PDA

View Full Version : Market for discontinued items?

gumpnutt
11-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Is there a market for discontinued items? Like Trogskull Helm, Ornamental Sword... etc.,?
I know some games have people who enjoy collecting rare or discontinued items, just wondering if that is the case in DDO as well?

Jay203
11-23-2009, 01:25 AM
good luck convincing those collectors to part with them :D:D:D:D
~hugs his unbound Blackwidow Bracer and unbound Golden Cartouche~:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

asphodeli
11-23-2009, 01:27 AM
it depends on the items - there are some old items that are good, but they were "nerfed" by making it BtC or BtA, so I would say yes, there is a market, just that most of the players will be unwilling to part with such items

gumpnutt
11-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I was just wondering because I'm returning to an old account and I have a few trogskull helms and an ornamental sword. They aren't amazing or anything, but I'm not a collector. I just don't want to sell them to a vendor if people might actually be interested in them.

If they are worth anything, what might be a rough value?

Thanks for the responses too, by the way!

Kralgnax
11-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, the short answer is Yes, they're worth something to somebody, and quite a lot to the right person.

As always, discontinued items with powerful effects (if tradable) can potentially be worth huge prices - think of Manastones, Circlet of Shadow(s) , or original Rubicite in old Everquest. Even items with only a distinctive appearance, however, can retain significant value.

The problem is finding a collector, as the market is typically profoundly illiquid, and all pricing is transactional - fair market value has no meaning in this context, as there is no "market" in an economic sense.

Good luck!

tihocan
11-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Unless you can find a collector junkie who somehow has only recently started to play and still has money to waste.... get rid of them. They have no "market" value because there's not really any market for such old useless items, even if with a lot of luck you might find someone interested in them.

gumpnutt
11-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info. Since I don't have any 'great' items the best bet looks to be maybe putting them on the AH for bidding. Who knows, maybe a couple of people will take interest in them.

Thanks again all for the info!