PDA

View Full Version : more low to mid and free game content

andweir
12-16-2009, 05:51 AM
I think the devs are doing a great job.But,a lot of us would like to see more free, low and mid level content added.The updates are usually for high lev toons and vip's. We understand the need to keep these players interested. But, we donate and play just as much as they do.We need things to keep us coming back too.
I'm not vip or vet bashing, i just believe we are just as important and deserve a little to keep us interested.We grind the same quests over and over with toons on all servers just like anyone else.After a while it gets old. Some of us can not afford to purchase anything right now.
I buy point packs as i can and it is still becoming a little boring grinding quests that drop junk loot and low xp.Please consider us in the next update...please.

Durion
12-16-2009, 05:59 AM
You have to look at the flip side of the coin too though. If they kept adding any level content for free, why would anyone buy content. Granted there would still be things that needed to be bought, but Turbine is in this to make money. The point of the model they introduced was for you to run out of the free content, then if you wished to keep playing you could use your TP to buy more packages. It's not the F2Pers that keep this game running, its the Premium and VIP's. Not bashing the F2Pers as I have nothing against them. but to survive the game needs revenue and people that play just for the free content aren't generating it. It does suck being tight on cash, I had to suspend my account for a few months while I was trying to get back on my feet after being laid off so I know where you're coming from as far as $$$ is concerned. I didn't get the F2P option during this period. :( But back to the point, the "free" content is just designed to give you alittle taste of the pie, you have to dole out cash for the whole thing.

andweir
12-16-2009, 06:04 AM
You have to look at the flip side of the coin too though. If they kept adding any level content for free, why would anyone buy content. Granted there would still be things that needed to be bought, but Turbine is in this to make money. The point of the model they introduced was for you to run out of the free content, then if you wished to keep playing you could use your TP to buy more packages. It's not the F2Pers that keep this game running, its the Premium and VIP's. Not bashing the F2Pers as I have nothing against them. but to survive the game needs revenue and people that play just for the free content aren't generating it. It does suck being tight on cash, I had to suspend my account for a few months while I was trying to get back on my feet after being laid off so I know where you're coming from as far as $$$ is concerned. I didn't get the F2P option during this period. :( But back to the point, the "free" content is just designed to give you alittle taste of the pie, you have to dole out cash for the whole thing.

***I DO buy..i guess u missed that? No one said add lots of free to the game.But, some is better than none.I'm a premium member. And, as i said, the devs are great, i and others just feel the extra 1 or 2 free adventures a year would make it less of a repetitive grind..maybe keep people like me who do toss money for tps interested so we will continue to pay...and maybe not leave for good.

cardmj1
12-16-2009, 06:06 AM
You have to look at the flip side of the coin too though. If they kept adding any level content for free, why would anyone buy content. Granted there would still be things that needed to be bought, but Turbine is in this to make money. The point of the model they introduced was for you to run out of the free content, then if you wished to keep playing you could use your TP to buy more packages. It's not the F2Pers that keep this game running, its the Premium and VIP's. Not bashing the F2Pers as I have nothing against them. but to survive the game needs revenue and people that play just for the free content aren't generating it. It does suck being tight on cash, I had to suspend my account for a few months while I was trying to get back on my feet after being laid off so I know where you're coming from as far as $$$ is concerned. I didn't get the F2P option during this period. :( But back to the point, the "free" content is just designed to give you alittle taste of the pie, you have to dole out cash or earn enough favor to earn TP for the whole thing.

fixed

Jayfunked
12-16-2009, 06:14 AM
I think the devs are doing a great job.But,a lot of us would like to see more free, low and mid level content added.The updates are usually for high lev toons and vip's. We understand the need to keep these players interested. But, we donate and play just as much as they do.We need things to keep us coming back too.
I'm not vip or vet bashing, i just believe we are just as important and deserve a little to keep us interested.We grind the same quests over and over with toons on all servers just like anyone else.After a while it gets old. Some of us can not afford to purchase anything right now.
I buy point packs as i can and it is still becoming a little boring grinding quests that drop junk loot and low xp.Please consider us in the next update...please.

