PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Evil? (and fragment of the silver flame)

RS-Makk
11-24-2009, 06:55 AM
What exactly does protection from evil do? Does it really grant me a deflection +2 AC bonus and resistance +2 and a few other things from ALL evil creatures? What mind control effects does it protect against?

I ask because it seems the trinket 'fragment of the silver flame' is basically very powerful given it grants permanent protection from evil and there are so many evil creatures.. thus perhaps making it such that I dont need to use an item slot for an item of protection +2 and an item of resistance +2.

Adarin
11-24-2009, 07:08 AM
You've got the spell effect correct. Indeed it is a strong spell for 1st level, but the "evil" limitation is a potentially huge one. Either way it protects from "mind control" in the form of dominate (which is the only spell that can actually control a character in the game as it stands).

I wouldn't be so fast to swap out your general resistance/deflection item for the silver flame trinket. Any elemental or animal you face will not be evil, also, most humans you face in the middle levels are neutral and not evil.

If you are facing undead, demons/devils, or monstrous humanoids and aberrations then I'd say it's safe to wear that, but otherwise don't assume you're going to get much use out of the token.

Kriogen
11-24-2009, 07:15 AM
I think Prot from Evil stacks with other deflect, resist items or spells.

sephiroth1084
11-24-2009, 07:19 AM
I think Prot from Evil stacks with other deflect, resist items or spells.
I can never seem to find a definitive answer on this one.

In any case, the two most common (only?) instances of mind-control players need worry about are when fighting vampires and when fighting mindflayers.

tihocan
11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I can never seem to find a definitive answer on this one.
Me neither. Obviously it's not supposed to stack, but it's been reported multiple times to actually stack. It may have been fixed though since last report I've read was quite a long while ago.

sephiroth1084
11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Me neither. Obviously it's not supposed to stack, but it's been reported multiple times to actually stack. It may have been fixed though since last report I've read was quite a long while ago.

Personally, I think it should stack, if only to make the spell worth casting in more than a handful of quests.

dragons1ayer74
07-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I am quite sure that prot from evil will stop the mind control from the vampire in the blood crypt.

Mockduck
07-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Indeed, it's great against vampires and mind flayers, the domination attack the vamps use is countered by the trinket.

augie
07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Haven't had a chance to verify it 100% myself, however I've heard that Protection from Evil also guards against the Command and Greater Command spells, in addition to Dominate as mentioned earlier.

MrCow
07-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Haven't had a chance to verify it 100% myself, however I've heard that Protection from Evil also guards against the Command and Greater Command spells, in addition to Dominate as mentioned earlier.

Protection from Evil from a spell effect (and not a worn item effect) will protect against Command effects. Technically, this is a bug if going by Module 3 release notes (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Module_3.0:_Demon_Sands), which was the last time any information was given on the intended behavior of Protection from Evil.

Darkrok
07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Protection from Evil from a spell effect (and not a worn item effect) will protect against Command effects. Technically, this is a bug if going by Module 3 release notes (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Module_3.0:_Demon_Sands), which was the last time any information was given on the intended behavior of Protection from Evil.

Does that mean there's a difference between the spell PFE and items with PFE as an effect?