PDA

View Full Version : Uber Suck - PUG ego

Ash
12-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Uber Suck - PUG ego

This is the story of a PUG I joined and how it went from ego to train wreck.

Where to begin, probably from the beginning is best. It was a saturday evening and I had just gotten home from visiting my mother in law, who also has Parkinson's, more on that later. After my wife and daughter went down to bed after a long day i decided to log on and have some fun. The fun to be had would not be in the form i expected however.

So i log in and join group X and do a mission, went well and fine. Then i check the groups and find another low level group is doing WW and is requesting a tank for part 3 & 4. I think "why not" and switch to my low toon and join the group.

The first thing they ask is if i have a mic, due to me being on my laptop in the family room and my sleeping family in the next room i just typed in "sorry, sleeping wife/kid". They made a joke about 'too bad for them' or something to that effect. I let it roll as i saw the humor, but wasn't going to indulge their desires.

So i enter into the outer portion of WW and immediately see on the map that the caster, lets call him 'fish', is on the fist half instead of on the 2nd half path. The chatter starts up about how he went the wrong way and so since i was just now arriving at private Jake i go north to intercept him and defend the wizard. I jump through the straggling goblins that are still alive and arrive to stand over the body of a now pink-lined wizard. I do not have any healing ability being a level 3 barbarian / 1 rogue. Swinging and Intimidating i manage to pull the goblins off of him and withing a few swings and jumps have now cleared the goblins. the rest of the gang has now started to make its way towards us. they arrive and i can hear the words over the mic "and the cleric saves the day with a critical heal". Lets now call the cleric 'uber suck' from this point forward. The wizard was healed to max in a single casting, nice work but not worth the parade effects in my opinion. i think to myself 'ego party' but keep my typing/mouth shut.

We start heading back to the other side and reach the bridge with the underwater cavern off to the west side, our hero captain ego, the party leader decides he wants to check it out and look for the rare. Fine, we all jump in and swim over. It is empty, so I figured as long as i was there i was going to start smashing some barrels and looking for loot. The first barrel opened drops a potion of unknown type and i keep smashing the rest in the grouping. As soon as i finishing swinging i scan the ground and see it is a potion of "protection evil". Not a high prize but as a barbarain who can not cast that spell it might come in handy later on. My mouse is about ready to click on it for pickup when the cleric, captain ego, clicks it for pickup. No big lose i think until he says the following, "i don't know why i picked that crappy potion up, im too leet for that ****". My eyes rolled at that comment, yes as a caster you SHOULDNT be wasting your time picking up drops your other party members could have used. Needless to say he then DID NOT turn around and offer it to another member.

Eventually we make our way back to start p 3 & 4 and start the mission. the rogue, a member of the guild shared by the cleric, starts to inch forward and crawl through the slime at the entrance. a slime drops down and takes him out in one hit, yes a crit by a slime. seeing this party is now going now where fast i jump ahead once more and start swinging the muck. hit, hit, kill, i'm hit, hit hit, kill, i'm hit, blah blah blah. So out of the 5 slimes at the entrance i manage to kill 3 of them all by myself, the rest of the party kills off the other two, no biggie I think to myself. So we make our way to the door overlooking the grand chamber. They open the door without deciding any such plan and have started filtering in ahead of me. "Fine" i think and rush in to jump off the ledge and feather fall down, making a B-line to the caster. If i failed to mention it is on elite i will do so now because the bolts from the shamans can be quite nasty. So i reach the bottom and start single swinging and hitting everything in site to get as much agro as i can until i find/see a bolt shooting out from the shaman. Bingo, found my mark. Now with about 10-12 goblins in tow behind me i make my way to the shaman and make my attacks. The first is a miss followed by a soft hit and a critical hit. he is downed but not before launching another bolt at another party member which he was focused on. Now with the horde still following me i start to make giant circles in the pit, swinging and jumping, taking them out at the edges and not getting stuck int he middle. My plan is working and soon enough the rest of the party has made their way down and is assisting in the cleanup. The party has taken some seiours hits and there is talk about finding the shrine for the dead rogue.

well thats my clue and so i go back up and enter the eastern passage into the other large circular room to start my agro trick once more then retreat back into the tube leading back to the prior room so i will only have to fight 2-3 at a time. through the speakers i hear, "wrong way" and "****" and other more colorful language about getting jumped "unexpectedly" from above. i now have a horde in the tube and am unable to head back due to the rush effect it would cause on them and could cause the whole party to wipe. so i stay and start jumping/whacking/etc... Then i hear "boo-yah" and Ubersuck saying how his leet spell of sonic boom kills them all and saves the day. I think "whatever" and have now managed to jump back into the next main room and start collecting more throwers and stray goblins to get them back into the side tube again. By now the party is now in the tube and general Ubersucks is spouting off the very same plan. I hide behind a pillar and type in i have been clearing the room that very same way already. They cleared the few in the tube and now make their way up the long round wall ramp to the top to flip the switch so they can reach the shrine.

The room gets eventually cleared and we make our way south to the hallway with the blue switches. This area gets cleared by pretty much just charging forward and everyone swinging something. No strategy but it worked so no big deal. They then start to clear the way to the shrine only to be surprised about the acid trap. I neglected to cross over as at the time my health was 90+hp out of 108. This means it was not worth the effort of possibly getting poisoned to shrine up the 10+ points. I continued to smash those remaining barrels in the blue hall area and then made my way back up to the larger room just north of it, you know the room that was just cleared and didn't have a chance of re-spawning yet on elite mode. I immediately start hearing chatter about where am i and how i'm destroying the group blah blah. I type back that i have done WW over 50 times and have soloed it several times with various other toons on elite. Not this one mind you, this barb doesn't have the saves for it, my paladin at 4th, thats another story ;). The response i get back it from another voice is "well i've done it a million times and you are endangering the group". I roll my eyes and tell them the boxes im smashing don't attack back. I get a "oh, your just smashing, okay then".

The party meets back up and i have now cleared out all deadly boxes in box areas, we now head over to the left/west side with the slime switches. I fight the slimes and notice that the clerics are now not as attentive at healing me, yes they started to get eliteish. no worry, this time the two slimes don't hit me as badly and my now 70ish hp is still good. We sit around on the upside waiting for somebody to decide that we are going to indeed go for the underwater chest. I type in that the slimes will start to respawn soon as it has about a 2 minute timer. I jump in the water and test my breath timer and gage it to be long enough to reach the other side without stripping. the other dolts jump in to the water and now guess that they will also now need water breathing and have to get out to activate there bubble breath abilities. As they climb the ladders they get attacked by, you guessed it, slimes. I am now over by the entrance to the tunnel and at this point have decided that i am not going to get out of the water for the slimes because i warned them and i am beginning to not trust them due to my health totals. i wait until one of the bubble breath people has now cleared the whole distance and secured all the gates open from the other side. Before the rest of us swim over some people complain about not having a bubble breath device, i type in for them to take off their armor before swimming. They are apparently not reading/thinking and ignore the comment. So the group swims over and i hear complaints about taking damage, i ignore it as this group is now full of tards. We get to the other side and i manage to dance/jump/slice the group of goblins and keep the agro off the tards. I take some more damage and am now down to 50% health. The clerics are not healing, this could also be due to the fact that they are out of mana after playing repairs to the bubble tards so i shrug it off.

