PDA

View Full Version : Mummified Bat - whats the big deal about it?

asphodeli
11-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi all, I've listened to an episode of DDOcast (not sure which one) and there's a segment about top 10 items in DDO, and it mentioned the Mummified Bat. Question is, what's the big deal about the Mummified Bat when it gives FF and Listen & Spot +5? Would there be an example whereby the Mummified Bat would come in as a very large help as compared to using a FF ring/boots?

DasLurch
11-24-2009, 07:46 PM
It uses the trinket slot for equipment. That's really the only big deal about it. Back when the game 1st launched 2006) it was a bigger deal. Now it's just a named reward.

Quintun
11-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi all, I've listened to an episode of DDOcast (not sure which one) and there's a segment about top 10 items in DDO, and it mentioned the Mummified Bat. Question is, what's the big deal about the Mummified Bat when it gives FF and Listen & Spot +5? Would there be an example whereby the Mummified Bat would come in as a very large help as compared to using a FF ring/boots?

Mostly the item slot and the fact that it comes as an end reward from the CO6 quest line. On a caster the bat might be useless since SP items are so often trinket related, but on a melee type it might be a really good spot. The DDO cast might have been an old one when there was no ring of feathers from STK. I would not consider the bat a top 10 item any longer.

Turial
11-24-2009, 07:48 PM
There are few nice items for the trinket slot that you need to keep there all the time. Being able to put feather fall there is a nice convenience.

QuantumFX
11-24-2009, 07:48 PM

It was probably an older episode when FF items were a whole lot rarer and it was the only static FF item. (The Ring of Feathers came much later.)

Best example I can come up for you is if a FF item would need to switch out with a GFL, Power/Wizardry or Striding item. There are times where the striding item will help you make long jumps. The HP/SP loss from switching out an item can be painful as well.

Riorik
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
A few misses on the earlier answers.

It's all about variety for slots and being able to throw a feather fall item into a slot for effects that are not needed constantly.

For example, I've always tried to put any kind of striding item into a boot slot. One of the more common spots for a Feather Fall item is also...you guess it, a boot slot. Further, sometimes what it takes to get to the right spot in an underground area is decent movement speed and featherfall...assuming, of course, you're not using spells to move faster.

It's never really been great for anything else.

hydra_ex
11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Although DDOcast is a great podcast, a lot of the info is tilted towards newer players, and thus, petty items are often over-hyped. For instance, take Jerry's muckbane fetish :)

There's not really much great, and its not so special, just nice to have. Personally, I've never got one, and I don't care. Definitely not a top 10 item though. And as for the argument about slots - I never saw why it was so much of a big deal. Just swap your featherfall. On my melees, I have madstone boots and ff boots swapping out. My strider is a ring.

tihocan
11-25-2009, 08:31 AM
It was probably an older episode when FF items were a whole lot rarer and it was the only static FF item. (The Ring of Feathers came much later.)
Wasn't the mummified bat the *only* FF item in the game?

ReaperAlexEU
11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
well i remember way back when the mummified bat was still alive! it was called bertie the bat and used to flap about the place as happy as larry. then one day larry killed bertie and had it mummified so larry could jump off big cliffs for giggles. nasty piece of work that larry...

Elsbet
11-25-2009, 09:01 AM
The mummified bat is nice if you have nothing else to take the trinket slot. Lil uses it and swaps it with Kardin's Eye when she's not jumping off things. (Well, she did before I reincarnated her anyway.) I like to jump off things, so she does that a lot.

Before that, it mostly took up space in my bank.

Samiusbot
11-25-2009, 09:15 AM
It is a lot easer mid fall to see and click a bat next to that bloodstone,before meeting the ground, than picking 1 of 3 or 4 pairs of boots that all look the same.

Also I believe that top 10 list was for name loot for levels 6-9.

Shyver
11-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Cleans up the inventory and toolbars, so really (as others have said) it's about just making things easier.

