PDA

View Full Version : Monk...Worth it?

Failedlegend
11-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey I'm thinking of buying Monk because I want to try it out but I'm wondering if it's worth it because well....I've never played and even played with someone using a Monk (PnP or DDO) so I have no idea what they do.

I looked at them on the compendium but it wasn't very helpful. From the compedium I got is he's (or she as all explanations use she) an unarmed (or Q-Staff/Kama's) fighter with wisdom based special abilities but that doesn't really tell me much.

So I just wanted to know some stuff about the Monk class and maybe how YOU play your Monk and maybe your Favorite build.

Arvess
11-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Monks kick ass. Except halfling monks. They kick kneecaps. Or shins if they forgot to stretch.

Monks are one of the most resilient classes in the game. Traps. Evaded. Hold Person. Save. Attacks. Miss...AC too high for you! At high levels they get, disease immunity, poison immunity...Damage resistance. They get built in attack speed boosts and some interesting special strikes.

You move fast. you can zoom about almost 2x as fast as your fellow non-monk. I forced all my friends to get 30% striders to keep up. You get built in feather fall and abundant step which is like a short teleport.

I try to maintain strong defense (high AC and saves) and wade in there with weakening or weighted handwraps doing all manner of destruction. The high attack speed and high number of attacks appeal to me. I like hitting mapped hotkeys so I bind strikes to hotkeys and hit them constantly...sometimes I chain a finisher like shining star and make Orthons rock out (but mostly they save).

Its very fun. A huge learning curve. but worth it...especially if you find yourself soloing a lot.

Hendrik
11-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Out of my half dozen capped characters, my Monk ranks in the top two favorite and most fun for me to play at the moment. I have a great deal of fun everytime I log him in.

A Monk's abilities are drawn from his Ki, taken from his Concentration skill, his Stances that are based off his primary Stats (STR, DEX, CON, WIS) and the associated Elemental based (air, earth, fire, water) and Path based (Light and Dark) attacks.

The higher your base stats the more access you have to higher level stances, up to Grandmaster (18 base), and more damaging Elemental attacks.

There's more! You can use your Elemental attacks and/or in combination with your Path based attacks to generate a unique 'finishing move'.

Monk's also gain many special benefits that are unique to them alone. Slow Fall, Abundant Step, Mediation, Perfect Self, and many others.

That is just scratching the surface and some very basic information.

As a VIP, I can't comment on TP cost of it, but from my personal play experience with Monk's, I can honestly say, Yes. Worth it!

I play a balanced Monk(20). Grandmaster of three Elements; Air, Water, Fire. Four if loot Gods praise me. I have chosen the Path of Dominion and enjoy it immensely. Oh, pure Unarmed.

Latharna
11-27-2009, 01:59 PM
The monk is like the Go-To-Guy. :) First one in, last one out. :D

Monks are definitely worth it. I haven't played any of my other characters since starting a monk (now lv 12). :)

Last night's pick-up group included such fun as:

Rogue: Trap!
Ranger: What? <click>
Blade-Trap: <wooosh>
Ranger: *dies*
Rogue: *dies*
Fighter: *dies*
Cleric: *dies*
Wizard: *dies*
Monk: How's my hair? *laughing*
Monk: <walks the length of the trap, collecting soul-stones, with a constant stream of SAVE text floating above her head>
Monk: <meditates to charge mojo>
Monk: <raises dead cleric and heals self>
Monk: <charges mojo again, since no mobs in the area to beat on>
Monk: <fires off -25% SP-cost buff so cleric can rez/buff the group>
Cleric: Thanks....Damn, I should've made a monk.
Ranger: Yeah, huh?
Rogue: My next char is going to be a monk!

etc...etc...etc... :)

Failedlegend
11-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Sounds like Monks are a REALLY good class but how hard is it to build one (Note: I have 32pt and soon will have lvl 4 start) it seems like their stats would be really stretched out...what build did you guys use (or did you just make one up) also whats a good Multi-class (or are monks like Barbs where they pretty much stay pure)

Also how does regenerating Ki work...seems to me a nigh-infinite mana pool (Ki) would be crazy OP

AylinIsAwesome
11-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Sounds like Monks are a REALLY good class but how hard is it to build one it seems like their stats would be really stretched out...what build did you guys use (or did you just make one up) also whats a good Multi-class (or are monks like Barbs where they pretty much stay pure)

Also how does regenerating Ki work...seems to me a nigh-infinite mana pool (Ki) would be crazy OP

I'm new to monk (my monk is only level 5 :( ), but from what I know it seems best to stay. Level 20 monk gives DR 10/epic, plus the capstone gives +10 concentration AND Ki regeneration +1 (passively). Plus you're a lawful outsider at that point.

So situation is this:

Shamans casting Hold Person on everyone.
Cleric gets held -> dies
Fighter gets held -> dies
Rogue gets held -> dies
Ranger gets held -> dies
Monk is immune -> kick's ass

Then resses the cleric without even having to meditate.

;)

Latharna
11-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Ki generation depends on which stance you are in. One will generate Ki when you hit something, another will generate Ki when something hits you, etc.

You can also "meditate" to gain Ki. Not sure if you can ever get more than 2 meds per rest.

Your "concentration" skill determines how much Ki you retain out of combat. That is, when you're higher than the retain number, it'll slowly drain until it reaches that number, then stop. For instance, mine currently is 32, so if I have 100 Ki, it'll slowly drain down to 32 and stop.

Arvess
11-27-2009, 02:39 PM
you gain ki everytime you do base damage to something. You gain extra ki in fire.

Failedlegend
11-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Ok since everyone seems to hold Monks in such high esteem i figured I'd give one a spin (In the Character Planner) and I came up with a few starting set-ups (Just using dwarf as an example)

Dwarf Pure Monk (1)

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 6

Dwarf Pure Monk (2)

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 18
Cha 6

Dwarf Pure Monk (3)

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 18
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 6

Also how does TWF and THF affect a Monk...Dual Kamas or Quaterstaff are obvious but what about fists and handwraps

sirgog
11-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Sounds like Monks are a REALLY good class but how hard is it to build one (Note: I have 32pt and soon will have lvl 4 start) it seems like their stats would be really stretched out...what build did you guys use (or did you just make one up) also whats a good Multi-class (or are monks like Barbs where they pretty much stay pure)

I'd strongly recommend that you make your first Monk a level 1 even if you have Veteran status, and level them to 4. They have a lot of weird and wonderful abilities, and this way you will get to learn all the abilities a monk has at a reasonable pace.

Then, once you've done that, if you are happy with your stat allocation, keep playing them - otherwise, reroll with Veteran status as a new level 4.

Presently the most popular class level splits seem to be Mnk1/Rgr18/Rog1, Mnk2/FvS18, Mnk3/Clr17 and Mnk20.