After collecting our loot i rush off ahead and bolt through the slimes and jump off the balcony and feather fall down to the hole that has now been opened. The rest of the gang now starts yelling at me for ditching them and being "too leet" to be a team player. I apologized through typing that i 'assumed' that we were skipping the north passage. Even after "el'leet-o" managed to kill a bunch of goblins with his "awesome sonic blast" because we needed to save our stats to be able to reach the next shrine. Apparently i wasn't thinking and this was my fault. I will take the blame for trying to plan out some strategy, i'm sorry.

So we get below and fight out way through the goblins/oozes/spiders to reach the other shrine. The battle basically is nasty and another member dies, or two, i dont remember really. I opened the shrine and we all filter in, i use the shrine and with my heal ability pumped up with items i get myself restored to the 70 points range out of 108, good enough. We go north and reach the final door to that large room and i do the unthinkable... i try to type out a plan. I say that i am going to go inside and agro as much as i can near the door only to them retreat back to the very same door and cork block it while the casters spam over my head. I know I know my mistake now, "How dare i tell/order/command/dictate them what to do". Amazingly only two of them crossed over and followed me in on the initial agro jump in. Upon retreating back to the door where thankfully the caster remained he let lose a volly of varous burn spells that did good damage to the kobolds. One of the two heroes even managed to understand what was going on and quickly joined me at the door and starting bashing at the horde from his inside side of it. The other hero was on his own as he was dodging and going down in health quickly. When enough had been pruned from the door i raced in yet again and did the Intim agro and got the small group off of him. The rest of the kobolds were easily dispatched. Did i get any healing during this fight? No, once it was over we zoned and got a full refresh anyway. I was at 30ish points which is 29 more than is needed to get us to the next level. The caster mentioned he needed another area spell and in my loot i happened to find a scroll, acid cone. I promptly opened a trade and gave it to him, he thanked me and we were on our way.

We entered part 4, now im back at 108 hp which is nice. We make our way west towards the room with the spinning traps and upon the rogue beating me there he opens the doors and lets lose the dogs of war. I was too busy cleaning up the random kobolds to notice. Suffice to say another party member bites it due to the dogs. I clean up the dogs and took a few hits, im now down to about 60hps. I type in trap but it is too little too late, another party member gets his head taken from his shoulders. I/we reluctantly press on as they are more interested in the next room, i advise against it as a shrine is just a short jaunt away south of our location. They vote after the next room and so i agree. Upon getting to the Ogre, a named Ogre, the guy opens up with two crits on me in a row in close succession. First a 58, i am not healed, i hit him back but due to clicking and swinging i am unable to type back. He then hits me again for a 78. I fall to the floor. The rest of them swarm on him and finish him off. As soon as i fell however the cleric, "Uber suck" burts across the mic, "**** yeah! thats what you get for talking **** to me and giving us orders.. blah blah ego blah small ***** blah blah!"

They then exited the mission to ensure i didn't get credit for it and reformed a new party, kicking me in the process. Now as i stated i thought i was doing them a favor from the beginning, i didn't need it and was starting to get suspicious but i was amazed at the level of immaturity i was seeing.

Now to tie this all back in to the beginning. Why did i mention the parkensons issue? Well i had recently formated an older laptop that had been bloated down and did a factory refresh with it. I installed openoffice and other drivers into it but had yet to install an antivirus on it. As i was visiting my inlaw she asked if she could use it. She is on medication and has some personality conflicts because of it. I asked that she do nothing outside of looking at her email. She said yes and ignored my request, in her email are various "surveys" and other spy-ware sites that she frequents trying to get rich by clicking this and that and getting paid all sorts of money. She opened said emails and went straight to these sites. I was away giving my daughter a bath to return and find her clicking away at these stupid things, spending 15-20 minutes to get the chance at getting a 1-2$ reward through the mail. I informed that she was doing the very thing i asked her not to do but she, through her drugged out mind, could not see the forest for the trees. She quickly justified it that since she didn't qualify for that last one that it was safe. I wanted to slam my head against the wall in frustration. I quickly asked her, if you enter a house/website and see $5 sitting on a desk but don't take it have you still entered the nasty house/site and been exposed to their cooties? She said "no". This is what I'm getting at, some people just see the world they want to see it and are incapable of seeing it from any other point of view.

Why this page... reason are...
1) frustration/venting
2) advice to others
3) maybe, perhaps, some small chance, this Uber Dork will read this and maybe reflect (a little?)
4) i am actually trying to write my own fantasy book and this guy gave me a great character mold to work with, villain of course ;)
5) entertainment/humor :)

There is "more" to the story but i am done writing for now.

Battleworm
12-21-2009, 01:20 PM
My god I feel for you.'Tis the nature of pugs these days.Quiet ones that rock,Never-shut-up pileons that say they're awesom *ding* superuber has died again.Well,best of luck for the future.

P.S. Are you a journalist / writer?

Ash
12-21-2009, 01:32 PM
My god I feel for you.'Tis the nature of pugs these days.Quiet ones that rock,Never-shut-up pileons that say they're awesom *ding* superuber has died again.Well,best of luck for the future.

P.S. Are you a journalist / writer?

Not professionally, hobbyist

I bought a domain for my book and am still in alpha phase of my "Grand Project"

Battleworm
12-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I had a hunch,Very well formed and put out text.best of luck for every other pug,In time,you'll know to identify signs of impending pug disaster.Best of luck in the meantime.

Cedwin
12-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I've had pretty much the same thing happen to me when trying to help new players out in STK, so I know how it feels. There was a cleric leading the group I was in. When I started running the quest the way I always have, and the rest of the party followed my lead, the cleric somehow felt that I betrayed him or something, and stopped healing me. Needless to say, he was all talk, and all ego.

Gunga
12-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Epic.

Sorry about your inlaw.

Xeriphim
12-21-2009, 01:44 PM
+1 for the OP , well done .

cdemeritt
12-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Now as i stated i thought i was doing them a favor from the beginning, i didn't need it .

