PDA

View Full Version : Two questions regarding my Ranger

lppmor
11-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I have to make two choices for my Ranger soon.

First is a feat at lvl 9, considering I have all Tempest requisites so far. Improved Critical comes to mind of course, but since I use axes (which have a low crit chance), additional 5% critical won't help so much on dps, right? Another options are Power Attack (for more dps, yet lower hit rate) and Toughness (for much more hp with enhancements). Any suggestion?

Second choice is a third favored enemy at lvl 10, considering I have already Undead and Giant. I mean, which kind of enemies will I face the most from lvl 10 to 14, making worth a favored? Constructs, Elementals, Evil Outsiders?

hydra_ex
11-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I have to make two choices for my Ranger soon.

First is a feat at lvl 9, considering I have all Tempest requisites so far. Improved Critical comes to mind of course, but since I use axes (which have a low crit chance), additional 5% critical won't help so much on dps, right? Another options are Power Attack (for more dps, yet lower hit rate) and Toughness (for much more hp with enhancements). Any suggestion?

Second choice is a third favored enemy at lvl 10, considering I have already Undead and Giant. I mean, which kind of enemies will I face the most from lvl 10 to 14, making worth a favored? Constructs, Elementals, Evil Outsiders?

IC: Slash is an excellent idea; at your level, you'll begin to fight giants, which have low AC but high HP, so PA would do better for your damage.

As for FE: Since you already have Undead and Giant, take Evil Outsiders now, and at 15 constructs.

Which feats did you take earlier on, also? I'd assume Dodge, Mobility SA. At 9, take PA. At 12, IC: Slash, at 15 OTWF, at 18, Toughness.

Or you could splash 2 fighter lvls for haste boost and two bonus feats.

markusthelion
11-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Imo, I'd take evil outsider as your next favored enemy, and toughness as my other feat. Hp is very, very good to have, however PA is nice as well but could wait. I thats my two cents.

fognozzel
11-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I would go with improved critical despite using axes. As a tempest you've got so many attacks that it will still add up to quite a bit of damage in a short time. For level 10 I went with evil outsiders and then constructs at 15 (also took giants and undead before that). I would still plan on picking up power attack, perhaps at 12 or 15.

Course I've only been in game for about three months so take what I say with a grain of salt, but that's what I did with my ranger and have been very happy so far.

Edited cause I'm still not fully awake.

Quintun
11-21-2009, 09:58 AM
IC: Slash is an excellent idea; at your level, you'll begin to fight giants, which have low AC but high HP, so PA would do better for your damage.

As for FE: Since you already have Undead and Giant, take Evil Outsiders now, and at 15 constructs.

Which feats did you take earlier on, also? I'd assume Dodge, Mobility SA. At 9, take PA. At 12, IC: Slash, at 15 OTWF, at 18, Toughness.

Or you could splash 2 fighter lvls for haste boost and two bonus feats.

I would not bother with OTWF that late. By 15 you can usually use two large weapons and not even notice. OTWF at that time is generally a wasted feat. THis is probably a good time for toughness, waiting until 18 may not be the best idea.