PDA

View Full Version : Bard/Sorc - can ignore arcane failure?

Uskathoth
11-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Can a bard1/sorc19 wear light armor and not have any spell failure chance? I know in PnP it won't work but when I asked in game today I received mixed answers. I know a lot of things aren't the same in DDO as in PnP so I'd like to hear if anyone has actually tried it.

Also, if it does work, would it be helpful at high-level or is everything but UBER AC ignored at that point? The UMD and healing options might be worth it anyways, regardless of whether the armor works.

Tanka
11-28-2009, 10:23 PM
It'll work for your one Bard spell, but none of your Sorc spells.

Gadget2775
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Bard no. Selecting a race with the Arcane Fluidity and the right armor to go with it yes. However, you really need to plan for it if you're going to make an AC spell caster. This thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=216260) should help fill in some blanks.

Calebro
11-30-2009, 03:52 PM
It'll work for your one Bard spell, but none of your Sorc spells.

Yes, that's the way that it *should* work.
No, that's not the way it *really* works (unless they've fixed it).

I was curious about the actual game mechanics in action as well, so I tried it for gits and shiggles.
In light armor, I suffered no spell failure for any 1st level spells at all, most namely Shield, which is not on the Bard spell list. Thinking it may have been a coding bug regarding all *1st level* arcane spells (as I had 1st level Bard spells) I leveled the toon to 5th (1 bard / 4 sorc) allowing for 2nd level arcane spells for Sorc but not Bard.
Result: Still no arcane spell failure in light armor.
Swapped spells as an experiment: I don't recall the exact 2nd lvl spells I tested, but 1 was on the Bard spell list and 1 was not. Both worked just fine with no spell failure.

I then scrapped the toon as I didn't really enjoy it. A straight caster wasn't to my liking. But unless they've fixed that particular bug, it does actually work.

*edit*
But if that is your kind of toon, give it a shot and see if they've fixed it. Casting in armor, allowing for no-fail cure wand usage, UMD max ranks doubled, double dipping Cha for bonus spell points.... It has it's merits, as well as it's setbacks. In a group I was in with another Sorc, both casting often, he ran out of SP *long* before I did.

*edit 2*
But again, this was at low levels. Not really sure how big the SP discrepancy would be at higher levels, or if the straight Sorc would overtake the splash eventually with +xSP items being worth more as pure.

Gadget2775
12-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd be very careful about a build like that. At a bare minimum it's a bad bug that could be fixed at any time (ruining a build)...Worst case scenario they list it as an exploit and do bad things to you. (We're talking Brady Bunch Marathons bad ;))

Vass654
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Currently running a 1 Bard/13 Sorc on Thelanis and it seems to be working just swimmingly.

There is no Arcane Spell Failure chance with Light armor, I don't see it as a bug or exploit since nothing says it is ONLY Bard Arcane spells that should not suffer from the failure, just says they suffer no ASF in Light armor.

As for the extra mana, I lose maybe 10 SP from a Wizardry VI item because of the level of Bard, which has been slowly shrinking, used to be a bit more from my Power X item (Was about 14 or so from that.) I figure by level 20 I'll be losing maybe.. 2-4 SP in total from that, which is a hell of a trade off.

Currently sitting at 1847 SP with Wizardry VI, 29 Cha, and Dragonblood III enhancement, which seems to be not too shabby at level 15 total.

The UMD (So many choices open to me for gear..) is lovely, the ability to self heal, as well as the bard song and +10% to my healing spells from the Bard Heal enhancement thingy is really rather lovely, same with no UMD check on Cure wands (Save for Cure Minor but thats easy). I can pinch heal when needed which has saved me and my group more then a few times.

Also, with Shield and Haste, +4 Mith chain with +6 dex, I'm about 34 AC... Not too high, but doesn't seem bad for a caster, especially when I really didn't know what I was doing in starting this build.