PDA

View Full Version : Advice on THF pure warchanter bard

ThisIsMadness
12-17-2009, 09:10 AM
hello!

I want to make a pure warchanter bard using two handed weapons.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.10
DDO Character Planner Home Page

a b
Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
(20 Bard)
Hit Points: 222
Spell Points: 652

BAB: 15/15/20/2525
Fortitude: 8
Reflex: 11
Will: 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 18 24
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 14 15
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 14 17

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 3 22
Bluff 2 3
Concentration 6 25
Diplomacy 2 3
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 6 26
Heal -1 -1
Hide -1 -1
Intimidate 2 3
Jump 4 7
Listen -1 -1
Move Silently -1 -1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform 6 26
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot -1 -1
Swim 4 7
Tumble 3 22
Use Magic Device 6 26

Level 1 (Bard)
Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness
Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery I
Enhancement: Human Versatility I
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic I
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery I

Level 2 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage I
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I

Level 3 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack I
Enhancement: Bard Charisma I

Level 4 (Bard)
Enhancement: Human Versatility II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Bard Energy of the Music I

Level 5 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery II
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I

Level 6 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Enhancement: Bard Warchanter I

Level 7 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage II
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery II

Level 8 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack II

Level 9 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Bard Energy of the Music II

Level 10 (Bard)
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II

Level 11 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song II
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic II

Level 12 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting
EEnhancement: Bard Charisma II

Level 13 (Bard)

Level 14 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack III

Level 15 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage III
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery III

Level 16 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery IV

Level 17 (Bard)

Level 18 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery III

Level 19 (Bard)
Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Constitution I

Level 20 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Charisma III

I come with something like this, i choosed THF over TWF to save some feats i used to get extend and toughness.
I want to enhance my party abilities while still having some dps power and enough sp to buff team. Any Advices?

Judo
12-17-2009, 09:14 AM
this is pretty much how i built mine, decent solo dps, self healing, decent fascination, and max bard buffs, pretty much the ideal bard for end game IMHO

Demoyn
12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
I'd switch out the THF and extend feats. You'll hate life on levels 7 and 8 if you don't already have extend (but will barely notice THF).

You also don't need a 14 charisma on a warchanter, so if you'd like to reduce it to put more stats elsewhere (maybe a bit more dex for reflex save) then that would work. That's entirely up to you, though.

Other than that it's a perfectly fine build. I think you'll enjoy it.

ThisIsMadness
12-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Also, which weapon should i use?

ThisIsMadness
12-17-2009, 02:22 PM
bump/up/whatever? Which weapons should i use on twf pure bard using master's touch?

Freeman
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
First, I'd switch Extend to first level and Toughness to 9th. That's around the point where you'll need to bump up your HP anyway. Then at 12th, take Improved Crit and bump the other feats back. Second, as to what weapon, at lower levels, use the best two-handed slashers you can find(greatsword, greataxe, or falchion). You can pick which you prefer at later levels when you start to get a more stable assortment of weapons, you can pick which, if any, you'd prefer to go with.

As for your enhancements, I wouldn't take all of the Human Recovery enhancements. The cost/benefit just isn't worth it for the third tier, and the second is questionable as well.

OldAquarian
12-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Was thinking of something similar except Dwarf and then obviously Great Axe

sly_1
12-24-2009, 08:31 PM
You seem to be taking wand heightening which increases the dc of wands, that's probably a waste. Wand and scroll mastery would be better for healing from scrolls or wands. Wands won't be better damage than your melee by a long shot dps wise, so having a better dc on wands isn't worth it imo. Also wands are random drops and the ones you can buy aren't going to be reliable or even decent dps compared to melee. I could always be wrong of course...

Another option would be the spell penetration enhancements, if you are actually going to try to crowd control at higher lvls it would be nice to be able to get past sr when it's out there.

Also, with 8 dex, you won't really get the full benefit of any armor except mith plate which will cause spell failure. So you will have to either deal with spell failure or go with light armor, but then your ac will be very poor. Sure at end game it seems in a lot of situations ac doesn't matter, but leading up to endgame, and fighting trash mobs in endgame (in other words like 90% of the time) your ac is important.

~Jules921
12-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Was thinking of something similar except Dwarf and then obviously Great Axe

That's what I did for my warchanter build - only have her at level 8 now but she's been known to out kill in plenty of parties. I originally had one that was using Master's Touch for Dwarven axes but got too annoyed with the Master's Touch bug that showed the icon/spell being active when it wasn't.

Jules

KillEveryone
12-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I didn't see any specific weapon feat(great axe, great sword). If you are using masters touch to cover all your weapons, keep in mind to have a weapon that you have a feat for to be able to use against beholders. They will debuff your masters touch and you will have a penalty to hit. Bards are only proficient with simple weapons and longsword, rapier, shortsword.

Masters touch is nice to use. I used it for the first time for VON flagging last night. Beholders took it away each time and I have to adjust tactics and need to grab one of the swords I was using so I can cover my bases.

Blackbird
12-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I didn't see any specific weapon feat(great axe, great sword). If you are using masters touch to cover all your weapons, keep in mind to have a weapon that you have a feat for to be able to use against beholders. They will debuff your masters touch and you will have a penalty to hit. Bards are only proficient with simple weapons and longsword, rapier, shortsword.

Masters touch is nice to use. I used it for the first time for VON flagging last night. Beholders took it away each time and I have to adjust tactics and need to grab one of the swords I was using so I can cover my bases.

Actually, most beholders have a terrible AC, so the -4 penalty you get for non-proficiency won't make a significant difference in your ability to hit them. Yes, there are some exceptions, such as the red-named beholder at the end of VON 3, that have a decently high AC, but those are the exception. For general trash beholders, your attack bonus shouldn't be a problem. I carried a nice quarterstaff for a long time for those situations, then realized that I'd never actually used it.

Freeman posting from Blackbird's account.