PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Tempest Build

huki4101
11-27-2009, 04:54 PM
So I've decided to go with a dwarf Tempest ranger build, but I have a couple questions.

Here's how I'm distributing my skills:

16 Str
14 Dex
14 Con
12 Int
12 Wis
6 Cha

Should I take 2 from Int and put them into Con? What else should I tweak?

Next, should I take Oversized TWF at level 3, or wait till level 9 but be able to take Tempest I at level 6? (Basically am I really going to be doing bad with two Dwarven Axes without OTWF?)

And what about skills? I'm basically levelling up Jump, Tumble, Balance, Move Silently, Hide, Spot, and Search. Should I take points out of Search and put them into UMD instead? I plan to go pure ranger, so I'm not sure if 10 UMD at level 20 will make a difference with anything...

If I do go Search, what level should I get it to?

And what about Concentration? Do I need this one? I figure it shouldn't be necessary since I'll buff/heal before and after fights..

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps and/or gives advice!

Edit: Forgot to say, what alignment should I go with? As in, which one gets me the best equipment, etc.

Quintun
11-27-2009, 05:57 PM
So I've decided to go with a dwarf Tempest ranger build, but I have a couple questions.

Here's how I'm distributing my skills:

16 Str
14 Dex
14 Con
12 Int
12 Wis
6 Cha

Should I take 2 from Int and put them into Con? What else should I tweak?

Next, should I take Oversized TWF at level 3, or wait till level 9 but be able to take Tempest I at level 6? (Basically am I really going to be doing bad with two Dwarven Axes without OTWF?)

And what about skills? I'm basically levelling up Jump, Tumble, Balance, Move Silently, Hide, Spot, and Search. Should I take points out of Search and put them into UMD instead? I plan to go pure ranger, so I'm not sure if 10 UMD at level 20 will make a difference with anything...

If I do go Search, what level should I get it to?

And what about Concentration? Do I need this one? I figure it shouldn't be necessary since I'll buff/heal before and after fights..

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps and/or gives advice!

Edit: Forgot to say, what alignment should I go with? As in, which one gets me the best equipment, etc.

Avoid the 2 Dwarven axes until later. AT lower levels keep a light offhand weapon to avoid the penalty and get tempest at 6. Once you get OTWF later go with the two dwarvens.

Xephyrath
11-27-2009, 06:22 PM
no need for search unless you solo as a DPSer the arcane casters and rogues will take care of all that.

Concentrateion is unnecessary for you as you'll mostly be self buffing before fights.

If you want UMD don't get less than 20, you could drop move silently and hide as well, considering it wont be nessecary, again if you don't plan on soloing.

as for the OTWF, get tempest as soon as you can, use a light weapon in your off hand until then...rapiers are nice I hear, though I'd never use them myself.

You could take 1 point from dex and the two from int, up your wis one and con twice, the reason for this is you only need dex for dodge as the TWF is free, and you should have enough skill points to get your 1 tumble, balance 10+ and you'll only need +1 wis from any source once you get 4th level spells, you get a pretty good reflex anyways and if you plan to use anything more than light armor(medium perhaps) you'll not need more than a +3 dex bonus which is really easy...and if you only use light armor(mithril breastplate), you'll only need +5, which is fairly easy as well with a +6 item and self buff.

ghettoGenius
11-27-2009, 06:48 PM
as for the OTWF, get tempest as soon as you can, use a light weapon in your off hand until then...rapiers are nice I hear, though I'd never use them myself.

Rapiers are finessable but not considered light in terms of TWF so would not make a good interim offhand weapon for you.

Xephyrath
11-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Rapiers are finessable but not considered light in terms of TWF so would not make a good interim offhand weapon for you.

hmm, it would be weird that they do not apply as light weapons in all circumstances.

sly_1
11-27-2009, 07:20 PM
unless ddo handles rapiers in some weird way, they should work as follows:

- finnesable
- medium sized weapon

thus, if you plan to dual wield them, you must have OTWF. weapon finnese will grant dex bonus tto ab on both weapons but without OTWF you have large ab penalties from dual wielding 2 medium sized weapons.

