PDA

View Full Version : For those trying to buy points with Paypal from outside the states

chubbs99
12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I just got off the phone with paypal support, It turns out that Paypal has deemed Turbines online store a high risk for possible security breach (My wording not theirs). And so, payment with an instant transfer from a bank account will be blocked by paypal to make sure your information stays protected. Reading between the lines of the conversation I had with the person from Paypal also makes me assume the same can be said for Credit Cards, I was told that using a Paypal ballance shouldn't be an issue. However the only issue is, if your outside of the states your looking at having to guess what the exchange rate will be in 6-8 business days when the transfer is finally processed, and then it would be close to a week before you can buy TP.

I do not know if there is a recient change to Turbines security, or what paypal defines as secure because I've made a few TP purchances in the past, all using Instant transfer and all went through fine. This seems to be a fairly recent problem.

Rumbaar
12-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Well I'm from outside the states and have made direct debit transfers from my credit card through paypal.

But that being said when I first setup my account with Turbine they put a 'hold amount' onto my assigned credit card [which I'm sure they didn't inform me they were doing that] and my credit card company put a hold on my credit card due to Turbine being a high risk as well.

I think they need to inform their customers on what they are going to do and also better liaise with banks.

donfilibuster
12-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a canned response to me, long time verified accounts work fine while the most problems belong to unverified accounts.
In the meanwhile try that tip of putting funds into the paypal balance first and see if it works.

chubbs99
12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I am a VERY long time verified business account with paypal. I set this account up close to 5 years ago and I've never had a problem. But when I used DDO's online support to look at the error I was getting, "Payment Capture Failure (http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/knowledge-base)" there wasn't much help. Paypal orginially told me it was because the transaction was trying to be charged to a credit card that was declining it, but I know I had set it to take funds directly from my bank account. I tried it twice more while on the phone, the first time I got the same error and the second time got a Merchant Declined or something, an error that wasn't in the knowledge base but one that made apparently made sence to the guy I was on the phone with, thats when he informed me that Paypal had stopped to transaction due to the store being "high risk" and they didn't want any chance of my bank information to be intercepted. Something I can completely understand and I'm thankful for actually, I love paypal :D I wish more places online would accept it (including for DDO subscriptions? Naw now I'm just dreaming...). Its just a pain that due to a lack of security I'll have to wait a week to get any more TP -_- and by then the +2 tomes will likely be gone, and I won't be able to get any exp pots to take full advantage of the exp bonus we are getting.

I 'should' be getting my bonus 1000 TP for vip... I don't really know If/when I already get it... would be nice to have a record of that sort of thing.

I hope I hadn't sounded upset in anyway in the last post, Just wanted to give an informed post to people who may experiance the same thing, since the knowledge base provides such a useful answer

Visty
12-20-2009, 03:33 PM
in the beta it worked without problems, have to be something new then

chubbs99
12-20-2009, 03:40 PM
It also worked for the 5k TP for $49.99 :P I know, the offer was to good to pass up lol.

Something is indeed different. Either something has changed in turbines security measures, or Paypal has stepped up they believe "safe" is and the DDOStore no longer meets those requirements and as such gets labeled high risk. I'm not trying to point blame, **** happens

Rumbaar
12-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Well I purchased the 5000TP @ $49.99 deal via PayPal funds and direct balance draw from my Credit Card and the recent 3525TP @ $38.99 deal via direct Credit Card withdrawl without issues. Got the TP point straight away and without issues.

Now I did have issues updating my Turbine account with new details, as it wouldn't take my new details which in turn meant I had to use PayPal.

I'll hazard to guess it is Turbine that is the issue here. Funny for a model that relies on impulse purchases, they make it quite hard at times.