there'd be some major issues, about the possibility of user created quests. Probably just dungeons, branching off from a notice board in the local inns/pubs.
Users could have access to a cut down version of the world builder with a couple of "sets" and tack together a few rooms with some non-voiced triggered flavor text etc and mobs. To help game balance XP for all user generated contect would be set to ZERO but it would be more for the fun and exploration that for anything else. Would also provide a great creative outlet for some players.
World builder access or the ability to post to the notice board could even be in the online store perhaps?
Failing that, I've always been a big fan of the old Bards tale "dungeon under the pub" routine. Hack and slash at its finest for those with only a very few minutes to spare. What chance a randomly generated setup under one of the market pubs for the occasional fun time... even just a winding set of corridors running to one end room... or some such.

Edit: Sorry - missed this current post on random dungeons... apologies: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=220345

RhapsodieInBlue
12-22-2009, 07:24 PM
I would pay them an extra 10 dollars a month for a random dungeon feature that's favorless and is only used to help you grind your levels out and get some extra coin.

Solo to Elite difficulties.

Thailand_Dan
12-22-2009, 07:34 PM
They mentioned this (I think it was Fernando) a few months ago, but IIRC, it was something they hadn't started on yet, and didn't have a plan to start soon. It was more a, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could eventually do this", sort of thing.

So, maybe sometime in the distant future, but no plans soon.

Tumarek
12-22-2009, 07:43 PM
They mentioned this (I think it was Fernando) a few months ago, but IIRC, it was something they hadn't started on yet, and didn't have a plan to start soon. It was more a, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could eventually do this", sort of thing.

So, maybe sometime in the distant future, but no plans soon.

Yeah some dev said he would love to have the player build dungeon, but it just is just a huge tool and balancing problem. I dont care much for random dungeon... played Dungeon Hack long enough.

Tiggyr
12-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I thought the balance would be an issue too - hence the *zero* XP or favor from completion... possibly quests that prrove exceptionally popular or good can be moulded into the game with reduced xp or loot etc...
Its simply allowing users to put up their "big ideas" and share hem with others, and to give us a few extra exciing things to o - who wouldn't like to see what kind of left field thing could come up...

Aiwendel
12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
What if only guilds were able to do this and also add a guildbank.
The dungeon functions as a guild stronghold and if another raid group manages to penetrate it they get to loot something out of the guildbank.
The stronghold can be set up by the guildmaster, rogues can build traps while casters can build summon monster traps. Guildmaster can also hire hireling guards to aid in the defense. Or maybe just make it a PVP guild stronghold.

The guild should also be able to gain something form people raiding their dungeon though.
How about, whenever someone dies in the raid they have a chance to drop a random item from their inventory :eek:
That would make people think twice about what they bring to the raid. And since the guild can constantly change the traps and monsters.
Also, each person can only go on a stronghold raid once per day for each guild stronghold.

Aaxeyu
12-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm all for user build content, but no more random please...

donfilibuster
12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, some people want dungeon building, some want random layouts, others want random encounters and more want guild houses and player houses.
If devs gotta begin small then houses and random encounters would be easier and simplified than building or layouts.

As for middle ground the player quests shouldnt give any xp, treasure or favor.
These may work like housing but in a bigger space. In this private instance you can gather and chat with your party or guild.
You could have tool NPCs of at least vendor and bank.

A layout with monsters and traps could be used to train your guildies before questing.
Other guild stuff to add is the common chest or duty-free mailbox, tax bin and more importantly the message board.
Perhaps the mailbox can be reused as board and the auction house window reused for guild shop.

Another thing is that since player layouts are instances these can be reused for everyone.
Only the layout of course, objects placement still done individually.