PDA

View Full Version : Skills help

werebeagle
12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
i played a little bit of PnP DnD, and have a lvl 3 rouge in DDO. well, there are some skills that i'm not sure if i want or not, and others that i'm not sure what they do. my rouge is using the generic dark blade path, although i want to be able to scout well.

Jump: yes, i know what this does, but is there much point in ranking it?

Listen: ok, the DM tells you things, like if enemys are behind a door, but does this come in handy often? and doesn't spot already detect stealth enemies?

Tumble: does this only allow you to roll away while blocking? or does it do something else?

Use Magical Device: i'm not going to use scrolls or wands, so what other items qualify for this?

keep in mind, that my rouge is supposed to be a scouting character

Visty
12-22-2009, 03:55 PM
jump lets you jump higher but caps at 20. the spell gives +30 and that youll get later often, so not much opint putting points into it

listen also lets you see hidden mobs, though spot is more useful

tumble reduces falling dmg too and looks cool with higher ranks

umd lets you equip rr items. and now you say you wont use scrolls, but leter youll like to raise partymembers, heal 110hp per scroll and other nice things

umd is the most powerful skill in this game and a musthave as rogue

Ingo
12-22-2009, 04:07 PM
What Visty said, but to clarify...

RR = Race Restricted. These items can only be equipped by a specific race, but as a bonus they have a minimum level for use 2 lower than standard. So a weapon that normally would require you to be level 10 to equip would only require level 8 if RR and you were the correct race or had high enough UMD. Won't be of real use for RR until you get to a higher level, but is very nice when you can use an RR item with level 18 power at level 16.

You may not think you want to use scrolls until you start finding scrolls of invisibility or haste and eventually raise dead or heal. It's very useful to be able to raise the main healer from the dead after a near party wipe. :)

werebeagle
12-22-2009, 04:53 PM
thanks, but some questions about practical uses for the skills:

for listen and jump, exactly how often do these come in play in game? in irestone inlet and arachnophobia, the DM warns you about enemys if you have listen, and Jump helps in Sacrifices, but are these just once in a while or common occurrences?
a simple yes or no to these two will work.

Visty
12-22-2009, 05:01 PM
for listen: if you have spot, dont take listen. if you dont have spot, take spot
spot is way betterthen listen and does the same (if now the gm warns you or you see the mob on your own, doesnt matter. and spot helps for traps too)

for jump: as i said already, later on youll get +30 via spell anyway. then another 4 from gh and youll have min22str for the other ++ too. and jump caps at40. no real need to put ranks into it

werebeagle
12-22-2009, 05:02 PM
thanks.
again.