Well there's your problem....

had more than one pug ask for a guide, and get angry when you say "put your CC here, and pull them into it"-to get a "don't tell me what to do"- Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding! Party wipe.... "You are a sucky Cleric" "Well that's what happens when you charge in like that..."

ProdigalGuru
12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Dude.... carry freaking pots.

Self-sufficiency for the win.

Your literary prowess nearly persuaded me that you aren't a noob.

Nearly.

Ash
12-21-2009, 02:12 PM

Nearly.

Thanks, i carry pots. but when i swing for "XXL" or can heal for "xs" during a fight i tend to do the former ;)

This toon did not have the fundages for big pots, when i died i had 50+ basic health pots

P.S. Nice start date compared to mine ;) Newb

taurean430
12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Sadly, I've had healers refuse to heal me. So I can relate to what you are saying...

I have an alt palladin that tanks to help out my ex gf's kidlets when they play the game. They are 11 year old twins and just having fun. I expect them to not understand some of the more complex functions. I expect them to rush headfist into the chopping block on a regular basis as well. Hence the choice as the pally can tank and do some limited healing...

What worries me is when I log into my level 12 main and see the same behaviors in players that should know better.

Also, since I am not well versed with zerging personally, I get a little disturbed by some players choosing to do that and being many rooms ahead - having drawn out every enemy and literally screaming into the mic for a heal/haste/firewall. I just shake my head, burn enemies, and eventually get their stone.

But what really gets stuck in my craw with some of the groups I've run lately is the whole I'm better than you attitude. That coupled with the if you don't worship my uberness, I will not help you. I've been noticing this a lot more from clerics strangely enough. I carry my own pots and wands, so not being healed is no biggie and I don't expect it anyway. But I hate non completions, so it's really rare that I'll drop a group. Yet after some (thankfully) of my experiences, and reading posts here; I should consider doing that much more often.

Shamurai
12-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Great story, sorry for you woes.. I've been there a few times too. Thank God it's not always that way!

+1 Rep

Visty
12-21-2009, 02:58 PM
sorry to dissapoint you but

they are kobolds, not goblins

Ash
12-21-2009, 03:00 PM
sorry to dissapoint you but

they are kobolds, not goblins

actually i changed the name back and forth depending on when and where i was writing it through google docs. It took me a few days to flush it out and in between moments that fact changed. Look through and you will see both names used :P

My bad - still don't care enough to correct it though ;)

Jay203
12-21-2009, 03:06 PM
one of the reasons why i just end up solo'ing the quest and bash on the crappy players afterward :p
they get nothing to complain about since most likely i had just held their hands through the entire quest :D:D:D

Kalari
12-21-2009, 03:19 PM
:( wow sorry about the run sometimes ya have to deal with the arrogance of others its the nature of pugs and most of the time its not even new players just noobish long termers who think cause they cant get a character past 8 and know ww well that they are the leetzors. Its ashame you went threw that though but I know from my own pugging experience if they are already bragging on mic before you get to the quest and struggling just to get there its going to be a bumpy ride and prep for it. Meaning never going into a quest without some way to get myself up because you just cant depend on team work at that level a lot of the times.

ProdigalGuru
12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks, i carry pots. but when i swing for "XXL" or can heal for "xs" during a fight i tend to do the former ;)

This toon did not have the fundages for big pots, when i died i had 50+ basic health pots

Dying with 50 pots in your inventory (having never attempted to drink even ONE) makes you a noob, no matter your join date. Your XXL swing is not much use if you are DEAD. But my bad for asking you to simply "carry" pots, when what I meant was "learn to heal yourself".

BTW, the reason you did not get healed is likely to be the time you spent sitting in the water watching the rest of YOUR TEAM getting torn up by ooze. This was a loser move, warning or not. Also, did you not SEE that the group was doing things differently? Why did you not adjust? You wanted them to do things YOUR way. You even started telling them HOW. This is rude and arrogant to the extreme. You joined the group, not started it, you play by the leader's rules.

Also, my join date may have very little bearing on when I started playing, as it only reflects when I decided I wanted to post. Nice try though. I suppose it would have been pretty hard to field an insult, I didn't leave you much to work with.

Ash
12-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Dying with 50 pots in your inventory (having never attempted to drink even ONE) makes you a noob, no matter your join date. Your XXL swing is not much use if you are DEAD. But my bad for asking you to simply "carry" pots, when what I meant was "learn to heal yourself".

BTW, the reason you did not healed is likely to be the time you spent sitting in the water watching the rest of YOUR TEAM getting torn up by ooze. This was a loser move, warning or not. Also, did you not SEE that the group was doing things differently? Why did you not adjust? You wanted them to do things YOUR way. You even started telling them HOW. This is rude and arrogant to the extreme. You joined the group, not started it, you play by the leader's rules.

BTW, join date may have little bearing on when I started playing, as it only reflects when I decided I wanted to post. Nice try though. I suppose it would have been pretty hard to field an insult, I didn't leave you much to work with.

Maybe you are not seeing the forest because of the trees yourself

I have 6 health left, what is going to get better results?

1) drinking a potion to get me 4-10 health when i was just hit for 58, soon to be followed up by a 78 point hit.

Or...

2) keep swinging with my big ax doing large amounts of damage in hopes of felling it before it can hit me again.

Keep in mind i stated that i got double critted for 58 & 70+ hits in succession. Drinking a 4-10 potion is not going to save you from the next FAT SWING. Sometimes offense is DEFENSE :)

----

Now to your other point..

"BTW, the reason you did not healed is likely to be the time you spent sitting in the water watching the rest of YOUR TEAM getting torn up by ooze. This was a loser move, warning or not. Also, did you not SEE that the group was doing things differently? Why did you not adjust? You wanted them to do things YOUR way. You even started telling them HOW. This is rude and arrogant to the extreme. You joined the group, not started it, you play by the leader's rules."

I warned them about it, but alas i can not make them do anything. At that point half were in the water and half were not. Had i gotten out and started fighting the rest might have followed instead of just having the few jump in. Again, forest/trees. I never told them to do anything, i warned :) As to the "EXTREME" well then i agree to disagree. The game is about working together and not following blindly to the extreme. yes i made mistakes and i fully admit them, hence i would not have typed them above.

----

2nd issue:
BTW, join date may have little bearing on when I started playing, as it only reflects when I decided I wanted to post. Nice try though. I suppose it would have been pretty hard to field an insult, I didn't leave you much to work with.

