PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needing help.

JMimzy
12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi, I am looking for a good build for any type of dps. I am looking for high dps, but a fun class as well. Any suggestions?

Lorien_the_First_One
12-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi, I am looking for a good build for any type of dps. I am looking for high dps, but a fun class as well. Any suggestions?

Melee or caster?

If melee, just swing and hit or lots of special abilities?

vettkinn
12-14-2009, 11:55 PM

Greetings comrade, welcome to DDO. Looks like you're new, so it would be best to start with a melee fighter. You can either try Fighter, Paladin, or Barbarian. Get a greataxe or greatsword, swing it and kill things. It never fails. :D

Vanshilar
12-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Aranticus made a series of beginner builds just for you! And others like you of course:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=147492

(it's stickied at the top of the forum)

I personally like the barbarian one, I've been enjoying it a lot. Basically you whack at anything that moves, easy enough to do while you're learning how the game works. Barbarians have very high amounts of hit points so they're very survivable (until they encounter the first "command" spell), plus being a human barbarian (rather than a dwarf or warforged one which others will recommend) means you can take toughness early on and not delay your feat progression, which gives you even more hit points to play with.

The drawbacks are that you won't be able to do much about traps, heal the group, crowd control (unless you use intimidate a lot), etc., but those aspects of group dynamics generally I wouldn't recommend for a beginner anyhow. I mean everyone wants to be the quarterback but sometimes it's better to just start out among the offensive line until you figure out how the game works. So basically you lose some of the versatility that rogues (traps), rangers (heals), etc. have in addition to their DPS, instead you'll be pretty much a "pure" DPS sort of guy, but that's okay since every group will need some amount of DPS.