PDA

View Full Version : monk attack speed?

sly_1
11-24-2009, 11:09 PM
So in pnp monks get "flurry of blows" that grants additional attacks per round. In ddo this mechanic is changed into a more generic ab bonus. But regardless monks seem, at a glance anyway, to attack faster than a normal character while unarmed. So some questions:

- do monks attack faster than normal characters while unarmed, if so exactly what is the difference? (ie normal character gets 4 attacks in teh standard "chain", how many attacks does the monk get in the same time frame?)

- Do monks attack faster while using monk weapons like kamas, quarterstaff, etc?

- Does the monk attack speed bonus stack with 2wf if using say, 2 kamas?

- Does the monk # of attacks per round, if indeed faster than a normal character, cap out very early on like everyone else? (iirc most characters hit the max # of attacks at like lvl 4 or 5 or so)

- If you took 1 lvl of monk and then say 19 fighter, would you have the same # of attacks per round and attack speed either unarmed or using kamas as say, a 20th lvl monk?

Thanks!

Soulken
11-24-2009, 11:11 PM
The only thing I can tell you for sure is that in wind stance monks do attack faster.

Monkey_Archer
11-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Without using any stances:
-Unarmed is approximately 10% faster then other styles.
-Monks using kamas or staff will attack at the same speed as other classes.

Wind stance increases attack speed for all styles (2.5% per tier)

Dungnmaster001
11-24-2009, 11:22 PM
The attack speed you're seeing is likely due to wind stance. In DDO monks work a bit differently than PnP and one of those differences is enhancements that represent different styles. 99% of monks that I've seen use wind stance because it's an attack speed increase (partially stacks with haste too) and a buff to dex rolled into one.

tihocan
11-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Unarmed combat is faster than with weapons in hand as long as you have at least one monk level. That's all.
Extra bonuses like haste, wind stance, etc. apply equally to all styles in most situations (though IIRC tempest does not increase unarmed combat speed).

mechgouki
11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
The attack speed you're seeing is likely due to wind stance. In DDO monks work a bit differently than PnP and one of those differences is enhancements that represent different styles. 99% of monks that I've seen use wind stance because it's an attack speed increase (partially stacks with haste too) and a buff to dex rolled into one.

I heard the remaining 1% use ocean. :P

Cedwin
11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
I heard the remaining 1% use ocean. :P

nah only .5% use ocean, the other .5% are still using sun. Earth stance has it's uses, but it's pretty worthless otherwise. It increases your blocking AC and gives you DR, so it's great for blocking things in doorways, that's about it. It would have been great for the end boss in STK back in the day, when everyone blocked the giant while the casters magic missled him to death.