Morningfrost
11-28-2009, 04:43 AM
I need help with this, too. My main is a monk:

str 20
dex 18
con 15
int 9
wis 20
cha 9

I like to play a strentgh-based monk. This is actually a pre-rolled path of light who jumped off the path at level 4, currently 8.

Yesterday someone has suggested me to reroll because my AC is low for level 8. It is now 29 +2 (wind stance), and I need advice about it. I think 18 DEX is not bad (I don't have weapon finess, nor TWF, but I attack at +12/+11 with two kamas if I need a special weapon). How much should AC be? Is it really low? Maybe a magical outfit would help (never dropped)? By the way, I have an almost useless feather fall cloak, can I look for something incresing AC?

Keep in mind that:

- This is my first charachter;
- I like to explore, understand quests, enjoying game. Not rushing to endgame content, but actually roleplaying.
- If I ever get to level 20 (no sooner that a couple of years at this rate...) I can always reincarnate and rebuild.

Hendrik
11-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Ok since everyone seems to hold Monks in such high esteem i figured I'd give one a spin (In the Character Planner) and I came up with a few starting set-ups (Just using dwarf as an example)

Dwarf Pure Monk (1)

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8

Dwarf Pure Monk (2)

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 18
Cha 8

Dwarf Pure Monk (3)

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 18
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8

Also how does TWF and THF affect a Monk...Dual Kamas or Quaterstaff are obvious but what about fists and handwraps

The whole TWF'ing line works for Monks with Kama's and Handwraps. Weapons Finesse also works if you have a high Dex vs STR.

You base stats look very good. You have all four covered well and have the ability to gain GM status.

I would second the suggestion to start your Monk at L1 and play him/her out. IMO, Monk is an 'advanced' class, so learning it from the start is a real benefit to you and then to your party.

Bardicwolf
11-28-2009, 08:27 AM
The monk is like the Go-To-Guy. :) First one in, last one out. :D

Monks are definitely worth it. I haven't played any of my other characters since starting a monk (now lv 12). :)

Monk: How's my hair? *laughing*
Monk: <walks the length of the trap, collecting soul-stones, with a constant stream of SAVE text floating above her head>
Monk: <meditates to charge mojo>
Monk: <raises dead cleric and heals self>
Monk: <charges mojo again, since no mobs in the area to beat on>
Monk: <fires off -25% SP-cost buff so cleric can rez/buff the group>
Cleric: Thanks....Damn, I should've made a monk.
Ranger: Yeah, huh?
Rogue: My next char is going to be a monk!

etc...etc...etc... :)

I have totally been in this same situation with my monk!!! +1 to you

Failedlegend
11-28-2009, 09:24 AM
The whole TWF'ing line works for Monks with Kama's and Handwraps. Weapons Finesse also works if you have a high Dex vs STR.

You base stats look very good.

Hows this for TWF/Weapon Finesse:

Dwarf Pure Monk

Str 14
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 6

or

Str 12
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 6

Also what are some good feats to take as a Monk (aside from the TWF line) also how good are the special monk feats like Deflect arrows

Hendrik
11-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Hows this for TWF/Weapon Finesse:

Dwarf Pure Monk

Str 14
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 6

or

Str 12
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 6

Also what are some good feats to take as a Monk (aside from the TWF line) also how good are the special monk feats like Deflect arrows

If "I" was going to make the choice between thee two you have posted here, I would take the first one. More of a balanced stat spread for the main Monk stats. Easier to attain GM stances as well.

IMO, feat are a personal choice and should be made on how YOU like to play DDO. Die Hard is good for lower levels and Deflect Arrows 'can' be good for those lower levels as well, higher up - well, debatable...

Power Attack, Imp. Crit Bludgeon, and the Bludgeon spec feats if you are to stay Unarmed would be viable choices.

Rabscuttle
11-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I need help with this, too. My main is a monk:

str 20
dex 18
con 15
int 9
wis 20
cha 9

I like to play a strentgh-based monk. This is actually a pre-rolled path of light who jumped off the path at level 4, currently 8.

Yesterday someone has suggested me to reroll because my AC is low for level 8. It is now 29 +2 (wind stance), and I need advice about it. I think 18 DEX is not bad (I don't have weapon finess, nor TWF, but I attack at +12/+11 with two kamas if I need a special weapon). How much should AC be? Is it really low? Maybe a magical outfit would help (never dropped)? By the way, I have an almost useless feather fall cloak, can I look for something incresing AC?

Keep in mind that:

- This is my first charachter;
- I like to explore, understand quests, enjoying game. Not rushing to endgame content, but actually roleplaying.
- If I ever get to level 20 (no sooner that a couple of years at this rate...) I can always reincarnate and rebuild.

Your stats are fine, and 29 AC isn't bad. It will automatically go up as you level, also (levels 5, 10, 15, 20). Some things to keep an eye out for would be:

- armoured bracers (the black widow bracers from WW are +4 and easy to farm). These 'act as if you were wearing armour' and therefore count as an armour AC
- xxx "of protection" as high as you can find it - rings, cloaks, etc. These will be a deflection AC bonus.
- attune and then add the armour ritual to your outfit/robe. To do this, find the minimum level of your outfit, say it's 8. Square that, and put that many (64) khyber dragonshard fragments along with your outfit into the stone of change next to the bank in the marketplace, and activate it. Next, put that attuned armour, 15 prayer beads, and 5 vials of pure water in, and activate it once more. It will give you a +1 Alchemical AC bonus. Wait till you have a decent outfit to do it to though ;)
- dodge AC bonus items
- raise your wisdom and your dexterity. Both add their bonus directly to your AC

Also, by your level you should have at least moderate fortification. The crits are really going to start hurting now, and 75% crit reduction will help tremendously.

Useful page:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Image:Monk.gif

Morningfrost
11-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Also, by your level you should have at least moderate fortification. The crits are really going to start hurting now, and 75% crit reduction will help tremendously.

Useful page:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Image:Monk.gif

Thanks a lot, I will keep going with this. I have to double check feats and how to add them.

johnnyputrid
11-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Another thing about monks that sets them apart from other classes is their attack animations. Monks (at least Two Weapon Fighting monks - never tried any other kind of monk) have some jumping, flipping and spinning moves during their attacks that allow you to steer them mid-air. With some practice you can easily steer yourself around a monster in mid-attack, possibly ending up behind it or off to the side. This can be a very effective way to clear yourself out of a pile-on and give yourself some breathing room. You can even get yourself next to a corner and attack, then steer yourself around the corner to avoid archers or spellcasters. I've also noticed that while in mid-air, you almost never get hit by anything except AoE spells/effects. That half second of mid-air movement can make the difference in some fights, especially against multiple monsters.

