PDA

View Full Version : How useful is Neutralize Poison potion?

brian14
12-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I went into Redfang quest in solo mode. By the time I got to the bottom of the shaft I already had CON damage -- and died in a blaze of green beams as I tried to eat a summoning cookie.

I have a Neutralize Poison potion. Does it restore CON damage, and would it prevent/lower the massive damage I suffered in that room? Basically, just how useful is Neutralize Poison potion? Or is Redfang Quest just too tough for a Ranger 3?

I already drank one in Spider Room of Gnashtooth Clan quest, but that may have been a waste. Or maybe not, as I lost about 20 hp there anyway.

rimble
12-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Poison works thusly:

1) Poison is applied to you (by an attack, a spell, whatever). Nothing you can do about it, you got it. It'll show up on your buff bar.

2) You make an initial poison save. If you fail, you take some sort of ability damage depending on the poison.

3) After a minute, regardless if you succeeded on the initial save or not, you make another save, and if you fail that too you take even more damage. Then the poison goes away.

Drinking a Remove Poison potion before #1 will prevent it from even happening. You CAN'T be poisoned! I forget how long the potions last...a few minutes, though. So just keep an eye on it and keep drinking 'em proactively.

Drinking a Remove Poison potion after #2 will at least prevent you from having to make the second save in step #3. It will remove the poison from you, and also give you that few minutes of immunity again.

Lesser Restoration potions can be used to restore your lost ability scores. Sometimes takes a few potions to top back up, depending on the severity of the damage.

And finally, somewhat related, Troglodyte Stench is a Poison affect, Neutralize Poison potions are good for when around Trogs too.

Racalin
12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Hiya

Rimble has it pretty well down. Once you are poisoned takeing the neutrilize poison after will only help you from then on.

I think is about 5 minutes of protection, once the potion/clickie is taken/activated.

Impaqt
12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
You can just go buy them in the House J Potion Shop as well. They arent rare. Use em whenever you are facing many spiders or poison traps. (Like redfang)

brian14
12-03-2009, 01:37 PM
"Not rare" -- or "not expensive", -- is a relative term. I bought these two Neutralize Poison potions (at 900 gp each), and both times it just about cleaned me out. I am still smashing barrels for Healing potions, after all.

Mockduck
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Neutralize Poison potions are really good when dealing with Cloudkills as well.

tfangel
12-03-2009, 02:33 PM
You can find pretty easily "proof against poison" items as well. I keep one on most of the time, and it makes poison like it's not even there. Especially if i know there is a quest with a lot of poison traps or poison monsters or cloudkill (this is nice in some quests, just makes it harder to hit) i rarely take it off. I think i found my most recent one around the redfang quest level or so, and i'm pretty sure they will be some in the brokers if you keep an eye out for them.

The potions are great, but if you want a more permanent solution, look for the rings (or other items).

gfunk
12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Once you have enough plat, I would keep a stack off 100 poison pots on any character at all times. By the time you get a little higher level, that shouldn't be a serious expense for you. Slightly off topic, but most of my melee characters stock 100 of each:

-CSW pots
-lesser restoration pots (sometimes you can find a clickie in a vendor)
-curse removal pots
-poison neutralization (or find a clickie, should be not hard to find in vendor)
-fear removal
-heroism (at low levels, or until you can afford a planar gird)
-haste (nice to collect clickies of these)
-barkskin (for non ranger melee)
-resist 20 pots (for non caster melee, in vendor at "the twelve" only)

All these pots are available at various vendors around town (none of them are rare), and they all come in handy in many places.
not that you always need 100 of each necessarily (some go faster than others), but its a good round number.

PentegarnDarras
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Once you have enough plat, I would keep a stack off 100 poison pots on any character at all times. By the time you get a little higher level, that shouldn't be a serious expense for you. Slightly off topic, but most of my melee characters stock 100 of each:

-CSW pots
-lesser restoration pots (sometimes you can find a clickie in a vendor)
-curse removal pots
-poison neutralization (or find a clickie, should be not hard to find in vendor)
-fear removal
-heroism (at low levels, or until you can afford a planar gird)
-haste (nice to collect clickies of these)
-barkskin (for non ranger melee)
-resist 20 pots (for non caster melee, in vendor at "the twelve" only)

All these pots are available at various vendors around town (none of them are rare), and they all come in handy in many places.
not that you always need 100 of each necessarily (some go faster than others), but its a good round number.

No potion of remove blindness?

brian14
12-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Speaking of poison... my ranger reached level 4, and first thing I did was tackle Redfang quest. What a nightmare! Not just because I spent five Neutralize Poison and a whole bunch of cakes, but also finding all the levers took forever. Loot was worth far less than the resources I spent -- I am not doing it again any time soon. And after killing Redfang I never looked for a chest! Picked up Redfang's silk glands and a collectible behind some boxes, and thought that was it. Now I feel like an idiot.

BTW, is Haverdasher a VIP quest? I can see Kalimnal d'Kundarak icon on the map, but when I get there I cannot see him, and Haverdasher entrance lacks the swirling yellow symbol.

Dex
12-16-2009, 01:23 PM
best thing is to get a neutralize poison clickie, they are on the vendors in the marketplace frequently. 1 click gives you seven minutes of protection, so hit it when you first get in. will save you $$$ in the long run, especially once you get one with 3 or 5 charges.

Always carry lessor resto pots, but only use them when you are really stuck. I don't do a clickie for those as there are times when you will need more than 3 or 5, and times when you wont need them at all.

Other good clickies to have (like there is really a bad one):
expeditious retreat
feather fall and waterbreathing if you dont have a static item
remove paralysis
rage/divine power if you are not a pure bbn/fig-pal-rngr
grease (for your hyperactive party members, muahahaha)

of course there are uber clickies in the game like the ring of the ancestors, but how many of us are ever going to see them.

Good luck,
Dex

brian14
12-17-2009, 07:47 AM
best thing is to get a neutralize poison clickie, they are on the vendors in the marketplace frequently. 1 click gives you seven minutes of protection, so hit it when you first get in. will save you $$$ in the long run, especially once you get one with 3 or 5 charges.
What is "clickie"? Is it a general term for items which provide a certain magical effect on limited basis? Like 3/day Protection From Evil gloves and such?

Kahath
12-17-2009, 02:19 PM
What is "clickie"? Is it a general term for items which provide a certain magical effect on limited basis? Like 3/day Protection From Evil gloves and such?

Yes. It's good to have clickies of everything, as they recharge between shrines.