PDA

View Full Version : Follow the Leader....er....I mean Healer

DakFrost
12-15-2009, 09:39 AM
I was in a few ugly pugs last night with my newly rolled Cleric and noticed a trend. There are a lot of players out there, especially squishy caster types, which enjoy the thrill of running ahead of the group and pulling all of the mob agro.

As you would guess, this results in their rather hasty deaths, which they then promptly blame on the Cleric.

I just wanted to remind all of you new players that if you run out of sight of the Cleric in your party he/she can not "healz" you. The Cleric is not your personal baby sitter, nor your mommy, not even your nanny that will follow you around. If you are having trouble staying alive I have a little piece of advice for you, stay close to the healer.

Magically your odds of staying alive increase!

If you are capable of healing yourself, then feel free to charge headlong through that fire trap to get at that mob of Kobolds on the other side. Just don’t expect me to come running to save you when your red bar plummets and you start typing “healz plz” frantically.

SINIBYTE
12-15-2009, 09:50 AM
I run dungeons the same with or without a cleric. If I happen to have one in a party, cool, if not... no worries. No handholding needed here. :)

DakFrost
12-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I run dungeons the same with or without a cleric. If I happen to have one in a party, cool, if not... no worries. No handholding needed here. :)

What?!? Self sufficient! Does that still exist?

Zereth501
12-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Sometimes, the caster has to run ahead. This is what I call the "shy tank" problem. It happens when the tanks, rogues and assorted melee warriors just won't lead the way, and stand still until someone else does. I once had a party who stood at the dungeon entrance for 5 minutes (after buffs were cast, nobody was AFK, and there was only one way we could go) until I got bored and went ahead. The party started following.

I have lost the count of the number of times my 2 minutes extended haste runs out before the party moves, despite saying "ready". Of course, the one time I got killed, they called me an idiot. And don't get me started on the fighter I met yesterday who kept hiding behind me.

By the way, I once told my cleric to stop healing me between fights because I wanted him to save his mana, and I always carry over an hundred cure potions. I'm not one of the players who need a babysitter. I'm not one of the players who insist on zerguing with complete newcomers in the party either. And if I die, I blame it on myself. Even if I die because of an ally's foolishness : I should have expected it.

Now, you are going to tell me that the suicidal wizards and sorcerers you are talking of faced none of these problems. My point is, if they did at some point, they might have picked bad habits.

Also, a cleric is less likely to notice that the tanks are not doing their job. Clerics draw little aggro, so they do not get attacked. A tank who is not doing its job does not get attacked either, so he needs less healing. Casters get attacked instead, and require more healing. End result : from the point of view of the cleric, a tank not doing its job appears a better player than the caster who is doing his does.

Sorry to hijack your rant with my own. Good intimitanks are so, so rare. And playing with bad tanks result in casters who do not rely on them.

moretoth
12-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Sometimes, the caster has to run ahead. This is what I call the "shy tank" problem. It happens when the tanks, rogues and assorted melee warriors just won't lead the way, and stand still until someone else does. I once had a party who stood at the dungeon entrance for 5 minutes (after buffs were cast, nobody was AFK, and there was only one way we could go) until I got bored and went ahead. The party started following.

I have lost the count of the number of times my 2 minutes extended haste runs out before the party moves, despite saying "ready". Of course, the one time I got killed, they called me an idiot. And don't get me started on the fighter I met yesterday who kept hiding behind me.

By the way, I once told my cleric to stop healing me between fights because I wanted him to save his mana, and I always carry over an hundred cure potions. I'm not one of the players who need a babysitter. I'm not one of the players who insist on zerguing with complete newcomers in the party either. And if I die, I blame it on myself. Even if I die because of an ally's foolishness : I should have expected it.

Now, you are going to tell me that the suicidal wizards and sorcerers you are talking of faced none of these problems. My point is, if they did at some point, they might have picked bad habits.

Also, a cleric is less likely to notice that the tanks are not doing their job. Clerics draw little aggro, so they do not get attacked. A tank who is not doing its job does not get attacked either, so he needs less healing. Casters get attacked instead, and require more healing. End result : from the point of view of the cleric, a tank not doing its job appears a better player than the caster who is doing his does.

Sorry to hijack your rant with my own. Good intimitanks are so, so rare. And playing with bad tanks result in casters who do not rely on them.

A good cleric knows exactly who is doing their job and who is not. A good cleric who rarely fights(battlecleric is generally in the mix and its harder to see it all there) sees the entire battle and knows whats going on.

Intimitanks are not the answer to everything though. There are other ways to draw aggro and casters are at fault just as much as they tend to (at lower levels when they are learning) think they need to attack everything all the time before aggro is obtained. Now to be fair the AI changes have made casters and clerics the main targets of aggro by mobs. I notice that if I do not Intimidate something there are times I can kill it and never get aggro off the healer who did not do 1 point of damage to that mob.

One reason a good intimitank is rare is many people do not enjoy that style, not to mention getting pugs to understand that intimitank means more than just spamming the intimidate, positioning and allowing the tank to actually gather mobs are important.