PDA

View Full Version : What's the DC to dismiss a fleshrender/mephit of risia/fernia/lammania?

asphodeli
11-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure if this is supposed to be correct, but a Lvl 8 Cleric's Dismissal Will save of 26 is unable to dismiss a fleshrender/mephit in Hold for Reinforcements (Lvl 10 adventure), even after bypassing the SR of a fleshrender - mephits are not a problem but they seem to always make the save as well! Is this spell gimped, or should I just Holy Smite an outsider?

Kaervas
11-28-2009, 08:10 PM
You need to deduct the HD of the monster you are dismissing from the listed DC on the spell tooltip, which is the same as a spell of that level plus your caster level.

So you are at a slight disadvantage being under the level of the quest, you'll be facing higher level opponents and taking a double-whammy to your Dismissal/Banishment DCs.
You get less bonus added on from caster level, and then the higher level of the mob in relation to you reduces that amount further still.

On the flip side when you start over-leveling the targets you can eliminate them in droves (with Banishment, the aoe version).

asphodeli
11-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Ah, yes. Forgot to deduct the HD. Now this is crazy. A wizard's suggestion/charm monster can control a fleshrender but not a cleric's dismissal at the same level?

Kaervas
11-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Disclaimer: Speculation

Maybe the guy considered himself an Enchanter and had SF/GSF/+1 item and a slightly higher primary casting stat.
Couple that with the lowered DC on your dismissals, and his charm monster spell may be having a significant 6-ish DC advantage.

tihocan
11-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Yep dismissal will typically fail to land on anything with high HD, due to the specific kind of save for this spell.

Impaqt
11-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Your L8 cleric thats Splashed with 7 Levels of Wizard?

In addition to your character being underlevel for the quest your WIsdom is quite low for a l8 Cleric...

asphodeli
11-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Yes its a kinda messed toon atm, the stats and skills are splashed all over the place, being my first toon. :( However, what I find strange is that even though using the Wiz spell Suggestion/Charm Monster can work on a fleshrender (or maybe even PK it) in Threnal on Normal difficulty, the Cleric spell Dismissal is much harder to dismiss the fleshrender.

tihocan
11-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Yes its a kinda messed toon atm, the stats and skills are splashed all over the place, being my first toon. :( However, what I find strange is that even though using the Wiz spell Suggestion/Charm Monster can work on a fleshrender (or maybe even PK it) in Threnal on Normal difficulty, the Cleric spell Dismissal is much harder to dismiss the fleshrender.
And it's not strangte since the DCs are not computed in the same way.