PDA

View Full Version : New RP Guild: Betrothal of Honor

madmartyr72
12-14-2009, 08:21 PM
...The taproom of the Flaming Flagon tavern was not its usual den of noise this evening. Besides the low murmur of its last remaining patrons of the night followed by the sound of the wind whistling around the corners of the building from outside, all was quiet. The sound of the main door creaking open brought stares as a cloud of blowing snow ushered into the entrance hall which caused the taprooms many torches anchored into wall sconces to flicker from the sudden assault of cold, late-winters chill. As the door shut and the blowing snow subsided, a lone, gaunt figure emerged from the entrance, covered from head to foot in thick snow encrusted furs with a hood drawn tightly. Draped over his shoulder, the gaunt figure clutched a rack of various animal pelts from which he began to dust the snow off before placing them upon the cloak rack. After a few moments of stomping the snow from his fur boots, the stranger proceeded to remove his gloves and take down his hood. Fine, delicate features played upon his face, with high cheekbones and a set of pointy ears. The strangers eyes glistened the color of copper as light reflected off of them and a long, shaggy mane of white hair lay gently upon his shoulders. By all right, the gaunt visitor was an elf, but the ebony skin pulled over his frame gave him for what he truly was...a Drow!

The dark elf's eyes met with nods from some of the other tavern patrons as he made his way across the taproom towards the bar where there stood a lone dwarf eyeing him, all the while busy drying a mug. Drow were rarely welcomed outside their subterranean homes, but this one seemed to be accepted...at least in the taproom of the Flaming Flagon! The burly dwarf stood motionless at the dark elf's approach, gleaming at him through a squinty eye.

"Well, at least ye wiped yer feet this time darky!" the dwarf proprietor bellowed as he placed the mug down upon the counter. The dark elf took no offense but instead gave a wry smile.

"Aye Mordox, tracking snow upon your floors once was lesson enough for me, my friend..." The drow's response was met with a low chuckle from the dwarf. "So what 'ave ye Arlfein? The usual? Or...ye ready to drink like a man yet an let good ole Mordox 'ere set ye up with a shot of red eye?" said the dwarf, a slight grin piercing his lips. Arlfein just smiled and nodded in response. "Not this time, my friend. I have business to attend to this eve. The usual will do nicely."

"Bah!" was all that came from Mordox as the dwarf began to uncork a bottle of Firewine. "One of these 'ere days yer gonna 'ave to let me teach ye how to drink darky!" The drow once again smiled. Arlfein did not doubt the sincerity of the dwarf's words.

"What kind of business ye 'ave goin on tonight, eh?" Mordox asked as he placed the glass of wine in front of the dark elf. As Arlfein reached for his glass, the dwarf's hand came down quick, grabbing his. "Ahem! Ye fergettin something darky?" Mordox asked as he peered at him through a squinty eye. The drow looked surprised. "Yes, of course my friend, I do apologize. Here..." Arlfein responded as he placed a few coins down upon the bar.

The dwarf quickly studied the coins and spoke in a gruff voice, "That's not enough dark elf!"

Arlfein once again looked surprised by the dwarf's response. "Well, perhaps, my friend, you wouldn't mind me paying you the rest on my next visit?"

Mordox paused for a quick moment and then responded. "Look darky, I don't mind carrying ye, but yer startin to put a kink in me back! I got children to feed ye know!" A look of confusion crossed the dark elf's finely chiseled face. "Children? But my friend, you HAVE no children..." The burly dwarf proprietor once again paused as he began to pack tobacco into a pipe. After a few long pulls from his pipe, the dwarf spoke up. "Well, not yet! But maybe one day! And what lass is gonna give ole Mordox 'ere a shot if he 'as naught but two coins to rub together, eh?" Both Arlfein and Mordox stood quiet for a few moments and then burst out in laughter. Such jesting was a very common occurrence at the Flaming Flagon...

/ooc Hello everyone,

I would like to announce the start of a brand new guild on Orien, Betrothal of Honor. BoH will be a heavy role-playing guild focused upon player interaction, grouping, and having a great time while doing it! BoH is looking for individuals to start the foundation of what may be Orien's first role-play guild. The guild is open to the first 20 players to help start. After which, future members will be required to apply once we have an established website to post upon. BoH is open to anyone with a desire to role-play, have fun, and be helpful to others. New and veteran players are welcomed. Since BoH is brand new with no website, I will outline what BoH is all about below; what you can expect of us and what we expect of you...

WHAT IS BETROTHAL OF HONOR?:
Betrothal of Honor (which simply means, committed to honor) is possibly the first true role-play guild on the new DDO server, Orien. Our goal is to interact with our fellow guild mates through role-playing, questing, general game related questions, and to have fun! A guild should feel like a virtual family and not just empty words on a screen and BoH will emphasize this credo always. We want our players to develop somewhat of a "kinship" with fellow member's overtime. We want to remember that whenever a member logs into the game, has a question, etc, etc, that they should be treated with respect. We have all been in those guilds before where thirty people would be online and not one "Hey so-and-so, how's it going?" or "So-and-so says to the guild, Does anyone know how to make imperfect dragonshards?" only to be met with no response whatsoever. Everyone should understand and accept that member's will be too busy from time to time or just not notice, but BoH member's will remember that on the other side of those words are real people. We want to set the standard...

HOW WILL BOH INTERACT WITH ONE ANOTHER?:
BoH first and foremost is a heavy rp based guild. If you have never role-played before but have a desire to learn, or even a veteran role-player, BoH is for you! IF YOU HAVE NO DESIRE TO ROLE-PLAY YOUR CHARACTER, WE ARE NOT THE GUILD FOR YOU! You don't have to be an actor or actress to role-play. Just a desire to look past pixels on a screen and in turn, allow your imagination to take hold. Role-playing is fun, interactive, and memorable. Cybering IS NOT role-playing and will not be tolerated!

BoH guild chat is for in-character (or IC for short) role-playing only. No ooc (short for out-of-character) chat is permitted in guild say (we have a private chat channel specifically for ooc chatting). In other words...what is said in guild chat is spoken as if by your character at all times. The guild say for BoH has a theme that allows its members to realistically interact with one another instead of the often weird "telepathy" many other rp guilds have adopted.

WHAT IS THE THEME?:
A little background on where our guild say role-playing occurs. Our guild theme and place of rp interaction is an old small but cozy two-roomed tavern in the Stormreach Harbor area called The Flaming Flagon. The Flaming Flagon is ran by a middle aged dwarf with one eye named Mordox Stonebeard. He's gruff, he's tuff, and don't take lip from no one! Our guild member's are welcomed here (as long as they don't upset the dwarf! =P), and frequent this tavern almost exclusively. The Flaming Flagon can be a little tough at times with fights and even the occasional fatality (Mordox use to be a woodworker and has a storeroom of hand-made pine caskets he sells for 80gp just incase, and has even been known to "quietly" dispose of the corpses for a fee. Where they end up? We don't wanna know! LOL!). Mordox has done some remodeling to the tavern lately, turning his backroom into a small 1on1 arena where patrons can book and bet on fights, or even, in his words, "Why crack the 'ead of the loud-mouthed drunken git next to ye fer free when ye can fatten yer purse fer it in me arena!" Alas, even Mordox realizes tempers won't always wait...

Member's of BoH, while role-playing in guild chat, are assumed to be visiting the Flaming Flagon. Always keep this in mind. The Flagon is just a tool; a basis for our role-play. It will continue to grow and evolve. Each member will contribute to the lifeblood of this establishment. Make it your own and use it. Everyone will have a different vision of what this places looks like for the sake of interacting with other member's. Just try an keep it consistent. If your character is a bard and you envision a small stage area in the taproom to perform, so be it! If your a barbarian that has had too much to drink and you have a great little cubby filled with nice comfy sacks of grain and flour near the storage room you like to pass out on, so be it! Share your visions with other member's and help bring this place to life. It's all about having fun!

WHAT DOES BOH EXPECT AND DEMAND FROM ITS MEMBERS?:
Most importantly, a bunch of like-minded players getting together to laugh and have a good time while playing this game. A sense of humor is a must! I can only imagine how comical some nights at the Flaming Flagon might get! =P It is assumed that our whole guild IC is brought together as friends out of common similarities. BOH is kind of a melting-pot of all types. All races are accepted. All personalities are accepted, however, keep in mind with the theme. BoH is committed to honor; i.e. we are a good-themed guild. That is not to say your character HAS to be good, or even completely sane, as long as it fits within our goals and reputation. If you want to role-play your character as some chaotic evil bloodthirsty half vampire/pirate, have at it. But, how would this character fit in society nevertheless our guild?

Working off of classic examples of not-so-nice character's from movies that could find a home in BoH and still be able to live within its goals would be like Richard B. Ridd*ck, Jack Sparrow, and Wolverine to name a few. Likewise, an overly good character may find difficulty fitting in BoH. Member's of BoH must by definition be tolerant of other's. If you write into your character's background that their family was raped and murdered by drow, chances are, you will not get along with drow in the guild lol! Be creative and be fair.

Due to the nature of role-playing itself, we ask that you keep a certain degree of maturity and be open-minded. Disputes and disagreements are a sometimes occurrence in role-playing. INSULTS, THREATS, AND JUST PLAIN RUDE BEHAVIOR WILL NOT BE TOLERATED! Offenders will be asked to leave the guild or will be removed. Therefore, we ask that all member's be at least 18 years of age. Membership is accepted by player's of VIP accounts as well as F2P, however, since a lot of game material is only available to paid subscribers, we prefer all our member's to have access to all material or at least plan to have in the near future.

BoH has a private chat channel just for ooc chat. Talk about whatever you like in this channel but please, keep chat to at least PG 13 or at most NR 17 :D Dropping f-bombs every other word won't be tolerated as well. Just be respectful.

BoH will eventually have a working website and/or a dedicated Ventrillo server.

We expect all our member's to reflect on our guild while dealing with other's outside it. Be courteous and try to be helpful whenever you can. Any member's actively involved in open arguments in any in game chat channels will be cautioned to stop. If you want to argue, do everyone a favor and take it to tells. We want our guild to grow and set standards. Each member is an ambassador of BoH.

BoH wants active member's. Until our guild get's on it's feet, no alts will be allowed in the guild. We understand that mistakes happen in building character's and rerolls are almost certain from time to time. Before you apply to BoH, please make sure you are applying with the character you want to play. If by chance, a member foresees a reroll, that member will be given a choice of removing their old character in place of their new one. One character per player in BoH until we are established or an exception has been made by the GM or Senior Guild Officer.

Promote role-playing. As stated before, BoH may be the first rp guild on Orien (If I am wrong on this, I was not aware and apologize to any other heavy to light rp guilds out there). If indeed BoH is the first rp guild, that makes us pioneers for what may be many more to follow. When talking in game ooc, please indicate to others that you belong to a role-play guild. As many veteran rpers already know, this is usually done by typing (( before an ooc response. That let's others reading your response know that you are flagged as a role-player and open to random role-play. For those that don't know this, it may raise a question which in turn, could help open the door on someone for the first time and create a future member of BoH. I myself, having role-played in MMO's for many years (EQ2 Antonia Bayle server, LotRO, as well as a 15 year veteran DM of PnP AD&D) have found that some of the funniest role-playing can occur through random encounters :)

As stated before, BoH is looking for the first twenty player's to help establish and grow with our guild. If everything you have read sounds like you, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to drop me a response or personal message (or even an in game email to Shifu) and I will get back to you.

Until then, an early Welcome to Betrothal of Honor, and as Mordox would say..."May ye blade be wet, and ye mug never dry!" =)

faidros
12-15-2009, 04:13 AM
I applaud your initiative, roleplay guilds are needed. I always seem to gravitate towards playing a dwarf with suboptimal drinking habits and bad temper, but that's just me.

Anyway, a helpful detail would be if you specified feasible timezones for guild membership. Since the european servers essentially seem to have died off and all the active players have rerolled on the american ones, you're likely to get interest from all over the world.

madmartyr72
12-15-2009, 09:49 AM
I applaud your initiative, roleplay guilds are needed. I always seem to gravitate towards playing a dwarf with suboptimal drinking habits and bad temper, but that's just me.

Anyway, a helpful detail would be if you specified feasible timezones for guild membership. Since the european servers essentially seem to have died off and all the active players have rerolled on the american ones, you're likely to get interest from all over the world.

Haha! I have always loved drunken dwarves! (I have played a few myself) :) I am sorry I left that important bit of info out of my post :( BoH is based in the US but open to anyone. Leadership is on EST (it is currently 10:45am at the time of this post). Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

MordantPlague
12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Astounding! I have been looking for something like this for quite some time to be honest. Most of my time is spent on the Orien server as well so if we could set up a meeting of some kind that would be most satisfactory.

IGN on Orien Server: Deleria

Ianarosh
12-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Hello, I am interested in joining my name in game is Ianarosh and I've been rping for the past... 7 years if I am not mistaken and I am used to roleplay in foruns and games (I'm new to D&D roleplaying though)

madmartyr72
12-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Hello everyone and thanks for your interest in BoH...

It's unfortunate but it looks like BoH will have to be put on hold for the time being due to apparent lack of interest for heavy role-playing guilds on Orien. It could be that the server is still just new or that there isn't much of a base of role-players on the server. I came over from Thelanis where role-playing is in abundance when Orien went live in hopes that I could help spark some interest, but as of right now, it just doesn't seem like it :(

Hopefully sometime in the near future, Orien will produce a steady base of those interested in the atmosphere, depth, and the fun that role-playing can add to an MMO. Until then, BoH will just have to remain on the backburner...

Sorry for the let-down guys but hopefully things will take off someday and you will be most welcome! Take care...

MordantPlague
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Perhaps the issue is not the lack of interest but more along the lines of....not all the RPer's on Orien read these forums. I know personally five different people that have a multitude of toons that would love to join an RP guild. It's all about getting BoH out here and seen. I would really hate to see this flop like this but if it's what you feel you must do then all the RPer's in Orien will have no choice but to go their separate ways....

madmartyr72
12-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Perhaps the issue is not the lack of interest but more along the lines of....not all the RPer's on Orien read these forums. I know personally five different people that have a multitude of toons that would love to join an RP guild. It's all about getting BoH out here and seen. I would really hate to see this flop like this but if it's what you feel you must do then all the RPer's in Orien will have no choice but to go their separate ways....

I hear ya and I too would hate to see this guild concept flop.

I have been in some of the top RP guilds on EQ2 (Antonia Bayle server for those familiar) and LotRO, and having alot of experience in the RP community I must say, there is alot of thought I have put into BoH. I would really like to see this all come together. I agree that advertising is key to starting a themed guild, but besides these forums and broadcasts in-game at various hours of the day and night, I'm not sure how else to reach the role-players to let them know. Suggestions I may have overlooked?

I had originally planned on twenty "core" member's to build the foundation of BoH; to help promote, recruit, and to get our name out there. I figured twenty active member's would build a nice base and also allow member's to have others to group with at various times. MordantPlague, you said you knew of a few other player's that would love to belong to/help start a RP guild? If so, would they be interested?

My whole vision on the concept of BoH is to bring together player's of like-mind and to introduce new player's to the fun and depth that role-playing can create.

I am open to any suggestions. I may have alot of role-playing experience but building guild's I am rather novice :D

Mavren
12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm in agreement with Mordant, I think you should getthis out there, I would love to join, and once it gets off the ground, I'd imagine we'd be known better. I don't check the forums everyday, And I know there are people who almost never use them, so some in-game time might help the guild.

Contact me on Mavren on Orien.

Good Luck getting this going. Sounds great. :D

madmartyr72
12-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks everyone for wanting to get the wheels turning! :)

I'm really excited about getting things into motion finally. Besides you all, there are a few more that have sparked interest in joining. In the next day or so, I'll be sending out ingame emails to you all for some more info (playtime schedules for invites, etc), and maybe we can get this started. I am on EST but I am on and off throughout the day and night. I'll also add those still interested to my friends list to make it easier to catch ya online.

Any questions or suggestions, feel free to message me here or ingame (Shifu).

MordantPlague
12-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Perhaps in leiu of using the forums we could arrange a...Meet and Greet at one of the more used taverns in Stormreach. Get people wondering 'Hey....what the hell are they doing' kind of thing. Spark curiosity instead of interest for how does one create interest? Through curiosity of course! I am about to log in to DDO now and it is currently 6:41 PM EST. If anyone interested in RPing is reading this within the next six hours please feel free to find me in game. I will most likely be on the Orien server on my Wizard.

Name in Game: Deleria

Cathimon
12-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Great initiative, I am interested. I think 20 members would be more than enough, to have a strong community with tight bonds, you need not to have that many.

MordantPlague
12-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Well Cath if you give me an in game name I can get you in with no problem what so ever. ;)

madmartyr72
12-25-2009, 10:47 AM
BoH now has a website! Please visit www.guildportal.com/guild/341509

-Thanks everyone

Mysterium
12-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Glad to see you guys sticking with it. How are things going for you so far?

Just a reminder, Orien has a chat channel for roleplayers to communicate out of character. To join, type /joinchannel Roleplay. I hope to see a few of you at Tavern Night this Friday.

madmartyr72
12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Glad to see you guys sticking with it. How are things going for you so far?

Just a reminder, Orien has a chat channel for roleplayers to communicate out of character. To join, type /joinchannel Roleplay. I hope to see a few of you at Tavern Night this Friday.

((Hello there Mysterium,

BoH has grown by leaps and bounds since we started. Already, we are fortunate enough to have some really talented rpers, and everyone seems to be having a good time! BoH started out with the intentions of bringing together the role-players on Orien, and we have a pretty good start.

I remember reading about the rp chat channel, but wasn't sure if it was actually used yet. I will post this info on our website now that I know. As far as Tavern Night, I would like more information. Is this a weekly rp event? If so, I am sure BoH would love to participate! It's our hopes that in the near future, BoH will be able to help with/promote/sponsor public rp events on Orien. Hopefully someday, we can unite enough rpers across Orien to have our own nights dedicated to server wide role-playing; kind of like how Thelanis has it's "Thelanis Thursdays" =) Keep in touch...

-Shifu of the White Lotus
Leader of Betrothal of Honor

Mysterium
12-31-2009, 01:39 AM
That's awesome. I was getting worried that there might not be enough organized interest for a dedicated RP guild on Orien, but you guys are proving it can be done. Keep it up.

The Roleplay channel doesn't get used much, but I try to monitor it and keep it alive.

The info for tavern night is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=222202

In the future, I may put together more plot oriented events, but I thought a basic tavern RP meet and greet might be better to get things rolling.

madmartyr72
12-31-2009, 02:02 AM
((That is great! I will be there (unless I am REALLY hungover from new years eve LOL!). Regardless, I will let BoH members know it is taking place this Friday night. Expect to see some BoH members present =) This is a good stepping stone for uniting/introducing new people to role-playing on Orien...

Hope to see ya then!

-Shifu of the White Lotus,
Leader of Betrothal of Honor