I don't think there is a need for loads more low level free content other then a low level raid 5-8 to appear at some point.

We do need however variety in the level of packs released for the store and not just end game/epic and we saw that to be fair with the new marketplace quests (and free quests in the cerulean hills) only 3 months ago. I would expect a couple of packs lower then ten in the first third of next year plus probably a couple of free quests in the searing heights.

andweir
12-16-2009, 06:25 AM
I don't think there is a need for loads more low level free content other then a low level raid 5-8 to appear at some point.

We do need however variety in the level of packs released for the store and not just end game/epic and we saw that to be fair with the new marketplace quests (and free quests in the cerulean hills) only 3 months ago. I would expect a couple of packs lower then ten in the first third of next year plus probably a couple of free quests in the searing heights.

*** Again...my post never asked for "LOADS' of content.Plz read post carefuly before saying im wrong...jeez

antivenom
12-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Andwier:
Your post started with the words "I think"
His post started with the words "I don't think"
These are both opinions - posted on a suggestions forum.

At absolutely no point did he "say you were wrong"

You've made a post on a public forum stating your opinion, the other posters have stated theirs. Why are you taking it personally?

I agree with you BTW, a few new F2P options would be great, as well as P2P ones. As the game's only been in the F2P model for a couple of months, we have no way of knowing whether or not there will be any F2P updates in the near future. I'd like to see some increase in the number of F2P missions in the level 8-12 range personally (I went VIP one month ago after being premium since the game went F2P, but i have friends who play premium also and we're running out of content in that range, and yes, they've already brought a couple of adventure packs)

Salaman
12-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Not sure if they keep statistics on how often each mission is ran, or how many of each adventure pack they sell (probably more likely) but I think it'd be nice if they released one or two of the less popular P2P packs as free content down the line as they add more P2P modules to the game, mostly with the idea that the few who do enjoy those packs will now have folks to run it with regularly (since F2Ps probably won't be biased against the pack and have lack of better things to do regardless).

Shamurai
12-16-2009, 06:52 AM
ooh or here's an idea.. make new content that is regular price for F2P but say 50% to premium players, since they have already shown that they are willing to pay for content entice them to keep at it with big discounts for like the first 2 weeks of new content release... and then maybe a residual 25% discount on all other material (will stack with sales, but not with other insight bonuses) =D

andweir
12-16-2009, 07:00 AM
ooh or here's an idea.. make new content that is regular price for F2P but say 50% to premium players, since they have already shown that they are willing to pay for content entice them to keep at it with big discounts for like the first 2 weeks of new content release... and then maybe a residual 25% discount on all other material (will stack with sales, but not with other insight bonuses) =D

** great ideas

Jayfunked
12-16-2009, 07:11 AM
*** Again...my post never asked for "LOADS' of content.Plz read post carefuly before saying im wrong...jeez

In three months by your own admission you have grinded all the free to play quests to death on every server but you are only asking for one or two more quests to relieve this grind?

I can see exactly what your post asks for.

I also did not state you were wrong but instead added my own thoughts on the matter.

Please read posts carefully before blah blah

Kreaper
12-16-2009, 07:42 AM
The updates are usually for high lev toons and vip's. We understand the need to keep these players interested. But, we donate and play just as much as they do.

I have been playing 3 1/2 years. I paid $50 for the game and have been paying $15 a month since. That comes to about $650. (Except for a few months I took off because I was bored.) Have you played as much or "donated" as much?

I'm not vip or vet bashing, i just believe we are just as important and deserve a little to keep us interested.We grind the same quests over and over with toons on all servers just like anyone else.After a while it gets old. Some of us can not afford to purchase anything right now. I buy point packs as i can...

I can certainly understand not having money. I can also understand being bored with content. Yes, it DOES get old. WE PAID to grind the same quests over and over for a long time. The thing is, you don't HAVE to pay money while we pay $15 a month every month. That is guaranteed money from VIPs while F2P players may or may not spend a single penny. In fact, I would be willing to bet that most F2P players get more content by earning favor and not by paying for it. How does that make F2P as important as guaranteed money?