Why would i have wanted to insult you? I have no reason to attack you. Just because you made a jab at me and i cleverly bounced it back does not mean it is an attack but rather a deflection of your own inertia. Nothing more. Don't read what isn't there :)

Now would you like to continue this or are you satisfied ?:)

taurean430
12-21-2009, 04:01 PM

BTW, the reason you did not get healed is likely to be the time you spent sitting in the water watching the rest of YOUR TEAM getting torn up by ooze. This was a loser move, warning or not. Also, did you not SEE that the group was doing things differently? Why did you not adjust? You wanted them to do things YOUR way. You even started telling them HOW. This is rude and arrogant to the extreme. You joined the group, not started it, you play by the leader's rules.

Also, my join date may have very little bearing on when I started playing, as it only reflects when I decided I wanted to post. Nice try though. I suppose it would have been pretty hard to field an insult, I didn't leave you much to work with.

I don't understand why you are being abrasive. What I mean is that every player 'should' know to carry pots and or wands. Even the character I described in my previous post has them. But there have been times in my newb experience that downing pots or slinging wands just wasn't practical while taking on a mob to bail out another party member. I could very well be wrong about this, but without the lay on hands hotkey (instant) it's pretty darn hard to run back a few rooms with obstacles along the way, and draw aggro away from someone in the party being beat down. At least, that's been my experience so far for what it's worth. Additionally, I've had the misfortune of the ogres in Shan to Kor next to the first shrine you run into scoring critical hits. With 109 hp on that palladin, and the rather loud yelling in my ears from the person who ran down there alone and drew them both out, it's a little difficult to hightail it there and recieve two crits - in effect making a dead palladin (in front of a rest shrine with a closed door even).

whysper
12-21-2009, 04:01 PM
I am not sure if others had problems going through all that text (you should edit for brevity), but by your explanation, sounds like you did not communicate with the group at all and worked with your own "tactic" at your own pace without regard for the rest of the group...so not very high points from me on this one.

I can very well see the group getting annoyed with you.

ProdigalGuru
12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I would like to continue, because you are thick-skulled, and neither I, nor the group you were with have been able to make you understand why you are wrong yet.

You mentioned SEVERAL times that you had low health and the cleric would not heal you, meaning you NEVER ONCE tried to heal yourself, in OR out of combat. I am trying real hard to figure out why, and drawing a blank. Conclusion: know-it-all noob.

Just got hit for most your health, and you know the healer is shunning you? Time to retreat. Run away, let someone else take aggro, heal yourself. If your role was tank, but the cleric stopped healing you, you are unable to tank, so stop trying. Control your aggro as if you were solo, let the TEAM share the burden. Sitting there swinging is stupid, sorry.

You misused "hence", you meant "or else". Is it possible your writng skill and playing skill are equivalent? (Meaning you think you know a lot more than you actually do)

Working together does not mean sitting and watching your team get chewed up without trying to help. Teamwork is the skill YOU need to learn, because your current definition is just wrong. It certainly does NOT mean "Do it my way, or I am not helping". Better communication would be a good start.

Also, you did not "deflect" anything, it simply bounced off your Cro-Magnon cranium. Being shunned by the Cleric is usually a sure sign you are doing it wrong. Most folks get the hint, and change their play accordingly, you seem to have just assumed that THEY were wrong.

My advice: get used to soloing, or learn to work in harmony with others.

I get the impression now that the other members of your party might have a VERY different story to tell.

ProdigalGuru
12-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't understand why you are being abrasive. What I mean is that every player 'should' know to carry pots and or wands. Even the character I described in my previous post has them. But there have been times in my newb experience that downing pots or slinging wands just wasn't practical while taking on a mob to bail out another party member. I could very well be wrong about this, but without the lay on hands hotkey (instant) it's pretty darn hard to run back a few rooms with obstacles along the way, and draw aggro away from someone in the party being beat down. At least, that's been my experience so far for what it's worth. Additionally, I've had the misfortune of the ogres in Shan to Kor next to the first shrine you run into scoring critical hits. With 109 hp on that palladin, and the rather loud yelling in my ears from the person who ran down there alone and drew them both out, it's a little difficult to hightail it there and recieve two crits - in effect making a dead palladin (in front of a rest shrine with a closed door even).

What in tarnation gave you the idea my post was directed at you? Because it wasn't.

In fact all I read of your post essentially was that you play with your twins sometimes. Good for you!

Did I miss something?

Thrudh
12-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised that so many people are supportive of the OP... The party sounded like a bunch of noobs, sure, but at least they were trying to work together...

If anyone was elitest, it was the OP... I'd be real excited about an unknown barbarian who immediately jumped down into the big room to engage everything at once...

And then you're off the to the room that leads to the blue crystals all by yourself too... and then you're floating in the water watching them fight in the acid room, and then you're jumping down the hole all by yourself...

AND you haven't used a single pot, and you're mad you're not getting healed...

I would have reformed and dumped you BEFORE part 4 probably.

And what the hell does that whole Parkinson story have to do with anything?

I do not have any healing ability being a level 3 barbarian / 1 rogue.

FYI, get an Aid clickable from Korthos...

Anthios888
12-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Ash
12-21-2009, 06:30 PM
I would like to continue, because you are thick-skulled, and neither I, nor the group you were with have been able to make you understand why you are wrong yet.

Using that thick skull of mine are you now admitting you are one of said party?

Otherwise i am not going to debate my thick skull with someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

You mentioned SEVERAL times that you had low health and the cleric would not heal you, meaning you NEVER ONCE tried to heal yourself, in OR out of combat. I am trying real hard to figure out why, and drawing a blank. Conclusion: know-it-all noob.

Actually i mentioned it was all okay and within range at several points within the story. Yes i did not mention that i had indeed use some pots along the way to put my overall health into the acceptable range. I also did not mention the use of acid resistance or lighting resistance potions i also used. I also did not mention that i was farting the whole time i was playing. I did not matter the exact details because as i said that in most spots (minus the double crit end) IT WAS WITHIN ACCEPTABLE RANGE.
:)
Oh and in case this helps you any, i was wearing blue sweats that time of playing my toon if that helps you understand this any better.
again if you are an original party member then thats great, otherwise i will be done trying to get through you thick skull.

Just got hit for most your health, and you know the healer is shunning you? Time to retreat. Run away, let someone else take aggro, heal yourself. If your role was tank, but the cleric stopped healing you, you are unable to tank, so stop trying. Control your aggro as if you were solo, let the TEAM share the burden. Sitting there swinging is stupid, sorry.

Yes team players pack up and retreat. Yes team players pick up potions they dont need. Yes team players don't go to the rescue other other members on the far side of the map.
Now if you read my story (assuming you are not original party member) you will see that on several occasions i tried to help but got ignored/cutoff/insulted. Yeah a real team player does not work with the team they are all about being the "I" in Icehole.

You misused "hence", you meant "or else". Is it possible your writng skill and playing skill are equivalent? (Meaning you think you know a lot more than you actually do)

Do you read as badly as you think, i said i was writing this over a few days and did not proof read it much. Just now i used a lowercase "i" instead of an "I". Oohh burn the bad man!!

