PDA

View Full Version : Paladin - Defender of Siberys Enhancement Suggestion

BurnerD
12-10-2009, 08:50 AM
I've been using the enhancement on my Pally and have a suggestion.

I understand the need to create a handicap (slower movement) while using this enhancement, but the 1/3 rate of movement seems pretty severe.

It may work better at 2/3 standard rate.

Another thought would be to be immune to any type of speed increase while you are in this stance (no striding, haste, etc...) instead of an actual reduction.

Memnir
12-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Doesn't the movement penalty lessen with KoS II and III?
I'm not sure since I haven't played one yet - but I thought that was how it worked.

But I have to admit, the moment penalty is a huge reason why I've not played this PrE yet. I don't want to play like I'm under constant Dungeon Alert: Harried just for enjoying the benefits of my PrE. Most PrE's are all bonuses (Tempest, for example) and it just seems silly to me that KoS has such a restrictive element attached. IMHO, it's not that good...

Judo
12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Doesn't the movement penalty lessen with KoS II and III?
I'm not sure since I haven't played one yet - but I thought that was how it worked.

But I have to admit, the moment penalty is a huge reason why I've not played this PrE yet. I don't want to play like I'm under constant Dungeon Alert: Harried just for enjoying the benefits of my PrE. Most PrE's are all bonuses (Tempest, for example) and it just seems silly to me that KoS has such a restrictive element attached. IMHO, it's not that good...

The movement penalty isn't so bad, considering IMO it should only really be used to tank raid bosses anyway.

William_the_Bat
12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I reincarnated my DoS pally to make a KotC TWF. I loved having 60 self buffed AC in power attack mode (and that's without a chattering ring or an insight shroud weapon) but I ran out of armor class boosts too fast because of turning defensive stance off and on so I could keep up with the party. It also sucked killing things so slowly once I ran out of smites.

And no, you don't use it just for bosses.. it increases your strength and con as well as your AC. It makes you both more survivable and increases your DPS, if only a little.

etelan
12-10-2009, 09:10 AM
The enhancement does speed up at higher tiers up to 50% reduction. Also, there are other passive bonuses for Defenders besides the stance. It does get rather annoying that you really can't use it to tank half of the bosses in the game because they move around too much. What's really fun is trying to use it in ToD part1 and after getting tossed around having to move at half speed through lava.

Steiner-Davion
12-10-2009, 09:18 AM
/agreed, the moment penalty really stinks.

and with other PrEs like Tempest, having no penalties, why should DoS? Do the Devs really want us to all play Tempest Rangers?

Memnir
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Do the Devs really want us to all play Tempest Rangers?I think that's been pretty obvious for a while now, sadly...

BurnerD
12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
What the movement rate does do is screw up the rythym of the game for the party. You have to turn the stance off to move anywhere. As someone else pointed out it's also pretty worthless against anything that hops around alot.

Personally I want an enhancement that makes my characer better in most or all circumstances (like tempest) rather than one that is only useful in certain situations. I guess I could understand the molasses like movement if it was a +10AC (without the strength bonus maybe) to create a real turtle, but even then you would proabably only use it for end fights.

I'm going to switch to Knight of the Chalice. Although it too is situational I think it applies to alot more of the end game content. Plus the rest of the party isn't wondering if you are permanently slowed :)