Monks also have a nice range on their kick animations. Some of the spinning/roundhouse-type kicks have the same range as a greatsword or greataxe. You'll find yourself sometimes killing a monster well outside of your normal punching reach. A lot of times I'll start an attack sequence before a monster comes into my normal reach, just to hit him with a long-range kick. It really works well and gives you time to maneuver a little bit before other monsters start to gang up on you.

Morningfrost
11-30-2009, 04:40 AM
Thinking about rerolling, I have found out I'm definitely a noob. I din't know I can add a feature every three levels. So I'm to add TWF as soon as I reach level 9, 70.000 XP away now.

I think keeping this charachter is still worth the experience.

Hendrik
11-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Thinking about rerolling, I have found out I'm definitely a noob. I din't know I can add a feature every three levels. So I'm to add TWF as soon as I reach level 9, 70.000 XP away now.

I think keeping this charachter is still worth the experience.

Your learning about the class, so the experience IS worth it. IF you do reroll that knowledge will help make your next Monk all that much better...

Keep learning, playing, and having fun!!

:cool:

Failedlegend
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
OK so here V3.0 (or w/e)

Dwarf Pure Monk

Str 14
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 6

Uses Handwraps/Unarmed with TWF following the Light Path

Skills: Balance, Concentration, Jump (One point in Tumble taken away from Jump at lvl one)

Possible Feats (need help here):
TWF (Line)
Weapon Finesse
Toughness
Deflect Arrows
Diehard
Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
Discipline
Power Attack
Power Critical
Stunning Fist

Enhancements is pretty much figure out as I go since its so easy and relatively cheap to redo although most if not all most race/class stat boosts will be taken. Not really sure what I should boost at Lvl ups (probably at least dex +1 for GTWF In the end (or throughout) I hope to have the best possible DPS without sacrificing surviveability (Especially after my DPS rogue disappointed me...stupid everything immune to SA).

Korvek
11-30-2009, 10:38 PM

In most groups, it will be closer to:

Ranger: *saves*
Rogue: *saves* (They have higher trap saves than Monks, after all)
Fighter: *times trap and avoids it*
Cleric: *times trap and avoids it*
Wizard: *times trap and avoids it*
Monk: *saves*

Monks are great, but picking a trap as an indicator of survivability is a poor choice.

I'm new to monk (my monk is only level 5 ), but from what I know it seems best to stay. Level 20 monk gives DR 10/epic, plus the capstone gives +10 concentration AND Ki regeneration +1 (passively). Plus you're a lawful outsider at that point.

So situation is this:

Shamans casting Hold Person on everyone.
Cleric gets held -> dies
Fighter gets held -> dies
Rogue gets held -> dies
Ranger gets held -> dies
Monk is immune -> kick's ass

Then resses the cleric without even having to meditate.

Again, people seem to overplay certain features. For one, finding an enemy that casts hold person instead of hold monster at level 20 will probably be difficult to say the least. Second, if there's any real risk of being held, the cleric or ranger would just cast FoM on everyone, rendering them immune anyway. Third, even without FoM, it would be extremely difficult for the Cleric and Rogue (Probably the other two as well) to fail their saves.

Again, monks are an extremely survivable class, but many of the free benefits they receive are superfluous in this game.

Monks gain the benefit of both decent DPS, decent AC, and high saves without too much effort, and deal high relative DPS against enemies as fortification increases.

Latharna
11-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Monks are great, but picking a trap as an indicator of survivability is a poor choice.

Ooh, who peed in your coffee?

We like monks for our own reasons. If they're not the same as yours, too bad.

We all have funny anecdotes about stuff we've seen. I don't give a flying f*ck if you don't like it. The monk lived, everyone else died.

How exactly can you "time" a trap you didn't even know was there?

Not everyone has the time to run the same dungeon over and over and over to memorize trap locations and hidden areas.

I doubt if any of us will be impressed when you reply that you can memorize a dungeon on the first trip.

We play monks because they're fun. You sound like the kind of player that needs a graphing calculator to decide on what class or weapon to use.

Don't be shy, we know you've graphed out the dps ratios on Mathematica.

Morningfrost
11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Possible Feats (need help here):
TWF (Line)
Weapon Finesse
Toughness
Deflect Arrows
Diehard
Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
Discipline
Power Attack
Power Critical
Stunning Fist

Deflect arrows IMHO works poorly as it. Maybe a dragonmark or a skill-raising feature can be better. Also I hear Power Critical (+4 on confirmation roll) is quite useless, unless I'm confusing it.

Hendrik
12-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Deflect arrows IMHO works poorly as it. Maybe a dragonmark or a skill-raising feature can be better. Also I hear Power Critical (+4 on confirmation roll) is quite useless, unless I'm confusing it.

For lack of a better choice, Deflect Arrows can be of use at lower to mid-levels. Later on in-game, debatable.

Maybe some Skill Focus:"X" to replace Feats at other levels should be considered.

Concentration is a viable choice for a Focus Feat.

I took and have kept Power Crit myself. Really didnt find anything else to take to fit my build/character. Not disappointed with my choice....

Morningfrost
12-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I took and have kept Power Crit myself. Really didnt find anything else to take to fit my build/character. Not disappointed with my choice....

I have Dragonmarks of passage (least and lesser) that I find useful, especially soloing. I have finally managed to get TWF at level 9. I won't probably take the teleport dragonmark, but improved criticals with bludgeoning or slashing (weather I find better handwraps or kamas first) will be a viable choice. I'm also considering to roll a staff-based monk with THF to see how it comes out.

Letrii
12-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I have Dragonmarks of passage (least and lesser) that I find useful, especially soloing. I have finally managed to get TWF at level 9. I won't probably take the teleport dragonmark, but improved criticals with bludgeoning or slashing (weather I find better handwraps or kamas first) will be a viable choice. I'm also considering to roll a staff-based monk with THF to see how it comes out.

At level 9 your fists do more damage than a kama and add full Str bonus to offhand attacks, unlike kama that only adds half. The only reasons to use kamas are to beat DR and for extra bonuses or bonuses not available on handwraps.

Morningfrost
12-03-2009, 09:19 AM
At level 9 your fists do more damage than a kama and add full Str bonus to offhand attacks, unlike kama that only adds half. The only reasons to use kamas are to beat DR and for extra bonuses or bonuses not available on handwraps.

Glad you pointed it out. Thanks.

Shaamis
12-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Shaamis, my 20 monk is standing stat-wise at:

While in ultimate wind stance:

S: 26
D: 26
C: 23
I: 8
W: 28
Ch: 6

I stroll around with a 46-48 AC give or take...