Working together does not mean sitting and watching your team get chewed up without trying to help. Teamwork is the skill YOU need to learn, because your current definition is just wrong. It certainly does NOT mean "Do it my way, or I am not helping". Better communication would be a good start.

Let me get this straight.. "Working together does not mean sitting and watching your team get chewed up without trying to help". Everytime i tried to help out i got called a rambo and leet. So by trying to help out i should have held back and not charged forward to defend... oh you mean what the original party member did. sat back and let me take the hits, thats what you mean, that is an excellent version of a team player. Yes you have excellent communication. Again you were not there so "drop it" :)

Also, you did not "deflect" anything, it simply bounced off your Cro-Magnon cranium. Being shunned by the Cleric is usually a sure sign you are doing it wrong. Most folks get the hint, and change their play accordingly, you seem to have just assumed that THEY were wrong.

Oh there it is, my way of the highway. Yes you are your perfect example of what you are trying to tell me. Being shunned by the cleric is an excellent example of helping the party as a whole when that toon in question is taking all the heat from the squishy toons.

My advice: get used to soloing, or learn to work in harmony with others.

I get the impression now that the other members of your party might have a VERY different story to tell.
Yes that might be true if they had the guts to come out of hiding and introduce themselves ;)

I have worked with a number of people in groups and at times i have been the hero, at others i was needing saving or played no big part. I adjusted to what was needed and according the strengths of the party. Its called doing what is needed or right at the time, you know flexible :)

Like i said there was more to my story but in the interest of keeping it short i did. Sorry about leaving out the blue sweats part, my bad.

Ash
12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

:p

Ash
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised that so many people are supportive of the OP... The party sounded like a bunch of noobs, sure, but at least they were trying to work together...

If anyone was elitest, it was the OP... I'd be real excited about an unknown barbarian who immediately jumped down into the big room to engage everything at once...

And then you're off the to the room that leads to the blue crystals all by yourself too... and then you're floating in the water watching them fight in the acid room, and then you're jumping down the hole all by yourself...

AND you haven't used a single pot, and you're mad you're not getting healed...

I would have reformed and dumped you BEFORE part 4 probably.

And what the hell does that whole Parkinson story have to do with anything?

FYI, get an Aid clickable from Korthos...

Actually i did use some pots at some points but as ive stated above i tried to keep things kinda short in the story :)
Its just that the small bonus of potions do not work well against the large hits being taken by a named opponent :)

Fenrisulven6
12-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey OP, right or wrong, that was a fun read.

We should start a Volo's Tales forums, where everyone can share their horror stories :D

I have now cleared out all deadly boxes

made me laugh

taurean430
12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
What in tarnation gave you the idea my post was directed at you? Because it wasn't.

In fact all I read of your post essentially was that you play with your twins sometimes. Good for you!

Did I miss something?

Directed at me personally, no. Abrasive in a way that appears unnecessary, yes. And if all you've read out of anything I've shared is what you've stated here... as opposed to what I've actually typed (shakes head), that's certainly not good.

Nonetheless I asked the question due to the tone of your words. It seemed strange to me that you'd come into the thread spitting venom with no discernible explanation why. It couldn't be the wand/pots issue, actually the large portion of my post that you missed offered a likely reason why. So as I check in now and then I've been waiting to find out what the issue actually is. It also doesn't hurt to ask, so I did.

Ash
12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey OP, right or wrong, that was a fun read.

We should start a Volo's Tales forums, where everyone can share their horror stories :D

made me laugh

Thank you, i completed one of my objectives :)

Ash
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Nonetheless I asked the question due to the tone of your words. It seemed strange to me that you'd come into the thread spitting venom with no discernible explanation why.

Yes they are rather venomous, as if something isn't quite said...

Aside from that sorry you had to be "dragged in", though it sounds like on your part not much dragging(pain) is occurring to you.

DasLurch
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Now THAT gets a +1 rep :)

Ash
12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
and you know the healer is shunning you? Time to retreat. Run away, let someone else take aggro, heal yourself. If your role was tank, but the cleric stopped healing you, you are unable to tank, so stop trying. Control your aggro as if you were solo, let the TEAM share the burden. Sitting there swinging is stupid, sorry.

"Barbarians are the beasts of the battlefield. Often using huge two-handed weapons or two weapons at once, they can deal immense amounts of melee damage."

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Class:Barbarian

On that page it says nothing about pulling back and letting the cleric with stats of...
Str - 8
Dex - 8
Con - 10
Int - 10
Wis - 18
Cha - 12
is going to do much damage :p
Sorry but its not in the cards ;)

lord_of_rage
12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
OP sounds like you got into a bad run. That sucks but as a veteran player I'm very suprised you didnt have your lowbie well equiped. My lowbies carry at least 2-300 csw pots at all times if they cant use wands. If they can its 100 csw's/ rsw's and a few cure mod wands till lvl5. They also carry stocks of lesser resto, remove curse/poison/ disease pots and others like hero,rage, bark.... But thats me I do twink my toons. My lowbie thf barbs run maelstroms till carnifex. When you took that first hit and didnt see a heal, Id have poped sprint boost and slammed a few pots. Almost all my toons are melees. You have to know when to jump out of a fight and pot up. With new players in our midst its important for us vets to be able to help carry a pug if we have to. Your barb if well equiped could have. Its was a bad run but you could have done things to have prevented it. If it was me Id have opened the store bought a res cake and some pots and finished the quest.

oberon131313
12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
So out of the 5 slimes at the entrance i manage to kill 3 of them all by myself.

I type back that i have done WW over 50 times and have soloed it several times with various other toons on elite.

I am now over by the entrance to the tunnel and at this point have decided that i am not going to get out of the water for the slimes because i warned them

Apparently i wasn't thinking and this was my fault. I will take the blame for trying to plan out some strategy, i'm sorry.

I see lots of Ego here, and not all of it was the group.

GreenGurgler
12-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Nearly.

Says the guy with the join date of Sept 2009 ;)

Yeah, sure.

So, since you claim that Sept 2009 is only the date you started posting in forums, what IS your real start date? In DDO, not WoW?

Ash
12-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I see lots of Ego here, and not all of it was the group.

