PDA

View Full Version : Group for Haste

Shyver
12-16-2009, 10:30 AM
When a caster says (or types) 'Group for haste' please group up on the caster so they can cast and you can go about killing things. Don't just stop where you are and wait for the group to gather on you.

Oddly enough I've had this happen in just about every PuG I've been in since I rolled a caster on Sunday. Normaly I'd just cast it on those that group on me and tough luck to the one tank that misses out. But when all of the players just stop where they are waiting for the caster to come to them it makes it rather frustrating.

So please, when a caster says 'Group for Haste', find them, get your crack, and go about killing. If you keep thinking that you are more important than the next guy you will quickly find yourself sucking down haste pots. :)

Swedishchef
12-16-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/not-another-dumbass.jpg

[WARNING EXPLICIT LANGUAGE]

Always haste if your not in a guild-or gipmed grp........

Shyver
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM

This isn't about a caster not hasting, it's about self-centered players feeling that everyone should group on them instead of going to the source of the haste.

antivenom
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm wondering if you actually read the first post at all, Swedishchef? My guess is no, well done on making yourself look like the guy in your picture... :)

ReaperAlexEU
12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
bah, no wonder its not working, you should say "hug for haste"! well, at leasts thats what i'm used to coming from keeper :)

personally i just head towards the biggest concentration of players, if every one is scattered then i will try to spot the caster.

Impaqt
12-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Try "Haste on ME".

"Group for Haste" is ambiguous. no actual direction as to WHERE you want them to group for haste.

Sarazahj
If I'm doing a Quest that I consider "hard" with my party(due to raw difficulty,sheer incompetence from teammates or other reasons),I'll call out "Hasting." and wait 2-3 seconds.

If they're not there,well too bad,I'll just Haste myself,if I see a good situation to Haste(like when everyone gathers around a chest ;)) I drop one too,but I never bother going out of my way to Haste every stupid straggler,if you miss it just go in your corner and cry me a river.

Krag
When a caster says (or types) 'Group for haste' please group up on the caster so they can cast and you can go about killing things. Don't just stop where you are and wait for the group to gather on you.

I usually type 'Haste on me!' instead of 'Group for haste'.
Works slightly better.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Someone clearly can't read...

Lorien_the_First_One
12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I usually type 'Haste on me!' instead of 'Group for haste'.
Works slightly better.

"haste on me in 3..2...1.." <click>

They miss it, tough.

Murgatroyd
12-16-2009, 12:15 PM
As a caster if you want to see who is in control of the party say/type these three simple worlds "haste on me" :D

karnokvolrath
12-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I need this T-shirt.....

Haste, The Zerg Stopper ;)

Urguwno
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I see no reason Turbine can't make group buffs simply apply to everyone in the group rather than a limited area of effect.

This would surely create a smoother gaming experience for everyone.

Gol
12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
This would surely create a smoother gaming experience for everyone.And be seriously exploited...

Mav145
12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Yep, "haste on me" 3...2....1...then blamo!

If you miss it, drink a haste pot or go cry to mama.

moorewr
12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I see no reason Turbine can't make group buffs simply apply to everyone in the group rather than a limited area of effect.

They could, but that isn't how it works in D&D.

dunklezhan
12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
*embarrassed shuffle*

Um... haste casts on multiple people? This is news to me. I've only had the spell a week or so, but I've never noticed it working on more than the person I cast it on - and our regular party of three are usually pretty close together, cos I tell them when I'm about to buff, and they want my bardsong!

I take it for haste to hit multiple people they've got to be practically on top of each other?

Oh, and please do feel free to link to this post if anyone ever - EVER - acts like because they're VIP they're somehow better than f2p or premium. I've been VIP for a couple of weeks now. It has not magically improved my ability to play. From the way many vets were acting on this forum I could have been forgiven for expecting me forking over subs to be like levelling up at Life(tm)...

Lorien_the_First_One
12-16-2009, 12:59 PM

And be very exploitable.

*embarrassed shuffle*

Um... haste casts on multiple people? This is news to me.

Not your fault, its not in the compendium definition of haste. It hits 1 person per caster level.

Arlith
12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Try "Haste on ME".

"Group for Haste" is ambiguous. no actual direction as to WHERE you want them to group for haste.

This.

If you give a group of people the perception of options, they will opt for that which irritates you. Make it specific.