Just a bit of advice: Next time you ask for something for nothing among a group of people that pay good money for that something, try to not be so snippy and you might just get a little more compassion.

Durion
12-16-2009, 07:54 AM
That does remind me too, not "bashing" anyone or aiming this at the OP, just alittle food for thought. I remember paying my $16 a month and being capped at lvl 10 with only one other raid to run besides Tempst Spine (being VON when it was released). Talk about lack of content, I think there's more free content available now than we had total then. Don't fret it though, Turbine is VERY HARD to predict, they may even be lining something up exclusive for F2Pers or like you said, opening less popular content up for F2P access.

And this is pointed at the OP, I never meant you personally as a F2Per and not a Premium, I was stating that in general as a group as a whole. If you're premium, then you are contributing and have alittle more leeway to ask for change, but Turbine probabley has something in store for you guys, just wait it out. I stick to my original arguement though, keep the pie at a bite to restrict those who don't wish to contribute, do what they can to help those who will.

ironmaiden-br
12-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Man.. the point is if you wanna be a big boy you must have to be a VIP.

Theres a lot a free content that let you get used to the game and even raise a high level toon but:

1- If you wanna raise quick or with more options you must need to buy the packs of tangleroot , desert;necropolis tre barrel cove etc....

2- If you want decent equipment and loot you must do shoud /abbot / titan / rever /TOD etc....

And you sonner or later realize ( if you like the game) that is better and chipper be a VIP.

The idea of a FTP is to let people know the game and like the game by playing it, but as everybody know there's no fre lunch... if you realy wanna be part of the game, play the best and new content, have your toon well equiped you must be a VIP. :)

Thailand_Dan
12-16-2009, 08:12 AM
To the OP, the business model is still very new. Compared to the past 3 years (prior to DDO:EU launch), where content was released every 5, 6, or even 12 months, we have already seen 2 content additions in 3 months. This is a wonderful trend most likely made possible by the addition of Premium Members (and to some extent F2P, because they allow for more grouping, spurring interest).

I think the reason you are seeing a lot of high level content being released, lately, is because they have been working on it for a year already. Prior to F2P, the forums were begging for more high end content, so that was where the priority was. Once money started rolling in, they probably hired up some folks to put the finishing touches on the "almost finished" content and you have it: Update 1 & 2.

That being said, I believe you WILL see some mid-level and possibly lower level content at some point next year. I've got to believe Turbine has taken notice of the huge population of mid-level toons at this point. In addition, True Reincarnation requiring additional XP for each level, adding additional fuel for this argument.

However, I doubt you will see much if any F2P content. As the game stands now, there is more than enough content for someone trying the game to get a feel for it and experience it. After a month or so, a F2P player can decide if they want to buy packs (either through grinding TPs or buying points) or go VIP. The point of the F2P model is to give you the experience of the game (in hopes of getting you hooked) and then getting money out of you through VIP membership or through buying TPs. If you are bored after having played this many quest:

LEVEL 1
The Store House’s Secret - Korthos Village, Linus Weir, 6
Stopping the Sahuagin - Korthos Village, Gunnar Bauerson, 9
Sacrifices - Korthos Village, Viggie Stor, 9
Redemption - Korthos Village, Ursa Jernsvard, 9
Necromancer’s Doom - Korthos Village, Handsome Wilm, 6
Heyton’s Rest - Korthos Village, Kaja Bauerdatter, 6
The Collaborator - Korthos Village (Wavecrest Tavern), Sigmund Bauerson, 12
The Cannith Crystal - Korthos Village, Balder the Bold, 6
Total Favor: 63

