PDA

View Full Version : Melee Rogue Question

psychic_cowman
12-15-2009, 08:16 AM
My first post and I'm willing to admit I may be the most newb person ever. I have no DnD experience at all and have only ever played console RPGs (oblivion and most recently Dragon Age, for which I'm having the same problem). I wanted to know, is it viable to create a pure melee rogue? My problem is I hate bows, but don't like the idea of being weighed down by mountains of armor (I'm not sure if there are cons to wearing heavy armor though) and I'm very ocd when it comes to anything that's locked. Any advice on if it's a good idea? And what race would be best for this (I keep wanting to select a dwarf, cuz I like dwarves. I don't know why)?

Kralgnax
12-15-2009, 08:23 AM
My first post and I'm willing to admit I may be the most newb person ever. I have no DnD experience at all and have only ever played console RPGs (oblivion and most recently Dragon Age, for which I'm having the same problem). Welcome to DDO!
I wanted to know, is it viable to create a pure melee rogue? Yes! Try The Hired Blade (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1718372&postcount=11)or something like it.
My problem is I hate bows, but don't like the idea of being weighed down by mountains of armor (I'm not sure if there are cons to wearing heavy armor though) and I'm very ocd when it comes to anything that's locked. Any advice on if it's a good idea? Sure, why not?
And what race would be best for this (I keep wanting to select a dwarf, cuz I like dwarves. I don't know why)? The build shown is halfling, but dwarf is fine.

Have fun!

tihocan
12-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Yep, melee rogue definitely works.

psychic_cowman
12-15-2009, 09:07 AM
so far so good. I'm not hitting things as much as I want, but I'm sure some leveling will help that.

cupajoe
12-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Just thought I'd throw in my two coppers. I play a lot of rogues and have to say that I think they have a pretty high learning curve. I am not saying that you can't or shouldn't play a rogue. Just be aware that (IMHO) they are difficult to play well. I would suggest asking for help often and reading the forums (both of which it seems you are doing). Have fun!

EKKM
12-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Most rogues (good rogues anyway) are melee first and traps second.

I recommend taking the two weapon line ans at level 3 make sure you take wepaon finesse (I assume your dex is higher than your strength).

Remember that aggro is your enemy as your sneak attack only works when you dont have it. Let the dps/tank get aggro first then start swinging.

Also remeber that you dont get sneak attacks on certain mobs (mainly undead, golems and oozes) so your dps will drop noticably.

Lots of good guides and builds in the rogue forums.

Oh - there are very few ranged rogues and even fewer good ranged rogues. Melee TWF is the way to go.

wilfan
12-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I wanted to know, is it viable to create a pure melee rogue? My problem is I hate bowsThen you're in good company, as DDO also hates bows. And crossbows. And shurikens. Pretty much anything that you can throw on enemies and is not magic.

but don't like the idea of being weighed down by mountains of armor (I'm not sure if there are cons to wearing heavy armor though) and I'm very ocd when it comes to anything that's locked.
If your rogue wears armor of heavier class than light armor his Evasion feat (which he gets automatically at a high enough level) will stop working. It's an important feat as you take almost no damage from traps and most damage spells with it.
As for lockpicking, there are locked doors and chests that you can lockpick. They give extra loot and bonus experience points, but none that are necessary to complete quests. They will test your OCD on lower levels as there's quite a lot of them, but they become more rare later on.
Note that another thing a rogue does is disarm trap. Those traps are more important as they can easily one shot some characters (namely those not built to evade them) on high difficulty levels.

And what race would be best for this (I keep wanting to select a dwarf, cuz I like dwarves. I don't know why)?For powergames, there's only human (for STR based builds with Khopesh) and halfling (for DEX+Weapon Finesse builds). Dwarf is fine, though.