PDA

View Full Version : "Freshen the Air" on solo

brian14
12-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Well, I did what Voice of Dungeon Master, as well as a relevant NPC explicitly advise not to do: tackled "Freshen the Air" aka Troglodyte hatchery on solo. On the third try -- first time I ran out of time, as intended; I was exploring slowly. Second time I died although could have succeeded -- in confusion of Big Room I simply forgot what healing stuff I had, and thus failed to use it. Third time I made it by making a careful plan and sticking to it.

Warning: SPOILERS ahead!

Run through foyer, down the pit and through the tunnel. Kill three trogs in first room, open the door. Kill two trogs who run out the door, then cast Ram's Might, Protection for Evil clickie (gloves), Expeditious Boots -- in that order, with shortest-lasting effect last. Sprint up the ramp, pause to shoot a ranged trog positioned against the ramp, then run to the top and to the lever, killing trogs along the way. Jump down to ledge, then to the floor (no damage that way), kill remaining trogs on the floor. Drink few Cure Lights, then swallow Thelanis jelly cake to boost rolls, and into next room. First, run behind the "podium" with three ranged kobolds and kill them -- the damage these three can do if you do not deal with them is astonishing. Then up the ramp, and essentially same as previous room. Once the door into Big Room is open, drink few more Cure Lights, Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace, and click Protection for Evil gloves and Expeditious Boots again, as they had run out. In Big Room quickly kill nearest 3-4 ranged kobolds (easy, as with boots I am faster than they are), then start on the big crates. Sprint to each crate, stop as close to the wall as I can so crate blocks as many ranged baddies as possible, hack at the crate. As my hit points decrease, swallow a Lamannia jelly cake -- which I made sure to save until now! When rude trogs interrupt my demolition, turn around and kill them, and count on Lamannia jelly cake to keep ahead of damage from ranged enemies. Resist temptation to stop and pick up all dropped collectibles -- not so much because it wastes time, but because it exposes me to snipers longer. I made an exception for one Rubble collectible because it was completely hidden behind a crate.

When all big crates are wrecked, run up the ramp. By now my speed boost ran out which can't be helped. Once on top platform, cast another Ram's Might, Protection from Evil and eat another Thelanis jelly cake. That gives enough boost to dispatch trogs on the platform. I pause to shoot 2 or 3 particularly annoying snipers, then turn the valve and run down the tunnel. Kill trogs there, drink few more Cure Lights and a Keoghtom's ointment (Lamannia had run out by then), and get to trog queen's chamber. I prepared Beholder cookie and Hezrou cookie in case she was some ridiculous CR 6 monster, but those proved unnecessary. Don't remember if I got to the shrine before or after queen, but it was most welcome, especially to recharge the clickies.

Had a nervous minute when the door past queen's chamber opened back into Big Room. Where the hell is the exit?? Clicked Protection From Evil and Boots again, as snipers on the ledges keep hitting me, then look at the map and figure it out. Made it to the end NPC on time, then, quest completed, went back to mop up without hurry.

Two chests, 1 gold Festivult coin, several coppers. Not a lot for the effort.

brian14
12-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Question for more experienced players:

Do you get an xp penalty if you run a quest below your level? "Freshen the Air" is a quest level 4, and my ranger was within 1000 xp of level 5 -- and of course got to level 5 as a result. Would I have lost xp if I got to level 5 in more boring ways first, then tackled troglodyte hatchery?

techwench
12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Question for more experienced players:

Do you get an xp penalty if you run a quest below your level? "Freshen the Air" is a quest level 4, and my ranger was within 1000 xp of level 5 -- and of course got to level 5 as a result. Would I have lost xp if I got to level 5 in more boring ways first, then tackled troglodyte hatchery?

You don't get an xp penalty one level above. From 2 levels above, you start taking penalties per level.

RadioactivePiranha
12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
The penalty for being 2 levels above is only -10% base xp. The penalty increases with higher levels until at 7 levels above you get 0 xp. You can examine penalties and bonuses to your experience for a quest by hitting 'x' while you are inside.