LEVEL 2
Walk the Butcher’s Path - Harbor, Mistress Ahura, 12
The Sunken Sewer - Marketplace, Aurla Courson, 9
Stop Hazadill’s Shipment - Harbor (Wayward Lobster), Baudry Catamon, 6
Stealthy Repossession - Harbor (Wayward Lobster), Lesto Half-Price, 9
The Smuggler’s Warehouse - Harbor (Wayward Lobster), Fistpat the Fence, 9
Retrieve the Stolen Goods - Harbor (Wayward Lobster), Baudry Cartamon, 9
Recovering the Lost Tome - Harbor, Dalsamira Courdry, 9
Protect Baudry’s Interests - Harbor (Wayward Lobster), Baudry Cartamon, 6
Missing in Action - Marketplace, Ulcana Braddock, 9
Misery’s Peak - Korthos Village (Korthos Island), Amalgam, 12
The Miller’s Debt (Solo Only) - Harbor, Berrigan Enge, 2
The Kobold’s New Ringleader - Harbor, Guard Jung, 12
Information is Key - Harbor (Wayward Lobster), Shir Clowenks d'Phiarlan, 12
Garrison’s Missing Pack - Harbor, Garrison Felmar, 12
Durk’s Got a Secret - Harbor, Durk the Deranged, 12
Defend Haverdasher (Solo Only) - Harbor, Kalimnal d'Kundarak, 6
Bringing the Light - Harbor (Wayward Lobster), Brother Augustus, 6
Arachnophobia (Solo Only) - Harbor, Berne Jorn, 2
Total Favor: 150 (213)

LEVEL 3
Where There's Smoke... - Harbor (Cerulean Hills), Nash Braza, 9
The Swiped Signet - Marketplace (Phoenix Tavern), Grinwhite, 12
Redfang The Unruled - Marketplace, Basil Tallbarrow, 9
The Kobold’s Den: Clan Gnashtooth - Harbor (Waterworks), Guard Tember, 12
The Kobold’s Den: Rescuing Arlos - Harbor (Waterworks), Guard Tember, 12
Kobold Assault (Challenging) - Harbor, Guard Crichton, 9
Home Sweet Sewer (Solo Only) - Harbor, Scrag, 2
The Captives - Harbor, Pearl Drummling, 9
An Explosive Situation (Solo Only) - Harbor, Philver Sharpwood, 2
Ven’s Trail: Ven’s Fate - Harbor (Waterworks), , 9
Ven’s Trail: Clan Tunnelworm - Harbor (Waterworks), Guard Tember, 12
Total Favor: 97 (310)

LEVEL 4
Rest for the Restless - House Phiarlan (Bogwater Tavern), Lady Nepenthe, 9
Proof is in the Poison - Marketplace, Ruat Acalay, 15
Irestone Inlet - Harbor, Niles Cage, 12
Freshen the Air - Marketplace, Harven Gralak, 9
The Depths of Despair - House Deneith (Hammersmith Inn), Neville Stormhammer, 9
The Depths of Darkness - House Deneith (Hammersmith Inn), Giggs Elorreathi, 9
Total Favor: 72 (382)

LEVEL 5
The Lair of Summoning - House Kundarak (Ever Full Flagon), Lorridan Silvermantle, 9
The Depths of Doom - House Deneith (Hammersmith Inn), Keane d'Deneith, 9
The Depths of Discord - House Deneith (Hammersmith Inn), Scholes of Vedykar, 9
The Chamber of Insanity - House Kundarak (Ever Full Flagon), Kranig Stoneshield, 9
Archer Point Defense - Marketplace, Jasper Cruikshank, 9
Total Favor: 36 (418)

LEVEL 6
Taming the Flames - House Kundarak (Ever Full Flagon), Master Thorpe, 15
Ruined Halls - House Kundarak (Ever Full Flagon), Edvag Goodgold, 12
Redwillow’s Ruins - House Jorasco, Jandul d'Jorasco, 15
Purge the Heretics - House Phiarlan (Bogwater Tavern), Inquisitor Gnomon, 12
Mirra’s Sleepless Nights - House Jorasco, Mirra Parthilcar, 12
Gladewatch Outpost Defense - Marketplace, Loghan d'Deneith, 12
The Forgotten Caverns - House Kundarak (Ever Full Flagon), Thurd Steelhand, 12
Dead Predators - House Jorasco (Open Palm Inn), Acolyte Hestair, 12
Caged Trolls - House Phiarlan (Bogwater Tavern), Aratrix d'Phiarlan, 12
The Bounty Hunter - House Deneith (Anvilfire Inn), Kirstana of Fairhaven, 15
Total Favor: 129 (547)