Trinket slot: Bloodstone/Mummified Bat/Bottle of Air/Voice of the Master

Bekki
11-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Although DDOcast is a great podcast, a lot of the info is tilted towards newer players, and thus, petty items are often over-hyped. For instance, take Jerry's muckbane fetish :)

There's not really much great, and its not so special, just nice to have. Personally, I've never got one, and I don't care. Definitely not a top 10 item though. And as for the argument about slots - I never saw why it was so much of a big deal. Just swap your featherfall. On my melees, I have madstone boots and ff boots swapping out. My strider is a ring.

Hey....easy on the Muckbane... :p

I have to admit, That is still one of my Favorite items... :o

And one of the few low level items that is always useful...
Even up around end game...At least... until ...
you can manage to pull a Mucks Doom! :D
*Applies bad accent...*
( I have one... They are quite nice...) ;)

The main thing is that in addition to the bonus;

which is nice for any char. (Especially a rogue.)
And yes as Samiusbot stated the loot list was for Chars. 6-9

One of the best things about the "Bat" is that it is a trinket.

I frequently swap out my rings on Bekki and on more than
on occasion have forgotten to switch back...

Run round the vale with a +10 Haggle item much?

It's not pretty. :eek: :p Having on less thing to worry about
switching to if you have nothing else in your trinket slot is very nice.

I think I general switch between... Masters voice/ Head of good fort./ phiarlan pendant right now... Still looking for the bat.

Yes I believe for a time the only Two "Named" Feather fall items were the

"Ring of Feathers", (ML 2) and the Mummified Bat. (ML 9 I believe.)

and it was normal to transfer the ring to another Char once you scored "the mummy bat."

Memnir
11-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Once upon a time, when you compleated a quest-chain like WW, STK, or Co6, the only rewards you were offered were the static list of named items themed to that chain. People complained that once they ran TR and got their Crimson Gemstone or BladeMaster's Gauntlets - there was no longer a reason to run the quests and the Devs changed those chain rewards to be half-named loot & half-random loot. This was both good and bad, but that is a thread for another time...

Back in these halcyon days of yore, when you were guaranteed the whole list of named items - the Bat was the only static FF item in the game. Yes, you could get it as a reward randomly from a chest -but it was so valued because you knew you could pick it up right around the time it was getting critical to be able to equip a FF item when needed.

Now, since it's a more rare reward drop on Co6's list and other FF items are easier to get (the AH changed this dramatically), it's more of a nostalgia item or boon to those who have trouble with their boot and/or ring slots. The Bat remains valuable - but not to the degree it used to be. Plus, the Devs gave it an adorable icon - and that helps too. :D

Murgatroyd
11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
The Bat remains valuable - but not to the degree it used to be. Plus, the Devs gave it an adorable icon - and that helps too. :D

I much preferred the older icon :D

tihocan
11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Back in these halcyon days of yore, when you were guaranteed the whole list of named items - the Bat was the only static FF item in the game. Yes, you could get it as a reward randomly from a chest -but it was so valued because you knew you could pick it up right around the time it was getting critical to be able to equip a FF item when needed.
As far as I can remember there were no random FF items in the game at launch.

FarOutFish
11-25-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't care about the rest of the argument. For me the thrill of jumping off high places and floating around is a kick in the pants. WHOOOOOOOPE

Mercules
11-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Feather Fall items are not that common. It is a fairly handy ability to have in the Trinket Slot. Why? Striders come on Boots and Rings but not Trinkets. Trinket means I can have Dex Boots and a Striding Ring or Striding Boots and 2 good Rings and not loose their effects while still having Feather Fall on.

Some things like Master's Voice are nice to have on, but really can take a back seat to Feather Fall when needed.

Mockduck
11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
That comes from a pretty recent segment done by Rheebus in a "Top Ten" for low-level loot.

The Mummified Bat has decreased in value quite a bit over time, but it's still a great way to go.

Reason? Trinket slot and additional bonuses. If you have a ring or boots, that's great, but I have always found that those ring and boot slots are needed for +stat items, striding boots, named boots, resistance items, etc. So having a FF item there tends to be a pain.

Granted, the + to spot and listen isn't all that great, but it's better than some of the other properties found on FF boots.

The Turbine dev team has also increased the number of good trinket slot items over time. Used to be there weren't all that many good items for that slot, just a few, so swapping them out was much easier than dealing with competition from boots or other things.

Now we can even get feather fall on Dragontouched armor if we want.

I personally like the Mummified Bat because it's easy to find in my inventory/hotbar and click to when needed in the middle of a quest. It's also pretty common to get it as an end reward in Co6, so if you are looking for a good FF item its much easier to get than, say, the Ring of Feathers.

Re: Muckbanes. I don't know if their drop rate jumped significantly from the last time I was moving up alts in DDO, but I can tell you that prior to the launch of DDO:U, I had a total of one Muckbane looted in 50+runs of Durks. DDO:U launched, I was leveling up my Favored Soul and pulled two in a row out of three runs. For me, that was incredible. In hindsight, I guess it's just the way things are now, but it seemed like a pretty cool deal at the time. I answered the question for that article quite a while before it was published and shortly after I pulled that item, and it was the only recent loot achievement I could think of. I'm never gonna live it down...

@Hydra_Ex: For every comment I get telling me that the show focuses too much on new players, I have a comment telling me that I need to do more to help new players instead of just focusing on the veterans. I can't win. I made a deliberate choice to focus on new players in the weeks leading up to the launch of DDO:U and continuing through now after being told by a bunch of people over the summer that they felt like the show was inaccessible to the new player. However, your comment and others lead me to think that maybe I've swung too far the other way. Perhaps its time to re-evaluate and make sure I don't ignore the vets. But that's another topic for another thread...

ReaperAlexEU
11-25-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't care about the rest of the argument. For me the thrill of jumping off high places and floating around is a kick in the pants. WHOOOOOOOPE

its a lot more fun to jump off a high place and only swap to featherfall just before you hit the ground!

a good way to limit your urge to "pull the chute" early is to use a FF clicky. with the short duration you'll die if you pull it too early.

i call it base jumping :D

QuantumFX
11-25-2009, 02:31 PM

I think so. Honestly, it was so long ago that I don’t remember.

Memnir
11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
No, random FF items have always dropped - but they were a lot more rare. Or at least they seemed so, because the game was new and nobody traded one if they found it. That is what made the Bat so special.. it was guaranteed. I think they boosted the FF drop rate a good deal once they added in the half random/half static loot system - as a lot of people complained that FF was near impossible to get and had run Co6 20+ times, and still no Bat.

I had a perm. FF helmet in the first Beta of the game, so I can tell ya that they've been around a while. :)

tfangel
11-25-2009, 05:02 PM

I know before i took a break a while ago, yeah, i went to level 10 without seeing another perm feather fall item. Now, i've seen around ten from harbor on.

Jerry's muckbane fetish

Don't diss muckbane, i always try to get two on my wizards, dual wield them. It's basically a no miss muck slayer. Mucks Doom is better, but then you have to go into "The Pit" (dear god i hate that quest, first time in there yesterday, such a horrid quest.) Something to remember too is it used to be trivial to get them, they were always (if not always, darn near) in the chest with Muck. I do think the older quests that got folded into Korthos explained mucks better with having that one big one come out and split if you hit with the wrong weapons. I've seen players not understand they can split and get swamped. :P

Quintun
11-25-2009, 05:02 PM
No, random FF items have always dropped - but they were a lot more rare. Or at least they seemed so, because the game was new and nobody traded one if they found it. That is what made the Bat so special.. it was guaranteed. I think they boosted the FF drop rate a good deal once they added in the half random/half static loot system - as a lot of people complained that FF was near impossible to get and had run Co6 20+ times, and still no Bat.

I had a perm. FF helmet in the first Beta of the game, so I can tell ya that they've been around a while. :)

On Cannith UWA items have now become the rarer drop. AT least for me and my guildies.

toughguyjoe
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
On Cannith UWA items have now become the rarer drop. AT least for me and my guildies.

Bubble Belt FTW

Vua
11-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Re: Muckbanes. I don't know if their drop rate jumped significantly from the last time I was moving up alts in DDO, but I can tell you that prior to the launch of DDO:U, I had a total of one Muckbane looted in 50+runs of Durks. DDO:U launched, I was leveling up my Favored Soul and pulled two in a row out of three runs. For me, that was incredible. In hindsight, I guess it's just the way things are now, but it seemed like a pretty cool deal at the time. I answered the question for that article quite a while before it was published and shortly after I pulled that item, and it was the only recent loot achievement I could think of. I'm never gonna live it down...

Since I've moved over to Cannith in September, I've seen Muck spawn 4 times in 60+ runs. So my drop rate hasn't gotten any better since EU released.

Memnir
11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
On Cannith UWA items have now become the rarer drop. AT least for me and my guildies.Pretty sure that's game-wide, and nobody seems to know why (the Devs have not said, either). They went from no ML to ML 7, with bound and RR versions ML 5. They seem to drop more regularly in higher level quests, where it's usually spliced with something useless.

tfangel
11-25-2009, 05:31 PM

Seems to me too, although just today i found a gem trinket that seems named (forget the name) from the house J quest next to fred, underwater action and swim +10. I'm now level 10, first uwa item i've seen on her. With the clicky ring, i'm guessing most used that, but it sucked at running out too early, so i'll treasure this one. ;)

Velexia
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM

The only FF Trinket in the game.

asphodeli
11-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Wow, didn't know my thread could solicit so many response from vets and even Mockduck himself! :eek: Thanks everyone for their suggestions and ideas on how to utilize the Mummified Bat - I myself was offered one on my first CO6 run, so I took it over the Scavanged Warplate, which was on my "watchlist" for items to get. Too bad the Bubble Belt wasn't offered though. :(

tihocan
11-26-2009, 08:22 AM

You sure about that? It might have been in beta but not at launch ;)
Not really doubting you though, it could just have been super-rare. I also remember seeing a clicky of dimension door once, but I never took a screenshot...

stockwizard5
11-26-2009, 08:30 AM
...Trinket slot: Bloodstone/Mummified Bat/Bottle of Air/Voice of the Master

JERKY!!!!
PoP X
Head
Bauble
Bloodrage
Arrow

Nonan
11-26-2009, 08:39 AM

There was the ultra rare dropped boots in WW. But they were too rare to go for them effectively.

sephiroth1084
11-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Since I've moved over to Cannith in September, I've seen Muck spawn 4 times in 60+ runs. So my drop rate hasn't gotten any better since EU released.
Do you make sure to do the 2-chance method of spawning Muck?

For those who don't know, after you kill one of the brothers and activate the valve that opens the rear of the sewer, go there before heading to the other brother and check for Muck, then, after you finish off the other brother and hit his valve, go check again. If Muck doesn't spawn the first time, there is fresh chance for him to spawn on the second.

its a lot more fun to jump off a high place and only swap to featherfall just before you hit the ground!

a good way to limit your urge to "pull the chute" early is to use a FF clicky. with the short duration you'll die if you pull it too early.

I love doing this off the top of Tempest Spine!

But I must admit, that FF-enabled long-jumping can be more fun sometimes. Add in speed boosts, like House P trinket, Sprint Boost, and Striders to:
-Jump from the Denieth Ward at the back of House D all the way to the gateway to the Marketplace.
-Leap across the drawbridge at the end of Threnal, and smack the switch to let the bridge down for all your non-Super-Leaping comrades.
-Jump back to the upper bridge from the lever towers in VoN 5.

FarOutFish
11-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Good idea I'll try it.

Glenalth
11-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Early on there was also an issue that clothing and jewelry items were much rarer drops than weapons which made that occasional feather fall item so much harder to get.

Glenalth
11-26-2009, 08:34 PM

For those who don't know, after you kill one of the brothers and activate the valve that opens the rear of the sewer, go there before heading to the other brother and check for Muck, then, after you finish off the other brother and hit his valve, go check again. If Muck doesn't spawn the first time, there is fresh chance for him to spawn on the second.

I love doing this off the top of Tempest Spine!

But I must admit, that FF-enabled long-jumping can be more fun sometimes. Add in speed boosts, like House P trinket, Sprint Boost, and Striders to:
-Jump from the Denieth Ward at the back of House D all the way to the gateway to the Marketplace.
-Leap across the drawbridge at the end of Threnal, and smack the switch to let the bridge down for all your non-Super-Leaping comrades.
-Jump back to the upper bridge from the lever towers in VoN 5.

If you find a nice slope to slide down you can get some crazy distance. Like from the cliff above Rainbow in the Dark all the way to the gate of Meridia.

Ardkor
11-27-2009, 03:55 AM

LOL...that's actually called "HALO"...high altitude, low opening....and timing is *everything* hahaha! I love FF in this game - but I have to remember that while I'm gliding in, I don't actually have to turn into the wind and flare out for a safe landing. (It's also disturbing to see monsters running along under you, slobbering and trying to be first to the LZ...)

Lately I have had my very cool leaps interrupted by things like pipes...I'll be swooshing down to land and *snag*...my guy is hanging there by his hands on a pipe or a wire or something. Kind of startling, the first time it happened in "Information Is The Key", now I have to try and grab that pipe whenever I run that quest.

Try that for a challenge...leap from a high place and try to grab something...if you miss THEN you try to hit FF clicky just before you land. :)

Twerpp
11-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Cool factor

Some items are just cool like that. Mummified Bat DUDE ITS A MUMMIFIED BAT!!!

Shrunken Head DUDE ITS A SHRUNKEN HEAD!!!

Khardins Eye ITS REALLY HIS EYEBALL DUDE! *squish*

Finger Necklace. A NECKLACE...of muther----in FINGERS!!!

Belt of Tongue. AN UNDEAD BEHOLDERS TONGUE. YOU WEAR IT AS BELT :eek:

Bloodstone did you read the description it makes you PSYCHO LIKE THE SHINING!

You get the idea. Then there's some fails like Toothpick lol. Anyways.

ReaperAlexEU
11-27-2009, 07:07 AM
ohh, when i'm paragliding in house D i like to try and land on the golden statue, its kinda tricky cos the hidden clip brushes are a pain, its best if you feel like you might overshoot.

as for my base jumping, nahh, it aint HALO. were talking city type altitudes, base jumping is definitely the right word. now, jumping off VON6, thats HALO! :). its also impossible to not die, but who cares, the ride is fun and i do it every time, its also fun haunting people in the market place :)

i also like base jumping in coal, the only problem is you wind up with a welcoming committee of trogs and your team is still half way through their fall :)

tempest spine is great for paragliding, i like to aim for the entrance and use auto-run, i then spiral my approach to keep the forwards movement, instead of slamming into the clip brush and dropping straight down. its very satisfying to hit the LZ you were aiming for while in auto-run :)

strange what fun you can have in DDO without doing quests or killing mobs ;)

Vua
11-27-2009, 07:36 PM

When I'm running by myself I sometimes do it. I did it a couple times while running with my 2 brothers but it gets old kinda quick. I'd guess that I've done the 2-chance method maybe a dozen times give or take. My main goal hasn't been muck, it's been XP. I've just leveled 7 toons up to anywhere between 5 and 10 so I have a good spread of chars to play.

Carlll
11-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Some players are really crazy about Featherfall items. I suppose this is a relic from a time when they were really rare or important.
You can nearly always slide down the side to avoid all falling damage.
And if you take damage from a fall once in a while, well, drink a pot.

Not to mention that FF slows your jumping movement and is generally annoying...

drac317
11-27-2009, 07:53 PM
i like to freefall in coal on my acrobat and only take like 8 points of damage