Thanks but you are missing something I've said a few times

I am partially responsible and have not deneyed it, keyword PARTIALLY

if you read all the posts you will see that I have not shrunken away at all and have admited to my mistakes

yes you said not all

oberon131313
12-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks but you are missing something I've said a few times

I am partially responsible and have not deneyed it, keyword PARTIALLY

if you read all the posts you will see that I have not shrunken away at all and have admited to my mistakes

yes you said not all

actually, you took responsibility for some of your actions, but not your ego. That's what I was pointing out. It was a fun read anyways. :rolleyes:

rimble
12-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Egos collide, seems pretty standard for such an encounter.

valharan01
12-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Level 4 = solo elite ww noobcakes. Better luck next time rolling up a toon that isn't as weak as your grandma's right hook. Then maybe you won't need noobits in your group bringing you down, you dig?

J/K I love pugs they make me laugh

Nezichiend
12-21-2009, 10:27 PM
All the best loot in DDO comes from breaking crates.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
12-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Why did you not adjust? You wanted them to do things YOUR way. You even started telling them HOW. This is rude and arrogant to the extreme. You joined the group, not started it, you play by the leader's rules.

Not when the leader is doing things wrong you don't. Not being willing to take advice from the experienced player is the problem. That is the only arrogance being demonstrated.

Ash
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Not when the leader is doing things wrong you don't. Not being willing to take advice from the experienced player is the problem. That is the only arrogance being demonstrated.

(sarcasm)
Hey noob, stop using logic here! Thats not the way I play my groups!

By the way i looked up the guild and i believe i found the issue was that everyone in said parties is expected to perform to their rules. The original party was 4 members from their guild. Here is a hint to the original party leader... When listing for members for a PUG don't expect them to have read your stupid guild charter or to just comply magically. There was no expectation/explaination given when I joined it.

There sign-up sheet has you agreeing to comply by saying "...I am not a person who likes to rush through a game and would much rather like to explore and enjoy tactical gameplay and teamwork..."

Well thats great and all but don't expect some random person to know about your "theories"

Thrudh
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
There sign-up sheet has you agreeing to comply by saying "...I am not a person who likes to rush through a game and would much rather like to explore and enjoy tactical gameplay and teamwork..."

Well thats great and all but don't expect some random person to know about your "theories"

I immediately start hearing chatter about where am i and how i'm destroying the group blah blah.

Sounds to me like it was pretty clear how they were playing, even without you visiting their web-site.

You chose to ignore everything they said... YOU were the one acting like an uber elite.... You should have just soloed the quest, instead of joining a GROUP, and expecting THEM to conform 100% to YOUR play-style.

Ash
12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Sounds to me like it was pretty clear how they were playing, even without you visiting their web-site.

You chose to ignore everything they said... YOU were the one acting like an uber elite.... You should have just soloed the quest, instead of joining a GROUP, and expecting THEM to conform 100% to YOUR play-style.

Gee thanks for the reply, now would you like to read the rest of the posts before commenting again?

Recap:
They posted they were looking for TANK in group
I joined group.
They did not mention positions or strategy to me
When they started dying using (un)said strategy i attempted to fix things.
Problems ensues (Hint Hint *** by both parties)

Pretty simple :)

Varr
12-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Only problem I see in this whole thread is the end wipe.

Party sounds rediculas.....two dead and wand to press on to the always there ogre with 4 instead of going to the shrine one kobald kill away.....and they took the time to vote? I would have checked the area for Venn then gotten back out of there to the shrine before engaging the ogre. They think 4 on the ogre is the way to go, see how they feel about 3 on the ogre.

I have no problem ignoring party concensious to save it from it's self.

SINIBYTE
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Uber Suck - PUG ego

Granted it was a crappy group... but it also sounds like your overzealous, "I'll save this party, but I'll be humble about it", passive-aggressive behaviour contributed to the mess. Sometimes it's all a matter of perspective, another person could have written a verbose complaint post about the overzealous barbarian who kept running off ahead trying to solo the place thinking he was a hero...

Battleworm
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Gee thanks for the reply, now would you like to read the rest of the posts before commenting again?

Recap:
They posted they were looking for TANK in group
I joined group.
They did not mention positions or strategy to me
When they started dying using (un)said strategy i attempted to fix things.
Problems ensues (Hint Hint *** by both parties)

Pretty simple :)

Oh don't mind Turdh,just put him on ignore like most of us have and you'll have a100% enhanced forum experience.

Ash
12-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Granted it was a crappy group... but it also sounds like your overzealous, "I'll save this party, but I'll be humble about it", passive-aggressive behaviour contributed to the mess. Sometimes it's all a matter of perspective, another person could have written a verbose complaint post about the overzealous barbarian who kept running off ahead trying to solo the place thinking he was a hero...

Yes im sure they could have, and it would probably be quite entertaining

Thrudh
12-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Yes im sure they could have, and it would probably be quite entertaining

So then you agree that you could have been in the wrong here as much as them?

Kaervas
12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
All the best loot in DDO comes from breaking crates.

+1 loot level for explosive barrels
+1 loot level if it's on hard
+2 loot level if it's on elite
+5 loot level if you don't die and then follow the cleric around with puppy eyes instead of chugging potions

MrWizard
12-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I am sorry you had such a bad time. However after reading almost the entire thing it appears you joined a crowd that liked to stay together somewhat and were not uber players.

Although you seem to portray them as 'mr uber'-types, it is very apparent that you were doing your own thing and ignoring them completely while rolling your eyes at their comments. It is very apparent they were not 'leet' players who were zerging, but casual players having a good time.

They obviously did not like you leaving the group and forcing them to work harder while their uber tank was off doing his own thing. They were so happy you died they left you there, you should take the hint.

There are always two sides to the story but I get that their side would be one of 'he just ran off and did his own thing and ruined our fun'.

When I hear the group saying stuff like 'this spell for the win' and how excited they were over little battles I can just say it appears you ruined the fun for this group while completely ignoring the reality of what you were doing. And are still in denial.

You did not belong in that group since you were not willing to go along with their vision of the run. You think they have to do it your way and refused to work with them or adapt to their way. You should have left as they were obviously newer players for the most part. (caster went wrong way, etc, it is obvious).

You can play how you want but ruining people's games and then ragging on them in the forums just shows your inability to realize the party was the wrong one for you. This is entirely your fault and you should have either bowed out or slowed down and let them have fun and explore their way. You not only aggravated yourself, you gave them such a bad time they had to leave the dungeon and regroup without you.

You need a timeout. Think of others and leave a group if they are newer as you will ruin their play as you did this time.

Sorry, but the truth.

MrWizard
12-23-2009, 01:20 PM
"Barbarians are the beasts of the battlefield. Often using huge two-handed weapons or two weapons at once, they can deal immense amounts of melee damage."

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Class:Barbarian

On that page it says nothing about pulling back and letting the cleric with stats of...
Str - 8
Dex - 8
Con - 10
Int - 10
Wis - 18
Cha - 12
is going to do much damage :p
Sorry but its not in the cards ;)

Dude, you are obviously a noob that has a lot to learn. Hopefully you will get it right one day.

