PDA

View Full Version : Two weapon fighting

Ybbald
11-25-2009, 01:39 PM
What are the advantages and disadvantages

I'm playing a lvl 3 rogue

ReaperAlexEU
11-25-2009, 03:03 PM
if you have 17 dex before items/buffs/enhancements are applied then with 3 feats you can double the number of attacks you get per round at a -2 to hit penalty.

as a rogue you also get 2 sneak attacks when attacking from stealth or when running while attacking (running is a -4 to hit, -6 when twf).

also as a rogue you will get the option for crippling strike later on. that does 2 str damage per hit, which would be 8 str dmg for a single weapon per round, or 16str dmg for the full twf line!

its a very popular choice and as long as you take care to only have -2 to hit penalty its better than the other attack styles.

to insure your at the smallest penalty have a "light" weapon in your odd hand, or get the oversized twf feat. if you don't the penalties will shoot through the roof!

darkdawn1
11-25-2009, 03:12 PM
One other thing to keep in mind is that while the DPS (damage per second) will go up with two weapon fighting, your defense is less w/o a shield. I tend to have a sword and board(shield), or a mace and board as another weapon set for times where defense is required.

tihocan
11-25-2009, 03:23 PM
If you are planning to deal decent damage output you should aim for either dual-wielding weapons (with twf feats) or using a two-handed weapons (preferably with the THF feats, but even without it's still significantly better than using a single weapon).
The very large majority of rogues go twf.

Kralgnax
11-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Isn't dual weilding somewhat dodgy at level 3, given the low BAB?

Sogrin
11-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Isn't dual weilding somewhat dodgy at level 3, given the low BAB?

my first rogue by then had twf, otwf and wf and was smashing things quite well

Ybbald
11-25-2009, 03:59 PM
I have 16 base dexterity X_X
why does my base need to be 17 and not my total?

Quintun
11-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I have 16 base dexterity X_X
why does my base need to be 17 and not my total?

Because those are the rules of D&D.

Ybbald
11-25-2009, 04:50 PM
what if I get a +1 dexterity tome?

what difference does it make if I have 16 and not 17?

Symar-FangofLloth
11-25-2009, 05:38 PM
You need 17 to get Greater Two Weapon Fighting (which is late in your career,so you've time.)
A Tome or a level-up increase would both qualify you, but items and enhancements will not.

Quintun
11-25-2009, 06:01 PM
what if I get a +1 dexterity tome?

what difference does it make if I have 16 and not 17?

17 is what is needed to get the feat, 16 will not be enough.

ReaperAlexEU
11-25-2009, 06:21 PM
yes, a tome or level up points will count towards unlocking the full TWF chain. a +1 tome is a good idea if you can afford it, though you should not spend free TP's on it, you'll need those for lvl12+ quest packs like giant hold or the vale. 1 of your 5 level up's is also worth while and many builds are based on that.

that extra point of dex gives 2 more attacks per round raising your attack speed from 50% faster to 100% faster! costs 2 feats but its 2 feats well worth spending!

Ybbald
11-25-2009, 08:32 PM
ok so at lvl 4 I'll get that 17th dexterity point (according to the compendium)
and I get lvl 4 in 3k exp :D

Lorien_the_First_One
11-25-2009, 10:45 PM
my first rogue by then had twf, otwf and wf and was smashing things quite well

You would have smashed better with 1 weapon. Until you get the 2nd feat you are better off not using twf

tihocan
11-26-2009, 08:18 AM
You would have smashed better with 1 weapon. Until you get the 2nd feat you are better off not using twf
In the same amount of time you get 6 attacks vs. 4 with a single weapon, for a -2 to-hit. If your build/gear allows you to hit reliably enough, it's probably worth dual-wielding even with just twf.

Ybbald
11-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Some people get mad if newbies make too many threads so I'll just post these here since this is already about rogues.

If I use diplomacy in battle by myself, what happens? If I use it in a group, do they attack other party members?
What does it mean it allows me to negotiate more effectively with NPCs? Is it like the haggle skill only it needs to be activated?

How does bluff make certain monsters vulnerable to sneak attacks? What does the monster do when its cast on them?

Symar-FangofLloth
11-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Some people get mad if newbies make too many threads so I'll just post these here since this is already about rogues.

If I use diplomacy in battle by myself, what happens? If I use it in a group, do they attack other party members?
What does it mean it allows me to negotiate more effectively with NPCs? Is it like the haggle skill only it needs to be activated?

How does bluff make certain monsters vulnerable to sneak attacks? What does the monster do when its cast on them?

1 Nothing happens alone
2 Yes, but only if the other players have done something to have some aggro. If you're the onyl one who's touched them, they'll still come after you.
3 Conversation options will open if you have enough ranks. You'll see them if you qualify. Most NPCs don't have them.

Quikster
11-26-2009, 09:40 AM

If someone gets mad at you for asking questions, tell em to buzz off. (Id use other words, but that will get you infraction points :) )

Now if you are posting the same thread multiple times in multiple forums, your just clogging things up, but to make a post asking a question is no reason for someone to get mad at you.

Diplo is an AOE effect that will make monsters around you search for another target (if you make the check). If there are no other targets, they will focus back on you.

Bluff is basically like fooling them to thinking youre a friend so you can get a few SA off. It only works on one mob, has a long animation as well. Diplo is instant.

Diplo/bluff/intimi are sometimes used to negotiate things with NPC's while in a quest, or when picking up a quest. It usually allows you to skip a step, avoid paying gold, or makes something easier. You will usually see an option in the text to select when you can use it. (Intimidate) Why don't you give me the key before I cut off your head!

tihocan
11-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Personally I find that derailing threads is even worse. And yet I'm doing it now :eek: