PDA

View Full Version : Is there a sensible tactic for Kobold Assault?

brian14
12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
So far with every party I had entered Kobold Assault it became a frenzied free-for-all within about 60 seconds, then character start dropping one by one. Sometimes initial wave of kobolds got defeated, but second wave would still get them, not the least because people would start wandering away from each other.

I wonder if the party should unlock the gate, then stay inside it? That way kobolds come from only one direction and the party remains together.

Hafeal
12-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Block at the gate. Depending on level, web.

If the parties you are in are being picked off one by one - stay together. Get out of line -of-site for the kobold throwers. I can't imagine this being tough on normal. On elite, the casters throw some nasty lightening bolts though - you might to have some resist pots handy as well as some remove curse pots.

Archguru
12-11-2009, 04:05 PM
There are two main strats I've seen. Firstly, stay in the fort, just on the inside edges of the doors, making sure that you keep the line of sight broken on the shamen so that they must come to you. Then you prioitize like normal: shamen, heavy melee, rogue, archer, trash melee. That can be a good strategy, but be aware that the kobalds will come from two different entrances: the main gate and the side door that is off to the right.

Secondly, you leave the fort, but go all the way out to the spawn points for the kobalds. This allows you to kill one group at a time, rather than the combined groups.

The worst groups I've been in are where everyone congregates outside the fort entrance. All the kobalds converge at this point, and the shamen tear you a new one with long range SR and LB. Once this happens, enitvitably some of your party members rush forward to kill the shamen and then you are too spread out to succeed.

ViolentEnd
12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
The tactic I use for this (and a few others) annoying quest is to skip it till I am higher level, then come back and do it solo for the favor.

Talon_Moonshadow
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Easiest, non-cheezy way I know is to run away from the fort. Make a stand, then pick off Kobolds one by one as they spawn.

Don't stay at the fort, that is where they all run to. And you get overwelmed easily.

But by staying way away from the fort, you can take on a few at a time and control the battle.

Angelus_dead
12-11-2009, 04:37 PM
The tactic I use for this (and a few others) annoying quest is to skip it till I am higher level, then come back and do it solo for the favor.
That is correct. Only do it at the listed level if you are concerned with filling in a checklist of beating each quest at listed level. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it.

It's not that it's hard: same-level characters can beat it pretty easily if they know what to do. The thing is that the XP and loot is poor. Last I checked, Kobold Assault produced under 1/3rd the XP per minute of typical Harbor quests.

Here's an alternative way to do it: If you need to go AFK for some chores at home, then go into Kobold Assault and use a Hound of Chaos cookie to get a monster to win the quest for you (enter Sneak mode while it works)

adamkatt
12-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes, Blade Barrier works quite well...

Angelus_dead
12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Yes, Blade Barrier works quite well...
No it doesn't. Blade Barrier lasts for under a minute, and you'd have to re-cast it many times throughout the quest. Plus many kobolds are throwers or shamans who won't decide to run through the blades on their own, and will instead stand back and toss.

If you're capable of casting Blade Barrier, you could also have just used Summon Monster V hunt down kobolds for you, which both lasts longer and needs less manual attention.

RangerOne
12-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Hitting them at the two spawn points works amazingly well, but takes some of the frenzied fun out of it.

Talon_Moonshadow
12-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Hitting them at the two spawn points works amazingly well, but takes some of the frenzied fun out of it.

I find a couple quests to be like this. I find an easy way of doing it, and it goes from fight for your life excitement to downright boring. :(

I remember one Kobold Assalut elite run with a few RL friends and my daughter's Rogue. She was very good at staying alive, but was fighting for her life forever.

it was extremely dificult for us, but we pulled through it.

Afterwards, I looked at my daughter and her jaw was wide open, panting for breath, and she was holding her hands out in front of her like they were numb! :)

That was fun. :D

adamkatt
12-12-2009, 09:17 PM
No it doesn't. Blade Barrier lasts for under a minute, and you'd have to re-cast it many times throughout the quest. Plus many kobolds are throwers or shamans who won't decide to run through the blades on their own, and will instead stand back and toss.

If you're capable of casting Blade Barrier, you could also have just used Summon Monster V hunt down kobolds for you, which both lasts longer and needs less manual attention.

Dont give them line of sight.... You sure you been playing since 06? ....

Caiburn
12-13-2009, 08:18 AM
... Here's an alternative way to do it: If you need to go AFK for some chores at home, then go into Kobold Assault and use a Hound of Chaos cookie to get a monster to win the quest for you (enter Sneak mode while it works)

Does not work on hard difficulty, sadly. Tried it out of boredom and one cookie did not even hold for 1/4 of the needed kobolds. May work on normal, though =)

tunabomber
12-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Whenever im helping someone do kobold assault I concentrate on taking the casters out first especially on Elite.it helps your group alot. also having someone charm them helps as well.so does using web like others have said. it really comes down to how the players use their chars as to what the best strategy. try and figure out a way that goes with your play style.

Shamurai
12-14-2009, 07:13 AM
On Normal almost anything works with a party of same lvl toons.. but Hard or Elite. I say Rush the first spawn point.. hold it till they stop spawning there then moved to the "big Rock" if yer cleric or caster type.. while the fighters run around do what fighters do.

UnderwearModel
12-14-2009, 08:38 AM
(Kobolds do spawn in the fort, ROGUES I believe)

The other strategy is you can go out the main gate. Take a left and another left, and go up into that area.

Pick them off. Slow but doable.

When I first started, I did the quest at level on Elite with other knowledgable players. But with Cannith being young and the F2P the chance of finding knowledgable players on a consistent basis is just about NULL.

I believe most vets skip the quest(I do) and go back and solo it. If I really care about it. But the time involved to do it is not worth it.

Since you seem to new a wanting to learn and play here is some quests to be aware of
Other bad low level quests for you to know about

If doing these quests at level, annoying

1. Proof is in the Poison - just annoying no matter the group or difficulty

2. Freshen the Air - Timer quest. ON elite with a bad group can be painful

3. Glade Watch Outpost ON elite with a bad group can be painful

Talon_Moonshadow
12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I guess I should add, like any other quest good CC spells work well.

Hypno can stop a whle lot of kobolds.

And Charm is my favorite in there actually. Let them fight themselves.

Yeah, ya gotta kill them, but trust me, there's planty to kill.

On another note, it never ceases to amaze me that experianced players avoid certain quests at lvl.

Is it really so important to get to the Shroud raid next Saturday?

Is actually playing inside a quest so painful for you guys?

You'll spend hours waiting for a cleric, but will zerge thropugh a quest in 5 min....
And complain about xp/min as some valuable comodity.

I find Kobold Assault one of the most fun quests.
I would've thought the zerger melee crowd would love a total slaughter fest like this.

Zenako
12-14-2009, 10:32 AM
On another note, it never ceases to amaze me that experianced players avoid certain quests at lvl.

Is it really so important to get to the Shroud raid next Saturday?

Is actually playing inside a quest so painful for you guys?

You'll spend hours waiting for a cleric, but will zerge thropugh a quest in 5 min....
And complain about xp/min as some valuable comodity.

I find Kobold Assault one of the most fun quests.
I would've thought the zerger melee crowd would love a total slaughter fest like this.

From what I see, those players are not in the game to just play it, but to "win" or craft the best toys. Their game goal is to get those trophys and the bragging rights to them.

The same type of people are ythe ones who only judge their satisfaction with a round of golf if they won the skins, not if they played well or had a good time, just some other metric. They could play greeat, shoot a superb score, but if they lost the bet, the round was considered wasted. I have played with them at times, and they can be fun players to play with, or miserable wastes of time almost soley depending on how their bets are doing.

Udinthrik
12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
most people with evasion can solo this quest by level 4...

but if your all a bunch of noobies, inside the gate you can just jump on the crate, then up on the house, then on the gate wall.

you only need 1 jump to do this. takes practice thought

Missing_Minds
12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Solo strategies are different from party strategies.

Formost as a party... learn to work together. Other wise, choose the few you want to remain standing.

Solo? Run from the fort and work from behind. Let them have the structure.

Party? Follow solo stratagy or, keep the fort. One person in the bottom doorway. The rest up top but NOT blocking the gate. Gate blocking is just an invitation for getting a lightingbolt skewer job. Instead stand off to the side, out of line of sight and wait for them to run in. At times you may have to run out to kill the shaman that isn't coming in, but he'll be rather close and you can kill them off in a few moments. IF they continue to run away from you, run back inside the fort, out of line of sight and wait.

This is not a timed quest, just a kill count quest. be patient and you'll do it.

PentegarnDarras
12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Hmm...
I am one of those who only returns to this later on for favor, but here ya go anyway.

Main Gate - CloudKill + Acid Fog + Disco Ball.
Side Gate - CloudKill + Acid Fog + Disco Ball.

Stand back and wait...firewall anything that doesn't come running at you.

Rinse, repeat.

Takes about 10 mins maybe?

brian14
12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Well, I did it on solo (ranger 5). Stayed well away from the fort, mostly in Move Silently mode, and took on kobolds in small groups. Took over an hour and used up about 20 Cure Lights and a couple other potions, but was never in serious danger. Won't do again any time soon.

RangerOne
12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Did it just last night on normal with my level 6 cleric. I hit them as they spawned with a summoned scorpion and a lot of soundburst. To top it off I discovered when it was over that I had forgotten to equip my new shield. The one with the ice guard which would have damaged them when they hit me. I had been so dreading doing this one with the cleric, even with a group, that I put it off. But by moving out to the spawn points I was able to control them quite nicely.

OGSlapnutz
01-28-2010, 11:18 PM
this is the easiest way that i've found to do this..

First, leave the fort and go all the way to the other side of the map..back where there is a barrior at the end of the road. run there as soon as you open the gates. don't dally, don't waste your time killing kobolds, just run all the way to the opposite side of the map across from the fort. Of course several kobolds will follow you, just kill the ones who followed ya. this is where your set up point will be.

have the spell flingers and artillary (bow men and crossbow men) set up near the barrior. have the fighters stand in front of them waiting to do attacks.

next, have your most armored fighter run back to the fort while everyone else waits there. the guy who runs back will run through the kobolds, hitting a few and then runing back to the barrior along the road. kobolds will give chase (anywhere from 8 to 15 at a time) and when they get within sight of the rest of the party, the party unleashes hell on them killing them all. rinse and repeat till you have killed them all and it's really quite easy. The kobolds don't come back there at all unless provoked, so just rest, and then have someone go provoke them and lead them back to their doom.

Ellyll
01-28-2010, 11:56 PM
this is the easiest way that i've found to do this..

First, leave the fort and go all the way to the other side of the map..back where there is a barrior at the end of the road. run there as soon as you open the gates. don't dally, don't waste your time killing kobolds, just run all the way to the opposite side of the map across from the fort. Of course several kobolds will follow you, just kill the ones who followed ya. this is where your set up point will be.

have the spell flingers and artillary (bow men and crossbow men) set up near the barrior. have the fighters stand in front of them waiting to do attacks.

next, have your most armored fighter run back to the fort while everyone else waits there. the guy who runs back will run through the kobolds, hitting a few and then runing back to the barrior along the road. kobolds will give chase (anywhere from 8 to 15 at a time) and when they get within sight of the rest of the party, the party unleashes hell on them killing them all. rinse and repeat till you have killed them all and it's really quite easy. The kobolds don't come back there at all unless provoked, so just rest, and then have someone go provoke them and lead them back to their doom.

This... We call it end of the road on my server. You go to the end of the road, like he said, kill the few that follow, and for the rest of the match you will actually have to hunt them down instead of the other way around, because when the spawn they assume you are in the fort and run there.

Also, there is a convenient tree back there large enough to LoS the shamans. Just make sure that if you are on elite you go to the rest shrine as a group when you need it, as there will be a few around there.

clanqui
01-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Clerics and souls can solo it pretty trivially at level because of nightshield and resist.

But it's still not worth it.