I would say you need to really get used to clerics not healing you after a while. Really. If I was a cleric in your group I would let someone else just carry your dead body. LOL.

Play a caster or cleric for a while first and learn that some of their spells are far more superior than your low armor class two handed sword weilding barb.

arrogance indeed. I wonder how they put up with you so long (now that I have read the other posts).... another reason why I am disliking pugs at low levels again. It is not the new players (it is fun to help them) it is the new 'think I'm uber' players that just make the whole experience painful.

good luck...you will improve hopefully and stop ruining others game play...or you will get a very bad rep on your server and people will just hate running with you (especially the clerics)

Ash
12-23-2009, 01:28 PM
So then you agree that you could have been in the wrong here as much as them?

I think you are missing the point

I HAVE NEVER DISPUTED SUCH COMMENTS AND MY STORY TELLS OF MY OWN MISTAKES

My story does not put me in the position of smelling like roses (hint hint hint)

The point of the story was again...
Fun
Entertaining
Venting
etc...

Maybe i should head the other advice and ignore you ;)

Ash
12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
When I hear the group saying stuff like 'this spell for the win' and how excited they were over little battles I can just say it appears you ruined the fun for this group while completely ignoring the reality of what you were doing.

Hey want to see me roll my eyes again ;):rolleyes:

They never stated what the objective was from the beginning, had they said it was a MICRO MANAGED GROUP and NOT REPEATEDLY DIED BECAUSE OF IT then things would have been different :)

Ash
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Dude, you are obviously a noob that has a lot to learn. Hopefully you will get it right one day.

Its funny cause once i died captain low stats was more than willing to finish off said dude, who coincidently was door blocked. There is nothing in the game that prevents multiple PC's from sharing the same door blocking swinging action. This happened more than once. Yes door blocking is such a solo sport while the rest stand back and do almost nothing.

You sir are talking from your venting tube

Ash
12-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Play a caster or cleric for a while first and learn that some of their spells are far more superior than your low armor class two handed sword weilding barb.

Ran a couple up to level 10 back in the days when that was caped

Now lets hear your un-fancy remark about BLAH.

Calebro
12-23-2009, 01:37 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing.
And I was reminded of the horrific run of Gwylan's elite I was in a couple of weeks ago.

In this run, the fighter enters early, runs ahead and begins "clearing" the place for us.... zerging traps.... grabbing a ton of aggro.... taking a beating.... and running back to the group with 20 mobs in tow screaming about how he's not getting healed.
So we clean up his mess and tell him that if he runs off on his own, HE IS ON HIS OWN!
He replies that he's clearing it for us.
We tell him thtat he's not helping to clear, he's being a sponge.
But I have 27 kills already
And 3 deaths. And add the four kills you brought on OUR OWN GROUP by your "clearing". It's not helping. And no one cares how many kills you have except you. We only care if WE die, which is what you're causing.
Eventually he understood why he wasn't getting healed, but that didn't change his play at all.
As soon as the quest was finished the entire group left because the leader didn't have the gonads to kick him. And it's a shame too, because the other 4 I was with (excluding him) were actually a decent group to pug with.

Ash
12-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing.
And I was reminded of the horrific run of Gwylan's elite I was in a couple of weeks ago.

In this run, the fighter enters early, runs ahead and begins "clearing" the place for us.... zerging traps.... grabbing a ton of aggro.... taking a beating.... and running back to the group with 20 mobs in tow screaming about how he's not getting healed.
So we clean up his mess and tell him that if he runs off on his own, HE IS ON HIS OWN!
He replies that he's clearing it for us.
We tell him thtat he's not helping to clear, he's being a sponge.
But I have 27 kills already
And 3 deaths. And add the four kills you brought on OUR OWN GROUP by your "clearing". It's not helping. And no one cares how many kills you have except you. We only care if WE die, which is what you're causing.
Eventually he understood why he wasn't getting healed, but that didn't change his play at all.
As soon as the quest was finished the entire group left because the leader didn't have the gonads to kick him. And it's a shame too, because the other 4 I was with (excluding him) were actually a decent group to pug with.

Thats messed up

I assure you I did not tow anything to anyone, I hate it when that is done to me. I kept my crazy train down in the pit, which is below but in sight of the ledge overhead. Strategy is all too important, that is, if you are reading from the same book :)

whysper
12-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I still wonder if most people in this thread actually read the OP.

Ash
12-23-2009, 01:56 PM

I didn't

F-that!

Calebro
12-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I read it. Twice actually.
There are three sides to every story, and that's why I was reminded of the Gwylan's run.

Ash
12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I read it. Twice actually.
There are three sides to every story, and that's why I was reminded of the Gwylan's run.

So you mean

My side, their side, and the events that are going to go down in the official police report????

muffinlad
12-23-2009, 02:04 PM
While it must have been frustrating for you Ash....your frustration gives us entertainment! So, just like a good Sit Com, you get to adventure and then regail us with the foibles and oddities of play.

So, in the future, do not see yourself as "put upon" or "burdened"...you are blessed. Blessed with the fortune to play with people who will give you good stories.

Even the gloating Newman who teamed with you should have made you remember, you are not a Barbarian...you are George Costanza with an Axe. It is your lot to suffer, and make the rest of us laugh, and be generally glad we are not in your shoes.

Looking forward to the next (mis-)Adventure.

muffinwatcher

Ash
12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
While it must have been frustrating for you Ash....your frustration gives us entertainment! So, just like a good Sit Com, you get to adventure and then regail us with the foibles and oddities of play.

So, in the future, do not see yourself as "put upon" or "burdened"...you are blessed. Blessed with the fortune to play with people who will give you good stories.

Even the gloating Newman who teamed with you should have made you remember, you are not a Barbarian...you are George Costanza with an Axe. It is your lot to suffer, and make the rest of us laugh, and be generally glad we are not in your shoes.

Looking forward to the next (mis-)Adventure.

muffinwatcher

Now that is a good post

Pokes fun at me but makes me laugh at the experience

so why am i crying inside :(

Thrudh
12-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Yeah I read it... I loved the 10 sentence paragraph where he described, in color, how his protection from evil potion got ninja-looted...

And I wasn't sure what that whole part about Parkinson's was about... (My condolences though, that's a terrible disease)

Ash
12-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah I read it... I loved the 10 sentence paragraph where he described, in color, how his protection from evil potion got ninja-looted...

And I wasn't sure what that whole part about Parkinson's was about... (My condolences though, that's a terrible disease)

The parkinson's tie in was basically how i got to deal with a closed minded person who couldn't control themselves to a closed minded person who could control themselves but decided to not do it.

yes a stretch but i thought the mental similarities were eerie

The potion was a character reference for what i was dealing with, not that i truly cared about it.

