PDA

View Full Version : imp crit or greater thf?

sly_1
12-20-2009, 10:35 AM
So I was planning to take improved critical with my 2hf bard warchanter. This is a str build, using falchions primarily and scimitars when i need a bit of ac from shield or to shield block if diplo is getting rid of aggro for me.

Due to the superior threat range of falch and scim I'm thinking imp crit is the better choice for overall dps, but I'm unsure of how amazing greater 2hf is.

This is the last feat the character gets, just hit lvl 18 and won't b taking any fighter or other class lvls to get any additional feats from here on out. Any input?

Thanks!

Visty
12-20-2009, 10:39 AM
craft a mineral II in shroud which is keen and get gthf :)

sly_1
12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
craft a mineral II in shroud which is keen and get gthf :)

I guess my main concern is what about when I'm not using that particular weapon? surely there will be times when paralyzing, smiting, vorpal, disruption, banishing etc will be the better weapon to use, right?

Visty
12-20-2009, 10:44 AM
not once youre past lvl14
at that point the power5 wont work anymore to make them useful

vorpal still works, but for that the crit range doesnt matter

sly_1
12-20-2009, 10:49 AM
not once youre past lvl14
at that point the power5 wont work anymore to make them useful

vorpal still works, but for that the crit range doesnt matter

Sry I'm still a bit of a noob here. whadaya mean they won't work? I see people paralyzing, banishing, smiting etc stuff in the shroud zones which are all lvl 14+ iirc.

Visty
12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
make it lvl16 then
at that point mobs will have such high saves that para will only work on a rolled 1 fromthe mob, banish is just impossible, smiting can work but there arent enough mobs to justify the imp crit feat, disrupters dont care about crits and vorpals neither

sly_1
12-20-2009, 10:58 AM
make it lvl16 then
at that point mobs will have such high saves that para will only work on a rolled 1 fromthe mob, banish is just impossible, smiting can work but there arent enough mobs to justify the imp crit feat, disrupters dont care about crits and vorpals neither

Okie, makes sense. My experience with the lvl 18 quests I've run confirms what you're saying. I guess the only loss then, is if using a vorpal weapon I'll just crit less so the non 20's that are still crits won't be as amazing.

Seems fair enough.

Thanks!

Nezichiend
12-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Take IC: Slash now, and when you get a MinII falch, trade it out for GTHF.

The dragonshards aren't expensive from the DDO store

DasLurch
12-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Take IC: Slash now, and when you get a MinII falch, trade it out for GTHF.

The dragonshards aren't expensive from the DDO store

+1 rep.

Ok on to the op's question...

In my mind, the goal is to have both by use of what both responders have told you. It would also be dependant on the types of weapons you are using. If you are using a falchion most of the time, I'd say imp crit would be more beneficial to you. If it is a Greatsword, you'd be fine either way. Maul or greataxe, and I'd be saying that Grtr 2hf is the way to go. You said it is for your bard, so I'm guessing that you are feat strapped. The ultimate goal is to find weapons that would allow you to max out your damage. Keen weapons would be of some use. If you are using burst weapons, Imp crit becomes more appealing, and if not, then you are back to the 2hf line. One of the best weapons you will have availible to you in the game is a Min II weapon. I'd say take the Imp crit for now until you can craft one. Swap it out after, and never change your weapons again :)

Also what the above poster said about the power 5 is not too far off. You will still be swing vorpals most of the game at times. After the vale, banishers are not worth much. Disruptors are generally less shiny after the desert, and Smiters are still ok at high level, but like it was mentioned, the mobs save alot more at high end. Weakening/enfeebling is still a nice combo (even thought the dev's broke it in a past update), and wound punct or enfeeb will help you out too. Good luck and have fun!

Kza
12-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Imho, if you dont have ingrs to make a min2 right now, take imp crit and trade it out once you have crafted it. You do way better dps this way until you get da ubba weap.

Argh sorry saw somone already suggested it.