I do plan on reincarnating (as soon as I get my +3 dex tome) and my new stats will start out as:

With adjustment for dwarf already figured in:

S:18
D:15
C: 14
I: 8
W12:
Ch:6

=34 points.

with tomes I have and dex +3 tome I plan on having, i'll be able to qualify for lvl 4 ultimate wind stance (18 minimum dex), a 32 strength at lvl 20, and my other stats:

While in ultimate wind stance:

S:32 (w/ +3 Str tome)
D:30 (with +3 Dex tome)
C:22 (w/+2 tome)
I:13 (combat expertise with my +3 Int tome)
W:23 (24 with a +3 tome)
Ch: 6 (still SEXY)

all of these tomes except the +3 Dex tome are in my inventory, ready to use after I reincarnate.

Why Wis so low? well, at lvl 20, with your save already astronomical, and Spell resistance is crazy, you really don't need a Wis that high, what you need is dps.

As a strength build, I can utilize kamas (lightning II) and ultimate wind stance for fair DPS as a monk, and when I want, i can just use handwraps for the in-your-face beatdowns.

Thats what I have planned so far for my 1st reincarnation.

Failedlegend
12-09-2009, 11:09 AM
In light of all the comments I've redone some things....what do you guys think?

Note: Gonna be mainly using Handwraps/Fists and be in Wind stance most of the time...using Mountain stance as needed

32 pt. Dwarf Monk

Str 14+6 (item) = 20
Dex 16+2(Lvl) +6(item) = 24
Con 16+2(Lvl) +6(item) = 24
Int 8
Wis 16+3(Monk Wis) +1(Lvl) +6(item) = 26
Cha 6

Possible Feats:

Monk Bonus Feats: Toughness,Power Attack,Path of Light,Discipline
Granted: Evasion,Improved Evasion and a multitude of Monk specific abilities
Chosen: Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons,Weapon Focus:Bludgeoning, TWF (Line),Skill Focus:Concentration,,Power Crit

Skills:

Concentration,Jump,Balance

Enhancements:

Way of the Patient Tortoise
Monk Improved Recovery
Monk Wisdom
Difficulty at the beginning
Rise of the Phoenix
Unbalancing Strike
Restoring the Balance
Receptive Earth
Fists of light
Lifting the Veil
Grandmaster of Mountains
Grandmaster of Storms
Adept of Flame
Adept of Rain
Dwarf Toughness (2)
Monk Concentration (1)
Monk Serenity

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.12 BETA
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
(20 Monk)
Hit Points: 322
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 16
Reflex: 16
Will: 17

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)

Strength 14 14
Dexterity 16 18
Constitution 16 18
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 16 20
Charisma 6 6

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 7 31
Bluff -2 -2
Concentration 7 47
Diplomacy -2 -2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -2
Heal 2 4
Hide 3 4
Intimidate -2 -2
Jump 7 26
Listen 2 4
Move Silently 3 4
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 1
Spot 2 4
Swim 3 3
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Concentration (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Concentration (+1)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Discipline

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Path) Philosophy - Path of Harmonious Balance
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 4 (Monk)
Ability Raise: DEX

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack
Feat: (Selected) Power Critical

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)
Ability Raise: DEX

Level 9 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
Ability Raise: CON
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Monk)

Level 17 (Monk)

Level 18 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Concentration

Level 19 (Monk)

Level 20 (Monk)
Enhancement: Monk Serenity
Enhancement: Lifting the Veil
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortiose I
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortiose II
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortiose III
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortiose IV
Enhancement: The Receptive Earth
Enhancement: Restoring the Balance
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery II
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery III
Enhancement: Fists of Light
Enhancement: Rise of the Phoenix
Enhancement: Difficulty at the Beginning
Enhancement: Unbalancing Strike
Enhancement: Adept of Wind
Enhancement: Disciple of Breezes
Enhancement: Grandmaster of Storms
Enhancement: Master of Thunder
Enhancement: Adept of Rock
Enhancement: Disciple of Pebbles
Enhancement: Grandmaster of Mountains
Enhancement: Master of Stone
Enhancement: Adept of Flame
Enhancement: Disciple of Candles
Enhancement: Adept of Rain
Enhancement: Disciple of Puddles
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Monk Concentration I
Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I
Enhancement: Monk Wisdom II
Enhancement: Monk Wisdom III

Irinis
12-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Oops, hit reply instead of new thread.

Failedlegend
12-10-2009, 01:37 AM
I rolled the above Monk just to try it out and I was wondering how do you you make it so he uses TWF I only see one entry for a fist in his primary hand or does hands/wraps use THF?

Note: Still looking for input on build just created the monk to see how it would fair soloing Kobold assault

Dexol
12-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Ooh, who peed in your coffee?

We like monks for our own reasons. If they're not the same as yours, too bad.

We all have funny anecdotes about stuff we've seen. I don't give a flying f*ck if you don't like it. The monk lived, everyone else died.

How exactly can you "time" a trap you didn't even know was there?

Not everyone has the time to run the same dungeon over and over and over to memorize trap locations and hidden areas.

I doubt if any of us will be impressed when you reply that you can memorize a dungeon on the first trip.

We play monks because they're fun. You sound like the kind of player that needs a graphing calculator to decide on what class or weapon to use.

Don't be shy, we know you've graphed out the dps ratios on Mathematica.

+1 for making me laugh on a cold dark winters morning

TPICKRELL
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
I rolled the above Monk just to try it out and I was wondering how do you you make it so he uses TWF I only see one entry for a fist in his primary hand or does hands/wraps use THF?

Hands are two weapons, and Wraps decorate the hands. You only see one slot used, but the wraps apply to both hands. Unfortunately, you can not mix hand wraps, so you can't wrap one hand differently than the other.

So, TWF does apply to hands even though you only see wraps filling one slot.

Failedlegend
12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Figured an alternative build using Warforged would be better for high AC build (GM Storms and Mountain for easy switch between Defensive and Offensive)..what do you guys think

Note: I welcome any corrections/suggestions especially for enhancements :) also internet slapping me for choosing WF (I love WF) instead of the awesome Dwarf Race is also acceptable...with a reason of the Dwarfs supeiority (or any race for that matter) as long as ability to get GM Storms and GM Mountains is still there.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.12 BETA
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Krogg
Level 20 Lawful Neutral Warforged Male
(20 Monk)
Hit Points: 302
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 16
Reflex: 16
Will: 17

Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)

Strength 14 14
Dexterity 16 18
Constitution 16 18
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 14 18
Charisma 6 6

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 7 27
Bluff -2 -2
Concentration 7 47
Diplomacy -2 -2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -2
Heal 2 4
Hide 3 4
Intimidate -2 -2
Jump 6 25
Listen 2 4
Move Silently 3 4
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot 2 4
Swim 2 2
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Discipline

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Path) Philosophy - Path of Harmonious Balance
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 4 (Monk)

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack
Feat: (Selected) Power Critical

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)

Level 9 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Monk)

Level 17 (Monk)

Level 18 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Concentration

Level 19 (Monk)

Level 20 (Monk)
Enhancement: Monk Serenity
Enhancement: Lifting the Veil
Enhancement: Ten Thousand Stars
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortiose I
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortiose II
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortiose III
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortiose IV
Enhancement: The Receptive Earth
Enhancement: Restoring the Balance
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery II
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery III
Enhancement: Fists of Light
Enhancement: Rise of the Phoenix
Enhancement: Difficulty at the Beginning
Enhancement: Unbalancing Strike
Enhancement: Adept of Wind
Enhancement: Disciple of Breezes
Enhancement: Grandmaster of Storms
Enhancement: Master of Thunder
Enhancement: Adept of Rock
Enhancement: Disciple of Pebbles
Enhancement: Grandmaster of Mountains
Enhancement: Master of Stone
Enhancement: Adept of Flame
Enhancement: Disciple of Candles
Enhancement: Adept of Rain
Enhancement: Disciple of Puddles
Enhancement: Monk Concentration I
Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I
Enhancement: Monk Wisdom II
Enhancement: Monk Wisdom III
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend I

Str 14+6 (item) = 20
Con 16+2(Lvl) +6(item) = 24
Int 8
Wis 14+3(Monk Wis) +1(Lvl) +6(item) = 24
Cha 6

Morningfrost
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Figured an alternative build using Warforged would be better for high AC build (GM Storms and Mountain for easy switch between Defensive and Offensive)..what do you guys think

My experience is too limited to give advice to anyone, but I think fire-based stance is very good in offensive mode, even if everybody seems to discourage it here.

How do you figure out high AC? I'm level nine at the moment, with 21 DEX (wind stance) and 20 WIS, and AC is still low, around 23/29 depending on buffs. I know it sucks, but I can't find out how to boost it up. I have +4 bracers, magical robe in case, barkskin and mage armor, and it still sucks! How can people have 40/45 unbuffed AC with monks?

Maximan
12-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Personally I prefer fire stance over wind stance. I've gone back and forth between the two, but my play style leans heavily towards the fire. This is primarily beacause I love spamming the elemental ki strikes and building up finishing moves. In fire stance my ki regeneration is fast enough for me to do this. When I switch to wind stance, yes I attack faster, but I get frustrated because it keeps yelling that I don't have enough ki. :(

Try out the various stances and play whichever one you prefer.

Morningfrost
12-12-2009, 07:10 AM
This is primarily beacause I love spamming the elemental ki strikes and building up finishing moves. In fire stance my ki regeneration is fast enough for me to do this.

It's the same for me, I like to repeat healing Ki, Walk of the Sun and Alignigning the Heavens to aid the party. Probably it is different for a dark side monk.

Try out the various stances and play whichever one you prefer.

With it's DR, I have found Mountain Stance to be rather useful in places like Delera's Tomb when there are a lot of archers shooting at you. You will take less damage and also generate Ki when struck.

Failedlegend
12-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone this is the build I'm gonna go with :)

32 pt. Halfling Monk

Str 12+6 (item)+1/2 (tome) = 19/20
Dex 16+2(Lvl) +6(item)+2(Halfling Dex) = 26
Con 14+6(item) = 20
Int 12(maybe +1 tome if CE is taken))
Wis 16+3(Monk Wis) +3(Lvl) +6(item) = 28
Cha 8

Skills:

Concentration,UMD,Balance,Hide,MS

Level progression and Feats:

1-Monk- TWF,Toughness
2-Monk- Diehard
3-Monk- Path of Light,Weapon Finesse
4-Monk- + Wis
5-Monk-
6-Monk- SF:UMD (May switch out for CE), Stunning Fist
7-Monk-
8-Monk- + Dex
9-Monk- Improved TWF
10-Monk-
11-Monk-
12-Monk- +Wis, Power Attack
13-Monk-
14-Monk-
15-Monk- Greater TWF
16-Monk- +Wis
17-Monk-
18-Monk- Improved Crit: Bludgeoning
19-Monk-
20-Monk- +Dex (1 pt jump instead of UMD)

Enhancements:
Monk Serenity
Halfling Dex 2
Halfling Cunning 2
Halfling Guile 2
Lifting the Veil
Way of the Tortoise 4
The Receptive Earth
Restoring the Balance
Monk Healing Amp 1
Fists of Light
Rise of the Phoenix
Difficulty at the Beginning
Unbalancing Strike
Grandmaster of Storms
Grandmaster of Oceans
Disciple of Pebbles
Disciple of Candles
Halfling Toughness 2
Monk Wis 3

80 AP

HartThorn
12-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the Warforged's composite plate interfere with his Monk Centered bonus? And, would Mithral or Adamantine interfere if the composite won't? Was looking at creating an Earth Grand Master with Adamantine Body to create one helluva indestructible monk...

Failedlegend
12-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the Warforged's composite plate interfere with his Monk Centered bonus? And, would Mithral or Adamantine interfere if the composite won't? Was looking at creating an Earth Grand Master with Adamantine Body to create one helluva indestructible monk...

IIRC Composite armor does not affect the centered bonus but adamantine/mithral will (same with evasion)

kartos
01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone this is the build I'm gonna go with :)

32 pt. Dwarf Monk

Str 14+6 (item) = 20
Con 16+6(item) = 22
Int 8
Wis 16+3(Monk Wis) +3(Lvl) +6(item) = 28
Cha 6

Skills:

Concentration,Jump,Balance

Level progression and Feats:

1-Monk- TWF,Toughness
2-Monk- Discipline
3-Monk- Path of Light,Skill Focus:Concentration
4-Monk- + Wis
5-Monk-
6-Monk- Power Attack, Stunning Fist
7-Monk-
8-Monk- + Wis
9-Monk- Weapon Finesse
10-Monk-
11-Monk-
12-Monk- +Dex, Improved TWF
13-Monk-
14-Monk-
15-Monk- Greater TWF
16-Monk- +Dex
17-Monk-
18-Monk- Improved Crit: Bludgeoning
19-Monk-
20-Monk- +Dex

Enhancements:
Monk Serenity
Lifting the Veil
Way of the Patient Tortoise 4
The Receptive Earth
Restoring the Balance
Monk Improved Recovery
Fists of Light
Rise of the Phoenix
Difficulty at the Beginning
Unbalancing Strike
Grandmaster of Storms
Grandmaster of Oceans
Adept of Rock
Adept of Flame
Dwarf Toughness 2
Monk Concentration 1
Monk Wisdom 3

80 AP

everything is nice and all but i'd rather rely on a +2 con tome(and i hate relying on tomes!) than level up con cuz the con points give you +1 extra hp per level(+20 at 20) and GM of mountains and a+1 fortitude save while +2 dex will give you +1 to hit +1 ac +1 reflex(taking advantage of improved evasion) and a +2 on wis will give you +1 will save +1 ac while centered +1 to the DC of your finishing moves and GM of ocean i think(the fourth water stance i forgot what it the name of it) which in turn can give you +2 to DC while activated (so before a fight you activate it use you finisher's and switch to wind stance) it's not that good tactic but it may be useful in some situations

Elazul2k
01-06-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm really new to monk. I just made one a couple of days ago and recently leveled to 4. I am addicted now like a crack addict now. My sorceror(which is still fun) has been put on hold for the moment to concentrate on my new monk.

I followed a template another player made that i found has been really nice so far. It is located here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=210181&highlight=robin

It uses a couple of +1 tomes but those can be purchased from the DDO store really cheaply.(which I plan on doing as well).

Failedlegend
01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm really new to monk. I just made one a couple of days ago and recently leveled to 4. I am addicted now like a crack addict now. My sorceror(which is still fun) has been put on hold for the moment to concentrate on my new monk.

I followed a template another player made that i found has been really nice so far. It is located here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=210181&highlight=robin

It uses a couple of +1 tomes but those can be purchased from the DDO store really cheaply.(which I plan on doing as well).

Ah the Rockin' Robin tis a good one I just felt like making a dwarf monk and since it was originally gonna be a Con/Dex based monk the RR didn't apply but in the end I really like how my Dex/Wis Dwarf monk turned out. :)

everything is nice and all but i'd rather rely on a +2 con tome(and i hate relying on tomes!) than level up con cuz the con points give you +1 extra hp per level(+20 at 20) and GM of mountains and a+1 fortitude save while +2 dex will give you +1 to hit +1 ac +1 reflex(taking advantage of improved evasion) and a +2 on wis will give you +1 will save +1 ac while centered +1 to the DC of your finishing moves and GM of ocean i think(the fourth water stance i forgot what it the name of it) which in turn can give you +2 to DC while activated (so before a fight you activate it use you finisher's and switch to wind stance) it's not that good tactic but it may be useful in some situations

not really sure what your talking about my friend I have 3 lvls in Wis and 2 in dex the only boost to con is an item and I only take Adept of rock as a prereq for the Monk Rez ability the Grandmasters I take are Oceans (Wis) and Storms (Dex)

I WAS originally gonna do a Con/Dex Monk but thanks to some helpful advice I decided against it.....FYI I've boken down the stances Bonuses below

Storms Line

Lesser Wind Stance:
+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, 7.5% Enhancement bonus & 2.5% Insight bonus to Attack Speed

Wind Stance:
+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, 10% Enhancement bonus & 5% Insight bonus to Attack Speed

Greater Wind Stance:
+3 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, 12.5% Enhancement bonus & 7.5% Insight bonus to Attack Speed

Greatest Wind Stance:
+4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, 15% Enhancement bonus & 10% Insight bonus to Attack Speed

Oceans Line

Lesser Ocean Stance:
+2 Wisdom, -2 Strength, +2 AC while tumbling, +2 to all saving throws

Ocean Stance:
+2 Wisdom, -2 Strength, +4 AC while tumbling, +3 to all saving throws

Greater Ocean Stance:
+3 Wisdom, -2 Strength, +6 AC while tumbling, +4 to all saving throws

Greatest Ocean Stance:
+4 Wisdom, -2 Strength, +8 AC while tumbling, +5 to all saving throws

Suns line

Lesser Sun Stance:
+2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, +1 Ki on hit, +2 Ki on critical hit

Sun Stance:
+2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, +1 Ki on hit, +3 Ki on critical hit

Greater Sun Stance:
+3 Strength, -2 Wisdom, +1 Ki on hit, +4 Ki on critical hit

Greatest Sun Stance:
+4 Strength, -2 Wisdom, +1 Ki on hit, +5 Ki on critical hit

Mountains Line

Lesser Mountain Stance:
+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, DR 2/-, +1 Ki when hit, +2 Ki when critically hit, +1 DR when blocking, -7% movement speed

Mountain Stance:
+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, DR 4/-, +1 Ki when hit, +3 Ki when critically hit, +2 DR when blocking, -7% movement speed

Greater Mountain Stance:
+3 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, DR 6/-, +1 Ki when hit, +4 Ki when critically hit, +2 DR when blocking, -7% movement speed

Greatest Mountain Stance:
+4 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, DR 8/-, +1 Ki when hit, +5 Ki when critically hit, +3 DR when blocking, -7% movement speed

AMDarkwolf
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Monks fall short of 'just not being' the best at any one area. But being 'just not the best' at so many area's, monks stand out alone as the most well balanced and above average survivability (This gives most monks a false sense of invulnerability and they often run out ahead and get thier asses kicked, but thats because we do so well in so many areas.)

Monks can dodge damn well even as pure, (My dex build has a standing ac of around 58 and thats not with any buffs of any kind, just monk ac, wis and dex bonuses, and icy rainment) - my ac monster has 56 standing ac, both same level ad the ac beast has CE running.

Monks can tank damn good, at lv 20 u got 10/epic dr and your fists of light let u soak damage at a decent rate(not a HUGE amount but its enough to survive most trash mobs as u beat them down)

Monks can dish out HUGE amounts of damage. U won't see flying 500's from us, but u will see 10 50's fly past in the same time it takes that barb to do his 500. Again, monks not the TOP dps but we are damn close.

Monks, if built right, can cure curses, blindness, lesser restore, raise dead, etc. We don't replace a cleric, but we damn well make his job easier.

Monks don't need(at higher levels) equipment slots for diseases immunity, poison immunity, or spell resist. Saves you having to choose between str +6 and a SR or immune ring.

Also monks get places others can't (abundant step, feather fall free, when lv 20 even when NOT using slow fall, no fall hurts, no matter the height fallen)

And after all this and the new 'changes' coming up, I am scared cuz i feel a stealth nerf coming along(But honestly monks could do with a small nerf and still do good.)

Eladrin
01-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Mountains Line

Lesser Mountain Stance:
+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, DR 2/-, +1 Ki when hit, +2 Ki when critically hit, +1 DR when blocking, -7% movement speed

Mountain Stance:
+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, DR 4/-, +1 Ki when hit, +3 Ki when critically hit, +2 DR when blocking, -7% movement speed

Greater Mountain Stance:
+3 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, DR 6/-, +1 Ki when hit, +4 Ki when critically hit, +2 DR when blocking, -7% movement speed

Greatest Mountain Stance:
+4 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, DR 8/-, +1 Ki when hit, +5 Ki when critically hit, +3 DR when blocking, -7% movement speed
In update 3, the earth stances will also gain a +1/+2/+3/+4 bonus to natural armor. (Does not stack with other natural armor bonuses.)

Twerpp
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
In update 3, the earth stances will also gain a +1/+2/+3/+4 bonus to natural armor. (Does not stack with other natural armor bonuses.)

Whens update 3?

More importantly whens the next mod!!!!

SolarDawning
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Nice. Thank you, Eladrin.
Earth might be useful now for running solo, when there's no ranger around to barkskin.

Borror0
01-06-2010, 12:11 PM
More importantly whens the next mod!!!!
Modules are a thing of the past. We only get updates now.

Lithic
01-06-2010, 12:19 PM

So thats for the 8 monks on the server too poor for +3 barkskin pots, and the 2 monks per server that don't have madstone boots? :D

TreknaQudane
01-06-2010, 12:21 PM

You're still better using GM Wind than Earth, you have 1 less AC in Wind if, and only if, you don't have a ranger in the group.

If the Stance was 0/1/2/3 Natural Armor that stacked.. I'd be interested.

SolarDawning
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
You're still better using GM Wind than Earth, you have 1 less AC in Wind if, and only if, you don't have a ranger in the group.

If the Stance was 0/1/2/3 Natural Armor that stacked.. I'd be interested.

Actually, it just occurred to me, wind stance will still have more AC than earth.
Earth: -2 dex, +4 natural armor.
Wind: +4 dex, +3 barkskin potion

Wind has +2 more armor class than Earth still.
Guess I'll be staying in Wind all the time. Earth's DR is obsolete at level 20, and Wind has more AC.

TreknaQudane
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Actually, it just occurred to me, wind stance will still have more AC than earth.
Earth: -2 dex, +4 natural armor.
Wind: +4 dex, +3 barkskin potion

Wind has +2 more armor class than Earth still.
Guess I'll be staying in Wind all the time. Earth's DR is obsolete at level 20, and Wind has more AC.

It's useless till we get Epic Archers that bypass Epic DR :p

QuantumFX
01-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Whens update 3?

SOON™

And probably SOON™er than you may think if Tolero and Keeper’s latest my.DDO.com posts indicates anything.

Dylos_Moon
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
SOON™

And probably SOON™er than you may think if Tolero and Keeper’s latest my.DDO.com posts indicates anything.

And if the stealth update to my lamannia client a few days ago meant anything.

Zantul
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Make sure and read up and have a twinked monk and with that you are Godly.

Failedlegend
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Wahoo my topic brings update secrets from Eladrin I feel special :)...kinda sucks it doesn't stack though oh well I'll probably still stick with Storms/Oceans but Mountain might be nice for soloing

rimble
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
In update 3, the earth stances will also gain a +1/+2/+3/+4 bonus to natural armor.

Badass!

(Does not stack with other natural armor bonuses.)

And lame.

Suranic
01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
It amazes me that everyone dismisses DR8/- from Greatest Earth stance and everyone seems to love DR10/epic from pure monk. Once we start running into stuff that does epic damage, the DR10/epic goes to DR0 while the DR8/- stays at 8. Of course, stuff will do so much damage that DR8 isn't a huge deal, but it does turn into a couple more hits at high level while waiting on the FoL or the cleric/fvs/bard to heal you.

I actually use 3 different stances according to situation. Solo/tank I like earth. When I'm trying to build up ki fast for combos, I go fire. And wind is just sweet for the faster attacks in other situations. Hmm... earth, wind, and fire?

rimble
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Hmm... earth, wind, and fire?

Hmm, you should look up the Shining Star (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Shining_Star) finishing move if you're not already aware of it...

Maegin
01-07-2010, 03:55 PM
It amazes me that everyone dismisses DR8/- from Greatest Earth stance and everyone seems to love DR10/epic from pure monk. Once we start running into stuff that does epic damage, the DR10/epic goes to DR0 while the DR8/- stays at 8. Of course, stuff will do so much damage that DR8 isn't a huge deal, but it does turn into a couple more hits at high level while waiting on the FoL or the cleric/fvs/bard to heal you.

I actually use 3 different stances according to situation. Solo/tank I like earth. When I'm trying to build up ki fast for combos, I go fire. And wind is just sweet for the faster attacks in other situations. Hmm... earth, wind, and fire?

I understand from a powergame/practical standpoint that just about every gamer that has figured out, that windstance is better than everythign else in the game simply becuase of the attack speed, and I say that since ppl spend 6 lvls (ranger) just to imitate an ability we as monks get for 10 ap, is and has been the most game altering ability since fw, apparently...

BUT.

...there comes a time when you decide to not think in the zone of +5% weighted/gm wind is king (even tho it basically is in the easy button sense) and express your conagitve abilities and manage your toon to its most benifitial potential and not think along the tearms of 'kill it before it kills you'. And for this sense, I think that dr/8 or 12 is a pretty big thing, seeing how ppl sh!t a brick for the bards dr/5 song as it is.

Unfortunately, the popular crowd has coined the defining ranger ability of quicker attacks, now, the standard of efficency. Now, its not bad, but it limits playing anything else that the monk has to offer. For instance, and for some reason, I actually have better ac in gm ocean stance over wind stance. That being said, that no matter what my AC is sometimes, I still get hit. Furthuremore, I have fallen in love with stoneskin clikies, and along those lines, soon to be gm earth stance, since it imitates the latter. At the cost of what? haste? movespeed that I already have thats basically overkill? I'd rather save 8/12 HP an attack, then get to a place 2-3 seconds quicker, especially when I know that AC wont help me in the situation, and when survival is a must. as for haste? drink a pot. If you have enough resorces to only focuse on the need for fast and faster and faster and faster attacking and ignore everything else, then I'm certine you've been smart enough to fill your pockets with haste potions.

Now I know dead things dont hit back, but then I see a sence that its not about how much you can dish out, but how much you can take. if saving anywhere from 60-100 hp of damage from an assault to killing a mob 2-3 seconds faster benefits me more, Ill take it. This spawns from a detached feeling of 'need to get things done faster and faster' and actually slowing down to enjoy the game. If not, it gets ingrained that, and to many it already has, that this is one big grind fest.

This is all assuming that time isnt an issue to you. If so, stick to +5% weighted/g bane/windstance.

Or when you reach a point where your AC is so much that you only get hit on a 20, then I still like earthstance/water stance, since glancingblows wittle you down and start costing you minor resouce usege, and having a 40 WIS really helps in landing those stunning blows with imp cursespewing handwraps. And for that, OP, I commend you for not falling into the easy button trap that drives so many to boredom and feeling this game is a grind. Because unlike most I know and see, this OP has had fun along the way and not racing to the end, and for that...

+1 :P

rimble
01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Maybe long winded, but..

I have no idea what just happened...

Anyways, for some reason I feel inclined to say, the usefulness of that DR 8/- was based on the supposition that Epic damage will show up more and negate our innate DR 10/Epic. Until that happens, and until you face it frequently, it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to talk about.

Of course it will always be situationally useful (perhaps moreso while leveling up), and you should have that Tier IV Earth stance to have access to the strike anyways, so it's another tool to use at the right time in the right place.

Also, just to be clear, Epic creatures don't all do Epic damage, so that alone isn't even reason enough.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2474061&postcount=46

Maegin
01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I have no idea what just happened...