Shamurai
12-16-2009, 01:04 PM
When you cast haste you will see orangish golden ring appear around you and everyone in that area of effect will be hasted.

Haste potions are for self only.

Hadrian
12-16-2009, 01:05 PM
The spell animation draws a circle on the ground to indicate the range of the buff. It's an AoE centered on your target. It can only buff 1 person/level at which the spell is cast, so if you're not yet level 6 it cannot buff your entire 6-man party.

That really used to be annoying in 12-man parties back when the cap was 10.

Missing_Minds
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM

so.. you want to haste people that are in a dungeon, most of the way through the quest, 3 levels (height wise) below you....

hell, might as well just not even be in the quest to cast haste on all part members then. Or heck, toss cure spells the same way!

Yeah, very broken idea.

dunklezhan
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
*embarrassed shuffle*

Um... haste casts on multiple people? This is news to me. I've only had the spell a week or so, but I've never noticed it working on more than the person I cast it on - and our regular party of three are usually pretty close together, cos I tell them when I'm about to buff, and they want my bardsong!

I take it for haste to hit multiple people they've got to be practically on top of each other?

Oh, and please do feel free to link to this post if anyone ever - EVER - acts like because they're VIP they're somehow better than f2p or premium. I've been VIP for a couple of weeks now. It has not magically improved my ability to play. From the way many vets were acting on this forum I could have been forgiven for expecting me forking over subs to be like levelling up at Life(tm)...

*embarrassed shuffle, followed by ritual suicide*

apparently, VIP doesn't grant you the ability to read, or think either.

I don't have haste. I was thinking of blur.

if you link anyone to my last post... you'd better link them to this one too.

*sigh*

I'm very tired.

Shade
12-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I get the idea - you want the haste too.

But it's a group effort, and as a caster the haste isn't as important to you as it is to the melee. So why isn't the haste centered on the melee making the most use of it?

Seems like so many casters are clueless and seem to think it's a self only spell. Or there just so important that they are the only worthy target.

Especially mid-combat when haste is needed.. I always see casters do dumb things like call out gather during a big fight.. And if the melee did that, everyone would take the aoe dmg and potentially die.

Personally I try to avoid doing hastes on myself and forcing people to backtrack for something I want them to have easily. I generally pick doors or chests to call out the haste, then cast it directly on a nearby melee, not myself. Mid battle I'll always cast it on a melee engaged in combat and if I want it myself, I'll try to move into range as it casts.

Because if you miss the haste yourself - you know it, and you can fix it easily. If the main melee doing most of the kills misses it just barely, you may not see it.

I find it especially irritating when I'm doing a a high lvl fast lootrun and the lvl20 sorc demands we "gather".. I mean he has 3000 sp and we will be to the shrine in 2 minuits so he could just cast haste contrinously every second and not run outa sp, yet he can't be bothered to cast a few hastes on the run? very lame imo. In fast runs, effecientcy comes secondary to speed.

Arnya
12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I have noticed this as well - people expect everyone to group on them for haste.

It's funny though, because I cast it so it hits everyone but the arrogant jerks just out of range :)

When I zone into the first quest with a new party, I tell them to come find me when their haste is at 10secs or wait or the next time I cast it.:D

nat_1
12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
This.

If you give a group of people the perception of options, they will opt for that which irritates you. Make it specific.

+1 rep. That is sig worthy.

tfangel
12-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I used to have a macro for my g15 keyboard that said something like "gather around me for haste", and when those that looked like they were wanting it i were there, i cast it. If it seems like it's running out in battle, i'll just either run in range of the fighters and cast it without saying anything or target one of the melee and pop it on them and those around them.

Casters may not "need" haste, but if everyone else in the group has it and you don't, you will be left behind by just the run speed increase. This is really bad when it's one of those groups that just does the "run by enemies" things. ;)

Sirea
12-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Meh, if people are around me when I cast haste, they get it. I can't be bothered to stand around waiting for people to gather on me, there's mobs waiting to be roasted, fried, turned to ice cubes, smushed into soul gems, scared to death, or just outright killed :D

Glenalth
12-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Try "Haste on ME".

This, plus replace "ME" with your name or another viable target. Most people don't know who is talking in a pug full of people they have never partied with before.

Shyver
12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Heh, I never really expected this thread to develop, let alone go two pages. :p

Try "Haste on ME".

Yeah I'll change it up and put the ME into the chat. I've never had any issue with 'group for haste' in all the years I've been playing. But nothing wrong with a simple adaptation to clear up any confusion.

