PDA

View Full Version : A pair of spell-related questions

Seventh
12-21-2009, 05:02 AM
A lot of spells are dependent on the hit dice of the target, but I'm guessing that with HP being very different in DDO than in PnP, I can't count on my monster manual to tell me what spells will work on what. So does anyone know how the hit dice of mobs scales by level and difficulty of a quest? I figure there must be some way to check what with trap the soul being hit dice dependent, but I haven't found out how. Or maybe there isn't, and you just have to figure it out by trial and error?

And one more question: I once saw a caster use a spell that seemed to paralyze large numbers of mobs in a low-mid level quest (I think it was tear of dhakaan, lots of hobgoblins). but I don't know what spell it was. Could anyone tell me? The mobs just froze in place (literally froze in mid-animation, if I remember correctly), and the symbol that appeared above their heads was a little green haze. It affected multiple mobs at once so I'm guessing it's an AoE. I don't know the level of the spell, or even if it was arcane or divine.

sephiroth1084
12-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Generally, spells based on the HD of the target are almost completely worthless. Sleep is okay for a level or two, but by the time you hit the Harbor, even a lot of the kobolds have more than 4 HD (especially on hard and elite). Deep Slumber comes too late to be of much use at all. Some of the spells can be fun to mess around with in PvP, but they are almost never a good option when questing.

I dunno about the green symbol, but that sounds like Hypnotism (reddish symbol) that stops a group of monsters until they are hit.

Kaldais
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
A lot of spells are dependent on the hit dice of the target, but I'm guessing that with HP being very different in DDO than in PnP, I can't count on my monster manual to tell me what spells will work on what. So does anyone know how the hit dice of mobs scales by level and difficulty of a quest? I figure there must be some way to check what with trap the soul being hit dice dependent, but I haven't found out how. Or maybe there isn't, and you just have to figure it out by trial and error?

And one more question: I once saw a caster use a spell that seemed to paralyze large numbers of mobs in a low-mid level quest (I think it was tear of dhakaan, lots of hobgoblins). but I don't know what spell it was. Could anyone tell me? The mobs just froze in place (literally froze in mid-animation, if I remember correctly), and the symbol that appeared above their heads was a little green haze. It affected multiple mobs at once so I'm guessing it's an AoE. I don't know the level of the spell, or even if it was arcane or divine.

The developers claim that the hit dice of the monsters does follow the Monster Manual, however they did gave all monster feats similar to our Heroic Endurance feat and boosted their hit points to 3x the normal. The main problem with DDO is that when you enter a quest, almost all the encounters you have in there will have CRs close and over the quest level, thus making your HD specific spells almost useless, and spells such as sleep, deep slumber, undead to death have very slow landing time. By the time spell took effect creatures will most likely be out of spell affect area anyway.

jkm
12-21-2009, 03:56 PM

ghoul touch - level 2

this is one of the most powerful spells you can have in the harbor IF you are in a good party and understand how to take care of yourself.

ghoul touch is a fort save spell that if they fail their save it causes insta-crits for melees. since casters have sucktastic fort saves you can pretty much run down the line of kobold shamans lining up monster numbers for the melees. "OH MY GOD I GOT HIM FOR 95!!! I AM UBERZ" "LOK @ MY KLIL CNOUT!!!!"