This is how it is supposed to be in 3.x dnd. just because they are finnesable doesn't mean they are small.

ReaperAlexEU
11-27-2009, 08:15 PM
as a dorf, get a hand axe for the off hand, you wont be using 2 dorf axes till lvl12 (imp crit slash at lvl9 is far better than OTWF). you will probably pick up a few axe enhancements along the way which will apply to a hand axe as well as the dorf axe in your main hand.

more con is always nice, especially with the cheap buy for dorfs. int and wis don't need to be too high. rangers get plenty of skills to cover the basics. items count towards the wis you need to cast spells. it wouldnt be too hard to start with 10 wis and grab a +1 wis item by lvl4. the hardest part is getting a +6 stat item on a slot you want it, getting any old +6 stat item is fairly easy.

as a pure ranger you can't max UMD out, some still take it to bypass alignment restrictions on items, but it wont give you access to many spells.

for alignment take good, that gives you access to pure good weapons without needing UMD. pure good weapons do a d6 dmg to any non-good mob, ie almost every mob in the game. its a very versatile damage type and can come on special weapons like paralysers.

speaking of paralysers try to grab one when your cash gets high enough, also pair it with a curse spewer in the off hand. when a mob is paralysed and cursed leave it and move onto the next. if a mob saves on para one or two taps will para them again. this lets you paralyse quite a few mobs at a time to help your team avoid a ton of damage. 2 paras will para the mobs faster, but will cost a lot more and they wont stay paralysed for as long. i prefer the para+curse combo as the mobs find it harder to break free.

for law vs chaos, lawful gives you access to the chaos guard braciers, a standard piece of kit for any toon aiming for high ac. might be worth it in case you fancy grinding for all the ac gear later on.

for skills you can cut them down to Jump, Balance, Move Silently, Hide,and Spot, invest 1 full rank in tumble then leave it. for search you can get a clicky of detect secret doors later on in your career. stealth is quite nice, but not a must have. jump and balance help a lot in combat and moving about the quest. spot is a nice to have too, good for sticking a hidden mob with a manyshot volley before the fight starts. tumble only needs 1 rank to be unlocked, after that your high dex will compensate for the armour you wear. ninja tumbles are very cool, but more hit points is better so i'd go for more con over int instead of maxing tumble.

tihocan
11-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes I'd drop Int to boost Con to 16.

lord_of_rage
11-27-2009, 09:45 PM
no need for search unless you solo as a DPSer the arcane casters and rogues will take care of all that.

Concentrateion is unnecessary for you as you'll mostly be self buffing before fights.

If you want UMD don't get less than 20, you could drop move silently and hide as well, considering it wont be nessecary, again if you don't plan on soloing.

You could take 1 point from dex and the two from int, up your wis one and con twice, the reason for this is you only need dex for dodge as the TWF is free, and you should have enough skill points to get your 1 tumble, balance 10+ and you'll only need +1 wis from any source once you get 4th level spells, you get a pretty good reflex anyways and if you plan to use anything more than light armor(medium perhaps) you'll not need more than a +3 dex bonus which is really easy...and if you only use light armor(mithril breastplate), you'll only need +5, which is fairly easy as well with a +6 item and self buff.

You dont need OTWF to dual wield Dwarven axes even at low lvl. With the pathfinder set and the insight googles you will be fine. Once you get rams might your to hit increases as does your dmg. You also have the racial enhancments for da's. If you have the dwarven axes use them. It wont be an issue. Also take imp crit slash at lvl9. Dont worry about OTWF until 15 or 18 for tempest3. As for stats drop 2 points from int and stick them in con. You dont need the skill points that much.

huki4101
11-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Wow, thanks for all the help guys! I've received loads of great information in this topic.

One last thing I'm not sure of is if I should go Chaotic Good or Lawful Good.

Thanks again for all the aid!