PDA

View Full Version : Dont be afraid to talk on the mic.

Xalted_Vol
11-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I have been in the most boring groups PEOPLE DO NOT TALK in the group basic tactics or anything. I am at the point where I just leave NO MIC BYE BYE.

tihocan
11-24-2009, 10:44 AM
If I talked on the mic you'd be very afraid.

Visty
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
some ppl dont have a mic
some ppl have a strange stting in their pc where everything which comes out of the speakers is treaten like spoken into a mic...and THAT you really dont want to hear

Kordan
11-24-2009, 10:52 AM
It's amazing how many people have "broken mics". If you don't wanna talk just say so...

Mics are a double edged sword... I like when people talk but there are some I wish would just shut up.

Strakeln
11-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Honestly, I wish DDO did not have built-in voice chat.

For one, it sucks. Seriously. I have yet to find a worse voice chat system. You can't hear half the people, the other half blow out your eardrums... and there's no way to individually adjust volumes, after more than three years of us begging for such a change!

Two, waaaaay too many people think I want to hear every stupid thing that crosses their pea brains. Shut up already! If it doesn't relate to the game, don't share it with people you don't know. Diarrhea of the mouth is not an attractive quality!

Balthamus
11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't chat on mic because i don't like it.

It ruins my semi-immersion when that big barbarian speaks like a 12 year old and screams for help when surrounded by orcs, it really does. Then there are the folk who talk too much and im like ****, please. I agree with what Strakeln said and i much prefer the groups when no one uses it.

Cedwin
11-24-2009, 11:42 AM
My thought on Voice Chat.

Guild runs, yes.

PuGs, NO.

HeavenlyCloud
11-24-2009, 11:45 AM

For one, it sucks. Seriously. I have yet to find a worse voice chat system. You can't hear half the people, the other half blow out your eardrums... and there's no way to individually adjust volumes, after more than three years of us begging for such a change!

Two, waaaaay too many people think I want to hear every stupid thing that crosses their pea brains. Shut up already! If it doesn't relate to the game, don't share it with people you don't know. Diarrhea of the mouth is not an attractive quality!

Wait are you saying people don't want to know when i got a new haircut? ***!

Velexia
11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
I agree with don't be afraid to talk. We don't care if you are a boy or a girl, young or old, sane or questionable. It's just nice to have some communication and conversation =)

Also of course, it is a great deal of help when you can say "trap" as a rogue, rather than type it out (by which point someone has probably landed in it).

Also, don't be afraid to set up your audio settings to hear other people. Here is my method:

Voice Volume: 1.00
All Other Sound Effects: 0.02
Then adjust your computer's volume as need be, and if someone is very loud tell them they don't have to be so loud.

It is very easy to be quieter, it is harder to be louder. (My mic gain is at 1.00 and my threshold is at 0.00, if you have all of your volume settings high, I'll have to shout into the mic for you to hear me =) )

Jay203
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM

ehehe, whatever do you mean :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OLDTIMEDD
11-24-2009, 11:59 AM
It's amazing how many people have "broken mics". If you don't wanna talk just say so...

Mics are a double edged sword... I like when people talk but there are some I wish would just shut up.

Like people who talk about everything BUT the game!:p Some convo's just not needed.

I like mics but seem to be unable to get mine to send out in game. Think partly due to mic boom too short and ends too far back on face to pick up.:confused:

Strakeln
11-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Wait are you saying people don't want to know when i got a new haircut? ***!
Actually, that's okay. It's when you start telling us about your mom's new haircut that it's just gone too far :D

Indrn_Fretgoop
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
omg my stories are awesome strak why must u hate!

HeavenlyCloud
11-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Actually, that's okay. It's when you start telling us about your mom's new haircut that it's just gone too far :D

Phew i was worried there for a second. Thanks for clarification!

Mockduck
11-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I've noticed a lot less chatter on voice chat in pickup groups lately as well, it's sort of odd to declare a tactic or something over voice chat and face a wall of silence, no acknowledgment that anyone heard you or not. I prefer voice to typing (imagine that!), simply because its far more "instant".

Shamurai
11-24-2009, 01:45 PM
If I'm on DDO, then I'm on VC. I don't like tryin to type since I need my hands to mouse, and to click stuffs... so yeah its VC all the way for me. Like it or boot me, you decide. heehe

mechgouki
11-24-2009, 02:47 PM
I use a female toon. So voice is a definite no-go.

ddaedelus
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I use a female toon. So voice is a definite no-go.

:confused: Unless you're roleplaying (and even then) what difference does that make?

ddaedelus
11-24-2009, 02:58 PM
My mic is actually broken.

But I've also found a broken mic to be something of a relief. I'm no longer expected to lead. I can cuss profusely and no one cares. And where I would once answer questions at length, now I just type "yes" and "no" and "maybe" and call it done.

I'm never fixing my mic. I'll just listen. :D

And yes, the volume is either way too loud or (most often) way too soft.

Strakeln
11-24-2009, 02:59 PM
omg my stories are awesome strak why must u hate!

How did you know I was talking about you? :D

Ystradmynach
11-24-2009, 04:40 PM
I actually prefer it when nobody uses mics so I can listen to some music instead while I play. Besides which, if I've done the quest before, there is little need to use voice chat anyway, I can usually see what is going on.

vettkinn
11-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Sometimes, I hear people breath. Its creepy, comrades.

Strakeln
11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Sometimes, I hear people breath. Its creepy, comrades.
But those corn chips sure sound tasty! :D

How the hell do you only have 1 green bar? I've been repping you every time it lets me... apparently some don't like your communist shtick.

/time to break out 2nd acct...

KillEveryone
11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I have a mic.

I'll use it for tactics.

If the group knows what to do then I usually don't talk much. "Gather on me for buffs". " TRAP...STOP."(trap go off and kills party member because they kept moving.

I don't talk about anything other than tactics usually.

I can't play and have any conversation other than what tactics we will be using for the next mob.

I don't usually have much to say either....usually. Some subjects I can be quite vocal on.

If I'm sitting somewhere waiting for a group I can be chatty.

If I'm sleepy I'll be kinda mute. If I just got off work, I'll hardly say anything since my brain is still decompressing and I need to kill stuff before I can be more sociable because at work I am VERY vocal and VERY opinoinated and I just need to give my brain a rest.

Asketes
11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Diarrhea of the mouth is not an attractive quality!

If you were my friend you'd accept me for who i am. :p

:eek:

Rumbaar
11-24-2009, 10:54 PM
I prefer mic, but sometimes I'm in a location that I can't. High noise or others around (annoying them). So I have to type.

I turn on Auto Talk when in a group of known people, but if in a general group I go to manual voice and only use it sparingly with a focus on typing.

I try to be a considerate gamer. I don't mind silence and I don't mind chatter. But yes some kind of acknowledgement is a plus when a 'command' or question is asked.

Most times, no-one wants to hear your music so turn auto voice off if that's the case!

OLDTIMEDD
11-25-2009, 07:18 AM
I have noticed one other problem with VC. It seems that some that use it seem to forget to look for typed msgs from those that don't. or it just seems that way to me.
Maybe I'm wrong but .........:confused:

leadhead
11-25-2009, 07:52 AM
I have a mic, but it is used for ventrillo. I have had people use the game voice chat, but it took me to about lvl 7 before I realized that the charlie brown adult talking kazzoo sound comming from the game was someone trying to speak to me and not some broken sound effect.

Strakeln
11-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I have noticed one other problem with VC. It seems that some that use it seem to forget to look for typed msgs from those that don't. or it just seems that way to me.
Maybe I'm wrong but .........:confused:

No, you're right, quite a few neglect to read. Though my favorite is the guy who reads out loud into the mic the entire line you typed, often slowly as though he is sounding out the words... lol :rolleyes:

Zlingerdark
11-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Here is my take on mics and sounds in general. MUTE! That's right, I have my computer volume on mute, the game sound on mute, and disable anything related to sound in the game. I hear nothing, not even the game sound effects. I find sounds extremely annoying, and I am sure I would find meaningless chatting most annoying of all.

I am sadden by the fact that many folks seem to rely on VOIP to communicate in this game. I am aware of the prevalent use of mics by most people, and usually tell everybody in my party immediately upon joining any group, "No VOIP here." Many folks understand and I do not care if the rest of the party uses it VOIP. Matters not to me, since I will hear nothing. However, I hope that party members realize this and use text chat for strategy, planning and game related issues, especially when they are TALKING to me or the PARTY.

So if you are the type that requires VC to play, then I am not going to be in your group. Your loss not mine.

Could I use VC? Sure! But it will never be suitable for me, as I am hearing impaired. Heck, even talking on the phone stresses me out as it is extremely challenging for me to hear a clearly spoken ENGLISH let alone the accented filled ENGLISH.

Secondly, having sound on my computer is usually really annoying to those nearby who do not want to hear them. Being hearing impaired, I would have to have the volume almost maxxed, and even wearing headphones with a mic (which I do have) people can still hear the sound, or chatter coming from them IN THE NEXT room!

Lastly, I am certain if I heard the folks speak (especially if they are OOC) it would completely destroy the illusion of the game for me. Along with that, I would never be able to distinguish the various people's voices and pair that up with the name of the character in question. Text chat is superior in all regards. I KNOW who spoke when text chat. Even if I missed it, I can scroll back and see what was said.

So really! Is it so hard to hit the ENTER key, and start typing, and hit ENTER again?

KillEveryone
11-25-2009, 07:26 PM
So really! Is it so hard to hit the ENTER key, and start typing, and hit ENTER again?

For me in the quest, yes.

I can type very well. I can't type while moving or trying to do stuff.

I can type between fights but I'll have to stop to type.

I don't use a full keyboard. I have a wolfking warrior mini-keyboard for my WASD and other nicely situated keys. I sit in a comfy chair and lean my board against it and if I have to type, I have to pick it up and put it accross my lap. Then I'll have to stop moving(don't want to hit a trap or aggro) or what I'm doing to type.

I'll read the text. I'm used to that. I do prefer voice because I can push 1 key and speak, but I understand when someone doesn't use it. If I have to communicate with someone that doesn't have voice I'll type between mobs but you won't see much typing otherwise.

deathtouch
11-25-2009, 07:29 PM
I hate talking on the mic, being a Brit who lives in the US I often have to repeat myself when I use the Mic, so very rarely use it in PUGS.

Sogrin
11-25-2009, 08:05 PM
my mic works in vent.

it does not work in DDO

DDO VC does not gain sound very well imo

biggin
11-25-2009, 08:24 PM
I just recently started using voice chat myself after almost 2 and a half years without it, and it does take some getting used to. Like when I'm teaching my dogs to riverdance when waiting for the group to fill. Or when it's "12 pack and DDO" night. But running healers exclusively, it was very hard for me to type, "Hey you dummy, get from behind the wall if you want a heal" while keeping the party alive. A man can only hunt and peck so fast......

Tammuz
11-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I dont normally use my mic, though I have one. I generally only use it when at least 3 of the group excluding myself (Raid or 6 man band) is using it. I consitently use it when running Tor, as it makes it easy to communicate the HP of the Giants/Dragons on opposite sides of the room mid-combat. Albeit, its not absolutely necessary- nor is VC necessary even for a rogue using traps. I'm certain it could be remedied by using a set of aliases keyes to a simple ;Letter. A rogue I've run with a half dozen times uses one that says STAY BEHIND ME UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE in big red caps whenever their trap sense starts tingling.

My Experiences with Voice Chat:
Living In The Chat?
A guy I met on Argo, Outtamyway, says he "Lives in the chat". In his opinion, "You can never be fcked by using chat", theres fewer mistakes, less miscommunication. Anything important to be said is less likely to be missed, because it persisits as a text messege. Why did he say this to me? Why did I adopt my policy of not using voice all the time at this point? It was during an Elite 3-man run on Sacrifices while I was around lvl 6. We were halfway through near the Skeletal Mage and I asked "Where's the shrine on this map? I dont remember." He then blows up at me (ironically over VC) and demands why I didn't read the chat. Apparently one line up the other member of our party had already asked the same thing. I personally thought he was too choleric, but he did have a real point. I dont know how it is for others, but If the majority of the party doesnt have voice, I dont think using VC is the best idea. For whatever reason, I feel I'm more likely to miss stuff being said If I'm using an entirely means of communication than the majority of the party.
I dont really talk to him, but the one or two times I have since, he still swears he "lives in the chat."
It wouldnt be until much later, that a mission I was on was actually fubarred due to VC issues, which is my next story.
You said.... what?

I was on argo with Headstart Rogue in an Elite run of Archer Point Defense. The run from the very beginning is kind of "eh", and I really start to think we're not going to make it when we hit the 3 minute mark, which I comment on in chat when we stop to shrine. Despite having run it at least twice on my main and once on one of my other toons at the time, I really didnt know the map that well, so I've been following everyone else. Well, near the end when we've got less than 90 seconds left and we need to find the enemy commander, 2 guys in our party run off somehwere else. I ask "Where are you going?" in the chat.

Well, after the mission times out and we fail, one of the 2 guys blows up at us in chat saying "I told you it was times, you guys are alll f-in' idiots. Its the same everytime, every group. You should learn to listen." They leave group and I send a tell back to one of them. The brief conversation goes like this.

" *scrolls back in chat* I dont remember you saying anything."
"We were noting the time left every 30 secs and we told you guys not to go off towards that optional."
"But you didnt say anything, and no one said anythign to you"
"Well maybe you should check if your goddmn voice is on,"
*I look, and am surpised its actually not enabled, despite the fact that I had used it a few hours ago*
*I ask the party what the 2 guys said, and no one can tell me. The remaining 3 of the party had their sound off as it was very late, about 4am. I tell this to the guy and say that perhaps he should have checked that everyone could hear him, and if he got no response he should have asked in the chat.*

"Thats no f-in' excuse you're all just idiots, what ya'll need is to pay attention, and have some good memory and quick thinking."
"Thats still no reason to insult everyone. Theres no need for that".
THEN I get a tell from the other of the 2 guys with an ****, and I ask why is he getting involved in this?
"Well, your btching and whining to my IRL friend, you know he is right."
"I'm saying theres no reason for him become so irate over a single run-what did we lose, 15 minutes?"
This ticks him off, and before the conversation can continue, I squelch the both of them. We fill in our 2 empty spots and go in again, and you know what? The quest goes better this time and we make it, albeit with about a minute left.

Talking To Much, Really?
Now I've never met someone who I thought talked to much over VC, nor seen someone accused of it. Though very recently I was accused of it, and even not reinvited because of it.
How did it happen?

About a week ago I was doing a 6th run of Reavers Fate. I had set up an LFM for the raid earlier and after waiting a while a guy sent a tell to me, asking me to join his raid party.; we had just stepped in and I casually mentioned something I had read over the forums, and started a brief convo with someone else (IIRC another caster by the door). After buffing the party leader says over VC "Well, we should really be focused now, you gotta be focused during a raid." Me and him are over there by ourselves, the AE's not having spawned yet. Leader tells everyone else to run over to the reaver and get in front of him try to get charges. I really didn't think everyone needed to be over there, and that the tank ought to be the only one actually in front of him. I dont bother commenting, and sorta chill with the wiz (whose on Chat) whose sets up some dancing balls for the AE's which have yet to spawn. We get hit by anti grav, and I take about 90pts of damage. I take out a wand, and attempt to heal myself when suddenly, the tank loses aggro for some reason and the reaver runs over to us by the door. (I have no idea why, as neither of us have done anything to draw his ag). I get hit by acid rain or lightning for 40dmg. I try to move out the way and snickersnack, 50pts slash dmg, 50pts slash dmg....I'm now dead. Then someone else dies, then the Wiz follows. NOW the AE's spawn and I can only watch from the time out room as people are knocked down all over the place and begin to die. Over VC party leader asks us to rez out and break group, so we can reset.
Well, after I rez out I run back over ( as I forgot I was bound in the portable hole; so was the Wiz who I waved at as I ran back, teleported back into GH.)
Well...after I hot minute of not being invited, I send a tell and ask "?". No response.
I go to the Group tab and find the LFM, and click on it and wait another hot minute. I send another tell. I get back, "Srry, I just think you arent very helpful. You died, and talk the whole time."
"TBH I've never died that fast in any quest, and not this either raid. And I really dont think, I caused any significant distraction to you, or myself. I'm sorry if I did, but even so I dont think thats the only reson why why things went "
"Well, Its nothing personal Is all. Srry."

Xalted_Vol
08-03-2010, 05:35 AM
People should communicate man it helps the game progress.

FluffyCalico
08-03-2010, 05:39 AM
I have been in the most boring groups PEOPLE DO NOT TALK in the group basic tactics or anything. I am at the point where I just leave NO MIC BYE BYE.

If you really NEED to talk tactics it was a noob group to start with.

dunklezhan
08-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Also, don't be afraid to set up your audio settings to hear other people. Here is my method:

Voice Volume: 1.00
All Other Sound Effects: 0.02
Then adjust your computer's volume as need be, and if someone is very loud tell them they don't have to be so loud.

It is very easy to be quieter, it is harder to be louder. (My mic gain is at 1.00 and my threshold is at 0.00, if you have all of your volume settings high, I'll have to shout into the mic for you to hear me =) )

Extremely helpful advice, thank you! +1 for you.

I would never kick anyone for not having voice, because I know there are completley deaf/hearing impaired people, as well as people who may not even have a mic (and its a F2P game. People may simply not be willing to spend the money). I personally prefer not to talk (my 3yr old sleeps in the room next door and it can disturb him - my voice penetrates walls quite easily, apparently), but I do try to listen on my headphones.

After joining a group, first I say hello, then I say 'are we using voice?' followed by 'I can hear but won't be talking' depending on what time I'm playing. if I've started the group, then I do the above every time someone joins. if it turns out someone doesn't have sound/can't here, then I would push for not using voice at all, out of a sense of inclusion.

I find that works fine. People are generally ok provided they know up front what the situation is. If someone wants to /ragequit or /ragekick over it, then I didn't want to run with them anyway.

Irinis
08-03-2010, 06:03 AM
If you really NEED to talk tactics it was a noob group to start with.

Some quests have more than one way that it can be done, so if half the group does it the other way that might be a problem. And every pug should discuss tactics to be sure everyone's on the same page.

Ashurr
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
With my accent, alerting other players to traps is all I use VC for. I got tired of all the Billy Connoly jokes.( ex - " You sound like that squirrel from Open Season, lawlz!")

systemstate
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't mind people refraining from using their microphones as long as they can type quickly and accurately.

I do have an issue with those same people insisting that others type instead of using voice.

The exception would be if they are the leader of the party- Okay, your party, your rules.

Demitra
08-03-2010, 02:03 PM
I was in a shroud pug last friday night, had eight and were waiting to fill. The group leader was talking quite a bit, but he was difficult to understand. Sounded like he might have been drunk, but could have been other reasons (illness, speech impediment, etc.). A few of the other group members start questioning him about whether he was drunk, which he denied. After a few minutes, three of the party members drop simultaneously, then appear in another shroud group that was lfm. I sent a tell to one asking why they left, they said "group leader was drunk."

I decided to stick it out, we filled the group and had an extremely smooth shroud run. The leader did a fine job. The point: voice chat is not always helpful.

Rubiconn
08-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I use VC in game and through Teamspeak. I often make no sense because I say something to the party instead of my guild, it can be confusing.

I know that my wife(not originally from the USA) did not use voice chat because she has a quiet voice but has used it more and more recently and has gotten more comfortable. I

I feel that people being difficult to understand adds to the role playing aspect because its not like every race or person would speak the same.

SINIBYTE
08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm from New York, we use [expletive] as a comma. I shouldn't be talking to anyone.

Roman
08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
1. Some people, myself included, find it relaxing to not talk. I talk all day at work. when I relax I just want it to be quiet or listen to music. Or occasionally I will listen to guildies if they are being amusing, which is actually quite often.

2. Eventually most everyone will have run every quest/raid a hundred times and could do it in their sleep, so on very rare occasions is there any need to talk strategy or coordinate events.

3. Most chatter, and this is the most important point, can be summed up as a monologue or dialogue about...

Lag
Loot
Let me tell you how awesome my build is.
Let me tell you about my gear.
Listen to me complain about lag, loot, my build or my gear
Listen to me complain about a noob
And on rare occasions you get the treat of listening to some noob diseminate advice about things they clearly know nothing about.

And then there are the snack munchers, heavy breathers, chronic coughers, snot suckers, throat clearers, and occasionally a farter that add unpleasant moments to my evening of relaxation. I can do without all of them, thank you.

mics suck, learn to type. Or say something funny and witty or at least remotely insightful without any of the extra sound effects.

Almost forgot my favorite group. The Ragers, those very special people who flip out when something goes wrong and just about have an aneurysm while screaming at some poor guy who didnt play the video game perfectly.

I would prefer they remove voice chat altogether, see what that does for the lag, and give us back our 10% melee alacrity.

XaatXuun
08-03-2010, 07:13 PM
well I am on Satellite connection, so did you want to here "Trap!!" 3-6 seconds later

Tho I still plan to do it, but seems my mic is broke or not working, so not going to worry about it.

only things I want to hear, are directions, to halt, go, left, right, there is a trap over there , stuff like that. and the occasional Role play
The time at the shrine I guess could be more social time

But I think the voice chat in game, was a great idea for the role players

AyumiAmakusa
08-03-2010, 07:16 PM

I love the voice chat feature. Sure there's problems with people talking too soft or too loud but just tell them to speak up or shut up. If they don't listen just /squelch and move on. I love hearing how different people have so many different voices and especially how some people have an accent. I'm an audiophile. Plus, when people talk about stuff unrelated to the quest, it just gives me more entertainment and it's like listening to the radio.

BrinLondo
08-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I think you said it all. I am a mic-ed guy, but I normally don't use it, except when playing my rogue to say, "trap!" "back up..." and "you really should stay behind me."

Truth is I don't have much to offer usually that isn't already being offered by a Mic person. I don't have a desire to be "heard." I've been in Shroud runs where there have been too many people talking on Mics--all offering their strategies. Far too confusing.

I'll use it where and when, but for the most part, I'll key. I do find some value in the *ding* of a party message or tell.

thenalim
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Well... I use the mic a lot. But then I mostly party with people I know.
The reason I mostly party with people I know: The damned mics.
I cant listen to music because I need to hear what the other people are saying or they will think I'm rude. 90% of the time I don't want to hear what the people in the PUG are saying because its absolutely redundant.

The over-use of mics in DDO makes me solo 5times as much as I had if there was no built in voice chat.

I almost forgot:

And then there are the snack munchers, heavy breathers, chronic coughers, snot suckers, throat clearers, and occasionally a farter that add unpleasant moments to my evening of relaxation. I can do without all of them, thank you.

mics suck, learn to type. Or say something funny and witty or at least remotely insightful without any of the extra sound effects.

Almost forgot my favorite group. The Ragers, those very special people who flip out when something goes wrong and just about have an aneurysm while screaming at some poor guy who didnt play the video game perfectly.

I would prefer they remove voice chat altogether, see what that does for the lag, and give us back our 10% melee alacrity.

Why cant people even use the "push to talk" feature??
Why do I need to listen to their bodily functions and conversations to girlfriends/wives/friends/guilds?
Voice activated chat is a thing sent straight from the infernal abyss and should be fought with nails and claws and all the cone of colds we can muster.

TigrisMorte
08-03-2010, 09:12 PM
But When you realize my fem drow wiz is run by a 46 long haired married dude with kids who has no interest in joining you for a "personal" chat, you'll quit hitting on her and my 15 year old daughter and I shall loose the bonding of her telling me how to smak you to earth without totally running you off. Not that I could talk anyway through the ROFLMAO!
Ah, great times on the interwebz!

Tinrae
08-03-2010, 11:27 PM

^^ This!

I am one of those people who is hard to hear on the mic. I *do* try to speak, but most players have a hard time hearing me even though all my audio threshholds are at max (have this same issue on LoTRO too, but not on Xfire, Yahoo IM, Vent, or TeamSpeak).

Also, some players are darn annoying on voice chat. Some yabber about unrelated stuff that I don't care to know - got treated to a 'my wife is a *****' tirade from a random puggers a few nights ago.

Blessing and a curse, I tell ya.

phalaeo
08-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm from New York, we use [expletive] as a comma. I shouldn't be talking to anyone.

Og, me too. People seem to chuckle when I pipe up, but I'm sure I've offended plenty of ppl on Argo.

phalaeo
08-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Why cant people even use the "push to talk" feature??

TBH, my game is bugging out where all my kepmaps run to default every time I log off. And I'm tired of resetting them.

Daggertooth
08-04-2010, 03:01 AM

First of all, I rarely if ever listen to voice chat. Playing with and without voice chat on are two ENTIRELY different things.

Without Voice Chat: Music, sound, atmosphere. Authentic characters, with realistic names. You feel the presense of the people you are playing with from their characters and the effort they put into the game. Limited communication via text when necessary.

With Voice Chat: More like a poker game. Being subjected to every stupid thing people think they should say to 'break the silence'. Music/sounds turned way down.. barely audible in the background so that you can make out what people are saying. More often than not.. your playing with someone who thinks they are charming/funny and their obnoxious 'toon' which is usually some idiotic word that is supposed to be clever.

I am not saying one is better then the other. And I am not saying that I don't want to socialize with people in the game. I am saying that when I play DDO, I play for a quality experience. I am not shooting the **** with the guys with the game as a side note. If I wanted to do that, I'd go play pool etc or go out to a bar.

FluffyCalico
08-04-2010, 03:13 AM
I think you said it all. I am a mic-ed guy, but I normally don't use it, except when playing my rogue to say, "trap!" "back up..." and "you really should stay behind me."

If its a trap that could kill what I am on I will be standing there beside it waiting on you to turn it off. If it won't kill what I am running I will wait for you on the other side.

shadowhop
08-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Voice chat can be very usefull when someone explaines a part of the quest to you. (i have a new monk who had to do the swimming part in the Crucible for example)

Also i am no native english speaker wich makes typing even harder, while speech is much easier as long as you can speak without much of an accent.

(sorry for my bad english :) )

Alabore
08-04-2010, 05:31 AM
There's no way to individually adjust volumes.
* SNIP *
Two, waaaaay too many people think I want to hear every stupid thing that crosses their pea brains. Shut up already!
Diarrhea of the mouth is not an attractive quality!
^
As they say, QFT.
Nothing breaks immersion, for me, like random banter over VC.

So if you are the type that requires VC to play, then I am not going to be in your group. Your loss not mine.
Being hearing impaired, I would have to have the volume almost maxxed
Text chat is superior in all regards. I KNOW who spoke when text chat. Even if I missed it, I can scroll back and see what was said.

Same here.
Not hearing impaired but non-native speaker.
Text is much simpler for me to decipher.

3. Most chatter, and this is the most important point, can be summed up as a monologue or dialogue about...

Jokes.
I witnesses an avoidable party wipe because people - grown adults from the sound of it, too - wouldn't read chat and kept joking over VC.

With Voice Chat: More like a poker game.

And that's why I'm developing a deep seated dislike for VC.

:D

To the OP: sorry but not signed.
Most of us know the quests already - or can read the wikis.
We don't really need to extensively discuss strategy over VC anyway.
Just let us know if we're doing optionals, or if it is just a straight run to completion.
If we can BYOH, we can sort ourselves out without VC.

:)

Bigrtt
08-04-2010, 05:45 AM
I don't talk into a mic fullstop. I just find it seriously weird talking to a screen, so I don't do it. Of course, there's those times in pug groups where you just wanna yell at someone to stay back, dont touch a thing etc etc...

Daggertooth
08-04-2010, 07:28 AM
I have never used voice chat. I absolutely hate it. The main reason is that when I'm seated, relaxed and into the game, I am not in a mood to talk. Watching a movie is a good comparison. If you are engrossed in the movie you don't want to talk and good god you don't want to have to endure someone else talking.

I really don't see how voice chat isn't seen to be nothing more then a complete joke these days. For years we had to endure the voice nazi's and their 'it's ok if you don't want to talk, but at least turn it on so you can hear us'. As if we're shy or something or afraid to talk. Personally, I have spoken in front of 2000 people. I don't talk in the game because I think its extremely rude. What people need to realize is that we just don't want to effing hear it.

Even to this day in the deep south.. I mean... in the low lvl groups.... you still get people 'instructing' people how to turn on voice chat.. like they would have it on if they could but just can't figure it out.

Eugel
08-04-2010, 08:22 AM
I have several reasons why I don´t use voice chat.

The sound quality of DDO´s voice chat seems to vary extremely. Some people you can hear loud and clear, others you will only know they are talking because their name turns green. Some will just hurt your ears...

Also, I am a rather shy person, so I honestly don´t feel very comfortable speaking to people I don´t know, especially as english is not my first language.
I understand most of it, as long as the VC quality of the speaking person is ok (which is rarely the case)

And it´s not very comfortable to wear a headset for a couple of hours.

I don´t turn voice chat off, but I prefer when people type.

Alabore
08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I am anything but shy.
But as these gentlemen have politely pointed out, VC breaks immersion.
A lot.

Don't make us disable it altogether, or force SP refugees away, back to playing NWN2.
Don't be lazy, please type.

;)

PNellesen
08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
But as these gentlemen have politely pointed out, VC breaks immersion.
A lot.

Yeah, I've found that as well, especially when you have a kid with push-to-talk disabled who's tinny pop music is bleeding through (ugh).

That said, I DO like having the mic for "emergency" situations - for instance, when you know there's a trap ahead and the person who typed "I haven't done this one yet" is heading right towards it. I'd rather break the immersion to try and save a fellow party member than sit and wait to take their stone to the shrine...

Eckenwiler
08-04-2010, 04:38 PM
I've been reluctant to join a group because I have no mic.....lol....now that doesn't seem like such a problem. Thanks for the thread OP. In fact, if I can figure out how to hotkey a phrase, like Tammuz suggests I'll be golden.

Alabore
08-05-2010, 06:42 AM
In fact, if I can figure out how to hotkey a phrase, like Tammuz suggests I'll be golden.
Macros.
But last I tested it, the feature was bugged so text wouldn't appear in party chat window, where it would be most required.

Now, this is where text bubbles over a char's head would help.
If they gave us options to filter them on guild/party basis, we'd be fine.

Random musing: I am a well-meaning netizen, I hand out freebies to newer players, I don't troll, grief or harass, but sometimes I really need to filter some of this burgeoning web world out of my gaming experience, without having to physically pull the plug on my router...

:rolleyes:

Arel
08-05-2010, 07:11 AM
For me, the advantage of voice chat over typed chat is mainly the speed, if I see the person at the front of the party is about to run into a trap, they need to know RIGHT NOW, not in 10 seconds after I move my hand from my mouse, find the keys, and type. That, and I LIKE the random banter, comes from playing with Ventrilo on all the time in WoW.

That being said, I have two general rules:

1. If I notice that I'm the only one using voice in a group after a while, I'll stop using it except for sudden warnings or explanations.

2. If someone doesn't have the green 'vc active' symbol on their icon, I'll not use voice at all if I can help it. If someone else is using voice, I'll keep it mainly to random banter and mention that said person can't hear.

Number 2 being said... I really don't mind having to type, except for those emergency situations. But if you don't want to listen to voice chat AT ALL, don't just mute everything on the slider; uncheck the box that says 'enable voice chat' so the rest of us can tell at a glance that - for whatever reason - you can't hear us.

Arel
08-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Macros.
But last I tested it, the feature was bugged so text wouldn't appear in party chat window, where it would be most required.

Start your macros with /p, that's the command for your text to go to party chat if you're typing in the general window. I use it all the time, I like a lot of screen space so I only have the one chat window. Too easy to miss a message if you're in guild-only or party-only.

Alabore
08-05-2010, 08:45 AM
That, and I LIKE the random banter, comes from playing with Ventrilo on all the time in WoW.

That's wonderful for you.
I head mussels are scrumptious too.
Some love steak though.

Start your macros with /p, that's the command for your text to go to party chat if you're typing in the general window.
Problem with /alias is, emotes don't seem to work if you send them to /party.
I couldn't find a way to create a macro to say "TRAP" and flash out the stop icon, in a couple key presses.
If any of you gents found a way to, please let the typing folks know.

Daggertooth
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Now that you've got the voice off... the next thing you have to learn is not to announce traps...

If you think about it .. should there ever really be a need to announce traps?

The person in the front of the group obviously doesn't have a problem with them, so everyone should have a nice view of it when it goes off.

If the group is moving at a cautious pace, well if someone gets the DM text, there really shouldnt be any reason to have to tell everyone else. They either disable it or they trigger it and evade so that the group can figure out a way to navigate it.

The actual truth of the matter is that there is No reason to have to communicate anything at all either in text or voice. Everything you need to do in the game can be done without any communication whatsoever. Communication does nothing but detract from the immersion of the game, blatantly in voice. Text is not so bad.. but if you have a problem typing something, maybe you shouldnt really be having to type it anyway. Asking for a buff? Provide it yourself, do without it or maybe you didn't belong in that difficulty?

This is my opinion, but the game is MUCH more exciting with 6 grim, silent adventurers, than 6 whiney gamers.

Alabore
08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Now that you've got the voice off... the next thing you have to learn is not to announce traps...
This is my opinion, but the game is MUCH more exciting with 6 grim, silent adventurers, than 6 whiney gamers.
Ah, yes, definitely "manlier".

;)

Now, I had both good and bad experience with VC; I usually leave it on, but politely ask people to type important stuff.

I had terrible runs with people who did not use VC/Party text at all, and relied on Vent servers or private TS to convey mission-critical information.
That stuff would be better left for guild-only nights.

I don't really think there is a "good" way or a "bad" way to run DDO.
There is a fun, and not fun way.
I noticed, what's fun for me, might be not fun for somebody else.
When possible, I politely state my needs; sometimes people comply.
When they don't, and I stop having fun, ALT-F4 is my best friend.

It's not like they are paying me to play the game.
It's the other way around.
The days it feels like a chore, I'm back doing something more productive.
It's a game, it's also a service, I take it seriously, but I'm not changing my habits so somebody else can have fun while I am not.

Daggertooth
08-06-2010, 12:22 AM
The days it feels like a chore, I'm back doing something more productive.
It's a game, it's also a service, I take it seriously, but I'm not changing my habits so somebody else can have fun while I am not.

Everyone plays the game for different reasons. I think its blatantly obvious that some of the people like to use the voice channel to practice their 'managerial' type skills. Hey if people want to do that and other's want to listen then so be it. But you have got to get your head waaaaaaaaayyyyy out of your a** if you think that the rest of us are going to be playing that game.

The real joke are the ones who think they are the 'good leaders'. They lead all the successful raids etc..Let me tell you something about leadership: You may have conquered the video game by barking orders to everyone and laying out the exact plan as according to how you were told.. or maybe even how you yourself figured it out...yeah you had all the basis covered... But let me tell you... you know NOTHING about leadership.

Keep quiet and let things fall where they may.. and then succeed.. and then I'll say you've taken your first step on the road to being a leader.

Mrkita
08-06-2010, 01:36 AM
I don't VC Much, mainly cause I haven'y played for long, and not confident to talk to others yet. But my opinion is if you don't want to have people talking when you're doing dungeons and stuff. Go play Oblivion or something where you don't have to worry about it. These kind of Games are made for people to meet each other through a common interest and for them to talk about different things, whether its game related or not. The only reason, aside from i like these kinds of games, that I'm playing DDO is to meet people. Yesterday I was running Misery Mountain with an American (i'm Aussie), It was interesting to see the difference in the way we see things.

Prime Example - One of my friends plays DDO and WOW and he met a few guys from Different Places around Australia and after 4 years of Gaming together, Never meeting until that point, all the guys came together for a party up on the Gold Coast in Queensland. A few of them then came to his wedding, and they're really good mates now.

DANTEIL
08-06-2010, 02:04 AM
So here's the thing: While I agree that voice is much faster and more efficient for game purposes (especially if you have issues like I do with the chat window not accepting what I type), I'm simply shy when it comes to talking on the mic. When I join a party I prefer to type until I get a sense of what the preferred communication method is going to be. If it seems that most everyone else is using voice, then I will pipe up on voice but I almost never say all that much -- especially once I am in the quest because I am usually concentrating on trying not to get killed.

Also, I have found that in some parties it is hard for me to break into the flow of the conversation if there's a lot of talking going on. Or I'll get one of those moments where someone else starts speaking at exactly the same moment. Awkward. I just find that I don't have a lot of say and I'm not great at chit chat with strangers. And the more that other people are chatting about random things, the less that I am likely to join in.

In general, though, I don't have a strong preference for whether *other* people type or use voice. Typing is better for identifying who said what (it's hard to recognize the voice unless you notice their name turn green at the same time), but voice is more efficient, especially for complex party coordination. The whole RP immersion thing never ever occurred to me, to be honest.

Alabore
08-06-2010, 06:45 AM
But you have got to get your head waaaaaaaaayyyyy out of your a** if you think that the rest of us are going to be playing that game.

Let's keep it clear: I don't want to come off as a rebel for its own sake.
I value the social side of the game, and I am not actively trying to rain on anybody's parade.

But I draw a big thick line where and when the game stops being fun for me.
Just like anybody else would do.

When I'm in the mood for VC, I'll leave it open.
When I am not, I'll simply quit, solo or do something else.

;)

Ah, I find your peculiar way of conveying your point extremely colourful.
You might want to mind somebody's else rear-side though.
I might start and believe you harbour some... interest in mine, after all.

DelverRootnose
08-06-2010, 06:54 AM
...talk on ventrillio and are talking about you.

Daggertooth
08-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Let's keep it clear: I don't want to come off as a rebel for its own sake.
I value the social side of the game, and I am not actively trying to rain on anybody's parade.

But I draw a big thick line where and when the game stops being fun for me.
Just like anybody else would do.

When I'm in the mood for VC, I'll leave it open.
When I am not, I'll simply quit, solo or do something else.

;)

I think I hit the nail on the head myself. I play the game quite differently than most. I have next to no concern with 'completing the quest'. or 'not failing'.... or anything else that is whined about over the voice chat. Forumulating a little plan is one thing. A few amusing comments every once and awhile is one thing. I myself have brought people to tears with the comments I make in chat. But sucking each and every potential enjoyment out of the game like a cess pump by outlining 'exactly' what is going to happen, and who is doing what, and then after that , continuing to make idiot comments to 'fill the gap of silence that you finally blessed everyone with in your god forsaken raid... all for the sake of 'we aren't going to fail'... wow just wow... is all I can say.

Now obviously, whereas I am getting enjoyment out of just playing and experiencing the game, and I really don't care either way if I get that completion or raid loot... these voice chat users are seeing the enjoyment another way.. i.e. in 'we have to get the completion' and they are probably also enjoying their little audience of 6-12 people listening to them have their way. But DONT EVEN THINK about trying to mask your little voice chat melodrama leadership bull **** with a little 'fail' routine.

You people need to step waaaaaayyyy back... The person I quoted above hit the nail on the head as well.. he thinks that if he doesn't want to ENDURE the annoying talkers.. that he should go DO SOMETHING ELSE...

That has to be THE MOST RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard. I play several hours a day without ever hearing a peep from anyone. And I have a jolly good time. And yeah, every once and a while I turn on the voice chat.. and yeah people are fine.. they're just the same cool people that I would probably meet in any bar/club etc. Does that mean I want them to keep talking? Absolutely not. I turn it off and get back to playing the game.

Ah, I find your peculiar way of conveying your point extremely colourful.
You might want to mind somebody's else rear-side though.
I might start and believe you harbour some... interest in mine, after all.

Well truth be told, I can't really see a better way to describe it.. someone has to be a COMPLETE wack job if they think I am going to 'clock in' and listen to them go through their little routine. And I think its quite fitting considering how demanding most of them have been (until recently) that people should be listening to that ****.

//

Thechemicals
08-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Ingame voice chat is important in a multiplayer world. I use the mic but i dont use it much. Its not too much a fear of mic chat but a fear of getting into arguements because everyone takes things the wrong way in this game. The community has issue and ive said this before. Here is an example

Me: Im in the dungeon
Cleric: Ok im in too now

Cleric commences to run up and scout before the rest of group is inside the dungeon, and brings back a mob of 6 monsters.

Me: Smooth Move dewd
Cleric: W/e it was nothing, we are ok
Cleric: Complain much?

At this point my light humorous remark at his dumb move is taken personally and i decided to respond

Me: Boy watch your tone.
Cleric: (typing now) Boy?! lol
Partleader: Alright guys cut it out.

Rest of the run goes like this- i barely get any healing from the guy and he acts like hes got something up his butt.

Mic chat sounds like everyone is in a bad mood. The only thing that helps it is when a woman is on the mic becuase then everyone is on there best behavior.

skyking613
08-06-2010, 08:56 AM

Yes

Battlehawke
08-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I usually dont' talk on the mic, because my wife or kids are sleeping..... I like it when they are sleeping......

Battlehawke

Azmich
08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I prefer VC. I can type pretty fast and have typed for darn near 10 yrs now in these games. In fact DDO is the first game I've played that had it's own VC. After using it, I don't want to go back to typing.

And I agree w/ the OP, non-VC groups (and even ones that barely type anything at all) are totally boring to me.

Nexx
08-06-2010, 02:50 PM
There are times that I will use my mic, but other times I prefer not to.
Most of the time when I encounter people (newer players) and I use mic
all of a sudden they're like *GASP* it's a GIRLLLLLL!!!!

And then I get tells with nasty inuendo's that I could care less about.
As a female gamer, I want to be treated with respect and listened to as
an equal to the male gamer.

No, I don't want to date you. I'm married and if I weren't; I still don't want to date you.

And for those of you who like to keep voice chat on hands-free...
It's annoying to hear you munching on your food, sneezing, coughing, talking to someone in your home, hearing your kids screaming, hearing your animals going wild, hearing you move the mic, hearing you put the mic down to go afk...etc..

Please for the love of god - put your voice chat on PUSH to TALK. THanks :)

KoboldKiller
08-06-2010, 02:55 PM
There are times that I will use my mic, but other times I prefer not to.
Most of the time when I encounter people (newer players) and I use mic
all of a sudden they're like *GASP* it's a GIRLLLLLL!!!!

And then I get tells with nasty inuendo's that I could care less about.
As a female gamer, I want to be treated with respect and listened to as
an equal to the male gamer.

No, I don't want to date you. I'm married and if I weren't; I still don't want to date you.

And for those of you who like to keep voice chat on hands-free...
It's annoying to hear you munching on your food, sneezing, coughing, talking to someone in your home, hearing your kids screaming, hearing your animals going wild, hearing you move the mic, hearing you put the mic down to go afk...etc..

Please for the love of god - put your voice chat on PUSH to TALK. THanks :)

Come on we ALL know girls can't play games as well as guys. :D

Nexx
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Come on we ALL know girls can't play games as well as guys. :D

Now all of a sudden that little Nike commercial theme comes to mind..
Anything you can do; I can do better!

Talon_Moonshadow
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
The most fun groups are the ones where people talk.

Assuming that one guy doesn't talk too much, too loudly....
And the group has roughly equal volume.
And the conversation is more or less about the game, preferably the quest we are on.
Or at least is entertaining in some way. (not drunk)

The best coordinated parties talk as well. To convey tactics efficiently.

Love this game, because of it's built in voice chat.
But it does need a makeover...at least about the volume thing.

(I wouldn't mind a voice only squelch option btw.)

Alabore
08-06-2010, 05:36 PM
But It could Use A Makeover...at Least About The Volume Thing.
...(i Wouldn't Mind A Voice Only Squelch Option Btw.)
^