Anyways, for some reason I feel inclined to say, the usefulness of that DR 8/- was based on the supposition that Epic damage will show up more and negate our innate DR 10/Epic. Until that happens, and until you face it frequently, it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to talk about.

Of course it will always be situationally useful (perhaps moreso while leveling up), and you should have that Tier IV Earth stance to have access to the strike anyways, so it's another tool to use at the right time in the right place.

Also, just to be clear, Epic creatures don't all do Epic damage, so that alone isn't even reason enough.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2474061&postcount=46

Ahem. Sorry about that, hehe it just came all spillting out.

But yeah, the info from your post is definately on the right track; I was also speaking in a general sense, in reguards from lvl 1-20, in general, ya know? Since not everyone is lvl 20, so it still is reason enough aside, in my opinon, thats all :p Maybe I shoulda made that a bit more clear. :/ my bad ty +1 to you too

Arvess
01-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I understand from a powergame/practical standpoint that just about every gamer that has figured out, that windstance is better than everythign else in the game simply becuase of the attack speed, and I say that since ppl spend 6 lvls (ranger) just to imitate an ability we as monks get for 10 ap, is and has been the most game altering ability since fw, apparently...

BUT.

...there comes a time when you decide to not think in the zone of +5% weighted/gm wind is king (even tho it basically is in the easy button sense) and express your conagitve abilities and manage your toon to its most benifitial potential and not think along the tearms of 'kill it before it kills you'. And for this sense, I think that dr/8 or 12 is a pretty big thing, seeing how ppl sh!t a brick for the bards dr/5 song as it is.

Unfortunately, the popular crowd has coined the defining ranger ability of quicker attacks, now, the standard of efficency. Now, its not bad, but it limits playing anything else that the monk has to offer. For instance, and for some reason, I actually have better ac in gm ocean stance over wind stance. That being said, that no matter what my AC is sometimes, I still get hit. Furthuremore, I have fallen in love with stoneskin clikies, and along those lines, soon to be gm earth stance, since it imitates the latter. At the cost of what? haste? movespeed that I already have thats basically overkill? I'd rather save 8/12 HP an attack, then get to a place 2-3 seconds quicker, especially when I know that AC wont help me in the situation, and when survival is a must. as for haste? drink a pot. If you have enough resorces to only focuse on the need for fast and faster and faster and faster attacking and ignore everything else, then I'm certine you've been smart enough to fill your pockets with haste potions.

Now I know dead things dont hit back, but then I see a sence that its not about how much you can dish out, but how much you can take. if saving anywhere from 60-100 hp of damage from an assault to killing a mob 2-3 seconds faster benefits me more, Ill take it. This spawns from a detached feeling of 'need to get things done faster and faster' and actually slowing down to enjoy the game. If not, it gets ingrained that, and to many it already has, that this is one big grind fest.

This is all assuming that time isnt an issue to you. If so, stick to +5% weighted/g bane/windstance.

Or when you reach a point where your AC is so much that you only get hit on a 20, then I still like earthstance/water stance, since glancingblows wittle you down and start costing you minor resouce usege, and having a 40 WIS really helps in landing those stunning blows with imp cursespewing handwraps. And for that, OP, I commend you for not falling into the easy button trap that drives so many to boredom and feeling this game is a grind. Because unlike most I know and see, this OP has had fun along the way and not racing to the end, and for that...

+1 :P

The game is designed in such a way that raw DPS is king. Its lame but since its that way, it forces everyone into a singlemindedness. The game should allow for effective debuffs. The reason why weighted 5% is so damn good is because there is no save.

On top of that, stunned mobs don't hit back AND get auto-crited. What else can bring CC AND 2x or 3x damage from everyone that hits the target?

I am all for DR as an important part of your build. My experiences though is that your DR has very little effect on the success of the party. That's great that grazing hits bounce off you or that you can withstand 2 extra hits before a cleric REALLY needs to throw a heal but when Orthons are teleporting out of the woodwork and ripping the stuffing out of your less AC minded teammates, that stun comes in WAY more handy. And because that stun is so handy and is based off of frequency of attack...wind stance helps the most.

Maegin
01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
The game is designed in such a way that raw DPS is king. Its lame but since its that way, it forces everyone into a singlemindedness. The game should allow for effective debuffs. The reason why weighted 5% is so damn good is because there is no save.

On top of that, stunned mobs don't hit back AND get auto-crited. What else can bring CC AND 2x or 3x damage from everyone that hits the target?

I am all for DR as an important part of your build. My experiences though is that your DR has very little effect on the success of the party. That's great that grazing hits bounce off you or that you can withstand 2 extra hits before a cleric REALLY needs to throw a heal but when Orthons are teleporting out of the woodwork and ripping the stuffing out of your less AC minded teammates, that stun comes in WAY more handy. And because that stun is so handy and is based off of frequency of attack...wind stance helps the most.

I hear ya and totally agreed! Which brings me to the point of its basically the new WoP :/

But I'm refering to not being at lvl 16+ at lower ranges and monk in general, not a specific point in the game where orthons are common, thats all. But, ya agreed agreed! I should have made that clear, once again like I said. my bad :p

Failedlegend
01-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Hmm, you should look up the Shining Star (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Shining_Star) finishing move if you're not already aware of it...

Shining Stars effectiveness relys on Charisma the one stat a monk can actually ignore so its really not worth boosting the stat for one ability

Arvess
01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I hear ya and totally agreed! Which brings me to the point of its basically the new WoP :/

But I'm refering to not being at lvl 16+ at lower ranges and monk in general, not a specific point in the game where orthons are common, thats all. But, ya agreed agreed! I should have made that clear, once again like I said. my bad :p

lol yeah because weighted 5% isn't available at the lower levels. Between 10-15 there is a lot of options. paralyzing is great. pure damage is great. stat damage spamming is great. improved curve then stunning blow.

rimble
01-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Shining Stars effectiveness relys on Charisma the one stat a monk can actually ignore so its really not worth boosting the stat for one ability

Right, but the DC is 10 + Monk Level + Cha Modifier, as opposed to 10 + 1/2 Monk Level + Wis Modifier of our other powers. It generally works out to have about the same DC as the rest of your abilities, unless you're particularly DC/Wis focused.

10 + 20 (Level) - 1 Cha (Cha of 8) = DC 29 Will save for Shining Star

10 + 10 (Level) + 10 Wis (Wis of 30) = DC 30 Fort save for Stunning Fist/Quivering Palm

I rarely bother building up to that move, but it's fun sometimes, and I think it's the only Will save thing we have.

Halock
01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
It is the only will save we have, and wearing a +6 char item makes it a pretty high dc, and its will, it's loads more reliable than stunning i'v found in higher up levels of play, i used it alot in amrath for example, anywhere else it was almost guaranteed.