LEVEL 7
The Tear of Dhakaan - House Phiarlan, Kamat Thaar, 21
The Pit - House Deneith, Vargus d'Deneith, 27
Gwylan’s Stand - House Phiarlan, Coraly d'Phiarlan, 18
The Graverobber - House Jorasco, Thaddeus d'Jorasco, 15
Total Favor: 81 (628)

LEVEL 8
The Xorian Cipher - House Jorasco, Gatekeeper Chullash, 21
Stromvauld’s Mine - House Deneith (Anvilfire Inn), Laird Stromvauld, 15
Stormcleave Outpost - House Deneith (Anvilfire Inn), Alciana d'Deneith, 18
The Paths of Madness - House Jorasco, Gatekeeper Chullash, 9
Haunted Library - House Jorasco (Drowning Sorrows Tavern), Menos Xuekaine, 15
Faithful Departed - House Phiarlan (Golden Wing Inn), Avanti Moonwillow, 12
Caverns of Korromar - House Kundarak, Ulfgar d'Kundarak, 15
Total Favor: 105 (733)

LEVEL 9
The Church and the Cult - House Phiarlan, Inquisitor Lightbringer, 15
Total Favor: 15 (748)

LEVEL 10
Tempest's Spine (Raid) - House Jorasco, The Chamberlain Cyrese Embree, 18
Sykros' Jewel - Ataraxia's Haven (reached via various Port Agents), Sykros, 15
Reclamation - Ataraxia's Haven (reached via various Port Agents), Leros Levithas, 15
Total Favor: 48 (796)

LEVEL 11
The Spawn of Whisperdoom - House Phiarlan, Eriephaus d'Phiarlan, 18
Made to Order - House Kundarak, Hazra d'Kundarak, 18
The Enemy Within - House Jorasco, Anabele d'Jorasco, 24
Dreams of Insanity - House Jorasco, Gatekeeper Trakash, 18
Total Favor: 78 (874)

LEVEL 12
Invaders! - Harbor, Guard Branson, 21
A Relic of Sovereign Past - House Kundarak (Temple of the Sovereign Host), Sir Kinze MacDunnam, 21
Total Favor: 42 (920 )

....the addition of 2 or 3 more won't keep you, anyway.

Thanks to robi3.0 for the list.

Cyr
12-16-2009, 09:37 AM
There is already a huge amount of content available at lower levels and mid levels compared to high levels. Buy some low and mid level adventure packs if you NEED more lowbie and midbie content. There is already more then a year's worth of development activity put into those modules. Enjoy them. More and more low level and mid level content will not help retain players as much as continuity of content. High level content has the least amount of content by a good margin yet the XP needed to level scales much faster then the XP/quest. This more then anything else leads to player fatigue. If you want to ask for more F2P content then the following things are good uses of developer time to keep people playing and convert them to paying customers (the real goal of course).

A) A low level raid (this can be made EPIC at the same time and designed with this goal in mind to get a two for one on design). This will introduce players at an earlier stage to what often is the most interesting content in DDO raids.

B) A continuity of F2P quests throughout the level ranges all the way to 20. This would be a longer term project with a dungeon here and there and some whole modules being released for F2P. There is a very good reason to do this business wise. The F2P crowd even if they do not become paying customers generate valuable word of mouth advertising that does attract paying customers. Allowing them to do some grindage to get to level 20 and experience a lot more of what the game has to offer will make their experience more positive. Note: I'm not talking about a huge amount of content here per level. Something like 2-3 quests per level post level 12 being F2P.

C) An in game character planner. This would prevent many of the doh! mistakes that happen with new players in DDO requiring re-rolls. This can cause people to leave or never become P2P customers. Another plus...it's not rocket science to code this.