This.

This really is sig worthy. :)

I get the idea - you want the haste too.

But it's a group effort, and as a caster the haste isn't as important to you as it is to the melee. So why isn't the haste centered on the melee making the most use of it?

Hasting during combat is ineffective (especialy in these low level PuGs) when the melee classes are spread out fighting multiple mobs at once. It's more SP efficient (and easier) to just have everyone quickly group up after a battle as haste is running out, cast and go. However if haste runs out during a longer boss fight, you of course target the grouped melee to keep them swinging.

Seems like so many casters are clueless and seem to think it's a self only spell. Or there just so important that they are the only worthy target.

Especially mid-combat when haste is needed.. I always see casters do dumb things like call out gather during a big fight.. And if the melee did that, everyone would take the aoe dmg and potentially die.

Well I would hope that the caster would just hit the melee with haste during the middle of a fight if it's getting ready to expire. Calling them back for that during a fight is just silly, and I'm glad I've never seen it myself. Though I would have a good laugh at their expense if I did. :D

Personally I try to avoid doing hastes on myself and forcing people to backtrack for something I want them to have easily. I generally pick doors or chests to call out the haste, then cast it directly on a nearby melee, not myself. Mid battle I'll always cast it on a melee engaged in combat and if I want it myself, I'll try to move into range as it casts.

That is good advice all the way around, and what I have always done at cap/high-level. It's at the low level when you have to recast it often that you have to have people group more frequently.

Because if you miss the haste yourself - you know it, and you can fix it easily. If the main melee doing most of the kills misses it just barely, you may not see it.

This is true at high level as you have a vast pool of SP to pull from. At level 5-11 or so having to recast an area effect buff only on yourself because people didn't take 1 second to group up is wasteful of what really is a limited resource at that point.

I find it especially irritating when I'm doing a a high lvl fast lootrun and the lvl20 sorc demands we "gather".. I mean he has 3000 sp and we will be to the shrine in 2 minuits so he could just cast haste contrinously every second and not run outa sp, yet he can't be bothered to cast a few hastes on the run? very lame imo. In fast runs, effecientcy comes secondary to speed.

This is true again at high level, not at the lower levels, which I was directing this at. (Hence putting it in the New Player area as opposed to the Wizard or General forums. ;)) At cap/high level a caster has the resources to keep anyone that may have missed the haste hasted and this isn't an issue. (Hopefully they've learned the art of the haste by that time. Though some high level PuGs of late have made me wonder :eek: )

But at levels 5-11 or so you really have to manage your SP usage and the group not taking a second to group up so everyone can kill/move quicker is a waste of resources. Not to mention the tendency of PuGs to be scattered, attacking multiple mobs, and frankly not sticking together, this becomes an even larger issue for the caster who is just trying to hand out some crack. :D

Cupcake
12-16-2009, 05:22 PM
"haste on me in 3..2...1.." <click>

They miss it, tough.

Agreed.

I ran into this the other day.

MysterX
12-16-2009, 05:31 PM
/gather

but then again, I expect that works about as well as when the rogue tries

/stop

Lorz
12-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Um...cause its an AOE (area of effect spell) it has a set radius it works in. What you suggest is more of that same old thing...lets dumb down the game so you dont have to learn to play but instead can just be a bad player and get by. Seriously this attitude is wrong and is what is wrong with so many other MMO's either man up or go play one of the kiddie games that are dumbed down.

And i usually mistype it as "Hate on me" seems to work either way.

That and i figure when i cast haste if im going to do the whole pug group its going to take 3 castings to get everyone covered....i usually dont bother to cast it more than once ever 3 or minutes....pay attention or bring haste pots.

Arnya
12-16-2009, 06:28 PM
/gather

but then again, I expect that works about as well as when the rogue tries

/stop

Pfft.

It's hard enough to educate people to use /LFH (and now /LFB) so others can see when they are AFK...

Kiralyn2000
12-17-2009, 09:26 AM
It's hard enough to educate people to use /LFH (and now /LFB) so others can see when they are AFK...

Huh. First time I've heard of that idea. Interesting use of an otherwise silly emote. :)

Lorien_the_First_One
12-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Slightly off topic, but as a cleric I sometimes find its hard to gather the group for group heals so, on my cleric, I call out, "gather for haste on <clerics name>" and usually the group runs right over. Sometimes even the confused caster runs over and casts haste lol