PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Cleric???

mws2970
12-06-2009, 07:18 AM
I was thinking about trying to multi-class a Ranger and a Cleric. I have 32 build points and Veteran status. I have a few questions.

1. Should I start as a Cleric or as a Ranger? I was thinking Ranger first, then Cleric.
2. At what level should I start to split them?

I used to play DnD on paper a long time ago, but am new to DDO, so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated for this noob!

Lorien_the_First_One
12-06-2009, 07:23 AM
The first question to ask is "why". I don't see the "why" here.

Cleric doesn't really add much to ranger. Rangers can aleady use cleric wands and already have some healing spells so I don't see what you gain by adding cleric levels to a ranger.

1 level of ranger would add weapon proficiencies to a melee cleric so it would have some value, I don't see the point in adding more level than that.

So what's your vision and your why?

Premier
12-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Only 1 lvl of Ranger, taken first, then all cleric. Go dwarf with max wisdom (level ups into wisdom), 16's in str and con, dump charisma. You'll be a battle-ready cleric, very hard to kill; awesome at all lvls, exceptionally skilled at solo play.

I won't recommend anything more than 1 ranger lvl. But if you have other ideas / visions I'd like to hear them.

mws2970
12-06-2009, 07:47 AM
So basically a Cleric with a small Ranger splash? Interesting. Any other suggestions on the build? With a dwarf, the additional Con would be nice too.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-06-2009, 07:49 AM
So basically a Cleric with a small Ranger splash? Interesting. Any other suggestions on the build? With a dwarf, the additional Con would be nice too.

What is it you are trying to achieve in your vision? The 1 ranger would help with a melee cleric, at a small cost to their ability as a cleric. Is that what you are trying for or are you trying to accomplish something else?

In addition to the con from dwarf, dwarf adds spellpoints to your cleric.

Talon_Moonshadow
12-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Should take Rgr first for skills.

I kinda like Rgr9/Clr11. But no one wants a part time cleric as their healer.

Other milestones:

rgr2, Rgr6, Rgr11.
Clr 7, Clr9.

Those are the easy ones

Premier
12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
What is it you are trying to achieve in your vision? The 1 ranger would help with a melee cleric, at a small cost to their ability as a cleric.

Your cleric abilities are barely effected by 1 Ranger:
- Spells granted 1 lvl after a pure cleric
- DC for spells is 1 less than pure cleric
- Loss of 1 lvl 9 spell
- Miss out on capstone

The cost is null, you can fulfill cleric duties flawlessly with 1 Ranger splash. Start splashing in extra Ranger lvls or another class and you'll start seeing a larger cost to cleric abilities.

If you want a melee capable cleric then 1 Ranger the rest cleric is your best option.

mws2970
12-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks Premier.....a cleric who is battle ready is what I was thinking.

Phidius
12-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I posted a 12 Cleric/6 Ranger/2 Monk in the cleric forums a while back - still trying to get my ranger to 20 so's I can start the project :D

You don't have to multi-class to make a cleric ready for battle, though.

shurakaibob
02-23-2010, 01:46 AM
I know this thread is a bit older but how about a Cleric 12/Ranger 6/ Rogue 2?
Would have nice feats (even with a not that high INT) and if i m right could do nice buffing, heal and go tempest route. But I m quite new here and perhaps i overlook some serious problem with such a build. Slightly different build with p2p contend i encountered ingame which seems to run very well (at least) solo.

QuantumFX
02-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Your cleric abilities are barely effected by 1 Ranger:
- Spells granted 1 lvl after a pure cleric
- DC for spells is 1 less than pure cleric
- Loss of 1 lvl 9 spell
- Miss out on capstone

The cost is null, you can fulfill cleric duties flawlessly with 1 Ranger splash. Start splashing in extra Ranger lvls or another class and you'll start seeing a larger cost to cleric abilities.

If you want a melee capable cleric then 1 Ranger the rest cleric is your best option.

Here’s what you’re missing:
If he wants a melee cleric he would gain more from a fighter or barbarian splash. All 3 classes give the melee weapon proficiencies. Fighter and Barb open up the options of more Hit Points. Fighter grants a free melee feat. Barbarian gives faster run speed and access to a Power Attack Enhancement.

OP. You should REALLY try to answer Lorien’s question. The ONLY reason to splash a single level of ranger is to pick up the Bow Strength feat.

shurakaibob
02-23-2010, 02:23 AM
If you answer to my post QuantumFX i must say that cleric12/ranger6/rogue2 is definatly not a small impact on cleric casting ability which i m quite aware of.
But to the question what i aim at with such a build, my answer would be an easy to play solo toon.

Benefits:

- You get alot of skills so perhaps max umd, and good points in trap related skills.
- Evasion
- Good buffs and healing (no good offense casting and fewer sp)
- Nice feats for Archery and 2 weapon fighting for "free"
- Possibility to go with tempest (at least i think so, not even 100% sure about requirements)

These are just in my opinion and i m not sure. Like i m said i m new so forgive me if i m wrong and would appreciate if i get corrected.
Problem perhaps how to set up attributes....
But that in mind it seems this build can solo quite well with the different roles it could act in (traps/healing/fight all in one)

FuzzyDuck81
02-23-2010, 08:12 AM
If you're taking 1 ranger level to be more melee capable, why not switch it to fighter instead (for the haste boost & toughness enhancements plus proficiencies), take a monk level too (for WIS added to AC) and get 2wf? with decent starting dex, all your level-ups in WIS & the ranger reincarnation selected feat (for barkskin) you'll have great AC and can go nuts with a pair of dwarven axes whenever you get bored with regular clerical work :)

Propane
02-23-2010, 08:25 AM
You could take lv 1 ranger (skill points and access to more weapons) - cleric until 12 (blade barrier and heal) - ranger at 13 (two weapon fighting – bow str and speed) - then cleric to 20.

Dwarf with axes would be good way to go :)
You can use two-handed axes or axe and shield until ranger lv 13, then go two – weapon.
There are lot of good hand axes out there for your off hand.
Take the +2 to hit with axes – ( I am not sure the + to damage is worth the skill points)

Lots of HP, some meele dps, good spell pool and DC,s

I would starting with a 16 in WIS and CON – maybe 10 Dex, dump CHR…
LV ups in WIS

ghettoGenius
02-23-2010, 08:27 AM
I kinda like Rgr9/Clr11. But no one wants a part time cleric as their healer.

I thought this was a logical split as well, but I'm thinking it would be a very late bloomer and could have trouble with end game content on any setting other than casual.

Two lvls of ranger for twf/rapid shot would be a fun char to play, but without zen archery and cleric PrEs I like it less and less.