Zlingerdark
12-23-2009, 03:22 PM
The first thing they ask is if i have a mic, due to me being on my laptop in the family room and my sleeping family in the next room i just typed in "sorry, sleeping wife/kid". They made a joke about 'too bad for them' or something to that effect. I let it roll as i saw the humor, but wasn't going to indulge their desires.

That would have been my first clue right there. Every time I get a group that asks this question it is almost certain to be a bad run.

What is worse in my case I have had this happen 2 times in a row, with someone (same person) blind inviting me on 2 separate occasions. One was while I was in the middle of a mission, and text chatted my usual pleasantries, and what is on the agenda. No response. 5 minutes later I decide, "Hmmm, well might as well finish what I started here." I was actually waiting to see if he wanted to jump in the quest for some quick piking EXP, while I finish up.

5-10 minutes later, after no response I decide I wanted to run the same quest again, since I wasn't exactly all that familiar with it, I get this in text chat, "You have a mic?" Hehe! I can only imagine his frustration in trying to talk with me... Long story short he wanted to PvP in the Inn. Never having tried that I thought, "Oh, sure why not?"

Let's say that what transpired was not really any fun, since our group was totally inept and we got creamed by some highly twinked, and skilled folks... Yes, I admit I am a newb.

Next instance, was a few days later and although I had no real issue with this person, but I can only think I must have PUGd with him sometime ago, he blind invites me again. Again he ask, "Do you have a mic?"

/facepalm.

I politely reply, "No mic, no sound here sorry." To which I get total silence, and see the group starting to fill with people. I say hello on text chat as I am wont to do when a member joins. I even welcome hirelings! LOL. Next, I ask the usual what are we going to do this evening?

Silence.

Eventually the groups starts to have some issues. What? I cannot gather, as I am sure they were all yapping in their mics, instead of texting. One of the added members must have been like me because we were both asking the same thing on text chat. After about 5 minutes the leader, the blind inviter, says he has to drop. Drops. Then shortly afterward the rest of the party drops, and I am left in the cold again.

Again, I have nothing against this guy, but I know I am likely asking for a bad time when I see that invite now, and may just refuse in the future. Sadly, the OP had a far worse situation, and one that is uncalled for. Hopefully in the near future you will identify these types within a few minutes, and can make an educated guess on the potential for disaster in the PUG.

Thrudh
12-24-2009, 12:05 AM
I politely reply, "No mic, no sound here sorry."

You don't need a mic to play effectively, but you really should have sound...

Nysrock
12-24-2009, 12:49 AM
You don't need a mic to play effectively, but you really should have sound...

Actually you don't need sound either. I ran Stormcleave awhile back and our cleric had his voicechat disabled because he was deaf. Took me a little bit to get used to typing everything again but he was a great cleric and we completed with no problems.:D

Nysrock
12-24-2009, 12:54 AM
And to the OP, I feel for you man.

Right, wrong or indifferent I have been in similar PUGs were it was apparent that the rest of the party had no idea what was going on. Now I too tried to help said party, in STK, but after awhile of them running off to do their own thing and dying I just gave up.

I know I wasn't completely right running ahead but you can only carry so many stones back the so many shrines before you get tired of it. 1 other guy was like me and we pretty much pulled the group through the whole quest. I'm sure some were ticked at me but *shrugs*

Thrudh
12-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Actually you don't need sound either. I ran Stormcleave awhile back and our cleric had his voicechat disabled because he was deaf. Took me a little bit to get used to typing everything again but he was a great cleric and we completed with no problems.:D

If you're deaf or have another good excuse that's fine...

And you won't have too many problems running Stormcleave..

Harder quests or raids, you really should have sound... It's not fair to make everyone type it all out, if you're perfectly capable of hearing the leader's instructions.

gallantian
12-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Harder quests or raids, you really should have sound... It's not fair to make everyone type it all out, if you're perfectly capable of hearing the leader's instructions.

I agree with this, not everyone may have a mic, but a couple of speakers should be attached to your computer. it make a big difference to be able to hear what is going on whether you can reply by voice or text.

Jasimine
12-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi there,

I myself have had incedents in water works that would border only on the absurd. Really the place is a nightmare for pugging. Even Delera's has been getting worse as of late, people wanting to zerg ahead of the group thinking they are the hero when all they are doing is causing mass confusion and chaos.

Two incidents of this. I was playing my fledgling bard in water works. I started the group, get it together, even went so far as to say no Zerging in the LFM posting. I even EXPLAINED what zerging was as someone asked. We zone in after everyone gathers and before I can finish loading we have two dead members from the very first acid trap. One of them was the rogue.....

About 50 minutes later we finally make it through part one, I drop party as everyone litterally ended up spread all over the map doing their own thing and refusing to come for the quest objectives or stick together. I say screw it, drop party, and put a new LFM up for a new group. Figured none from the first party were even salvagable. Second party made it through the second quest before I was so frustrated that I left the party. I actually was having to heal Argos because the wizard talked to him, then ran headlong into a group of kobold shamans with a great axe equipped. Yea, it was scary ugly. The whole time they are running around like idiots and I'm trying to get some order to the party they are busy making jokes about each others... umm well their sizes shall we say.

Delera's I've had the same problem. Wizards and Sorc's who think they are to good for the party. They run ahead throwing their firewalls, refusing to do any buffing for the party, and suddenly they go splat. Honestly, I'm at the point now that if someone runs ahead with out good reason or forwarning I will tell the party to leave them dead if they die. No sense in anyone wasting heals on someone that can't work with a team.

Really in the end I commend the OP for admitting he screwed up as well. I've had barbarians act like that in waterworks, fighters too, and all I can do is shake my head. Early game on normal fighters and barbarians are like an easy button. Elite, they do need support unless in very good gear or in the hands of a very skilled player. However some of the chaos you witnessed should, as everyone said, alert you you have new folks. At that point do as they ask. If something happens, try to suggest another way to do it, but don't go gonzo trying to be the hero that saves their bacon. If they don't learn from their mistakes now, they will only continue to make them.

By the way, OP, thanks for the laugh, the story was hilarious in the end. Might I suggest writting up something like that from an In Character perspective? Might be funny to hear the story from your barbarians eyes, and not yours. "Ugh, stupid city people, run like chickens all over the place... need chicken dog to herd them up"

Oh and the Uber Soundblast comment, I'll wager they were just goofing off with stuff like that. Don't take things like that to heart unless they are simutaniously badmouthing you directly and in a very bad way. I think that was your largest error. You assumed the worst right off about their attitude when the cleric made his comments about saving the day. Just smile congradulate him, and make a pun of your own back.