PDA

View Full Version : What's a good returning weapon for a caster type?

asphodeli
11-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Hi all,

I've been debating whether I should make the Nightforge Spike (+5 adam dart) or grab a +5 weapon off the brokers or AH as a backup weapon. Does anyone have a recommendation or a suggestion for another weapon? Thanks in advance!

Kriogen
11-26-2009, 06:30 AM
None. Your tohit is low. Get some damage wands, works better. Low damage, but wands atleast hit.

ReaperAlexEU
11-26-2009, 07:01 AM
that depends on your strength, see my sig for a run down on how to choose a ranged weapon for your character.

i'll second the wand advice though, even one of the low level eternal wands might work out better than a ranged weapon for you.

Talon_Moonshadow
11-26-2009, 08:04 AM
I think everyone should carry the best they can find, but....

None of them really do much damage, unless you design a char specifically for it. And even then the rate of fire is slow, so so is the DPS.

I doubt your caster has a high Str or any feats to make him better with throwing weapons.

Obviously +5 is best. Or something that does soma additional damage, like Pure Good. But those are very rare on throwing weapons for some reason.

For a caster who probably has a low Str and/or Dex, I would probably suggest a siple +5 weapon.

But I wouldn't spend too much money on it.

I hold onto most returning weps I find, so that all my future chars can have one.
But most of my chars run around with only a +1 one. Even at igher lvls.
And seldom higher than +4.

It's important to have one, but I refuse to buy one. I'll just hold onto what I find myself.

tihocan
11-26-2009, 08:07 AM
The main reason to get a returner on a caster is to activate some levers. So I'd say use a random one (e.g. obtained from collectibles) until you get into the Shroud, then you can craft one with some useful clicky on it (e.g. raise dead).

CrimsonEagle
11-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Alot depends on your str. Heck...if you dex is high enough you could also consider a bow instead of a throwing weapon. Can get some nice debuffs from them.

One thing though. Not sure if you have one yet, but get a big damage dealing weapon like a great axe or something for when you solo. Held or Flesh to stoned mobs are auto critted which means you will hit them on a 2.

Casters used to use puncturing weapons, but I've found them to be lacking since the........"fix".

ReaperAlexEU
11-26-2009, 01:38 PM
all ranged weapons are based on dex to hit. all non-xbows subtracts from the damage if your STR is lower than 10. thrown weapons add to the dmg if your STR is above 11. bow's add to the dmg if your STR is above 11 and you have bow strength feat (freebie for rangers). xbows are not affected by STR for their damage.

so, if you dumped STR to 8 and havent put any items on to increase it do NOT use a throwing weapon or a bow, use an xbow for attacking mobs (levers dont care what the dmg is).

if your dex is low, then a wand will be much better. with low dex any ranged weapon you use will be unlikely to hit later on, especially considering you'll only have half the bonus of a martial class (the more u level the bigger the gap gets). wands how ever don't care for the mobs armour class and will hit any way (unless its a ray and the mobs have moved to the side, same problem for ranged weapons tho).

also, hitting held mobs is fun, i personally gave my wiz two shocking burst of pure good heavy picks for that, but then it wasnt my first character and i had a bit of gold to throw at the auction house. before my wiz got firewall he did delerah's with halt undead and one shocking burst of pure good heavy pick. i was out killing the fighters while casting nothing by CC :). halt undead has the same effect as hold on the undead, the only drawback is they are immune to crits, so no extra physical damage, burst effects how ever do work :)

Sogrin
11-26-2009, 04:12 PM
all ranged weapons are based on dex to hit. all non-xbows subtracts from the damage if your STR is lower than 10. thrown weapons add to the dmg if your STR is above 11. bow's add to the dmg if your STR is above 11 and you have bow strength feat (freebie for rangers). xbows are not affected by STR for their damage.

so, if you dumped STR to 8 and havent put any items on to increase it do NOT use a throwing weapon or a bow, use an xbow for attacking mobs (levers dont care what the dmg is).

if your dex is low, then a wand will be much better. with low dex any ranged weapon you use will be unlikely to hit later on, especially considering you'll only have half the bonus of a martial class (the more u level the bigger the gap gets). wands how ever don't care for the mobs armour class and will hit any way (unless its a ray and the mobs have moved to the side, same problem for ranged weapons tho).

also, hitting held mobs is fun, i personally gave my wiz two shocking burst of pure good heavy picks for that, but then it wasnt my first character and i had a bit of gold to throw at the auction house. before my wiz got firewall he did delerah's with halt undead and one shocking burst of pure good heavy pick. i was out killing the fighters while casting nothing by CC :). halt undead has the same effect as hold on the undead, the only drawback is they are immune to crits, so no extra physical damage, burst effects how ever do work :)

hmm. that would be an interesting build. a tempest1/wizard usind holds on enemies for auto hit/crit. would need to be 6rgr/14wiz, as to not loose out on too many spells. to the builder i go, when i get home :P would be fair bad in raids though