D) Most of the new quests for F2P being part of quest chains. F2P is lacking this at the moment since all the good quest chains except waterworks were converted to packs. These chains tend to have the best story lines, loot, and cohesive feeling of any of the quests in game. As such F2P may be left with the impression DDO is more like WOW random kill X creatures then it really is except in DDO it's random house quests. Some quest chains are particularly strong for giving the feeling of actually traveling to the different places also making the world seem a little less cramped. Sorrowdusk/Co6 is a good example of this.

vVAnjilaVv
12-16-2009, 09:42 AM
F2P's have enough content as it is, if anything they should make higher level F2P content.

Honestly I don't even think they should do that, the game is not meant to be free, and creation resources should not be spent on material that is not going to help the game financially.

While I understand that u are actually a Premium player OP, and not a f2p player, I have seen it way to many times coming from a F2P's chat that they would not even bother playing this game if they had to spend any money.

Those people most certainly do not need nor deserve more free content. Grind favor or buy points.

TheKeg
12-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Not sure if they keep statistics on how often each mission is ran, or how many of each adventure pack they sell (probably more likely) but I think it'd be nice if they released one or two of the less popular P2P packs as free content down the line as they add more P2P modules to the game, mostly with the idea that the few who do enjoy those packs will now have folks to run it with regularly (since F2Ps probably won't be biased against the pack and have lack of better things to do regardless).

I was thinking this exact same thing. Why not replace the less popular packs with better ones and release the old ones to the FTP crowd. Adjust the end treasures if you want. It'll be more they can advertise as being in the FTP area. There does need to be more more 10-14 level stuff in FTP. I have several friends that love playin the game but keep rolling up new characters/ideas because when they reach the middle levels they start running out of stuff to do. Some of them are unable to pay for the game currently, but intend to when other priorities die down.

YakoSpiritFist
12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't mind some new adventures. However new races/classes are at the top of my wish list.

Daehawk
12-16-2009, 01:50 PM
What they could do is with every new content release add one free quest or something if need be. That would add even more content to the game, even if it is only one random quest in some house, while still having them work on something meaningful to others.

IE: Update 2 could of brought the Dreaming Dark pack and say a level 14 House quest for everyone. Giving the f2p a higher quest they could strive for and the content itself. Adding more favor to X House giving something new for people to farm and learn.

The idea of cycling out some of the less popular packs is an interesting idea though.

andweir
12-17-2009, 06:46 AM
you know guyz..i didnt wanna start a vip, f2p, prem, war of words..and if i misread any post i am sorry.I feel after reading some interviews and listening to the ddo streams that the model was created for all to be able to play...thats what they said. For any vip to look down on f2p or prems just cause they can is irritating at best Rude people suck.They exist all over and every thread i read has at least one.I apologize for the short comings of my actions and hope u can find it in ur heart to forgive me....so can we all be pals again.

Durion
12-26-2009, 02:33 AM
you know guyz..i didnt wanna start a vip, f2p, prem, war of words..and if i misread any post i am sorry.I feel after reading some interviews and listening to the ddo streams that the model was created for all to be able to play...thats what they said. For any vip to look down on f2p or prems just cause they can is irritating at best Rude people suck.They exist all over and every thread i read has at least one.I apologize for the short comings of my actions and hope u can find it in ur heart to forgive me....so can we all be pals again.

It has nothing to do with VIP, Premium, or F2P as a war. The one's that are getting upset are the one's that want to see this game survive. As stated in an earlier post, there are F2Pers out there that "won't play if they have to pay a dime." This game can't survive like this, it needs revenue to continue to breathe. The was I see it (meaning my personal opinion), anyone that is F2P has no right to ask for more. They have what they have, which is more content that I had as a paying customer in 2006. Do I have a problem with F2Pers, no I don't. But they have no leeway to ask for more. Premium players are contributing to the survival of the game, they do have that luxery, as, of course do VIP's. There are a select group of F2Pers and Premies that I run with and enjoy doing so, and I hope they finally decide they enjoy the game and move up. But I think adding more free content is a bad idea, because what happens when they get it? Well we got this, lets complain and get this, it'll be a neverending cycle. If you want to play F2P, thats fine, but accept where it puts you in the grand scheme of things. Enjoy playing for free, but don't expect to have it as easy as a paying customer.